power from da steering column - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

power from da steering column

hey, 2007 jeep commander 6cyl
can any one tell me how to remove the steering column cover, or rather whats the best way to get to the constant power wire in the steering.
and what color is the wire, i read that it was white.. i need the power for a 9inch flip down dvd/monitor.. this wire would it be the ignition wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Points: 5,557, Level: 48 Points: 5,557, Level: 48 Points: 5,557, Level: 48
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Don't, find someone that knows what they are doing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Points: 13,546, Level: 75 Points: 13,546, Level: 75 Points: 13,546, Level: 75
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvelez61 View Post
hey, 2007 jeep commander 6cyl
can any one tell me how to remove the steering column cover, or rather whats the best way to get to the constant power wire in the steering.
and what color is the wire, i read that it was white.. i need the power for a 9inch flip down dvd/monitor.. this wire would it be the ignition wire
There are three screws that need to be removed from the underside of the steering column then it splits in half allowing you to remove the top side first then the bottom.

Your best bet for a constant power source is the fuse box that's located under the dash on the driver's side. You can access that fuse box by pushing down on the lower dash panel just under the steering wheel and it opens like a hinged door downwards, you have spare cavities that you can tap in to for constant power.

If you need a switched power source (on with ignition) then you can use the left accessory outlet as a switched power source.

What DVD/monitor are you installing? I'm considering one for my Commander as well.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

flip down monitor dvd plyr/2007 commander

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Points: 31,526, Level: 100 Points: 31,526, Level: 100 Points: 31,526, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
This post will show you how to get switched power at the
driver side outlet. The procedure will work on the non switched side too.

Access Outlet

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

flipdown monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
There are three screws that need to be removed from the underside of the steering column then it splits in half allowing you to remove the top side first then the bottom.

Your best bet for a constant power source is the fuse box that's located under the dash on the driver's side. You can access that fuse box by pushing down on the lower dash panel just under the steering wheel and it opens like a hinged door downwards, you have spare cavities that you can tap in to for constant power.

If you need a switched power source (on with ignition) then you can use the left accessory outlet as a switched power source.

What DVD/monitor are you installing? I'm considering one for my Commander as well.

how you doing,
i won a bid on ebay, the total price was $105.00/ 9 inch with dvd,usb.
fm.... any how the system is called IMP TECHNOLOGY its out of china and the unit i won with a $60.00 bid, but shipping was $45.00..its actually sony, all the internal parts are sony, it also comes with a disc with 32 games. wireless game controler.. swivel screen.. its pretty good for the price.. i havent installed a radio or anything in years...i appreciate the info......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.