CB Engineering 2.5" Lift Kit - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,187, Level: 34 Points: 3,187, Level: 34 Points: 3,187, Level: 34
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
OverlandCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 47
Garage
CB Engineering 2.5" Lift Kit

Anybody have any experience with the Coilover suspension lift from CB Engineering?
I'm currently running the RCX Leveling kit and am just not thrilled with the compromise in suspension geometry.
Come tax season I think I will be purchasing the lift kit from them with remote's front / rear, to include the upper control
arm replacements and further down the road I will purchase the heim steering upgrade, and eventually the rear replacement control arms.
I like the height I have from the leveling kit, I'm just not satisfied with the ride quality offroad and the premature failure of my upper control arm ball
joints. But if any of you guys have any input, I'd appreciate it. It's a steep price but I'm willing to buy if it's truly
any kind of improvement. I've linked the products below.

CB Engineering Suspension Components:
Suspension Lift Kit
Upper Control Arms
Heim Steering Upgrade
Rear Control Arms
luckyse7ens likes this.

2008 Stone White Jeep Commander (XK) Equipped with the following:
  • RCX Leveling Kit
  • AEV Savegre Wheels
  • Bilstein 4600 Series Replacement Shocks / Struts
  • Steel Alliance Fabrication Front Winch Bumper
  • 265/75/R17 BFG KO2's
  • SmittyBilt Overlander RTT
OverlandCommander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 6,908, Level: 54 Points: 6,908, Level: 54 Points: 6,908, Level: 54
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Florida - but working out of VA.
Posts: 1,546
Garage
I have is I have been running the RC 2 inch lift for 2 years now and the only thing I have had to replace was the front upper differential bushing - which is a common point of wear on Commanders and Grand Cherokees.

Other than that, I have not had any other issues in the last 2 years and my tires have no trouble staying in alignment.

I'm curious to know exactly what compromise of suspension geometry you are referring too?

Of course I have upgraded my shocks, struts and rear springs too, so, I don't know how much that has to do with me not having any issues.

Maybe you do more off-roading - or more extreme off-roading than I do.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by Big Blue; 09-17-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:02 AM
Junior Member
Points: 373, Level: 7 Points: 373, Level: 7 Points: 373, Level: 7
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/291912830315

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Mk153smaw likes this.
JeePerf is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Junior Member
Points: 648, Level: 12 Points: 648, Level: 12 Points: 648, Level: 12
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Garage
For that much, you could almost buy the SL. They look like quality components, but if you're spending that much, why only go 2.5"?
guygene is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Member
Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
RickTheMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 87
I will have some info for you in about a month or so. I ordered their kit in mid-December after speaking with the owner for about an hour or so. (As an aside, I may have sold him on the idea of a group discount, more to come)
I ordered the 2.5 lift with remote reservoirs and added in the upper and lower rear control arms and the tie rod ends. I already have a set of RRO UCAs and their adjustable rear track bar. I'll be making a post in discussions regarding the "WHY" I have all these new Commander parts coming in...
luckyse7ens likes this.

06 Limited Hemi QDII
CBEngineering Coilover Lift Kit, tie rod ends, U+L rear control arms, RRO front UCAs, adjustable track bar, JKS QD sway bar links, Steel Armadillo diff cover and A/C armor, 4xGuard full Matrix, rock sliders, rear sliders, and belly guard, Wilco Offroad Hitchgate, all riding on ProComp Series 29 17x8.5 wheels with 265/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

.45ACP...because shooting twice is just, well, silly.
RickTheMick is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Junior Member
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTheMick View Post
I will have some info for you in about a month or so. I ordered their kit in mid-December after speaking with the owner for about an hour or so. (As an aside, I may have sold him on the idea of a group discount, more to come)
I ordered the 2.5 lift with remote reservoirs and added in the upper and lower rear control arms and the tie rod ends. I already have a set of RRO UCAs and their adjustable rear track bar. I'll be making a post in discussions regarding the "WHY" I have all these new Commander parts coming in...
Hi there,

Did you every buy / install this 2.5 lift? Looks like top notch stuff. Someone commented on this being as much as SL, but its resonible compared to 4Xguard coilover 2.5 kit. I could port and polish aluminum heads and add a roller cam to my hotrod for what the 4XGuard c2.5 cpilover kit costs. LOL
Commando75 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
Points: 5,979, Level: 50 Points: 5,979, Level: 50 Points: 5,979, Level: 50
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,382
Sometimes a lift is about more than just height increase. I'd rather have the cb engineering one personally. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone run this thing
luckyse7ens is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Junior Member
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Sometimes a lift is about more than just height increase. I'd rather have the cb engineering one personally. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone run this thing
Totally. People want quality lifts in different sizes. Sadly there is way more support and options for wranglers due to popularity and $$ to be made. Im looking forward to hearing / seeing more about this lift as well.
Commando75 is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Member
Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
RickTheMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 87
Well, I purchased the kit back in mid December but due to the holidays, I haven't received it. They were very thorough regarding how my Commander was going to be equipped, what I planned for armor/winch/bumpers/wheels and the expected terrain and percentage of off road/on road driving. The suspension is specially tuned for each individual buyer's requirements. As I was planning for this to be an "overland rig versus a rock crawling rig, I wanted something that would be just as capable on the highways as on corrugated BLM roads and fire roads. I got the upgraded remote reservoirs just for that purpose as I planned to make 90% of my Utah trip on dirt/gravel BLM roads and for a future trips to Death Valley and remote New Mexico. Both of those trips will be off paved roads and having the ability to not overheat the shocks running at a fair clip down washboard trails is a plus. I was not concerned about the actual height of the lift, IMHO that's more of an "appearance" mod rather than a practical one, I'm concerned about the truck actually WORKING 75 miles from a paved road rather than how it looks in a parking lot. In addition, I'm limited by a very low clearance in my garage (sub 7') and I'd prefer to be able to keep it in the garage than parked outside. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also ordered their upper and lower rear control arms and the heim joint tie rod ends (I received the RRO front UCAs and their adjustable track bar as a gift). I debated about getting the RCV Ultimate CV axles, but couldn't justify $2K for bulletproof shafts when I can easily buy a spare cv shaft for under $60 and toss it in the back when I go off-road. I'll update when the kit comes in and see if I can take pics of the install. It's just a waiting game now...
luckyse7ens likes this.

06 Limited Hemi QDII
CBEngineering Coilover Lift Kit, tie rod ends, U+L rear control arms, RRO front UCAs, adjustable track bar, JKS QD sway bar links, Steel Armadillo diff cover and A/C armor, 4xGuard full Matrix, rock sliders, rear sliders, and belly guard, Wilco Offroad Hitchgate, all riding on ProComp Series 29 17x8.5 wheels with 265/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

.45ACP...because shooting twice is just, well, silly.
RickTheMick is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
Points: 5,979, Level: 50 Points: 5,979, Level: 50 Points: 5,979, Level: 50
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTheMick View Post
Well, I purchased the kit back in mid December but due to the holidays, I haven't received it. They were very thorough regarding how my Commander was going to be equipped, what I planned for armor/winch/bumpers/wheels and the expected terrain and percentage of off road/on road driving. The suspension is specially tuned for each individual buyer's requirements. As I was planning for this to be an "overland rig versus a rock crawling rig, I wanted something that would be just as capable on the highways as on corrugated BLM roads and fire roads. I got the upgraded remote reservoirs just for that purpose as I planned to make 90% of my Utah trip on dirt/gravel BLM roads and for a future trips to Death Valley and remote New Mexico. Both of those trips will be off paved roads and having the ability to not overheat the shocks running at a fair clip down washboard trails is a plus. I was not concerned about the actual height of the lift, IMHO that's more of an "appearance" mod rather than a practical one, I'm concerned about the truck actually WORKING 75 miles from a paved road rather than how it looks in a parking lot. In addition, I'm limited by a very low clearance in my garage (sub 7') and I'd prefer to be able to keep it in the garage than parked outside. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also ordered their upper and lower rear control arms and the heim joint tie rod ends (I received the RRO front UCAs and their adjustable track bar as a gift). I debated about getting the RCV Ultimate CV axles, but couldn't justify $2K for bulletproof shafts when I can easily buy a spare cv shaft for under $60 and toss it in the back when I go off-road. I'll update when the kit comes in and see if I can take pics of the install. It's just a waiting game now...
You can get rcv shafts for a bit less than that if you shop around. Based on your useage though I can totally see why you would opt to just have a spare.
luckyse7ens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome