LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Putco LED Headlight Bulbs

Putco has has come out with a new LED headlight replacement/upgrade.

Silver-Lux is Putco's brightest/top of the line LED headlight bulbs - but as usual, they are not cheap.

We (Commander Owners) have to order two sets one for the low beams and one for the high-beams and each set is $230.00 so with shipping it's about $480.00 for the high & low beam LED Silver-Luxs. 289006 (9006) for the low beams and 289005 (9005) for the High Beams. A guy at one of the truck shops I go to said he put them in his work truck and said they make a huge difference, saying they look "pretty sick" so, I'm taking an expensive roll of the dice here because I don't think my stock headlights throw enough light quite honestly, especially since I switched over to the Spyder smoked headlight housings.

I just ordered them - should have them early next week.

Here is a link to the site for anybody who might be interested: Silver-Lux by PUTCO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-18-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Garage
I got oracle's version a while back. But being LED's, they have caused some slight weird problems. The stay somewhat on when you turn them off, and flicker while doing it. Please tell me if you run into this issue.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Points: 5,712, Level: 48 Points: 5,712, Level: 48 Points: 5,712, Level: 48
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I know that LED headlights have come a long way in the last couple years. Up until pretty recently I was suggesting to people that they were absolutely not worth it.

Curious to see how the cutoff looks.

I've upgraded to HIR's and those made a noticable difference for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Digging my old post up. I have 9005's and HIR1's sitting around (9011).

Installed some in fogs and in lows to have a comparison vs the stock 9145 fogs and my upgraded HIR2's (9012's) in my lows.

Looks like the 9011's in the fogs may be a bit blinding, although i wasn't on level ground. I'll have to try it again and drive it around to see what the cutoff is like @ a distance.

Fogs first:
STock (older) 9145 fogs

9011's in drivers side fog and 9145's in passenger (you can see that I borrowed my HIR1's from my denali in the background)

Ok and 9011's in passenger side low beam vs 9012's in drivers side. Note the increased color temperature (often measured in kelvins) Looks the the HIR1's are more of a cool white (more pure white, than the HIR2's which appear to be warmer (more yellow)

Cutoff still seems fine against the garage door (the light bleed you are seeing above the cutoff is actually a reflection from the metal door), hard to tell the difference in brightness there though.

Keep in mind that I am comparing HIR1's to HIR2's If i was comparing HIR1's to 9006 (our stock bulbs) the difference would be HUGE

This is with no relays or any modifications to the vehicle @ all. I have simply modified the base of the bulb so that it fits in our housings and the little guide tabs in the base of the bulb so that our wiring harness plugs in.

The 9011's are available @ rockauto for ~$25 shipped for a pair. Best bang for your buck lighting upgrade possible IMHO.

In retrospect this deserves its own thread since I suppose the title doesn't really apply anymore.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I know that LED headlights have come a long way in the last couple years. Up until pretty recently I was suggesting to people that they were absolutely not worth it.

Curious to see how the cutoff looks.

I've upgraded to HIR's and those made a noticable difference for cheap.
Gotcha lucky, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Like I said, Putco's Silver-Lux is supposed to be the latest and greatest in LED Headlight bulbs and Putco has been in business for quite a while, so, I am expecting these to be a major upgrade over the stock Halogen bulbs.

If the price is any indication, they should be pretty awesome.

Next week I will be in New Jersey for training and the lights will get here while I'm gone, but, I probably won't get to install them until the following Monday (Aug 29th).

I already took before pictures with the stock low beams on - I'll take after pictures when I install them.
luckyse7ens likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-19-2016 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Points: 5,712, Level: 48 Points: 5,712, Level: 48 Points: 5,712, Level: 48
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Gotcha lucky, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Like I said, Putco's Silver-Lux is supposed to be the latest and greatest in LED Headlight bulbs and Putco has been in business for quite a while, so, I am expecting these to be a major upgrade over the stock Halogen bulbs.

If the price is any indication, they should be pretty awesome.

Next week I will be in New Jersey for training and the lights will get here while I'm gone, but, I probably won't get to install them until the following Monday (Aug 29th).

I already took before pictures with the stock low beams on - I'll take after pictures when I install them.
Should be awesome. I am a big fan of LED's. Excited to see how they work out in our headlights.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Points: 1,944, Level: 26 Points: 1,944, Level: 26 Points: 1,944, Level: 26
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Remember you will probably have to install load resistors otherwise the canbus will think you have a burned out light and give you a warning and throw a dtc code. Since the LED pull less current the canbus thinks you have a burned out bulb. Make sure if you do install load resistors that you place them in an area away from plastic or electrical wiring etc. as they can get very hot and cause damage. It is best to mount them to unpainted steel such as a bracket or frame. I like LED's but have stayed away from them on my Commander as now instead of just a bulb you will have an extra relay, extra wiring, power supply and heatsink as well as a load resistor. Makes a complicated mess of stuff just for a headlight bulb especially with four separate bulbs. Seems like it will just add a lot of stuff that can fail.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the input bdalameda.

I read the installation instructions and there is no mention of having to add load resistors to these LEDS and I would think if it was necessary to add them, Putco would have mentioned it in the installation instructions.

These Silver-Luxs are their top of the line LED headlight bulbs and at $230.00 a set, I wouldn't expect to have to add anything. I will try them out without load resistors next week when I get back in town and see how it goes.

If I wind up having issues, I can always return them, but, I really don't expect any problems.

I've already changed out my reverse lights bulbs with LED's and have had no problems.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ehicle_id=1514

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-21-2016 at 12:10 AM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Garage
Subscribing for your results. I tried led headlight and fog light bulbs both had ballasts and neither would work in my commander. As stated earlier, resisters would have to be installed.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad2drag View Post
Subscribing for your results. I tried led headlight and fog light bulbs both had ballasts and neither would work in my commander. As stated earlier, resisters would have to be installed.
I'm curious what headlight LED brand did you try?

It's my hope that resistors are not needed with the Putco Silver-Luxs but if I have to have it done, I probably will. As I said earlier, I would think that as much as these cost, nothing would have to be added and the installation instructions (which I downloaded) don't even mention the possibility of having to add resistors. Putco is a pretty well-known and reputable company that has been in business for quite a while, so, I am putting some faith in their reputation.

One thing I did do before I ordered them was go out and check what halogen bulbs were in there so I made sure I ordered the right ones because they listed about 8 or 10 different LED headlight bulbs for Commanders. I would have been pissed if I dropped almost $500.00 and ordered the wrong damn bulbs...LOL.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-21-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
What headlight LED brand did you try?
I used superbrightleds.com brand. They were 90.00 per set. I've used the same brand in my other vehicles with success,however the commander was a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.