Jeep Commander Forum banner

Broken Valve Stem

26K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  webskis 
#1 ·
So my low pressure light comes on and tells me that I need air in my right rear tire. I stopped to put air in and the valve is broken about 1/4 of the way from the top. I called my local tire shop and they said this is a problem that they have heard of with these trucks. They said the stem with sensor is made of aluminum and they get corroded and brittle. They said to contact the dealer since it’s still covered under warranty. Has anyone else had any problems with these valve stems?

#2 ·
Figz said:
So my low pressure light comes on and tells me that I need air in my right rear tire. I stopped to put air in and the valve is broken about 1/4 of the way from the top. I called my local tire shop and they said this is a problem that they have heard of with these trucks. They said the stem with sensor is made of aluminum and they get corroded and brittle. They said to contact the dealer since it’s still covered under warranty. Has anyone else had any problems with these valve stems?

No, but I could see it happening if you are off-road. EBay has some good deals on sensors time to time.

#3 ·
The sensor is not located in steam of valve it is attached to the wheel looks like a
2"x2" square. (inside the tire) they do have tire sensors like the ones you are reffering to. The commader does not have those.

#4 ·
Ranger6882 said:
The sensor is not located in steam of valve it is attached to the wheel looks like a
2"x2" square. (inside the tire) they do have tire sensors like the ones you are reffering to. The commader does not have those.
Huh, you sure about that. Because I'm 110% sure that they are attached to the valve stem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Commander-Tire-Pressure-Sensor_W0QQitemZ270213108027QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_commander/parts/electrical/tire_pressure_sensor.html

#5 ·
#6 ·
Ok so I went to the dealership this morning and no problems. They replaced it free of charge under warranty. I did ask if the extended warranty covers the valve stems and the service writer said yes it would.

#28 ·
There is two parts to the system, the sensor in the wheel that senses the air pressure and transmitts it to another part of the system, a reciever that is likely placed close as possible to the wheel to recieve the signal. The drawing and what you are talking about, sounds like the reciever mounted near the wheel.

What the others are talking about in the thread is the sensor that is mounted in the wheel and the valve stem is part of it.

There are also stories of them being easily broken when changing tires. You have to remember, the previous valve stems were rubber, something contacted it, it just bent out of the way and bounced back. Now, because they have to mount a sensor as light as possible (for wheel balance) you have to have this lightweight rigid assembly that will easily be crushed by anything that would just cause the old rubber stems to bounce back and forth.

Write your Congressman, someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole reason we have to put up with this and pay so much extra is because its now federal law that the vehicles have to monitor the tire pressure. After a couple of idiots never checked their tire pressure, and overloaded their Ford Explorers, which Ford designs/recommendation and selection of bad designed Firestone tire, resulted in a couple of people having a blow out, and then a couple more that over-reacted when it happened and had a bad crash.

#9 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had to drop my spare for the first time. I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership. I am at 35,500 miles, so I hope they cover mine too. If you live in the midwest you may want to check your stems. It just snapped off. On the positive, I found out that I had a chrome clad wheel that matched perfect.

#10 ·
My XK is at the Goodyear dealership right now getting new rims and tires on it. Three of the TPMS stems broke when they tried to remove them from the old rims. The manager told me that it is a real problem with Chrysler stems because they use junk for metals that are inferior and corrode. They said it's usually not a problem because most people in the general population never change out their stock rims. Three sensors at $55 each for me though, nothing like added expenses in everything you do. I guess it's just a fact of life, just another $165, easy come easy go.

#11 ·
The dealership "fixed it" for me yesterday. This morning the tire was low (15 PSI). They did replace my valve stem with no charge. No questions were asked. He did say that certain aftermarket caps could cause the problem. They are getting me a new back glass because I had a defrost grid go out. They also get to track down a short in the passenger side power port. They said they will need it for a full day.

#12 ·
Regarding the valve caps.........
These stems will corrode and break off due to the electrolisis that WILL occur if anything but the plastic valve caps are installed.
You guys out in the western dry lands can probably get away with a chrome or metal cap but here in the salty midwest, corrosion reins supreme.
I've even seen the cap and stem portion no longer on the vehicle.
Somehow enouph of the valve core stayed put to continue holding air.

Rob

#13 ·
good info I just went to a shop that wanted over 100 a tire to replace them. dealer said under warrant. looks like the bad guys aren't so bad today.

#14 ·
If they werent under warranty youd be paying more then 100 dollars per wheel for the dealer to replace them.

#15 ·
when i had my firestones put on, the guy broke one when he was changing the tires. he did not know he did it, so i didnt raise to much hell. they fixed it for free and i was on my way. he told me that i should never put metal caps on because of corrosion. i changed the caps on my work trucks and all of the ones that had metal caps had at least one that was jacked. my boss wasnt happy because he had to spend $700 to get the ones that broke fixed. sorry dad!!
EOD OUT!

#19 ·
all four of my valve stems need to be replaced. i busted one while trying to put air into the tires. mechanic at the place i stopped into put in a temporary valve. didn't even think about warranty because it was my own stupidity that broke the valve, so i picked up the part from a dealership and went back to the mechanic to install. $77 for the part and $30 for install

the other three valves will have the same problem if i try to take the caps off... going to the dealership monday to see if they will replace the other 3 under warranty.

#20 ·
valve stem..2 in 24 hours

I had the exact same thing happened to my parents commander... for the most part. The front driver tire started flashing 29. The rear driver wasn't flashing, but showed 30 & the others were around 33/34.

I went to a shell station to air up the tire, but it didn't sound like air was going in at all. I can't even remember if I attempted the rear or not. I thought maybe it was the thing at Shell. I know this will sound dumb to other people, but I had to do this stunt before and it worked.. I went home and hooked up the bike pump and gave it a few tries & took it off the valve. When I did, the valve stem broke.

Here is the kicker.. later my mom took it to Wal-Mart & they took a while figuring out how to make it reset. Mom picked it back up and later took it to my uncles for him to check the air because the tpms wasn't resetting. I'm under the impression he went to check the air a second time and the rear drivers tire went flat when he took the cap off. Oh and the valve stem broke on that one too.

2 IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS!

#21 ·
I bought a replacement stem and valve kit on amazon. The stem that came fits into the tpms but doesn't have the hole for attaching the metal clip on the stock stem.

Does anyone know what the metal clip is for? Is it needed or is it used as a ground, antennae for sending the signal or anything else?

#23 · (Edited)
The sensor and valve stem are two pieces. The sensor is black molded plastic, the valve stem is metal and goes through a hole in the sensor and is stopped by the tabs on the valve stem. You are correct in that it is held on the wheel with a nut but the nut screws onto the valve stem from the outside of the wheel.

Here is what my tpms assembly's looks like.

http://www.chryslertpms.com/images/tpms-hand.jpg

Does anyone know what the little thin metal clip/strap is for?

#25 ·
I am talking about the little metal strip that comes out of the middle of the black tpms and goes down to the valve stem; it is held in place to the valve stem by a screw. Does anyone know what the strip is for.

It is flexible but will break off at the tpms if moved to much.

#27 ·
After the dealer replaced my 4 rim under warranty, left rear tire been having a slow leak. Lost the valve cap and had the car thru the Michigan winter.
Tried to put some air in last week and to my shocking surprise the valve stem tip broke! Found this forum, called up several Discounttire store and each gave different cost to repair ranging from $9 to $75. Fearing for highway blow out, Was ready to dish out $75 but it turn out to be less than $10 incld tax. $4.50 for the valve stem and $4.50 for the repair kit. Today is a good day!

2007 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 Flex Fuel

#29 ·
Broken valve with TPMS replacement

Yes, I recently had put on metal valve caps with pressure monitors and they fused on the stem.

The stem broke when trying to take the cap off and my mechanic charged me $175 to replace the sensor, fill the tire and put back on the vehicle. Even with labor this sounds very high to me?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.