Jeep Commander Forum banner

Big Blue's Garage: Upcoming upgrade/to-do list....

50K views 303 replies 30 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
This is what I am getting ready to have done to my bone-stock Commander:

Spyder Black-Euro Headlights installed:
http://www.carid.com/submit_review.php?productid=35746969&orderid=19264032

AFE Pro 5R cold air intake system installed;
http://www.carid.com/submit_review.php?productid=103799801&orderid=18921403

AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Polished Tip installed;
MACH Force-Xp 3" 409 Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System&

Front factory tow hooks installed;
Grand Cherokee WK Parts - JustForJeeps.com

Deluxe Molded Jeep Commander mud-flaps installed;
Mopar Deluxe Molded Splash Guards for 2006-2010 Commander XK

77KICK10 rear door speakers installed;

4x Guard 10 bolt Differential guard cover installed;
JBA Upper Control Arms Jeep Grand Cherokee WK Replaces PN 52090206

2 - 30 watt rear bumper LED back up lights mounted & wired;
https://www.amazon.com/reverse-ligh...=pe_825000_114212990_pe_825000_114212990_n_id

Scheduled to take it to the dealership on August 1st 2016 - can't wait!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like a good list. Nice to see people still modding their XKs. Let me know how the exhaust goes. I have a MagnaFlow muffler which sounds great but would like to do a full cat back exhaust in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Sounds like a good list. Nice to see people still modding their XKs. Let me know how the exhaust goes. I have a MagnaFlow muffler which sounds great but would like to do a full cat back exhaust in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Will do Core.

#8 · (Edited)
So does it mean that the 5.7 has a different panel behind the rear tire than the 3.7&4.7? as the mud flaps that look very nice say they don't fit if it has a Hemi?
Swanny
Swanny, I'm not really sure because I don't have a Hemi.

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe because the Hemi has a different exhaust/muffler/tailpipe?

Again, that's just a guess on my part.

#10 · (Edited)
Update:

Well, the front tow hooks couldn't be installed because the Brush Guard is utilizing those mounting points - which is something I overlooked. I am thinking about just drilling some holes in the front lower part of the brush guard and mounting some big stainless steel shackles there to use as recovery points, instead of the tow hooks.

Other than that, the rest of the work is done.

I also had a small transmission fluid leak coming from the transmission pan that I had to get fixed, so while they were at it, I had them replace all 16 spark-plugs, so that's one less thing to worry about. I figure at 82,400 miles...it was probably about time, as I am fairly certain the plugs have never been touched prior to now.

Also, my custom Real Tree seat covers came in today, so I'll put them on tomorrow as well.....can't wait to see & hear it!!!

Picking it up in the morning and I will post plenty of pics.

#11 · (Edited)
So...here is a synopsis. AFE Cold air intake, AFE stainless steel cat-back exahust, 4X Guard rear differential guard cover, bumper mounted back-up LED's, 77KICK10 rear door speakers, deluxe molded mud-flaps & Spyder Black Euro Headlights.

I am very happy with the upgrades; the rear door speakers sound great - nice & clear. Headlights & back-up lights look great - but I have to say the biggest surprise is the cat-back exhaust system.

My Commander sounds SO much different now, just a nice mean rumble - which I really wasn't expecting and it looks 100 times better then the old factory oil can. Anybody thinking about getting a cat-back exhaust for your 4.7L, I would highly recommend AFE's system.

I have the new seat covers also and they are extremely high quality - they are also going to take some time to put on - as they are made for each individual cushion. Should get them on tomorrow and will post some pics.

Here are some pics of the other mods:

#13 · (Edited)
Looks real good! Man your XK is super clean.

How significant is that speaker upgrade? Looks like a huge magnet difference based on pictures that I have seen.
Thanks lucky.

The speakers are not any louder than the originals - but they are crisper and clearer if that makes sense.

My rear door speakers would distort at high volume these 77KICK10's do not, they are very crisp and clear.

Finally got the seat covers in today, they are really nice but what a pain the Arse.

I received my Weather-tech floor-liners today also and put them in, so now, my interior is pretty much how I want it.

Here are some pics:

#16 ·
Awesome, awesome mods. The look is clean and functional. My mods will have to wait as Large Marge moved to my parents home in Houston for a while. We have a new Laramie Longhorn and just no room for the Commander at home. Still, when I get her back she's going to get one of those TV restorations: ground up. Still deciding on the level of mods, but leaning to mild-medium. I really love the look she has now and we decided to get a Rubicon for 'wheeling, so she doesn't need to get off-road serious anymore. Congrats on your Commander. I can't wait to get started on mine.

Reactions: Big Blue
#18 ·
Awesome, awesome mods. The look is clean and functional. My mods will have to wait as Large Marge moved to my parents home in Houston for a while. We have a new Laramie Longhorn and just no room for the Commander at home. Still, when I get her back she's going to get one of those TV restorations: ground up. Still deciding on the level of mods, but leaning to mild-medium. I really love the look she has now and we decided to get a Rubicon for 'wheeling, so she doesn't need to get off-road serious anymore. Congrats on your Commander. I can't wait to get started on mine.
Thanks JeepJorge.

Is "Large Marge" what you call your Commander?

#26 ·
Well all good things have to come to an end and so it is with our dry spell. My wife came home after a rain storm today and the Commander was a mess.
I looked up your post and ordered both front and rear mud flaps, after looking at the contour differences of the right and left rear inner fenders I believe that they could be made to fit with out too much bracket changes. Film at eleven.
I went to the Auto Parts Store the other day and asked the Counter Person if he was in the same belief as I was that maybe just another 50 bucks would fix it? His answer was I hope so.

#28 · (Edited)
I installed my chrome door trim today and it looks great!!!

So much nicer then that crappy faded out black plastic door trim.

I also replaced my rear hatch interior light with the new one I ordered and replaced the bulb it came with with an LED; Tomorrow I will add a set of 2 LED's to the interior of the rear hatch.

Thursday I'm having my Bilstein 4600 rear shocks swapped out with Bilstein 5100's and I am having two LED light pods installed on each side of my roof, so, I'll have extra LED lights in all directions.

I'll post some pics in this thread toward the end of the week.

#29 · (Edited)
Here are some before and after pics of the old black and new chrome door trim and pics of the rear hatch LED's I just finished installing today:

Old faded Black Sport Door Trim:

New Chrome Door Trim:

Here are the LED's I installed in the rear hatch today and the new hatch light I replaced which I added an LED bulb to:

#31 ·
Liking the rear leds! How are those weather tecs holding up, any warpage? I've noticed the edges of some liners start to give and bend.

And funny... as you replace your door trim for chrome, I am considering plasti dipping my chrome trim black ha!

#32 · (Edited)
I've seen some guys do that ulv, with their trim and with their grills.

It looks good, it just depends on the look you are going for.

You'll have to take your time removing your trim, those clips will break off pretty easily if you're not careful.

With my rims, the Chrome trim was a no-brainer.

The WeatherTechs are holding up great, no issues with them warping at all.

#33 · (Edited)
Well, the last few upgrades I've done myself, but Big Blue is in the shop today - swapping out my rear shocks (Bilstein HD 4600's) with Bilstein 5100's and having two 30 Watt Cree LED light pods mounted on each side of the roof.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two.

I should also be picking up my Superchips F5 Flashpaq Programmer (Part # 3874) tomorrow.

#35 · (Edited)
O.K. new 30W Oslamp LED pods on each side of the roof.

Swapped out my Bilstein 4600's with Bilstein 5100's.

I also ordered some stainless steel pedals from Chrysler which happened to show up today, so, I installed them as well.

And my Superchips F5 Flashpaq Tuner arrived today also.

#37 · (Edited)
O.K. so my 2 new Auxbeam 30 Watt LED Pods that I had mounted on each side of the roof facing outward are bright and throw the light a good distance, but because they are spots, the light beam is very concentrated & doesn't cover as broad an area as I would like.

Truth be told, I initially ordered these as back-up lights and then decided to go with the bumper flushmount LED Pods instead. So, these two 30 watt Auxbeam Pods were just left-over lights that I wanted to do something with - but this was not their original purpose.

To remedy this, I ordered two Auxbeam 12 inch flood/spot combo light bars.

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-7200lm-Driving-Waterproof-Off-road/dp/B00T7GYDTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474228634&sr=8-1&keywords=Auxbeam+12%22+72W+LED+Light+Bar+7200lm+Combo+Beams+24pcs+3W+CREE+Chips+Driving+Light+Waterproof+for+Jeep+off+road+Van+Camper+Wagon+ATV+AWD+SUV+4WD+4x4+Pickup+Van+Off-road

I'm going to do this myself and just slide the two 30 watt LED pods 8-10 inches further back and mount a 12 inch flood/spot combo light bar in front of each POD, on each side of the roof and just splice them into the existing wiring and switch.

That should give me the light coverage I'm looking for.

They should get here in about a week.