Jeep Commander Forum banner

really bad fuel economy

20K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Centcomm87 
#1 ·
hey everyone, ive got an 06 jeep commander limeted that ive bought used 2 weeks ago and its getting terrible fuel economy, (200 kms per tank) and there was a small amount of oil in the air filter. ive checked the pcv valve and changed the filter, and everything seems fine there, so im wondering, has anyone else had the same problem where the fuel consumption more then doubled, and what might cause this? any help would be awsome

#29 ·
oh, i dont doubt that, was just wondering if its actually 200km being driven or more, like 300-350 or something and your odo was reading it off..it was a stretch, just tossed it out there..lol

#30 ·
so heres the diagnosis, its been fixed. it was a failing coil pack not providing spark to the last two cylenders, but somehow not rripping an error code??? and weve now changed oil and air filters, and new spark plugs.(the plugs in it where original factory plugs from 2006 lol) i hit the highway yesterday and got her all the way down to 14 ltrs/100 kms so between the failing ignition coils and the complete lack of mainenance from the previous owner, basically it was just running like crap. i still cant figure out why it didnt have a dtc but who knows. Thanks everyone for the advice, help and general well wishing especially 06hemixk!

#31 ·
Not a Problem Martin haha just glad you got it all fixed. Did corporate ever help you? So was it just not burning the fuel in those cylinder?

#35 ·
I feel like even with out MDS i still get atleast 14mpg highway.. i get 18.2 with it on.. Employee pricing aint bad, what did the repairs cost you from the stealership ?

#36 ·
i dont know what the cost of the repair was because the dealership paid for the repairs since i just bought it. Unforunatley it didnt compleatly solve my fuel issues. now that ive driven it a couple weeks after getting the work dont its riding around 22ltrs/100km's im just gonna start switching out the usual culprits, ir maf, pcv valve, o2 sensors. from what ive read these sensors can be off quite a bit without tripping a code and ive done everything else we can think of so... heres hoping it gets better

#37 ·
Any luck thus far Martin? This seems like a silly question, but do you know if its going to closed loop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.