Jeep Commander Forum banner

Tuner/ Programmer Suggestions?

49K views 70 replies 17 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. Planning on buying a programmer/tuner in the near future and was wondering which would be the one to buy? Im looking to remove the speed governor, tune the rev limiter to a slightly higher rpm, also tune for 93 octane fuel since that is all I run in it, and also correct the speedo for the 2 inch lift I have on it with 265/70/17 Cooper A/T tires I have on it. Also I really want to put the MSD ignition coils on it and wonder if anyone has used them and if they really improved performance or not.

Another question I have is if there is a way to lobe tune to get that sweet sound when sitting at idle.

Already have K&N CIA installed and dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust.

#2 ·
The flashpaq will do everything you just mentioned. It has a 91 octane performance tun, not 93 octane but that won't make a difference. I'm currently running the 91 tune and some gas stations here have 91 some have 93. Plus you can disable TPMS if you'd like, mess with the transmission shift points as well as several other things

#3 ·
Awesome thank you very much for your response. Which flashpaq model number is it? And are you using it on the 5.7l Hemi? And do you know anything about the MSD Ignition coils? Are they worth the money?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. Planning on buying a programmer/tuner in the near future and was wondering which would be the one to buy?
What did you end up buying and how did it go? I have the same XK as you and was looking at the latest Flashpaq 3874, but it says "JK only" for "Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades" which if true is not what I want.

#9 ·
...was looking at the latest Flashpaq 3874, but it says "JK only" for "Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades" which if true is not what I want.
I just spoke with Superchips and they confirmed that Flashpaq 3874 corrects the speedometer and shift points on the XK. The description on their website is misleading.

Btw this new model 3874 allows you to turn off the TPMS. I remember reading previous versions only allowed you to change the PSI threshold but not turn off TPMS.

#12 ·
Big Blue is in the shop today - swapping out my rear shocks (Bilstein HD 4600's) with Bilstein 5100's and having two 30 Watt Cree LED light pods mounted on each side of the roof, so, I don't think I'll have time to pick up my Superchips F5 Flashpaq Programmer (Part # 3874) today.

I should definitely have it in hand tomorrow though and I'll update you with my findings.

#15 · (Edited)
O.K. received my SuperChips (3874) F5 Flashpaq today and had a chance to play with it already and here are a few observations for anybody thinking about getting one.

First off when you get it, you have to go to superchips.com and download a program called "Ignition" which is the update program for the F5 Flashpaq programmer.

Once you download Ignition to your computer you connect your programmer via the USB Cable and register it.

Once you register it, it will ask you if you want to purchase an extended warranty for $37.00 which I did.

Once you accept or decline the warranty, you can check for updates - which I suggest you do before you use it; My F5 had 16 updates/files to download, which took about 10 minutes.

At this point, you can take it out to your vehicle and start playing.

When you hook it up to your Commander - you want to have the ignition on with the engine off/not running.

It will take about 5 minutes to download & read your Engine file - which was a little nerve racking for me because I was getting all kinds of trouble codes while it was doing this - "Check Gauges" "Service 4WD System" "Transmission Overtemp" but apparently this is normal while downloading the engine file, so, don't panic.

I went to change my tire size and to my surprise - the tire size was not listed as 24565R17 (for the stock tire size); It was listed as stock size "28.00" which is the tire height in inches as it turns out. I found a tire chart on my smart phone that listed the tire height of a 26570R17 as 31.6 inches. The F5 Flashpaq only allows you to adjust tire height in .25 inch increments so I changed mine to 31.5 inches which is about as close as you can get to 31.6 inches. This is located under the "Quick Options" Sub Menu;

I drove around a little bit and the speedo seems accurate now, where it was about 3.5 - 4 mph off previously.

Somebody on this forum said they called Superchips and said that Superchips told them that you can disable the TPM sensors with this tuner. I am here to tell you that I don't think that's the case. I have not found an option to disable the TPM sensor.

I also programmed my engine for the 93 octane performance tune. Once you finishing tuning your engine it will clear all of your stored DTC codes (if you have any) just follow the prompts.

#16 ·
Does anyone have the sad 3.7l like myself? Im ordering the ported and polished Throdle body and Cold Air as soon as engine is in. The engine is out of my grand Cherokee and I don't think it will cut it in the commander. It probably has maybe 15k on the engine so I don't want to push it to the limit but I need more power since now it's Gona be in a heavier truck that's lifted, tires etc... and what I like is the TPMS setting because I powder coated my Gunmatal rims to a Matte Black so I want to use good ol rubber valve stems so I don't have the chrome color. So wondering if anyone has any experience with this programmer and the 3.7.... From what I've read it's def the programmer to buy but everyone i talked to has the 4.7 or Hemi... This Forum has been GREAT and so far everyone has been very helpful because I'm new to Commamders and i found out there the Red Headded step child of Jeeps!!!

#17 ·
I'm new to Commamders and i found out there the Red Headded step child of Jeeps!!!
I've said this several times before - The stance and aesthetics on a stock Commander is all wrong and this falls squarely on Chrysler/Jeep's shoulders.

The body itself is very tall and it sits way too low to the ground on tires that are entirely too small for the size and weight of the vehicle.

So in general, they probably don't get a lot of love because that's what people are used to seeing.

Once you raise it to the proper height and put larger tires on it, the aesthetics & stance completely change.

I get approached by people all the time, who give Big Blue nothing but praise.

#18 ·
I have the diablo sport InTune. This has been updated to a newer model by Diablo sport already, but it was a good product.

Same for the TPMS issue, it does not get rid of it, but you can adjust the parameters to where they really do not sense anything anymore.
You can also by TPMS sensor with metal or rubber stems... Check Ebay or Amazon, both sell them.

The best performance you will ever get is to take your rig to a dyno and spend the cash to have them dial it in and save the setting on your programmer.
They will take all the junk average programming out of the vehicle and make it more appropriate for your rig and driving style.

I have big meat 35s and tons of engine tweaks and I still get 16-17 mpg's because of the adjustments made on the dyno to the engine and transmission.

All cars could use a trip on the dyno :)

Dave

#19 ·
The best performance you will ever get is to take your rig to a dyno and spend the cash to have them dial it in and save the setting on your programmer.

They will take all the junk average programming out of the vehicle and make it more appropriate for your rig and driving style.

All cars could use a trip on the dyno :)

Dave
I don't really have a desire to race mine, but I have to admit, a run on the Dyno is tempting - just because I want to see how much power I'm actually making now. There is a shop not too far from me that is set up to Dyno 4x4's.

I can tell you that since I programmed mine with the 93 octane performance tune and programmed my computer with the correct tire size, I can feel the difference in the gas pedal responsiveness.

It definitely feels like Big Blue has quite a bit more pep and the acceleration response seems much sharper now.

#22 ·
I have lifted it 3" new complete brake setup all around, NGK iridium plugs someone here recommended, shocks, struts, springs, control arms, sway bar links and bushings for sway bar, HD tranny lines, black led fogs, powder coated factory gunmetal rims to matte black which are more gloss bc of so much clear, 265/70/17 (I think) Goodyear wrangler Duratracts. The engine swap started today. My 1st thing after the engine is in (Wednesday we hope) is a cold air, roof rack, and the port n pol throttle body. I have no desire to Dyno it till it's got a winter on it with all the new parts and my 1st commander..I just wanted to see what easy inexpensive ways to add some power were without killing the 3.**** engine. Engine only has maybe 15k at most on it. It's a daily driver and I have 6 months of snow here coming and 3 months of back "non maintained" roads to deal with next week. When I got 4 guys in it with some deer in that rack I don't wana have to bury the pedal to get up and down the hills. So I think all I'm Gona do is the tuner, Build a Cold Air, TB, and that will get me where i wana be.. It's on my list but considering archery starts next weekend and I got laid off today I'm going with what I can afford for now and quick. Bumper, light bar n putco's are Gona have to wait a month. unfortunately i can't do it all at once like planned.. But itl still be good enough for what I need.. Knowing me one winter and up for sale and get a newer one w a hemi if I like the commander....Thats my $600 commander. Will post when she's out of surgery!!
Btw blue ever look at that bumper?

Attachments

#26 ·
Thanks for clarifying this. Your conclusion makes sense. I had called Superchips to confirm what was supported for the Commander and the rep said (confidently too) that I'd be able to turn the TMPS off. Apparently he was talking off the cuff.

#27 · (Edited)
Well, if you were just skimming through the book, it sort of leads you to believe that you can at least adjust the tire pressure level that activates the TPM sensors under the Tire Pressure sub-menu.

You wouldn't really know any different, until you hook it up to your vehicle, read your engine file and then go into the quick options sub-menu and see what options you actually have available - or don't have available.

It's only at this point, that you really know, what you can and what you can't do with it.

#36 · (Edited)
I read that Superchips boasts a 20% gain in power. For a 3.7 that's 40+ HP and is a generic Jeep tuner which I find hard to believe because Hypertech could only get 25 HP on the 3.7L which is a Commander specific tuner and specific engine tunes.

That being said, it looks like the 3874 Flahpaq F5 might be the better product overall.

Has anyone used this on a 3.7 yet or the Hypertech mudule?

#41 · (Edited)
SuperChips TrailDash2?

Zero experience with it - I've never even heard of it until just now.

I went to superchips site and checked it out - looks like a dash mounted unit.

https://superchips.com/shop/jeep-traildash2-42050

I read the product features and I don't see that it offers that much more than the F5 Flashpaq 3874 that I already have - and it's $120.00 more expensive.

If you don't already have a tuner, it might be worth a shot - if you don't mind ponying up the $500.00 which is what it will cost with tax and shipping.

Not all the reviews on it are great either - here are a couple that caught my eye:

So I thought I'd be able to control and change most of the settings on my Jeep. Install was cake, took 5 min, setup was cake too, but some of the more important parameters I was hoping to change are not available. TPMS where you can view all 4 tire pressures and the cooling fan on/off temp are both not an option on the TD2, which is surprising for the cost of it. I'm still waiting to see if the gas saver tune will actual save some since it actually seems even more touchy with the pedal. All in all, it looks cool, and does monitor a ton of different fields but I have no need for it so I probably won't keep this long. Bummer.
Really didn't do anything but make the pedal touchy. I have a cold air intake and exhaust and would have liked a way to control those mods better. Mpgs didn't change when running any of the tunes, neither did performance with 35's on. and when running the "eco" mode I actually get 3 mpgs worse. I'm very upset with performance part of it. Nice to have the screen in front of you to have what's going on with temps and changing things on the go that's why I gave it 3 stars instead of 1. Wouldn't recommend if your looking to enhance your performance. Just save your money and get the cheap flash cal and change your tire size because this is all it does. Overpriced not happy with my choice

#57 ·
No big deal Big Blue! I just got an email back from a Bailey at Quadratec, they said I should not have an issue with the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer with the 3.7. I think I may error on the side of caution and not go with the Superchips one, since the master tech at Superchips said it works for the V8's. Pity, I liked the looks of the Superchips one better than the Hypertech.

#58 · (Edited)
No big deal Big Blue! I just got an email back from a Bailey at Quadratec, they said I should not have an issue with the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer with the 3.7. I think I may error on the side of caution and not go with the Superchips one, since the master tech at Superchips said it works for the V8's. Pity, I liked the looks of the Superchips one better than the Hypertech.
I really don't think you will either after using it and seeing how it interacts with the PCM.

But definitely use whatever you feel comfortable with.

#62 ·
I didn't see anyone bring up the Diablo Sport T1000. Currently the best programmer out there. It reads and clears codes as well as programs in tunes. It can also upload custom tunes.

#64 ·
I bought two, a used older model and a new one last year. I have been using the used programmer on the Commander and intended to use the new one on a 2004 Durango. Unfortunately, that year is the only year not supported.

I have used it to read and clear trouble codes and downloaded gas tunes into it. It has 3 levels of performance based on fuel octane and a fuel miser option. A custom tune can also be created and downloaded into the programmer. I have also used it to compensate for tire size and pressure.

#65 ·
Does anyone know if there's any problem with the Austrian made XKs and the SuperChips F5?
I've read some "bricking" comments on UK units, but there's nothing conclusive that I could find.

Thanks!

#66 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if there's any problem with the Austrian made XKs and the SuperChips F5?
I've read some "bricking" comments on UK units, but there's nothing conclusive that I could find.

Thanks!
You might be better served calling superchips directly and asking.

https://superchips.com/contact-us/

Ask Our Experts 877-976-2939

#68 ·
I just updated mine after 2 years and I did see the tpms selection. I also selected the 93 tune, I had been using the 91 tune. I haven't driven it yet to see if there is a big difference between the two. Other than that I adjusted my tire size for the larger 20 inch wheels.

#71 · (Edited)
Here is an update for anybody with the Superchips Flashpaq F5 3874 programmer.

I downloaded some updates for my Flashpaq F5 about 2 months ago.

I had bought a new laptop since the last time I updated my Flashpaq, so I had to reinstall the update software and there was one noteworthy change:

The update software for the Superchips Flashpaq F5 3874 is no longer called "Ignition".

When you go to Superchip's website to download the update software, it's now called "Update Agent"

Just thought I would share that, for those of us that still have & use our Superchips Flashpaq F5 3874 programmers.