front brakes popping/clicking?!? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
front brakes popping/clicking?!?

I changed my pads about one month ago (each wheel). I had previously changed my front rotors the last time I changed the pads about 40k miles previous, so I did not replace the rotors this time. Pads replaced, went on fine (used stop squeak). After putting the wheels back on and priming the brakes I took it for a quick spin to make sure all was okay and didn't notice any noise...

A few days go by and I start noticing a popping sound from the front brakes every time my direction of travel changes (forward/reverse and reverse/forward). The popping sound is ONLY heard the first time I tap the brakes after changing directions.

It made me nervous, so I pulled the front wheels back off and inspected all the parts. Everything was where it was supposed to be. I also confirmed I had the right pads. Just in case I disassembled and reassembled. Again, a few days go by and I don't hear anything, now, again, I am hearing a popping sound.

I saw a post relating to BMW's and Toyota's saying this was normal for free floating brake calipers (but this is my sixth car with floating calipers). I talked to the auto parts store (who also has a mechanic shop) and they kind of shrugged and said "don't know, could be the calipers are bad." One, I don't like to pay someone to work on my jeep. Two, I can't afford the price gouging (even at the local mom and pop shop).

Any thoughts? I noticed a TSB for an issue with bad calipers, but my jeep was built the month before the vehicles included in the recall... Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

It's a jeep thing... I am one of the few people, outside of rockcrawling, that has made use of the "if you can read this, please roll me over" sticker

77 CJ-5, 4" suspension 33x12.5 R15 BFG AT/KO
- gear shift is Budweiser tap.
07 Jeep Commander
- stock for now

03 Jeep Rubicon (still in the family - got passed down)
03 Dodge Durango SLT plus (with the 5.9L)
Farm Equipment
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Points: 6,322, Level: 51 Points: 6,322, Level: 51 Points: 6,322, Level: 51
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to bp73
i replaced the rotors on all four corners and have been getting that same click/pop during direction change as well. it's been about 5 months now and i've noticed no ill effects i used the same brand/part number of ceramic pads that hadn't resulted in the click before the rotor swap. i suppose this isn't an answer so much as someone, who's by no means claiming to be an "expert," saying the exact same thing has happened to me and seems "normal" - annoying at times, but that's about it.

On my second '06 Commander - first was a Dark Khaki 4.7, I'm now in a Black 5.7 w/ RC 2", 1.25" Spacers, Custom Spectre 4" Intake w/K&N cone filter, NGK G-Power Platinum plugs, Superchips (91+ Tune), 245/70/17 Kenda Klever MT's,
Sponsored Links

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.