Jeep Commander Forum banner

My 1st post, YEAH!!!

10K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I've been a Jeep fanatic for as long as I remember and I recently purchased a couple of Commanders from being out of the seen for a while...bought an 08 Commander Base model 3.7L and realized the interior was not all that great so I searched craigslist and came across an 06 Commander that had a blown engine but had immaculate leather interior and for the price...well, it was worth it just for the interior swap on my 08 Commander but when I went to look at it I realized it was the Hemi 5.7L Limited so I decided to get long block and fix it as it is worth way more fixed VS parts. I love Jeep, I had a 1999 Cherokee Sport 2 Door 2WD 4.0 HO and I ran that sucker for a whole summer without any water in the Yuma, AZ area...if you know the area you know how hot it can get there...not realizing that I had bought it with a clogged radiator and didn't have as much as a hiccup until my radiator hose blew due the excess pressure I suppose and my mechanic told me there was rust inside radiator so I had must have been running that car without water for a while...never overheated or any, my Cherokee Sport was just fine and ran for ever until I upgraded to a Grand Cherokee 5.7

Now, after a few years out of the Jeep seen I find myself back in it with a BANG!

I had purchased a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was disappointed on the ride while driving it and tried a friends Commander, loved the feel of it so I went ahead and bought one...the 08 Jeep Commander Base 3.7L, baby balls---I Know---so you can only imagine my eyes when I seen the Hemi in the 06...I felt so lucky!

* I actually have the 05 Grand Cherokee up for sale if anyone is interested....I've invested some money on it thinking I was gonna like it...I hated the height/stans of it when I got it so I upgraded to the 2" OME lift along with JBA Upper A-arms for lifted WK/XK (Which are great) and I just couldn't help myself on upgrading rims/tires to the Rubicon 17" with the 255/75/17 along with wheel spacers...looks and feels a lot better than stock.

I'm including pictures of the 08 Commander...the 06 Commander is in the shop getting a makeover so the pictures will have to wait. I found some rust on the 08 Commander and will be taken care of it, these are the pictures without the rock sliders and fender flares.

Does anyone know where I can get front and back bumper with tire carrier? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the rims are FUEL ONE PIECE RECOIL - D585 17x8.5 -18 Offset 4.75 B/S on Nitto H2's 265/70/17 with no rubbing, no pinch mod, no spacers. Next rims will be 17x9 same B/S or more offset.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

My interior is cloth and is actually in immaculate shape, it's also the last major remaining detail that shows this is a Commander Sport.

I really want a leather interior and after some searching, I came across this.

This will probably be my next major purchase in the next 5 months or so.

LTHROCS3TU |*KATZKIN LEATHER INTERIORS for 2008 Jeep Commander

#21 ·
I got lucky on my 06 Mander cuz when I responded to the ad (posted in Craigslist for $1500) I was just looking for a leather interior for my 08 Mando 3.7L, but when I couldn't help myself to neglect the fact that the vehicle had lots of potential when seen it had the Hemi in it...maybe you get lucky as well and run into a similar find. Good luck on your search "Big Blue".

#7 · (Edited)
$1300 for a Jeep Commander with an immaculate interior, I just couldn't pass on that if you know what I mean.

The brush guard is definitely worth the $250, will be looking into that...Thanks for the input.

I've reached out to Bruce Hegel at Truck Defender in regards of my bumpers and just waiting for them to get back to me....as a matter of fact, I just received an email from hi, this what he's askingme: "Would you be willing to bring commander to Vale South Dakota?"...so I guess I will have to give him a call and touch bases.

Spoke to Bruce and he will need my Commander for about a week or two and quoted me $2500 for front bumper alone...SMH.

P.S.
Any reason why my pictures fail to upload, any format they have to be in?

#9 · (Edited)
Spoke to Bruce and he will need my Commander for about a week or two and quoted me $2500 for front bumper alone...SMH.

P.S.
Any reason why my pictures fail to upload, any format they have to be in?
Your pics - The larger of the 2 dimensions has to be less than 1900 pixels.

I'm a little miffed by the price Bruce quoted you - he quoted me $1733 for Brushed Forman Aluminum and $1487.00 for polished Standard aluminum front bumpers.

Maybe the prices he gave me was just for the bare bones bumper.

#10 ·
The quote I got was for a metal finish as I am going to rhyno it...looking into these bumpers I came across the people that bought the rights for the Tactical Armor Group bumper set seen in these pictures (found in rubitrux.com). I got a quote of $2200 (LED mod for front bumper guard grill and re-location of tire carrier to be on left side and gas tank carrier on right) for both front bumper/Winch Mount and rear Bumper/Tire carrier w/Gas tank carrier just like in the pictures of the Red Commander. If you look closely you you'll notice there are two swing arms...1st (left side) one for the Wheel/Jack and 2nd (right side): for the gas tank carrier...pricy but well worth. Just got my headers by Gibson today for the HEMI 5.7L in the Commander...that things is gonna sound like a beast when I get done.

Attachments

#12 ·
The quote I got was for a metal finish as I am going to rhyno it...looking into these bumpers I came across the people that bought the rights for the Tactical Armor Group bumper set seen in these pictures (found in rubitrux.com). I got a quote of $2200 (LED mod for front bumper guard grill and re-location of tire carrier to be on left side and gas tank carrier on right) for both front bumper/Winch Mount and rear Bumper/Tire carrier w/Gas tank carrier just like in the pictures of the Red Commander. If you look closely you you'll notice there are two swing arms...1st (left side) one for the Wheel/Jack and 2nd (right side): for the gas tank carrier...pricy but well worth. Just got my headers by Gibson today for the HEMI 5.7L in the Commander...that things is gonna sound like a beast when I get done.
I just went to their website and I didn't see anything for Commanders - it seems like its all Wrangler/Rubicon related.

#17 ·
before you get rid of that 05 grand Cherokee of yours, know that a lot of function type parts, (suspension, engine setup, even wiring) can be the exact same parts, in fact many of us purchase GC parts without the description ever mentioning anything about a jeep commander, and we know they fit. so if you want anything off of it for your commander, see if it fits! and welcome! it seems like you're doing a lot of performance orientated things with your mander, that's right up my alley and I'm sure it'll interest Mk153smaw as well. can't wait to see where this all goes.

#19 ·
I will look into that and see what is worth taking off the GC, keep in mind that the 06 Commander (my commander) is a 5.7L Hemi and a lot of the new parts I've installed so far are custom cuz the area (Baja) is hot and needs extra cooling...Any suggestions on a good cooling system: radiator, transmission cooler, and power steering coolers? as in better performance for a hot environment cuz it stays at 3-PLE digits on regular summer days...all day it seems.

#20 ·
Here are some pictures of my the Commander I'm lending my BABY-MAMA till she sells her 02 Liberty 3.7L that almost seems like is my car cuz she keeps asking me to fix stuff for her...I guess she forgot we are no longer together...SMH in frustration...that thing has no balls at all and way too many things wrong with it, need gone ASAP...I feel she is lucky to have bared the birth of my lil girls, lol!

Still need to acquire or have custom made Rock Sliders for it as the stock plastic trim is gone...oh, yeah... I got to get the Grill Guard & Luggage Carrier "Big Blue" got on his Commander...must be nice "Big Blue"!, must be nice.

Attachments

#22 ·
Still need to acquire or have custom made Rock Sliders for it as the stock plastic trim is gone...oh, yeah... I got to get the Grill Guard & Luggage Carrier "Big Blue" got on his Commander...must be nice "Big Blue"!, must be nice.
Nice Commander Jose.

Yea it's nice Jose, nice and expensive....LOL.

I think these are the rock sliders you are looking for - they are the metal ones - but they are not cheap.

Search

#23 ·
I just had to do it, can't seem to just sit around having so much to do on this Mander...let me know what you guys think..."Big Blue"...how does the Commander letters look on molding & on tires?. I don't remember where I seen that at but I had to try it and see what mine looked like with white letters. looks nice to me.

I need advise on cooling system for my 06 Mander Hemi, I'm looking for an all aluminum radiator, transmission cooler, and power steering cooler...any ideas? keep in mind that my 06 Mander is gonna end up down in Baja where in the summer it stays up in the 3-PLE digits.

Attachments

#26 ·
I just had to do it, can't seem to just sit around having so much to do on this Mander...let me know what you guys think..."Big Blue"...how does the Commander letters look on molding & on tires?. I don't remember where I seen that at but I had to try it and see what mine looked like with white letters. looks nice to me.

I need advise on cooling system for my 06 Mander Hemi, I'm looking for an all aluminum radiator, transmission cooler, and power steering cooler...any ideas? keep in mind that my 06 Mander is gonna end up down in Baja where in the summer it stays up in the 3-PLE digits.

looks like you're missing some trim underneath the doors. would look great with your fenders if you put something there.

#33 ·
Well guys, my '06 Commander has gotten a facelift beginning with a new long block HEMI 5.7L, Gibson Performance Headers, 6.1L intake, 6.1L injectors, 6.1L T/B, front 2" OME Struts/Spring, 4" SuperLift w/out strut spacer to compensate for extra lift on 2" OME, JBA UCA, WAM! front bumper/guard grill & rear bumper tire/carrier combo (Rhinoed).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.