Jeep Commander Forum banner

Keyless Entry issues.....

17K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  inccognito2u 
#1 ·
2006 Jeep Commander, 3.7 V6 65th Anniversary Edition......

As the Title of the thread states, my Keyless Entry system does not work.
It started about 3 months ago, my "primary" key wasn't unlocking/locking the door or activating the panic alarm. I replaced the battery and nothing changed.
Being that I drive the Jeep more often than my wife, I exchanged my key for hers (which at the time worked) and chalked it off as a defective key fob.
Fast forward to today, I go to unlock the Jeep using the Keyless Entry and nothing. No unlock/lock or panic alarm activation.........replaced battery, still nothing.
So here I stand........is it possible that both keys have gone bad, or is there something else I should be looking at??
Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Car starts right up........no Codes shown.........SENTRY System still has functionality.
Car doesn't stall after 2 minutes.
By battery, do you mean Car battery or remote battery?

#7 ·
Does it work when you are right next to your XK, mine would not work unless I was within a foot or so of the truck and once I activated the system in worked normally until I locked it again. I had to have the SKIM Module replaced along with both keys. In 06 you could not program the skim module to the new keys or reprogram the keys to new module. Close to $1,000 to repair. OUCH

#8 · (Edited)
Tried unlocking the door while standing next to it.....still NG.
I thought the SKIM system only made the car inoperable after you started it a few seconds if you used a key that wasn't "paired" to the vehicle? My vehicle starts and drives, it's only the lock/unlock function that doesn't work.
Re programming keys: I thought 2006's were capable of "customer" reprogramming.......isn't it something like put first key in for 3 seconds, remove and put 2nd key in for 10 seconds, remove then put "new" key in until display chimes indicating new key programmed??
($1000 dollars????-that's not happening!!!)
Guess its back to 1975 with opening the door with a key!! Go figure!

#9 ·
I know that the security system that will shut down the XK and the door functions a two different systems in the same key. If the fob batteries go bad the ignition system will still function but the doors will not lock or unlock. You are correct if you have two good keys you can program a third key that has never been programmed, but once a key has been programmed, it can't be changed, so if you replace the skim module you will need a new key to be programmed to the new module. By 2008 this changed and the new module could be programmed to the old key. How do I know this? I had to replace both modules within months of each other and the service adviser Threw the second key away on the 08 which was the second to be replaced. When I went to pick up the car a different adviser gave me one key and seemed deaf when I ask where the second key was. When they ask the original adviser were it was he said he destroyed it. Got a new free key from dealer.

#10 ·
So I ordered a new key from AMAZON. When it comes, I will have it cut and program it to my Commander. At least this will eliminate the Key as the issue. I will let all know how it turns out.0:)

#12 ·
OK, Long story short, I ordered a new Key online, had it cut, and was having difficulty "programing" it with the 2 original keys I have. I called the company, and they sent me a new key to try. I took the new key, had it cut and again, I had problems "programing" it. I was about to give up when I tried one more thing:

Remembering something I read about resetting the Jeep's Computer:
I disconnected the Positive cable from the Jeeps Battery, took the cable and grounded it to the chassis for 30 seconds. I then re-connected it, turned the ignition to the 'On" position (Do not start!), turned the Headlights on, and then off. I then turned the ignition key to the "Off" position, removed the key from the ignition and tried the keys remote. Low and behold, the Keyless Entry Sytem started to work again!!
I then programmed the new key with the original 2 keys and it worked also!:laugh2:

I assume that by me disconnecting the battery, it must have "reset" the Keyless Entry System.

Thanks to all who helped with this issue and I hope that this Thread helps anyone else who experience's this problem.

Reactions: fish4drum
#15 ·
OK, Long story short, I ordered a new Key online, had it cut, and was having difficulty "programing" it with the 2 original keys I have. I called the company, and they sent me a new key to try. I took the new key, had it cut and again, I had problems "programing" it. I was about to give up when I tried one more thing:

Remembering something I read about resetting the Jeep's Computer:

I disconnected the Positive cable from the Jeeps Battery, took the cable and grounded it to the chassis for 30 seconds.

I then re-connected it, turned the ignition to the 'On" position (Do not start!), turned the Headlights on, and then off.

I then turned the ignition key to the "Off" position, removed the key from the ignition and tried the keys remote. Low and behold, the Keyless Entry Sytem started to work again!!

I then programmed the new key with the original 2 keys and it worked also!:laugh2:

I assume that by me disconnecting the battery, it must have "reset" the Keyless Entry System.

Thanks to all who helped with this issue and I hope that this Thread helps anyone else who experience's this problem.
@inccognito2u ; & @capezig2 ;

You can simply disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, this performs a hard reset of the PCM.

See the very 1st post in the thread below, for the proper key re-learn procedures, after the PCM has been reset.

#14 ·
I know this is an old thread, but it helped me today. The computer reset trick worked to get our keyless entry working again on our 2010 Commander Sport (240,000 miles), and is much appreciated. I would add that while doing the reset, be patient with the 'ignition on' part (wait for the dinging to stop before proceeding) and again patient with the 'headlights on' (waiting for the ding and the check engine light to start flashing) before turning off the headlights and then the ignition. My first attempt I went too fast and it didn't work. On a whim I got our other key and went slower, waiting for some indication from the Jeep that the brain was done with whatever magic it does...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.