Jeep Commander Forum banner

3.7 XK - Is K&N (or any other) Intake worth it?

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Erk469 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the new thread on this topic that has been discussed before, but I have read through the previous threads and didn't get the answers I was looking for.

For the few XK owners out there with the V6 and the K&N intake (or any other), is it worth it? Would you buy it again?

The negative I have heard is that the filter isn't great in dusty conditions, but living in Maine, that is not a concern to me. I am looking at the 57 series and the dyno tests claim a 7.5hp increase, but I don't always trust those numbers from the production company, as I am sure they are inflated. According to your "seat test," do you notice more throttle response or torque?

The stock V6 has the power I need 95% of the time, but I am interested in adding an intake as I will be replacing the exhaust system very soon and have always been under the impression that the exhaust upgrade is pointless from a performance standpoint if you aren't getting more air into the engine.

Pleae chime in, even if you don't have this exact intake. I would like to hear all opinions.

Thanks,
Andrew

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the intake you're referring to. I notice the power at higher RPMs more than anything. It also has the vacuum sound affect (more so on cold starts), so that could be a plus or minus (plus in my mind since the V6 doesn't have a great rumble).

Is it there? Sure is (imo), just not a lot of it. You've still got a V6. You may get more power if you're doing the exhaust too.

I wouldn't buy it for fuel savings, as it just won't happen (and in the event you do get a little better MPG, it will take a long time to actually being saving money).

I don't regret my purchase at all, but when I think about it I wonder what else I could have done with the money.

#3 ·
I've got one and like it a lot. You really only get the HP in the 5200-5400 RPM range. What I do notice is the increased torque. As for the dust they make a cover for the filter and you can get them on Amazon for about $30 but since you're not too worried about that you can skip it for now. A bonus is the cool factor. It looks awesome when you pop the hood. If I had to do it again I would.

#4 ·
I am looking at getting the 57 series K&N. Does anyone have this installed? How was the install and what do you think of it?

#5 ·
I have had K&N's on gas trucks, diesel trucks and IMO, they are not worth the money or time to clean them. I don't believe they filter very well either. The last one I had was on a Powerstroke diesel and there was dirt in the intake tube that got by the filter and I cleaned the filter once a month and never drove on dirt roads here in Maine. I have a 3.7 as well and it would be nice to have a little more power but an air intake is not going to make much of a differance other than a little more noise when you get on it..

#6 ·
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but on a basically stock motor a CAI is an appearence mod ONLY. Even if it did deliver a higher volume of colder air, you would need your computer tuned to take advantage of this. As stated before K&N filters allow significantly larger particles into your engine. For many these particles never become an issue, but just know that you ARE subjecting your engine to more and bigger airborn particles than the engineers planned for.

Also look at how the stock intake extracts cold air from outside of the engine bay, while many "cold air" intakes simply suck in air from the engine bay, which is obviously hotter.

I would NEVER spend more than $100 on such a pointless mod, other than appearence, how would this be better than a home made snorkel to deliver air? (Beside a marketing department.)

#7 ·
I installed the 57 series K & N filter on my jeep but I also installed a new exhaust, I took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. I love the sound and I have more torque, but you really have to get it on a dyno before and after to really know the difference, but i love the sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.