Jeep Commander Forum banner

Park assist problem

27K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  tankman67 
#1 ·
A few months ago I gave a buddy a jump and every since my Park assist had stopped working. I checked the fuse (hopefully the right one) and it was good but I replaced it anyway, still no luck. Anyone else ever had this problem? Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic, I couldn't find the answer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
#20 ·
I made an appointment at the stealership next Saturday to have the P41 - ignition switch recall done, and will have them check out my PA system as well.

For a few months now, anywhere from immediately after starting the vehicle to several minutes into the drive, I'll receive a warning tone with "Service Park Assist" displayed on the EVIC. Doesn’t matter if I’m backing up, moving forward, etc.

The park assist system works normally until I get that message and it turns itself off. I don't think it has anything to do with the gear shift module, because I left the gear shift in neutral and just by turning the key off and on, was able to reproduce the sometimes it works fine, sometimes it immediately throws an error.

I think I’ll start by disconnecting all the sensors, cleaning the contacts, and replacing them. I can’t in good conscience take it in without having done some of my own troubleshooting first. I’ll post an update for those interested.

#23 ·
I removed the bumper and checked/cleaned all electrical contacts. However, before doing so, I had the issue narrowed down to what I thought was a bad sensor. I covered them up one at a time and found the inner driver's side was not triggering a beep when covered. Because this sensor is not accessible with the bumper on, I swapped it with the outer passenger side sensor, so that I could put the bumper on now, and then have easy access to the sensor when the replacement arrived.

So I got everything back together, and the sensor I thought was bad, was now working! They all seemed to be working, however, that didn't stop the system from randomly disabling itself. So, I broke down and paid the $49.95 diagnostic fee. The dealer said I needed a new Park Assist Module, which would be an additional $375 for parts and labor.

Obviously I declined that. I purchased a used one on ebay for $40 shipped. It should (hopefully) arrive this week so I'll let everyone know if that solves my problem.

Reactions: ARISTEO DE LUNA
#39 ·
I removed the bumper and checked/cleaned all electrical contacts. However, before doing so, I had the issue narrowed down to what I thought was a bad sensor. I covered them up one at a time and found the inner driver's side was not triggering a beep when covered. Because this sensor is not accessible with the bumper on, I swapped it with the outer passenger side sensor, so that I could put the bumper on now, and then have easy access to the sensor when the replacement arrived.

So I got everything back together, and the sensor I thought was bad, was now working! They all seemed to be working, however, that didn't stop the system from randomly disabling itself. So, I broke down and paid the $49.95 diagnostic fee. The dealer said I needed a new Park Assist Module, which would be an additional $375 for parts and labor.

Obviously I declined that. I purchased a used one on ebay for $40 shipped. It should (hopefully) arrive this week so I'll let everyone know if that solves my problem.
Hello could you please, tell me, where is localed that Module (module park assistent)? I have a Jeep Commander 2008 whit the same issue, thank you in advacnce!

#25 ·
Yep, the only reason why you couldn't read that code yourself and fix the vehicle yourself, is Chrysler deliberately made it so you have to go into the Dealer to have them charge you to read the code, and thus hock repairs and service at a premium price to you. BTW, every Manufacturer does this, so I'm NOT bad mouthing Chrysler, I'm bad mouthing the entire industry.

I have autoenginuity, with the Chrysler extended features package, to be able to read proprietary codes from things like the Park Assist Module that is outside of the Gov Mandated OBDII, which just mandates easy reading of anything effecting emissions, i.e. all the engine codes and some of the trans codes.

The Autoenginuity is NOT very good, and very expensive, but it is the cheapest package that give you the ability to read all the fault codes in a vehicle of one manufacturer so you're NOT forced into the Dealership to pay for them to read the code for you.

Independent shops, there are tools they can get and some may have them, but its hit or miss, there are lots of bad independent shops out there that will over promise and swear to you that they have the right tools to scan for your codes and fix it, when they don't have the right tools and they'll just make random guess's as to your problem and charge you an arm and leg to change something out that doesn't fix the problem.

#27 ·
Tankman, what is involved in changing the module? Where is it located? Thanks
Creek, it was the easiest repair I've ever done. Simply fold the 2nd row driver's side seat forward, remove the little carpeted panel, unhook the module and slide the new one in. It took me all of 3 minutes. Would've been 2 minutes if I didn't have a child seat in the way!

The Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) is in this same area right next to the Park Assist Module.

Here's a photo I took. You can see the FDCM to the left.

#36 ·
hi guys, I have the same problem as topic creator...

the problem started a couple of weeks ago... first what I did to the truck was change the AC evaporator since it went out... after that I got to problems... Park assist stopped working (no lights, no message, no button working, etc)... and the other is the ESP/BAS and track control (car swerving) light came on.. I can turn off the car swerving light with the ESP button, but ESP/BAS came on...

either way... for the park assist fix... would changing the park assist module under the rear passenger seat fix it?

or could any of you help me out how to fix all this...??

I have yet to go to the stealership for the recall the have on the switch or something like that.

thanks in advance

#40 ·
#42 ·
I did not. It seemed to be plug-and-play. I would just be 100% sure the model numbers match exactly. I'm not sure if they used slightly different variants over the span of model years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.