Jeep Commander Forum banner

Advice on Tires/Wheels

11K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
I need some advice/recommendations for wheels/tires. This is for my XK w/the 5.7 if that matters. Currently have a 2" lift, stock (plastidipped) wheels, 1.25" wheel spacers, JBA UCA's for lifted WK/XK, 255/75/17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A's. No trimming or rubbing.

After the Mud Terrains wear out, I'll be replacing them with DuraTracs. Was looking at the 255/75/R17 115S SL b/c they're the same size but not sure what the 115S SL stands for? Also, every other size for a 17" wheel on discount tire direct starts off with LT, not this one though? Can I go up to any other size w/o trimming/rubbing?

Wheels: Basically, I'm looking for some recommendations for a nice looking but not too flashy, matte or satin black wheel (all black, no chrome accents, similar to Ultra 198 Bolt). I've been looking through the forums but can't seem to make sense of the backspacing/offset. Not sure what I need to look for in those numbers. If you have any input here, please reply with photos/links. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Rough Country actually recommends running 265/70/R17's with their 2 inch lift.

Most people here that are raised 2-3 inches are running that size tire including myself.

I don't have any rubbing issues at all and I didn't have to make any modifications to the fenders or wheel wells.

My rims are 17 x 8 with 5.5 inch back-spacing.

Now that being said, it seems that every new guy that shows up here asks this same exact question, that I wind up answering pretty much on a weekly basis and I'm sure I've answered this particular question 3 or 4 times in the last month.

My point is, there is a lot of good information on this forum that you can easily find for yourself if you just take the time to dig around a little and read. Use the Search function in the top right hand corner and search for the subject you have a question about.

If you look around and can't find what you are looking for then by all means ask.

Welcome to the forum.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response.

I understand that part of my question is probably answered somewhere in the forum but I have tried looking and am still not finding anything specific on a couple of details. For other things I was just hoping to get some personal preference. Also, your reply brings up another question. You say most people are running a slightly shorter but wider tire than I am. Like I said, I don't have any rubbing issues currently. I am driving in snow around 7 months out of the year and had wider tires on my WK which felt a little too floaty in deep snow. So, if I did want to stick with the 255 /75 R17 115S SL BSW, would I have any clearance issues or problems w/any other ratings as far as load/speed rating on the DuraTrac's in particular. Or if I did switch to a shorter/wider tire, would either the LT265 /70 R17 121Q E1 BSW or the LT265 /70 R17 112Q C1 OWL be better for my rig? Will there be any ride quality issues in going from a P to LT?

In regards to rims, I couldn't find a set number for width/backspacing as a lot of people seem to be running several different combinations. This made me want to ask what others thought was best. And, I'm seeing 100 different rims that will work but was hoping to narrow that down a bit from others personal experience of value to price. I've never bought after market rims for any of the Jeeps I've had so don't know much about the different brands. Like I said, I kind of like the look of the Ultra 198 Bolt which I've seen on a couple WK's. I don't have any idea if these wheels are decent quality of not? Would really appreciate some similar suggestions for comparison. But, if I were to go with those wheels, would the 17x9 w/a -12mm offset which an online calculator I found puts at 4.53in backspace, or 8" width or work minus my wheel spacers?

Sorry for the all of the questions, but I have looked all over the forum and the internet today and am not figuring it out.

#6 ·
The tires came with the truck so weren't full tread but they only had about 8k miles on them so couldn't have lost that much. Also, I'm not billy goating the thing but have taken it on plenty of rough trails this past year and haven't had any rubbing myself.

#5 ·
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...2-25-rr-lift-17x9-wheels-265-70-17-tires.html

I'm running 5" backspacing on 17x9 wheels. Check out the pictures in the above thread. I wouldn't want the tires sticking out any further. I read somewhere that people were having rubbing issues on the front of the fender flare with 4.5" backspacing, that's why I only went with 5". Just need to do the pinch weld mod. If you're anywhere between 5-5.5", you should be good.

Reactions: Kemmer
#11 · (Edited)
Hey there, sorry to bring this up again but would like to get something rolling ;)

From what I can find out it seems that since my stock wheels have 6" of backspacing, minus 1.25" wheel spacers, I really have 4.75" of backspacing?

So I was looking at these two wheels with the intention of deleting the spacers:

PART NUMBER SIZE BOLT PATTERN OFFSET B/S

XD12279050706N 17" x 9" 5x127.00 -6 4.76

or:

XD30178550706N 17" x 8.5" 5x127.00 -6 4.51

Any reason why either wouldn't work or wouldn't be as good as the other????

Sorry for all the questions, I suck at math. Just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong parts.

Thanks!

#13 ·
i just picked up a set of 2016 Rubicon Wrangler take offs with the 255-75-17 BFG Mud Terrains. They are also available in all black instead of the matte silver. I would've preferred the all black, but got a great deal on these, and couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

#14 ·
Since I cant PM people yet I am going hope @wilkenms sees this....

I am looking at these exact tire and wheel combo. I know you sig says RC lift is that just their 2 inch or whatever it is or is there extra? how much rubbing did you have with the 255/75 MTs?

#16 · (Edited)
I too am running the 255/75 BFG MT right now (for now) with no rubbing at all, but end of the week I have to decide whether to go with...
1)Duratracs
2) Cooper S/T Maxx
3) BFG AT KO2
stickking with the same size (255/75)
I'm all ears for people's opinions as well, btw sorry to thread jack

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
1.5" Rough Country spacers
255-75r17 BFG Mud Terrains
17" Rubicon Willy rims
69,XXX miles

#17 ·
I too am running the 255/75 BFG MT right now (for now) with no rubbing at all, but end of the week I have to decide whether to go with...
1)Duratracs
2) Cooper S/T Maxx
3) BFG AT KO2
stickking with the same size (255/75)
I'm all ears for people's opinions as well, btw sorry to thread jack
Ya I'm in the same boat found some Rubicon take offs I am going to try and run until they are bald. She. You say 1.5 spacers you are talking about wheel spacers right? So you are running 255\75 on 2 inch lift with no rubbing... Did you pull the wheel wells or do the pinch seam mod?

#18 ·
Ya 2inch level kit and 1.5" wheel spacers...ya 255/75....i did the pinch weld mod...only took about 30 minutes total and most of that was waiting for paint to dry, but befor hand I would very slightly rub at full lock and hitting a bump like turning into driveway...but since pinch weld I don't at all

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
69,XXX miles

#20 ·
My new rubber is on...255/75r17 duratracs

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
69,XXX miles
nice I have always loved those duratracs, threw my lift on today along with the new tires and wheels. It looks SOOOO much better now. I will throw some pics up tomorrow once the sun is out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.