Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Garage
Custom Grill and Bumper

OK, so the bumper is a little far off, but the grill I actually want to do soon. Originally doing the grill was gonna be a surprise for you guys, but after watching tons of custom fiberglass bumper videos, I just felt that I'd show you guys what I was up to before I start, maybe you guys can help me out in designing. Regardless, after I order some supplies from Customcargrills, I'll be doing a write up here showing you guys the process I'm using. So, if you didn't know already, my Commander is a 2WD, and I'm in the process of dropping an SRT into it, so it's more of a street vehicle than an offroad one, and due to this, I want a more "street-like" look, but not racecar. lol, so my design is somewhat conservative. I already know how I want to do the grill, with the exception of what to use for mesh, if you guys have any suggestions or insight, I WANT IT! As far as the bumper design, suggestions or insight, also very much wanted.
Now, I've got a few sketches I did up while bored at work, they're attached below.
The first 2 were a quick doodle to see if I could find a design I liked, and the 3rd is a little more in depth.

As it is designed now, the grill, foglight housings, and portion below the grill are some sort of mesh. I think there may be a little too much mesh, but I don't know what to add in the bottom mesh portion. I thought of adding some sort of fiberglass lightpod for 2 more fog lights, but threw that idea away because I think that's too many lights for a "street-like" SUV. Let me know what you guys think.

The grill in the top right corner, (It's hard to see) will have the Jeep logo, in black and purple chrome, and the srt logo right below it, also in black in purple chrome. The Jeep logo atop the front of the hood will be removed.

Also keep in mind I'm probably going to remove my 2" lift after I get my engine squared away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepFrontConcept1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	22809   Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepFrontConcept2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	22817   Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepFrontConcept3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	22825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Points: 6,610, Level: 53 Points: 6,610, Level: 53 Points: 6,610, Level: 53
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Garage
I think it is cool. Are you going to have the truck dropped back down and then drop the from maybe an additional inch for a rake?

Dave

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 1.25" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs.
Coming soon: Nitro gear 4:10, 50" LED bar, catch can, SA hidden front winch mount, 4XGuard brush guard, Stage 2 Mopar kit for 5.7L.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Points: 1,684, Level: 23 Points: 1,684, Level: 23 Points: 1,684, Level: 23
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Garage
front spoiler

If you think there is too much mesh then maybe you could add some stiffness by forming a spoiler on the bottom front and if it did direct air to cool the motor what a plus. I think that the full drawing of your new bumper looks much like the new Cherokee's, and I think they have the color change in the center to appear to have more ground clearance, but hey it's your Jeep and if you are happy in the end that is all that matters.

Swanny

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Very interesting project! I'm not feeling the two mesh line either.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Points: 8,368, Level: 61 Points: 8,368, Level: 61 Points: 8,368, Level: 61
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Here's what I used to make a custom mesh grille: M-D Building Products 24 in. x 48 in. Expandable Aluminum Sheet in Black-57398 - The Home Depot

It's easy to cut with tin-snips and it's aluminum, so it won't rust. I've had it installed for over a year now and still looks great.

As for bumper designs, have you seen this thread: Making own STARTECH front bumper cover.

Your drawing looks great - the only thing I'm wondering is you may need to keep the main bumper portion a bit thicker, like the Startech project in the link above, in order to cover the thick metal bumper frame and airbag sensors. Otherwise it may look awkward to have that stuff showing through your mesh covering...just my thoughts. Hope it works out for you. Props for trying it.

| 2006 Commander Limited | 4.7L V8 QTII | RC Lift | K&N CAI | Superchips Flashpaq | Monroe Sensa-Trac |
|
255/75 R17 BFG MT T/A KM on MOABs | RR SuperSliders | Silverstar Ultra Lows & Fogs |
| Molded Splash Guards |
20% Front Window Tint | Mopar Roof Rack | Rear Shackle | 8" Antenna |
|
WeatherTech Floor & Cargo Liners | Chrome Tow Hooks | Spidertrax Spacers | DVD NAV |
| NGK V-Power Plugs | Chrome Door Handles & Fuel Door | Secure Console |
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's actually a really cool mesh, I might have to go with that one, I like it a lot. also beats ordering one I can't see in person and waiting for it to arrive, just pick it up in store!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
That's actually a really cool mesh, I might have to go with that one, I like it a lot. also beats ordering one I can't see in person and waiting for it to arrive, just pick it up in store!
I'm just waiting for you to get your engine in and running....LOL.

It seems like the never-ending project that you took on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm just waiting for you to get your engine in and running....LOL.

It seems like the never-ending project that you took on.
I know right?! I just figured as I was waiting on stuff to happen that I can't do at home, I'd just work on something in the mean time. And the grill I'm sure I can knock out in a couple days if I pressed it really hard. And actually the engine is in... it's just not running. lol
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
I know right?! I just figured as I was waiting on stuff to happen that I can't do at home, I'd just work on something in the mean time. And the grill I'm sure I can knock out in a couple days if I pressed it really hard. And actually the engine is in... it's just not running. lol
I'm just busting your chops my friend - that is a monster project you took on, I can only admire you for tackling that.

Do you know why it's not running?

Are you just waiting for funds - or parts?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm just busting your chops my friend - that is a monster project you took on, I can only admire you for tackling that.

Do you know why it's not running?

Are you just waiting for funds - or parts?
Little bit of both, waiting on my ECU's over in NY, they should be completed and shipped out by Tue, then I need the funds to order the rest of my hoses and the wiring harness, I took a $600 paycut not too long ago since getting sub disqualed. Finding the time to do it has also been an issue, work has me on a swings shift, and when I get home and finally get to bed, my wife wakes me up around 0730 to watch my 9 month old son so she could get some more sleep, then I have errands to do when she does get up, then it's back to work! the day I got the engine in, I was at it for about 8hrs. That was my birthday present... much time to work on my jeep. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.