Rear diff 12 bolt cover interest sought.... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Exclamation Rear diff 12 bolt cover interest sought....

I know that threads have dealt with this before, but I thought it would be good to start a new one on this as an update.

I have been corresponding with Doug at LPW racing about a possible rear diff cover for our 8.25 12-bolt axle (C213RE). They do not currently manufacture this application, but he is curious about demand so I thought I would ask here.

I know it is difficult to gauge from a marketing perspective based on responses here, but it sure would be nice to have one of these:

https://www.lpwracing.com/Ultimate_C..._Chrysler.html

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:12 AM
Points: 914, Level: 16 Points: 914, Level: 16 Points: 914, Level: 16
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

I would buy one for my '08 Hemi QDII Limited

1 for mine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Depends on the price, but I'd be interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

I am interested- for the right price. This works with the QD2 axle correct?

06 Commander Limited HEMI. k&n drop in with air raid M.I.T . Aeroturbine 3030xl on factory exhaust pipe . Superchips tuned 93. Bilstein 5100 front @1.5 and 5100 on rear. Black on Brown.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Points: 12,906, Level: 74 Points: 12,906, Level: 74 Points: 12,906, Level: 74
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

QDII ist he only 12 bolt cover
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
I was not aware of that....good to know.

I just went outside and looked at mine and it has a 10 bolt rear differential cover.

In which case, I am NOT interested.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-25-2016 at 07:22 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The cover "should" also work for 2005-2010 QDII Jeep Grand Cherokee's as well, and that is a much larger market than the Commander. i.e. makes your case it might be profitable for the aftermarket manufacturer.

The 2011 Grand Cherokee went to a rear independent suspension, I don't know how much the diff carrier changed, but its equally likely as to the rear diff cover working/NOT working with later QDII Grand Cherokee's. Nor do I know if earlier ZJ's GC's have the same 12 bolts covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
Ummm, yes but are they same cover? Honestly, I'm asking, cause I don't know.

I could see either scenario, that the cover can be used on multiple axles from lots of different models and manufacturers, OR the opposite, the 12 bolt Chrysler Corporate Axle is a one off for just the QDII XK/WK's and the pattern and dimensions won't fit other axles with 12 bolts. More than just the number of bolts go into the design of the cover to go over the rear of the Diff Carrier. And the pattern of the rear of the Diff carrier may be used way more often than I'm assuming. I don't know, I just know enough NOT to assume the cover will fit simply off the number of bolts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I was not aware of that....good to know.

I just went outside and looked at mine and it has a 10 bolt rear differential cover.

In which case, I am NOT interested.
The QDII system has ELSD's, the differential has a Gearotor pump attached to the side of it, that can be electronic activated to pump up pressure on the LSD clutches to limit slip even further or even lock the Diff's. The rotation of the differential powers the pump. This makes the Diff's wider and thus the carrier has to be wider and thus the cover is wider, with more bolts in it.

I replied to Creek to explain. On the Commander, on QDII has 12 bolt diff covers. NOT sure of the QDII axle was used in more models than just Commander and Grand Cherokee. There are certainly plenty of other axles out there that have 12 bolts, but don't have the same pattern and shapes thus the same cover would NOT work. Not sure what Creek was referring to, I really don't know how common the pattern for the Chrysler Corporate Axle 12 bolt really is.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The QDII system has ELSD's, the differential has a Gearotor pump attached to the side of it, that can be electronic activated to pump up pressure on the LSD clutches to limit slip even further or even lock the Diff's. The rotation of the differential powers the pump. This makes the Diff's wider and thus the carrier has to be wider and thus the cover is wider, with more bolts in it.

I replied to Creek to explain. On the Commander, on QDII has 12 bolt diff covers. NOT sure of the QDII axle was used in more models than just Commander and Grand Cherokee. There are certainly plenty of other axles out there that have 12 bolts, but don't have the same pattern and shapes thus the same cover would NOT work. Not sure what Creek was referring to, I really don't know how common the pattern for the Chrysler Corporate Axle 12 bolt really is.
I think you are right about the use on Cherokee/Commander only, that's what I've been able to gather at the American axle website. This is good information though as the potential for this cover does probably hinge on the size of the market.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37 Points: 3,506, Level: 37
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Mongo, thanks for the clarification, exactly the reason i asked. So based on that model, looks like Yukons website lists the proper models this will support. https://www.yukongear.com/diffdetail...C+%2705+%26+up

06 Commander Limited HEMI. k&n drop in with air raid M.I.T . Aeroturbine 3030xl on factory exhaust pipe . Superchips tuned 93. Bilstein 5100 front @1.5 and 5100 on rear. Black on Brown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.