Jeep Commander Forum banner

Black Out

17K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  rblapham 
#1 ·
Decided to get rid of all of the chrome. I love it. I used bedline on everything. Some things have a coat or two of Plasti Dip just in case I want to remove. I painted my wheels too since they were a gloss black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Decided to get rid of all of the chrome. I love it. I used bedline on everything. Some things have a coat or two of Plasti Dip just in case I want to remove. I painted my wheels too since they were a gloss black.

Yep, that's definitely a lot of black.

As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

I see you've gone a little sticker/decal crazy too......LOL.

#5 ·
Haha yeah I'm loving the black. Decals are old lol but stay tuned for new custom decals under the door guards. I am also waiting on JBA to send me a new decal with no red just black/white to match theme.

#6 ·
I love it! I've been slowly making my way to do the same thing. I was literally about to post some questions on this same topic...
Mainly if the idea of plasti-dip beneath bedliner would work. What bedliner did you use? Spray on/roll on?

For the emblems: was it easy to pull the plastidip off when the bedliner had set?

#8 ·
So it's not the easiest to peel off if you bedline on top of the dip. You have to carefully get an Xato knife and get to the Dip but then it simply peels off as normal since that's the original layer on the piece you painted. I didn't use Dip on most of my badges though. I went full black out lol and I'm glad I did because I love it. I will never be going back especially when new custom decals go on.

I used this for bed line. It's very durable and has a textured finish.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking to mask off and plastidip- then mask a smaller square and bedline, that way the dipped perimeter would be easily removed. But to be honest, I don't ever foresee wanting to go back to chrome so I might ditch the dip all together.

Did you remove the door moldings/grab handles/liftgate or did you just leave it on the car and mask it?

Edit: chrome door trim sitting outside with bedliner curing as I type this. Thanks for the inspiration to get it finally done!

#17 ·
I wouldnt bother with the plastidip anyway. After several years of using it to black-out things, i have come to the conclusion that it:
1. Looks REALLY cheap in the long run
2. Does not remove as easily as the company claims.

I've been trying to remove the plastidip from my chrome grill, and it's just not working, despite the fact that i put like 8 coats on it a couple years ago. I'm sanding it off, and it's still a pain in my ass. So i imagine it'd be even harder to remove with lining on top of it. Maybe not after a month, but give it a year or too. Might as well be permanent. Actually, at that point it'd probably be LESS permanent than youd like because your lining has crap underneath. Just don't bother with it, i hate that stuff.

#24 ·
Love your xk's look. I've done the same 'black out' to mine. My next project is replacing my headlight assemblies with the black ones like yours.

#28 ·
I'm thirding the dang question.

#29 ·
Core hasn't been on here since 2018 si hold your breath. Search for "Bedliner" might give better information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.