Looking to Buy - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Looking to Buy

I have a 2016 Cherokee that the wife loves and now wants to drive, so I'm thinking about a Commander for myself. Seems most have around 130k miles, is there anything that I should look for or expect to be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 6,053, Level: 50 Points: 6,053, Level: 50 Points: 6,053, Level: 50
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Commanders are good vehicles, but you have to maintain them - some, more than others, depending on how well the owner before you took care of it, and drove it, which is the X-Factor, if you will.

I'm sure most people will tell you get the Hemi - if you can find one, in good shape and without tons of miles on it.

I will say this, most people do not trade in, or sell a vehicle, if it's running great. Any vehicle you look at you should go through with a fine tooth comb - even the CARFAX reports don't tell you everything you need to know. I bought mine with only 62,000 miles on it as the 2nd owner, and it was bone-stock. My Commander looked & seemed to run great.

However, after I had it 6-8 weeks, I discovered 5 or 6 different issues that I had to fix that were not readily apparent when I test drove the vehicle.

One thing I would definitely check right away, is that you can shift into and out of 4-LOW without any problems - if you buy a model that is 4-LOW capable, not all Commanders are.

You can go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN of the vehicle you are looking at to see if all the factory re-calls have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

You can go the website URL below to get the factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

Dodge - Contact Us

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Click on the link below and you will see a chart of all the Commander power plants with the factory HP & Torque specs from 2005 -2010; Commanders were only manufactured from 2006-2010, in case you were not aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Commander_%28XK%29

I would suggest looking for a Commander Model Year 2008 or later, as the earlier 2006 & 2007 models had some issues that were ironed out in the 2008 & later models. Now that being said, there are other issues that seem to be pretty consistent through all of the model years.

I hope this info helps you with your search, good luck - and let us know how you make out.
DrEastman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-15-2016 at 02:09 AM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjb41 View Post
I'm thinking about a Commander for myself. Seems most have around 130k miles, is there anything that I should look for or expect to be a problem?
Here are some issues I dealt with and what I had to get replaced when I bought my Commander - after actually finding out everything that was not working - or working intermittently, that I would classify as falling outside of normal maintenance:

1) Had to replace my radiator cap and battery within the first 6 weeks of ownership. The battery just completely died on me, without any warning or prior issues (while out in the woods no less). This may be classified as routine maintenance, but, it's certainly not something I would have expected to do within the first 6 weeks of buying a new "used" vehicle. The radiator cap wasn't sealing properly and would leak coolant when hot, I discovered this problem after about 3 weeks of ownership by finding very small puddles of coolant on the ground after being parked a couple of hours after driving. The coolant was almost clear, so, it took me a few days to figure out, that it was actually coolant I was looking at. I guess I still had in the recesses of my mind, that anti-freeze/coolant is green, LOL. What can I say, I'm old school.

2) After about 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the actuator motor on the Transfer case after getting the dreaded "service 4WD System" warning while trying to shift into 4-LOW which I was unable to do. That was about a $780 repair, when you add in the initial diagnostic trouble-shooting charge of $120.00. I found out after the fact, that my vehicle did not have the P73 campaign (reprogramming the FDCM) done yet, which, as it turns out, was the fix for this issue. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Chrysler and was paid in full within 2 weeks - there is a thread about how to submit the claim for reimbursement to Chrysler here:

Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall

3) The radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up. When I first bought my Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dim that the radio display almost looked completely black, as if it wasn't working at all. The radio display itself, for radio related functions, worked just fine. When I first discovered this, it was an intermittent problem. Sometimes it would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it would not. As time wore on, the problem became more and more frequent to the point where it almost never worked - and when it did decide to work properly and display usable video, it would be for very brief periods of time. First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, it didn't solve the issue. Eventually I had to replace the entire radio - that solved the problem. A rebuilt/reconditioned MyGIG radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - 900 and change as I recall.

4) The Sirius Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subscription that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information, enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio was actually not working. I couldn't acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership also said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job - plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that bill was for labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.

5) Back-up/park assist sensor kept shorting out giving me the indication that the park assist sensor was disabled. I'd push the button to turn it on again and it would stay on for a minute or so - then it would short out and disable itself again. Long story short, I had to replace the back-up/park assist sensor. This is the one problem that I know developed after I bought the vehicle. I didn't experience any problems at all with the park assist/back-up sensor until I had it for about 6 months.

Once I had all these issues fixed to where everything was working properly, then I was finally able to focus on maintenance, and eventually upgrades.

Now the bigger question is, was my experience typical?

I really can't answer that question but some issues - like the not being able to shift into 4-LOW, is a well-documented problem that I would say is common with Commanders. You can go to the Chrysler recall link I gave you in the previous post and plug in the VIN # and make sure that the P73 (reprogramming the Final Drive Control Module) recall is done, that will save you a headache.

I think my experience is probably an example of what happens to an otherwise nice vehicle, when routine maintenance is neglected and/or the previous owner chooses to ignore things that don't work properly, as opposed to getting them fixed when the issue occurs.

Or, when you have a previous owner who just is not very observant.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2017 at 04:46 AM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Commanders are good vehicles, but just like with your BMW, you have to maintain them - some, more then others, depending on how well the owner before you took care of it, and drove it, which is the X-Factor, if you will.

I'm sure most people will tell you get the Hemi - if you can find one, in good shape and without tons of miles on it.

I will say this, most people do not trade in, or sell a vehicle, if it's running great. Any vehicle you look at you should go through with a fine tooth comb - even the CARFAX reports don't tell you everything you need to know. When I bought mine which only had 62,000 miles on it when I bought it as the 2nd owner, and it was bone-stock. My Commander looked & seemed to run great.

However, after I had it 6-8 weeks, I discovered 5 or 6 different issues that I had to fix that were not readily apparent when I test drove the vehicle. Someone mentioned checking that you can shift into and out of 4-LOW - I would definitely check that several times before you buy one.

You can go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN of the vehicle you are looking at to see if all the factory re-calls have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

You can go the website URL below to get the factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

Dodge - Contact Us

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options / optional equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

You mentioned having the 4.7L in your old WJ; Well 2008 was a big year of improvement for the 4.7L; It went from putting out 235HP in 2007 to putting out 305HP in 2008.

You also had a HP jump in the Hemi in 2009; from 330HP in 2008 to 357HP in 2009.

Click on the link below and you will see a chart of all the Commander power plants with the factory HP & Torque specs from 2005 -2010; Commanders were only manufactured from 2006-2010, in case you were not aware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Commander_%28XK%29

I would suggest looking for a Commander Model Year 2008 or later, as the earlier 2006 & 2007 models had some issues that were ironed out in the 2008 & later models. Now that being said, there are other issues that seem to be pretty consistent through all of the model years.

I hope this info helps you with your search, good luck - and let us know how you make out.
Thanks so much for all the info!!! Great starting point for me. LOVE the looks of your Commander, that's a real Beauty!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks.

I am attaching a copy of the P73 recall - after reading it, I realized that it is specific to Commanders with the Quadra-Trac II Full Time 4WD system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-15-2016 at 02:14 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks.

I am attaching a copy of the P73 recall - after reading it I realized that is specific to Commanders with the Quadra-Trac II Full Time 4WD system.
Thanks so much! I have a lot of reading and research to do.

I have not owned a vehicle with over 36,000 miles on it in a LONG time. I know I'll have to fix things, it's expected. I just want to make sure I get the right one.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks so much! I have a lot of reading and research to do.

I have not owned a vehicle with over 36,000 miles on it in a LONG time. I know I'll have to fix things, it's expected. I just want to make sure I get the right one.
Understandable.

There are 3 basic trim models from most basic to most luxurious you have:

1) Sport
2) Limited
3) Overland.

The three 4WD systems that Commanders are equipped with from least capable to most capable are:

1) Quadra-Trac I - Full time 4WD - NOT 4-LOW capable
2) Quadra-Trac II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable
3) Quadra-Drive II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable with ELSD.

The least capable of the three 4WD systems, which is the Quadra-Trac I system, is still more than adequate for what I would consider normal every-day off-road use.

The 3 main power plants are 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L V8 Hemi.

I'll tell you up front, none of them, including the V6 are good on gas, you can expect 13-19 MPG Local/Hwy depending on the modifications and power-train the Commander you buy has.

Good luck.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2017 at 11:43 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Understandable.

There are 3 basic trim models from most basic to most luxurious you have:

1) Sport
2) Limited
3) Overland.

The three 4WD systems that Commanders are equipped with from least capable to most capable are:

1) Quadra-Trac I - Full time 4WD - not 4-LOW capable
2) Quadra-Trac II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable
3) Quadra-Drive II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable with ELSD.

The least capable of the three 4WD systems, which is the Quadra-Trac I system, is still more than adequate for what I would consider normal every-day off-road use.

The 3 main power plants are 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L V8 Hemi.

I'll tell you up front, none of them, including the V6 are good on gas, you can expect 13-19 MPG Local/Hwy depending on the modifications and power-plant the Commander you buy has.

Good luck.
Great info, thanks!

Gas mileage is going to be a shock to my system. I'm getting an average on 24mpg and got 29mpg on a trip in my 2016 Cherokee with a V6.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Great info, thanks!

Gas mileage is going to be a shock to my system. I'm getting an average on 24mpg and got 29mpg on a trip in my 2016 Cherokee with a V6.
If you do buy a Commander, you can kiss those days goodbye, LOL.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Points: 8,216, Level: 61 Points: 8,216, Level: 61 Points: 8,216, Level: 61
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

I just got 11.7 towing my trailer. They are not fuel efficient. But at over 110,000 miles, I have not had near the problems above.

-still have to do the P73 recall
-replaced shocks front and rear
-replaced sway-arm bushings front
-replaced front transaxle bushings - this was the most expensive job, as I could not do it in house. Those bushings are prone to wear out early.
-normal maintenance done

After 100K plus, my 2" lift and spacers are still chugging along. Still love the Commander, still my daily driver.

Now Gone: TJ 00 4 liter, 2" RE Lift and shocks, a few extra skidplates, and not much else, 'cause all the money goes to:

Now HIS: XK 07 Limited Hemi, 2" RR lift and shocks, JK Rubicon wheels (255/75 r17 BFG MT), 1.5" Spidertrax spacers, Rocky Road Supersliders, Mopar heavy-duty rails and roof rack. Get Lost 4x4 Rear Tire Carrier. 4xGuard Belly Skid. Oh, and a spiffy dash mat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.