Transmission cooler lines high or low pressure? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,435, Level: 47 Points: 5,435, Level: 47 Points: 5,435, Level: 47
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission cooler lines high or low pressure?

Hi Team,
I need to fix my wife's Commander's leaking transmissions cooler lines. Thinking about the fix Turbodave did here at this link.

My question: are these lines high or low pressure? If they're high pressure, what kinda PSI are we talking?

06 Commander 4.7 LTD... fine Corinthian leather! And a hacked REC-Nav.

Last edited by elgineddie; 02-14-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Which Transmission do you have? Assuming its the 545RFE, since you sig says you have a V8, only the V6 has the Mercedes trans.

I do NOT know the actual pressures, BUT, if asking for the purpose of selecting hose to use, I would only use Transmission Cooler Hose. Its NOT only pressure you have to worry about, its also compatibility with the trans fluid. NOT aware of the pressures being any higher than other transmissions, so if you use "Transmission Cooler Hose" you should be fine.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thx, I'll be certain to find hose at my local Napa that's transmission-fluid friendly. Not certain which trans she has.

My main reason for asking is because I wouldn't want to simply purchase 3/8" hose and toss it in place with some hose clamps if this is a high pressure application. The danger of the hose popping off is my main concern.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgineddie View Post
Thx, I'll be certain to find hose at my local Napa that's transmission-fluid friendly. Not certain which trans she has.

My main reason for asking is because I wouldn't want to simply purchase 3/8" hose and toss it in place with some hose clamps if this is a high pressure application. The danger of the hose popping off is my main concern.
Most auto stores carry "Transmission Cooler Hose", designed specifically for tranmission cooler lines, that is what you want to ask for, if you ask for "Transmission Fluid Friendly Hose" you might get something that is NOT up to the pressures in the cooler line.

I would think the stronger screw clamp type clamps would be better than the spring clamps. I've used the screw type clamps on trans coolers for older A-727 & A-904 RWD trans for additional coolers, that the lines were all solid flare fittings and NOT had any problems. Some of the FWD trans I have had, had spring clamps OEM on the trans cooler hose, but I can confirm the screw type clamps can clamp more than the spring, so better safe than sorry.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

10-4, understood.

As for longevity, I've emailed Turbodave to ask for a long-term check-in. He's had his fix in service for about a year now and I'd love to know how it's held. If he responds to me I'll post it up.

ALSO, any idea how to tell which tube is traveling in which direction?? I'd like to add an in-line Magnefine trans filter and need to know in/out direction of travel.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Points: 4,239, Level: 41 Points: 4,239, Level: 41 Points: 4,239, Level: 41
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

I just had the same problem today. I also will be trying his fix. Ive read that Napa has better clamps then the worm type. I am just wonder what size trans hose to get.

-06 Silver Commander

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

The hose size is 3/8" ID transmission hose. Don't use fuel line.

Last edited by elgineddie; 02-14-2011 at 09:54 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Ya I was just going to get trans hose from Napa

-06 Silver Commander

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I just looked up Transmission Cooler Hose last night at RockAuto.com. They sell Gates Transmission Cooler Hose that is rated for 400PSI.

IIRC, most fuel injection hose is rated for 60-85PSI.

I don't think the line pressure gets that high in the cooler lines, BUT, pressures inside the trans can be in thousands of PSI. So, I think its a matter of pressure surges in the system can make their way through the systems sometimes and thus to the lines, so you have to have a pretty high pressure hose to ensure they won't burst over years of use. I could be wrong on that.

And its NOT only pressure rating, gasoline and oil hose can have different chemical make-up and using the wrong fluid in the hose than intended by its design, can result in weakening the hose, and then you'll get leaks or have it burst.

Fuel Injection "Clamps" have always impressed me as being a good design that would clamp the hose very tightely. Maybe NAPA has something even better. As well, you have to have some sort of crimp at the end of the line, if you're cutting metal lines, you can't leave it as a smooth line on the end. Something has to be there to prevent the hose from being forced off the end of the line. You could get a brake double flare tool, and stop halfway through the process, that would leave a nice buldge on the end of the line to prevent the hose from being forced off. Another, the ring for union fittings, either braze/solder it on the end, or just attache a union fitting, that will crimp that ring on the end of the line, then cut off the fitting.

You already have a filter in the trans, why do you need a 2nd or 3rd in the cooler lines? It might reduce flow through the cooler and heat up the trans, as well, the trans can be very sensative to line pressures, and a pressure change from a cooler in the line could effect the trans. Yea, unlikely, probably wouldn't hurt anything, but IMO, you don't need the filter, so why risk it causing any negative effect, even if its unlikely.

On the 5WA580/NAG1 trans, the output line is on the Driver's side, the return line is on the Passenger Side. This is the V6 Trans. I don't know on the V8 Trans.

"Typically" the higher hose from cooler is the return line, but NOT always, and I could be remembering it backwards, so you need to confirm it.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

I thought both lines are on pass

-06 Silver Commander

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.