Jeep Commander Forum banner

how do I know LCA are shot?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thance 
#1 ·
how do i know if my lower control arms are shot?

earlier this year, i had the shocks/struts, upper and lower ball joints, upper control arms and front hub assemblies replaced. the ride is still terrible.

how will i know if my lower control arms need to be replaced?

thanks in advance.

#4 ·
It is a Jeep.... You are wondering about a part. It is now broken because you thought about it.

You would hear noise from the front for bad rubber. I would default to Big Blue's question of what struts/springs are in there now? Those make the ride really, and were you expecting a solid road rumbler good on rocky stuff or a smoother Mercedes feel on the highway? Those are key questions to guide by when evaluating your suspension. A really stiff bumpy ride sucks on pavement, but you will hug your rig on a trail and love the solid response you get with stiffness.

If you want in and around town luxury you will want to move to the OME MD or even the springs for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, those are 'soft' and feel great on the roads. With that said they really suck on the trails.

Dave

#5 ·
It is a Jeep....

were you expecting a solid road rumbler good on rocky stuff or a smoother Mercedes feel on the highway? Those are key questions to guide by when evaluating your suspension. A really stiff bumpy ride sucks on pavement, but you will hug your rig on a trail and love the solid response you get with stiffness.

If you want in and around town luxury you will want to move to the OME MD or even the springs for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, those are 'soft' and feel great on the roads. With that said they really suck on the trails.

Dave
This is what I was wondering as well Dave.

#6 ·
when i had the RC 2" lift installed, I had the shocks/struts replaced with-

MONROE 901873 Lift Supports (x2)
MONROE 171377L Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly
MONROE 171377R Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly
MONROE 911278 Shock Absorber (2)

also got 245/75/R17 faulken wildpeak AT tires.

i'm not expecting Mercedes smooth highway, just as closer to original/stock smoothness. my 81 CJ7 was more comfortable to ride on pavement than this commander.

i know i rode it with bad shocks/struts for too long, which likely contributed to wheel bearing/hub issues,and probably other issues with bushings, joints, etc.

like i said, i have replaced the UCA/BJ, lower BJ, hub assemblies, and shocks/struts/springs.

this vehicle is 2wd and i do not offroad with it, other than bone dry logging roads at deer camp.

i'm at 172k miles and open to replacing the other suspension components that may be bad, i just don't want to get fleeced by having to replacement something that is not worn out.

thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to pinpoint or troubleshoot my front end suspension problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.