Jeep Commander Forum banner

Transfer Case chain replacement.

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Eric S 
#1 ·
Anyone done this? Been searching the forum for a bit and never seen anyone mention doing this. I'm getting a lot of slack in the transfer case when shifting from P to R, and R to P. From my experience in the past, I'm going to guess I need a 3 way puller and some big socket? It's the NV245 transfer case. Also, is there a gear drive conversion available? Google doesn't give me anything, but I'd figure I'd ask.

#3 ·
Take a look at the front diff cover, there is a bushing in between the "ears" that come off the front cover and the bracket that comes down from the chassis. At least on my 06' that is making some noise when I shift from forward to reverse and back. It was allowing the front end to rotate.The dealer only wanted $55 for a new one. Hope this helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
A gear drive conversion? Like this?

Atlas-JK : Atlas 2 Speed T/C for Jeep JK's | Advance Adapters

Might have to clearance the floor a bit. Also fab up a shifter and new drive shafts. :)

Unfortunately I may be in the same boat as you. Think my transfer case chain is acting up but fist I'm replacing the front driveshaft because its CV is worn hoping this cures my problem.
If it turns out to be the transfer case time for a 241OR transfer case out of a Rubicon JK....I'm kind of hoping my transfer case is toast lol .

You can buy replacement chains for the transfer case.
CHAIN. Transfer Case for 2006 Jeep Commander. #05161964AA

I haven't checked the service manual but I don't think you need anything too special in the way of tools to change the chain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.