Shifting from Park to Drive Grinding noise - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Shifting from Park to Drive Grinding noise

Anyone help! I just bought a 2006 commander Limited. Service 4whl drive came on and took it to the dealer. Mechanic said he thinks that the 4wd lever was engaged while driving. I pulled the transfer case out and took it to my tranny guy who cracked it and said it looked fine, while thinking it would need to be rebuilt and in the meantime I bought a new actuater at 320.00, Put it all back together and still Have a grinding noise when the vehicle is shifted from park to drive. I am stumped and so is my tranny guy. Any knowledge about this would be grately appreciated. Please note that when I put it all back together and started it with my foot on the brake the ABS was making alot of noise under the hood as well and dont know if the two are linked. Please help me out on this Thanks in Advance Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Points: 6,145, Level: 50 Points: 6,145, Level: 50 Points: 6,145, Level: 50
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Is it more like a racheting sound???? Mine does it, there is a TSB to fix it.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, AEM Brute Force CAI, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain II tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, Rear grab handles, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, front guard, jeepinbyals upper control arms, borla cat back exhaust and LED off road bar 40" and dully D2's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Points: 6,145, Level: 50 Points: 6,145, Level: 50 Points: 6,145, Level: 50
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

TSB number 03-004-07, http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, AEM Brute Force CAI, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain II tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, Rear grab handles, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, front guard, jeepinbyals upper control arms, borla cat back exhaust and LED off road bar 40" and dully D2's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98

Manually put the transfer case in neutral and see if it still makes the noise when shifting throughout the gears. The owners manual expains how to properly shift it into neutral. I blew my transfer case a few weeks ago while off road and even when it was in neutral I was having major grinding. I replaced it with a used transfer case from a 2005 HEMI Jeep Geand Cherokee and everything has been fine since.

That ABS noise you were hearing. Was it a totally different noise then the original noise you were hearing when you thought something was wrong with the tcase?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 10-12-2010 at 06:25 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Abs

I just noticed that the abs was making a pumping sound up front when I R&R'd the transfer case when I have my foot on the brake and start the engine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Now they say its in the tranny

Well now they are saying that the noise is not coming from the transfer it coming from the tranny.... Go figure and feel free to post if you have any ideas on what it might be Thanks Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.