Jeep Commander Forum banner

Spare Tire Winch Stuck Won't Come Down

Tags
tire/wheel
11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
The spare tire winch wouldn't unwind at discount tire.
Anyone has experience with this and what to do?

#2 ·
Mine was stuck once, but after some hard kicks on my back it popped down. Have you sprayed inside the hole with deep creep or rust remover?

#3 ·
Mine was stuck once too, and same is 06hemixk I was able to pop it back down with some kicks. Seems like my cable was unwinding, but was snagged and wasn't releasing. But afterwards the winch didn't operate and I had to get it replaced. I was told I tightened too hard and something cracked.

If yours is broken like mine was, I recommend you buy a new OEM winch on ebay for $100 and avoid the dealer. At the time I went to the dealer and it cost $350. It's easy to remove and bolt a new one in.

#5 ·
I took my spare tire out from underneath my XK some time ago - just for that reason and have no plans on ever using that spare tire winch again. Right now, I just put my spare tire in my trailer when I'm on long trips.

I have a spare tire carrier that mounts into my trailer hitch receiver on my to-do list after the holidays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.