Commander Nav Screen Problems - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Points: 490, Level: 9 Points: 490, Level: 9 Points: 490, Level: 9
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Commander Nav Screen Problems

We purchased our XK used about 3-4 months ago. It is fully loaded with Nav and rear entertainment. Everything worked fine for the first few months. But a new development, the Nav screen seems to be toast. (See pic)...

I am a network admin, so I know that this screen, like a laptop screen, is likely dead. Has anyone else experienced this?? I have done a TON of searching and have come up blank.

Some of the things I've tried...

1. Disconnect battery and reconnect after about 10 minutes. (Should be noted that it doesn't seem like an electrical issue, because the audio and sirius still work)
2. Upon identifying that there was not much that I could do, I contacted Jeep. Despite the fact that we are the second owners and it is out of warranty, they are saying that there is nothing they can do.
3. I contacted Alpine in California and was told that all warranty issues have to be taken care of with the Manufacturer. They then gave me the number to there service center in New York (United Radio).
4. Called United Radio and they said that I could send the unit to them and they would evaluate it and give an estimate for free. It would likely cost about $475 to fix.
5. Called Jeep again, irate at the fact that even though it is out of warranty, it is bogus that something like this goes out after only 3 years. They said that I could take it to an authorized dealer, and they would give me an estimate, but likely would still not be able to help me out. I told him that I already know what the dealer is going to tell me. "The whole nav unit has to be replaced." For $2500, that is so far out of the question it isn't funny. I asked that if I sent the unit to United Radio and got the free estimate if that would work and was told that it had to be taken to an authorized dealer.

That is where I left it last, but I really can't believe that I am the only one to ever see this. Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepnavscreen.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2591  

06XK Ltd 5.7 Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Points: 52,702, Level: 100 Points: 52,702, Level: 100 Points: 52,702, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Just exactly what does the screen do ? Does it light up at all ? Can you see anything ? Have you tried all the different modes to see if any of them will show up on the screen ?

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Just exactly what does the screen do ? Does it light up at all ? Can you see anything ? Have you tried all the different modes to see if any of them will show up on the screen ?

When it is turned on, it goes straight to that "messed up" screen. I don't know how else to explain it. I've tested it. All modes show the same thing. It happens at boot, even with the unit turned off and just the time display.

06XK Ltd 5.7 Hemi
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Points: 52,702, Level: 100 Points: 52,702, Level: 100 Points: 52,702, Level: 100

By any chance did you do an update of your NAV disc right before this started happening ?

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
By any chance did you do an update of your NAV disc right before this started happening ?
No, but I did take it out to see what version it was. Could that have caused it?

06XK Ltd 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Andy View Post
No, but I did take it out to see what version it was. Could that have caused it?
It could have, there have been members who tried the wrong version or putting in an older version and had similar results.

Not sure what the fix is but take the disc out and reinsert it, but you have to wait until it is done doing it's thing before you start pushing buttons.

A49erFan's Garage

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

Garage Thread
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
It could have, there have been members who tried the wrong version or putting in an older version and had similar results.

Not sure what the fix is but take the disc out and reinsert it, but you have to wait until it is done doing it's thing before you start pushing buttons.
Even though I put it right back in? (Didn't put a different one in at all.)

Are there threads here that deal with that issue? (My searches are coming up with nil)

I will try that fix...eject it and put it back in. How long after i eject it should I wait? Also, do I eject it with the radio portion on or off (display the time only).

Should mention that this happens regardless of whether the head unit is on or off. The screen looks the same (different colors) even if the unit is in the off mode and displaying the time.

06XK Ltd 5.7 Hemi
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Andy View Post
After you re-inserted the disc did you turn the ignition key while the disc was loading ?

Pop off the cover on the bottom of the unit (underneath the screen; has "NAVIGATION DISC" on it) by pressing the tab on the left of the cover with a sharp non-metallic tool. Gently pull to remove the cover. To eject the DVD, use a sharp non-metallic tool to press the EJECT button to the right of the DVD slot. Carefully remove the disc. To insert the DVD, place the disc in the slot until the unit accepts the disc. Be sure to replace the cover after inserting the new disc.

Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

ONCE THE UPDATE PROCESS BEGINS, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IGNITION KEY UNTIL THE PROCESS COMPLETES! PLEASE NOTE, TURNING THE KEY FROM ACCESSORY MODE TO START MODE INTERRUPTS THE POWER TO THE NAVIGATION UNIT. SO DON'T DECIDE YOU WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE YOU'RE IN THE UPDATE PROCESS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REPLACE YOUR NAV.
If the Nav unit loses power partway through the software update you could permanently disable the unit. It will need to be returned to the factory to be reprogrammed. There is no way we are aware of to force the unit to load from the DVD after a botched load attempt. So just don't mess with the key while it's doing its thing.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
After you re-inserted the disc did you turn the ignition key while the disc was loading ?

Pop off the cover on the bottom of the unit (underneath the screen; has "NAVIGATION DISC" on it) by pressing the tab on the left of the cover with a sharp non-metallic tool. Gently pull to remove the cover. To eject the DVD, use a sharp non-metallic tool to press the EJECT button to the right of the DVD slot. Carefully remove the disc. To insert the DVD, place the disc in the slot until the unit accepts the disc. Be sure to replace the cover after inserting the new disc.

Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

ONCE THE UPDATE PROCESS BEGINS, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IGNITION KEY UNTIL THE PROCESS COMPLETES! PLEASE NOTE, TURNING THE KEY FROM ACCESSORY MODE TO START MODE INTERRUPTS THE POWER TO THE NAVIGATION UNIT. SO DON'T DECIDE YOU WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE YOU'RE IN THE UPDATE PROCESS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REPLACE YOUR NAV.
If the Nav unit loses power partway through the software update you could permanently disable the unit. It will need to be returned to the factory to be reprogrammed. There is no way we are aware of to force the unit to load from the DVD after a botched load attempt. So just don't mess with the key while it's doing its thing.
It's possible. Crap...How could that damage anything but the nav portion of the unit? (Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to figure out why that would affect the display to where even the time display when the unit is off is messed up.)

06XK Ltd 5.7 Hemi
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Try it again with Jeep5253's posted instructions and let us know if that fixed it.

A49erFan's Garage

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

Garage Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.