Bluetooth/MP3 upgrade 2006 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Bluetooth/MP3 upgrade 2006

Looking thru threads, thought I would ask as well. Have 06 ltd commander with basic radio and CD player. I'm looking for aftermarket recommendation for Bluetooth for phone and audio. Anyone recently did this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Garage
I went on Ebay and purchased a used 2009 RER (DVD, NAV, Sat, Touchscreen) Low speed CAN bus.

The I got the MYGIG Lockpick from coastal tech

Found a new 2009 bezel for the commander

Instant factory upgrade that requires zero wire cutting and is supported by NavTeq maps

Dave

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 1.25" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs.
Coming soon: Nitro gear 4:10, 50" LED bar, catch can, SA hidden front winch mount, 4XGuard brush guard, Stage 2 Mopar kit for 5.7L.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I'm looking to do the same to my O6. Inwas told because of the amp which I want to replace anyway (think it's blown) that the harness was 185 from a local shop!!! It's just a single din but has radio, phone, Bluetooth all the extras. Now it's an base model so no BA sound system... anyone know what the amp powers? Was told jusy door speakers...And what's the my gig lock pin? Any help would be great bc 185 for harness I dam near dropped an egg!! Thanks guys.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM

Garage
For the lock pick information:
Chrysler Lockpick Applications
Email them and they can help figure it out for you.

For a complete factory upgrade, you will most likely spent close to $900 after all is said and done really.

$450 for a RER navigation radio from Ebay (These are the best match up for the 06-07 Commanders)
06-07 Commanders have the LOW speed bus... MYGIG radios come in to flavors, LOW and HIGH speed

$300 with coastal tech for the my gig stuff

less than 30 for a new bezel for the radio (Jeep actually makes the bezel if you want true factory, otherwise china)

$150 for brand new map software (highly recommend)

You can buy a new/used factory amp on eBay, just replace what you have. There is a Kicker brand upgrade made for the commander you can find also, it sells for about $300 on eBay also.

Factory will always work better than an aftermarket, most of the time it looks better also.

Dave

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 1.25" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs.
Coming soon: Nitro gear 4:10, 50" LED bar, catch can, SA hidden front winch mount, 4XGuard brush guard, Stage 2 Mopar kit for 5.7L.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9 Points: 489, Level: 9
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

DAve fha is for the info. So you spent 300 for the radio and it came with the lock pick? I can have it done at another local shop for $500 if I give him my radio I bought, it's a single din from. 2013 in box bean new. Went to talk about hooking it up and when I heard harness price I dam near dropped. I got it off let it go app for $35 from an older woman with a dash kit and harness for a toyota.. but he said my radio and he'll give me a double din installed with all the features 500. Ken wood (I think) still better than 1st guy. How many amps is the factory amp? And do u know if the base models have a sub? I couldn't find it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 AM

Garage
There is no sub in a commander.

There is only one AMP in the Commander, it is a 4 channel under the middle row seats. It is also integrated in the system for the car.

If the installer in not wiring up a full install and just trying to splice together your new sound system, I would walk away.

The RER radios sells for around $450 on Ebay... Just the unit. (which you can just plug in and it will work by the way)

You have to get a MYGIG adapter in addition to the radio, to enable useful functions like being able to use nav while driving and watching movies while driving.

Chrysler was super smart when they went with the MYGIG family of radios, the system is integrated with the brain of the car and not easily replaced with aftermarket. VW and Porsche, along with a couple of other makers went with this also in order to lock up their customers from tampering with their designs.

As long as you are happy with your wire looms getting chopped up, I would wait and save up for buying a factory radio. It is not like the factory stuff is crap either, do not believe any hype that any other brand is going to outperform the factory head unit.

Dave

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Points: 271, Level: 5 Points: 271, Level: 5 Points: 271, Level: 5
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

I agree - I've installed aftermarket systems and though they offer a ton of features they can be quirky. I added a Pioneer double-DIN to my Liberty and yes it has all the bells and whistles but it crashes frequently and can be very touchy otherwise.

For my XK I was going to buy an RER and Lockpick separately on eBay but I found OEMAutoPartsco.com and their RER package deal. They bundle the RER with upgraded firmware and the latest Nav update, the Lockpick, a Uconnect mic, all the cables you need and a new bezel. Purely plug-n-play and it will go in with no wire cutting, splicing, hoping or praying. Will look and function as though my Limited came with it from the factory.

The only thing I'll miss is Bluetooth audio to stream from my iPhone. At times I get bored with Sirius satellite radio and like to listen to Pandora or iHeartRadio on my business trips. I'm going to see if I can somehow stream audio through the MyGig radio in conjunction with the Lockpick. Anyone know of any tricks...?

Bob
Mk153smaw likes this.

2006 Limited
5.7 Hemi
Tow Package
Full Skids
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Garage
If you do not have iOS10 or iOS9, you will stream just fine. I use to stream movies and audio, Apple killed that with their iOS upgrade.
It was sinister of them to make it so only Appleplay enable radios will work with an iPhone now. so annoying....

Android streams just fine.

HA! I bought my stuff rom OEMauto also! good folks there. I am glad they packaged it all together now, it is a sweet deal.

Dave
TwoBobsXK likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Dave and Bob

I'm completely new at this and don't know the jargon yet. Could you tell me exactly what I need to get from that website or what the package is? Again looking for Bluetooth for phone, MP3 ability from phone, nav

Thanks
Tim
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Garage
Here is the link to the maxed out option:

MoparŪ Premium Factory GPS Navigation MyGIG RER Radio Upgrade ? Infotainment.com

That is the 'Once and Done' purchase for $1250. No splicing, just plug and go.

It does not come with the rear camera, you can buy that separate since there are many flavors on how it is done. $30 at the most.

I would talk to customer service first to make sure you have everything you need or customize.

You will also get the ability to do what I have (2 headrest screens, and rear video entertainment system if you have that factory) and have the kid conquerer!

Not super cheap, but it is 100% factory supported and come with warranties AND you can get pictures of our stuff and see how it looks prior to spending your worthy cash.

I hate customizing electronics, that only leads to fear and fear leads to hate and hate leads to too many beers and more money spent.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.