Wiper and turn signals stopped working - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wiper and turn signals stopped working

Hello everyone my problem started yesterday my wipers and turn signals stopped working and my dash is dim can anyone help I was told it might be ignition switch which was already changed and got new find also it was a constant clicking noise coming from under the dash but now it's gone. And so r my wipers and turn signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

They sell the new stalk switch units at NAPA, all of these things you have wrong are controlled through the stalk switch unit and that is what they have in common. Doesn't mean it might NOT be something else, but its jumps out as the most common thing.

My fog lamps turn off when I turn on my right turn signal, but only stay off while the stalk is in the right turn signal position, i.e. they turn back on when the stalk returns to center. I'm convinced its my turn signal stalk unit, but the problem is so minor I have NOT gotten around to spending the money to replace it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Points: 14,306, Level: 77 Points: 14,306, Level: 77 Points: 14,306, Level: 77
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Probably not the stick as one for turn signals is on the left - the wipers on the right stick. Check all fuses, especially the ones under the dash on the left side.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
Probably not the stick as one for turn signals is on the left - the wipers on the right stick. Check all fuses, especially the ones under the dash on the left side.
Doh! Good Call, that's right they are two separate switch units, one for lights and turn signal the other for wiper control. The chances both went bad at the same time is far less than a few other more common things.

Check your O.M. for the fuses and there locations.

There is a steering column power fuse in the box under the dash, the other two are under the hood. But when I blew the Steering Column power fuse, it just took out the steering wheel angle sensor so I had ABS/BAS/Traction Control Warning Lamps. If I remember correctly my turn signals still worked. But I have to agree another cause, like a blown fuse, is more likely than two different stalk switch units going bad at the same time. Can't hurt to do the key dance and see if there are any fault codes indicating a possible source of the problem.

Last edited by Mongo; 05-02-2016 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

Mongo, did you get this fixed and what was it? I am running into similar issue. No turn signal, no wipers, no compass, displays --, plus other buttons on dash dead like heated seats, AC outlet, rear air . I did a disconnect on battery to do a reset, started working again. that was yesterday. Same thing happened again today. did another reset by disco to battery. back again working, but I am sure it will go out again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCommand View Post
Mongo, did you get this fixed and what was it? I am running into similar issue. No turn signal, no wipers, no compass, displays --, plus other buttons on dash dead like heated seats, AC outlet, rear air . I did a disconnect on battery to do a reset, started working again. that was yesterday. Same thing happened again today. did another reset by disco to battery. back again working, but I am sure it will go out again.
Sounds to me like you have a short in your electrical system somewhere since you are losing alot of different functions at once.

I don't know if your problem is going to have such a simple solution as just replacing a switch.

If you have an intermittent short somewhere, that's going to be hard to troubleshoot.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-08-2016 at 07:12 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I have the same problem on my 2008 Commander. No signals, wipers and dim radio lights. I found that turning off the vehicle and pulling the main fuse from the Front Control Module reset the issue and would all work fine for awhile. The same problem returned several times. When I took it to a dealer while getting the P57 and P73 Recalls serviced, they claimed the Front Control Module (FCM) failed and replaced it at my cost. What I don't understand, is why the P73 was remarkably deleted from the work order, explained that since the FCM was replaced, the P73 was not needed (a re-programming of the FCM???). Hope this helps, yet I have another related question for anyone:

My question is: which was the root-cause of the failure? Did the failure remedied by the P73 Recall cause the FCM to fail, in which case, it should have been covered? Or was this just a coincidence?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47 Points: 5,439, Level: 47
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepUSA View Post
I have the same problem on my 2008 Commander. No signals, wipers and dim radio lights. I found that turning off the vehicle and pulling the main fuse from the Front Control Module reset the issue and would all work fine for awhile. The same problem returned several times. When I took it to a dealer while getting the P57 and P73 Recalls serviced, they claimed the Front Control Module (FCM) failed and replaced it at my cost. What I don't understand, is why the P73 was remarkably deleted from the work order, explained that since the FCM was replaced, the P73 was not needed (a re-programming of the FCM???). Hope this helps, yet I have another related question for anyone:

My question is: which was the root-cause of the failure? Did the failure remedied by the P73 Recall cause the FCM to fail, in which case, it should have been covered? Or was this just a coincidence?
The P73 campaign (and it is a campaign not a recall) is re-programming the final drive control module.

The P73 campaign is for Commanders with the the Quadra-Trac II & Quadra-Drive II 4WD systems which both use the NV245 transfer case.

There is a very informative thread about it here:

Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall

The normal symptom that tells you that you need to have the final drive control module re-programmed (or flashed as some like to say) is that your transfer case will get stuck (usually in 4-HI) and you will not be able to shift into 4-LOW - and you will get the service 4WD system light when you try to.

I highly doubt that reprogramming your final drive control module caused any of the other problems you had.

I've attached the P73 campaign notice to this post if you want to read it.

I'll be completely honest - I have never heard of a Front Control Module and I have no idea what that is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-22-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.