Missing Transmission Dipstick! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Missing Transmission Dipstick!

OK I need some input on this small problem! I leased a 2006 JC with about 5,500 miles on it. I love this thing!!! anyways I get home and open the hood just to see were everything is at IE..oil dipstick, power steering dipstick...... for the life of me I couldn't find the damn transmission dip stick anywhere. My brain kick in and said Hey Dumbice check the owner's manual!!! I check the manual and sure enough it showed the transmission dipstick near the firewall on the right side of the engine compartment. I recheck the location and I found what appeared to be a tube (for the trans dipstick) but it had a plug in it that said "service personal only".

I took the JC back to the dealer and I said how I'm I suppose to check the fuild in the transmission without a dipstick. Their reply was that your suppose to bring the JC into the service dept. so they can check it with a special dipstick!!!!!! I said WHAT!!! I've never heard of that, so your going to charge me to bring the JC in just to check the transmission fuild!! They said yes and that Chrysler is making them do that.

Question, does everyone have a dipstick except me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Missing Transmission Dipstick!

Which engine (dictates the transmission)? Where are you located? I have a 2007 Commander (5.7L) with a transmission dipstick.

The thing is about 17 miles long and it is a bit of a trick to get it back in.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

4.7 with a dipstick. About 3 inches North West of the engine oil dipstick.

Last edited by bravo2376; 12-22-2006 at 01:06 PM.
post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Havent checked the Commander but my Magnum SRT8 also lacks a damn dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 WS7 LS1 Silver Trans Am
2006 SRT8 HEMI 6.1L Silver Dodge Magnum

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

just checked ours. no dipstick. and we're not leasing it.
maybe the 3.7s are like this. the cap says same as other posters says.

wonder what happens if you take your JC to a quik lube for service? can they check this?

From the land of the 6-time super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers!!!

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Not missing, you dont get one, instead you have a black plastic cap on the tube that dealer service only. We have a special tool for checking it, it looks a lot like a dipstick, lol. Actually it is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid not meant to be serviced and we check it with our dipstick and a scanner to reead the trans fluid temp. We then check a chart to see how high it should be at the current temp. I wouldnt let JiffyLube or any other quick lube touch my DCX trans, they really do need Mopar ATF+4 fluid to work properly. DCX not making this clear enough is what lead to so many of the problems they had in the 90s with transmissions. Trans fluid, and many others especially transfer case fluid, power steering and even coolant can be very specific from one OEM to another these days and really do make a difference so stick with factory fluids when called for.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Points: 10,005, Level: 66 Points: 10,005, Level: 66 Points: 10,005, Level: 66
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

We used to top up the tranny at the factory (LX's) but we don't even have to do that anymore.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktek01
Not missing, you dont get one, instead you have a black plastic cap on the tube that dealer service only. We have a special tool for checking it, it looks a lot like a dipstick, lol. Actually it is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid not meant to be serviced and we check it with our dipstick and a scanner to reead the trans fluid temp. We then check a chart to see how high it should be at the current temp. I wouldnt let JiffyLube or any other quick lube touch my DCX trans, they really do need Mopar ATF+4 fluid to work properly. DCX not making this clear enough is what lead to so many of the problems they had in the 90s with transmissions. Trans fluid, and many others especially transfer case fluid, power steering and even coolant can be very specific from one OEM to another these days and really do make a difference so stick with factory fluids when called for.

Could you elaborate more on this lifetime fluid thing????

1999 WS7 LS1 Silver Trans Am
2006 SRT8 HEMI 6.1L Silver Dodge Magnum

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Stats:
2006 Jeep Commander
3.7L V6

Seems Ktek01 is right on the money, I went back to dealer this afternoon talked to the Service Manager and he took the time and went into explaining why their is not a transmission dipstick on the JC 3.7L V6. he said that the owners manual's were printed ahead of time before Chrysler made the decision not to install the dipsticks (hence it shows the dipstick in the manual) also he laughed a little and said that thier is no charge for them checking the transmission fuild level, he said when the check the level and the temp of the oil this gives some idea of how the transmission's are working, and that the transmission fuild is lifetime like Ktek01 said.

I don't know if this is just for the 3.7L's or not but if you have the 4.7 or the Hemi and they have the dipstick then I would say its just for the 3.7L's not having the dipsticks. (I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you use the right Mopar trans oil as well! not after market trans oil.) The manager also said that this prevents the do it yerselfers from putting in the wrong type of transmission fuild as well as the jiffy lube outlets and other quick change outlets. So it seems that Chrysler is trying to cover its own ass from not having alot of bad transmission's. I don't mind the problem now since it was explained to me by the Chrysler Service Manager and the forums own Ktek01.

I just wish they would of explain this to me when they gave me a walk though when I picked up the JC, I should of caught this when they where showing were the oil dipstick etc was at at the time of delivery...duhhh......

Anyway I hope this helps out other 3.7L V6 owner's that fnd they don't have a tranmission dipstck as well and are scratching their heads..... Thanks again for all the input......
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman
Could you elaborate more on this lifetime fluid thing????
They claim it is filled for life and never needs to be serviced, I dont quite agree but thats the claim. I think it is more DCX trying to keep people from putting in the wrong fluid, if you search the Allpar site you will find articles about how much this contributed to their trans woes in the 90s. A lot of it is what starbuck complained about, nobody giving him a good walkthrough on the maint requirements, fluid requirements etc. The big 3 are bad about this, sales people usually dont know anything about this stuff, but can tell you on the spot exactly how many cupholders it has and where they all are located. This is how Honda really made its rep, they trained the sales staff on maint requirements and to push the need for regular service right from the start. The owners started off on the right foot and took care of their cars, which of course made them relieable and started the reputation that they still enjoy today. American OEMs like to pretend that service isnt needed and love to make such claims, the owners are only too happy to believe them, and the cars dont get serviced until they break. The big 3 still havent learned that lesson after all these years. You can improve the cars all you want, but promoting a culture of non-maintenance will still lead to broken cars and a bad reputation.

You can buy the special tool dipstick online, I believe Wyckoff Chrysler sells them and you should be able to find the chart and at least do a cold check without the scan tool. I also noticed genuine Mopar ATF+4 on the shelf at WalMart for under $5 a quart the other day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.