Introduction. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello!

New Member here trying to figure out why I can't post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Introduction.

So, apparently this is the only area I have sufficient privilege to post. I am hoping that someone can please help me out.

I have a 2007 Commander Sport with a 3.7 V,6, 4x4, 167K miles

Hereís what it does: When the engine is cold, it starts like a champ every single time. More often than not, when the engine is at normal operating temperature, it fails to start. I have had to wait anywhere from 5-30 minutes for it to start again.

Hereís what Iíve tried: I have had AutoZone and OíReilleyís both test the battery, alternator and starter, they both tell me all is good. I replaced the plugs and disassembled and cleaned the throttle body about a year ago. It also has a fresh air filter. I am getting no error codes, and the Jeep runs fine. I am not getting any hesitation or rough idle.

I read a post saying I should replace relays 39 and 40 in the forward fuse box. I removed these when I was having the issue and examined them, they are not hot to the touch, and I swapped their positions and it made no difference.
The Jeep has been doing this off and on for almost 2 years. It seems that itís getting more frequent and I need to find out what is wrong. I thank you in advance for any replies, any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-13-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Points: 3,607, Level: 37 Points: 3,607, Level: 37 Points: 3,607, Level: 37
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Hello, Looks like this post went through, We have been having some spammers so we require a few new posts, before you can post onto a open discussion? Blue or an admin might chime in about the requirements, but welcome to the Forum!

06 Commander Limited HEMI. k&n drop in with air raid M.I.T . Aeroturbine 3030xl on factory exhaust pipe . Superchips tuned 93. Bilstein 5100 front @1.5 and 5100 on rear. Black on Brown.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55 Points: 7,084, Level: 55
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Check the terminals on the starter, these nuts tend to loosen up and do not provide a solid contact. When they heat up they expand, and excaberate the condition. There's a YouTube video of it out there. My 06 had that issue and all it took was a really fun time (insert sarcasm here) getting up in there to tighten the nuts down. If that doesn't do the trick, we'll try something else.

06 Limited Hemi QDII
CBEngineering Coilover Lift Kit, tie rod ends, U+L rear control arms, RRO front UCAs, adjustable track bar, JKS QD sway bar links, Steel Armadillo diff cover and A/C armor, 4xGuard full Matrix, rock sliders, rear sliders, and belly guard, Wilco Offroad Hitchgate, all riding on ProComp Series 29 17x8.5 wheels with 265/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

.45ACP...because shooting twice is just, well, silly.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Remove and clean the battery terminals and posts on the battery with wire brush or battery post cleaning tool. Reinstall and tighten them down.

Check the starter motor and its cable connections, earlier Commanders have a problem with corrosion collecting on the terminals of the starter and causing them to intermittently short. Never done it, or had a problem with it, I believe there is something about a yellow wire, clip on terminal, that corrodes and needs cleaning or it might not start the vehicle.

Cold causes bayonet, slide over, type terminals to contract and make better contact with the bayonet portion, as they warm up and expand, they put less pressure on the bayonet sticking into the sleeve that makes the connection. I have a mini-van that the Airbag light comes on in warm weather and goes out in cold weather. My Auto-Enginuity Scan tool read the airbag codes, and it was for resistance to high in the driver side airbag circuit. I took the only connector apart in that circuit and bent the tabs in the connector a bit to make more pressure and sure enough it worked and the airbag light went out for 2 years, its back again haven't fixed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Probably worth mentioning that the truck cranks just fine, just won't turn over when I am having this issue.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Points: 2,037, Level: 27 Points: 2,037, Level: 27 Points: 2,037, Level: 27
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Garage
Trace

Start at the starter and work backwards, if the motor fails to start, then is the starter getting the needed voltage at the needed time, and work back through the connections till you get to the battery. A voltmeter may be better than a test light as the amp. draw can not be measured with a test light.

Swanny
RickTheMick likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Points: 15,422, Level: 80 Points: 15,422, Level: 80 Points: 15,422, Level: 80
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1477 View Post
Probably worth mentioning that the truck cranks just fine, just won't turn over when I am having this issue.
Clarify what you said -
Does it crank (turn over is the same thing) ALL the time?
When you have the problem does it crank/turnover but not fire/run or does it not crank/turnover?
Would help us a bunch.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Yes, you were confusing. I think your saying the starter motor cranks the engine just fine except when you have the issue, then it doesn't crank at all?

Starter motors and battery's can fail intermittently, especially with a temperature change, same with the cables, yes the battery cables can fail. Also the corrosion problems on the connections to the starter motor, its not hard to imagine they could be effected by hot or cold.

If a starter motor fails to turn, if you rap it with a wrench or other hard object a few times and it then turns fine, that is a huge sign the brushes are worn out and you need a new starter motor.

If you're saying the starter motor cranks just fine in all conditions, when your issue happens the starter cranks the motor it just doesn't fire and start, then yes it is a different problem then we are suggesting you check.

I've heard Crank Position Sensors can fail intermittently and not set a fault code. But intermittent failure of the CPS usually results in stalling and a dead engine for 5 minutes, not starting problems. And if its a matter of when the issue starts, the starter motor will not crank the engine, I think you need to look at the starter motor and its electrical supply.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Points: 3,236, Level: 35 Points: 3,236, Level: 35 Points: 3,236, Level: 35
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

my 06' let me stranded on the Canadian Border and also in Omaha due to corrosion on the starter terminals. Had to pull the starter all thew way off to verify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Tags
engine warm , ignition , intermittent , new member post , problem , warm engine , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.