Jeep Commander Forum banner

AFE (54-12602) Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter

7K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
AFE Pro 5R cold air intake system installed;

Pretty nice quality product; I'm happy with it so far.
Actually, the full name of it is AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter.

(54-12602) is the AFE part number.

#4 ·
This is exactly why I chose the same one. I love mine as well. Did you go with the dry or oiled filter? I chose the dry one as it allows a little more air in than the oiled one. Which reminds me, I need to inspect mine to see if it needs a cleaning.

#10 ·
No, protruding from the the lower portion of the box is an L shaped tube that comes out near the grille. Riveted to the front of it is a "baffle" or diffuser or whatever you want to call it. It basically blocks off the front leaving only a sliver for air to get past. I removed that piece from mine and then got it hot with a heat gun until the plastic was warm. Then, wearing gloves to keep from getting burned, I pressed out the restriction. This greatly enlarged the inner diameter and left a wide open hole in front. Huge difference in response on my 5.7 with a tune.

I can't see water being an issue. If you can get water going that high in a large volume, your screwed anyway. I drove it through rain like that without issue.

#11 ·
Thanks for clarifying Flex, that gives me a clearer picture.

I'm fairly certain that baffle has been removed - but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't do the installation.

But I do remember a bunch of plastic crap that was removed - because my mechanic gave it all back to me when the job was done, which I have since thrown out, but I remember seeing something that fits your description.

Since I've been overseas the last 6 months, I can't just walk out to my XK and look at it to verify.

When I get back to CONUS, which should be in the next 3 weeks, I'll take a look and verify that.

#12 ·
Just installed mine today. I removed the factory lower portion of the air box and gutted the opening with a dremel so that more air could come in through the inlet. I also enlarged that even more while I was at it. The kit complimented the 85mm BBK throttle nicely. I have the fuel miser tune on it for winter. Can't wait to see what it will be like when the performance tune goes back into it.

Did the on again off again EGR valve at the same time. Idles nice and smooth now and sounds like a dragster when you punch it.

#13 ·
Mine should be arriving tomorrow...aFe had a pretty decent sale for "Black Friday" I was able to get the intake for the Hemi for about $225....what are you talking about with the "on again off again" egr valve?

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
1.5" Rough Country spacers
255-75r17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles

#14 ·
It would malfunction every odd couple of days and throw a code for the EGR valve not working properly. I fixed the one on my brother's Durango this past summer but one of the bolts for the tube broke when I took it out of the Jeep and I was unable to remove the broken portion. I got fed up and bought a new aftermarket EGR valve and installed it. No more CEL and the idle smoothed out.

#18 ·
I do see all my info...like a signature? I'm using the tapatalk app so I actually see nothing under you posts but I see it in mine...and the post you linked had nothing to do with anything about finishing an account...honestly blue, I respect your knowledge and I truly respect and thank you for service...but you are the only one that gets super butt hurt about someone not having an account completely finished...you gotta remember, and I'm speaking from experience here seeing as how I've been part of a few different vehicle forums, many people hop on these forums for info on how to fix/replace things and disappear...they will make an account just to have a specific question answered and then never be heard from again. Not trying to start anything or even do this over someone else's thread. But again, the link you posted was talking about how Missy Elliot endorsed the commander and **** like that. If there is something I'm missing on my account, I don't notice anything.

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles

#19 ·
This is what I'm seeing...my post is first, yours is second. Again, I'm not trying to come off as a ****, but you gotta understand where I'm coming from.

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles

#21 · (Edited)
This is what I'm seeing...my post is first, yours is second. Again, I'm not trying to come off as a ****, but you gotta understand where I'm coming from.

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles
No worries DKL;

If you are on a smart phone - that's the problem and that's why you're not seeing what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about will be displayed underneath your avatar - not as a signature in your post.

Right now - there is nothing displayed under your avatar which means you haven't answered the new profile questions about your Commander yet.

Next time your log in from a laptop or desktop computer follow the instructions I gave you previously and you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

#20 ·
First photo is showing directly under your avatar..which shows no information. And the second is the first link you posted, and now you should understand why I was confused

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles

#22 ·
In a movment of respect, I answered the questions and anybody on a desktop/laptop will now be able to see the info. Again, no bad blood here. Just a bit of confusion.

2007 Limited
4X4 QuadraDrive 2
2" Rough Country lift
17" Rubicon Willy rims
71,XXX miles

#23 · (Edited)
Perfect, that's all I was trying to get you to do.

Thanks.

FYI - the sticky announcement for ALL Forum Members to update their profiles has been posted at the top of every forum and sub-forum for about a month now:

I guess people just aren't reading it.

#28 · (Edited)
Money well spent, I'd recommend it - from what I have seen of the K&N kits, I'd say the aFe intake system is better made.

I can't tell you definitively what gains it give me, because I did it the same time that I added my aFe 3 inch stainless steel cat-back exhaust.

I just changed the filter on it about a week ago, I found a different filter at Advanced Auto that I think gives a little more air flow because it's not capped off at the end;

#27 ·
I have used the K&N FIPK kits on several vehicles before. This is the first time I have used the AEM product. The manager of the speed shop where I buy my parts thought the filter is better on the AEM kit. I like The kit and feel the quality is quite good. You can't go wrong either way.

The difference is noticeable. Aside from the sound, top end is much stronger. I added an 85mm BBK as well and between the two, the added power is nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.