Engine Stalling - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,373, Level: 29 Points: 2,373, Level: 29 Points: 2,373, Level: 29
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Engine Stalling

I had an incident when my Commander only had about 200 miles on it. I was driving downhill on the Interstate when my engine quit and the speedometer and tach went to zero. I wish I had taken a moment to check out the instruments and exactly what was going on (mainly the ignition key). More about that later.

However, since I was rolling on the highway at 65 MPH, without thinking, I immediately reached down and turned the ignition key to start. The engine immediately restarted and the speedometer and tach came back up to normal readings. As to whether the key was in the "on" position, "off" or somewhere in between I haven't a clue. At that moment, I just wanted to get it running ASAP. I was more than a little shaken the rest of the way home waiting for it to happen again.

Back to the ignition key. I have several keys (probably too many) on my Jeep key ring. I suspect that perhaps they were over weighted to one side, putting pressure or at least a basis toward the "off" position. Now, stepping into total guess land, I'm wondering if the ignition key was not totally in the "on" position and my knee pressure might have been enough to move the ignition key to the off position.

Not taking the time to check where the ignition key was when the engine quit is the key to this problem. The reason I suspect it was in the off position is because the speedometer read zero at 65 MPH. Even if the engine had quit, if the ignition key was in the on position, I would think the speedometer would still read the actual speed instead of zero.

This is the only time this has happened to me. I now check to see if the ignition key is fully on after starting. Since this one incident, this has never again happened to me while driving my Commander.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar problem with the ignition key cylinder in their Commander or any other Jeep? Would it be possible for the engine to run if the ignition key was not fully in the on detent?

Sorry about the lengthy report, but I wanted to describe the incident as clearly as I remember it.

'06 Commander Limited, '08 VW Eos, '06 Prius, '99 Acura TL,

Order of favorite Ride...Commander and Eos tied, Acura TL, Prius (my wife likes to drive the Prius and that's FINE with me!)

Last edited by jeep cmder; 05-02-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM
TPS
Points: 8,524, Level: 62 Points: 8,524, Level: 62 Points: 8,524, Level: 62
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Re: Anyone have their engine quit on the road?

I haven't had that happen, but I could see how it easily could - I initially had my key on my big key ring with my 5lbs or so of other keys, but they were hitting my knee while I drove, so now I just keep the Jeep key seperate. I also hit the key with my knee and killed the engine once while shuffling around in my seat - luckily I was idling in my driveway.
post #3 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Points: 3,192, Level: 34 Points: 3,192, Level: 34 Points: 3,192, Level: 34
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

That has happened twice to me. Both times I realized that I hit the key with my knee. It shook me up the first time and the second time I just turned the key back on. I hope this isn't super bad for the engine.

I lowered the position of my seat which helps some. I am usually very conscious of it now. I will probably take the other keys off of that one just to be safe. I can't really see anything else that I could do or the dealer could do. I have read about this happening to one other person.
post #4 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Wow! I would imagine the steering wheel would lock up if the key turned too far. That could definitely be a big problem!
post #5 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Fortunately I was going straight ahead when it happened. What surprised me the most was the speedometer and the tach instantly going to zero. My first thought "oh, oh!!!"

The engine was only off for a couple of seconds. However, I didn't feel any increase in the steering feel. So, even though the tach was at zero, I assume the engine was turning over enough to keep the power steering going.

This has got to be some kind of defect in the ignition cylinder that would allow it to get out of the "on" detent enough to stop the engine.

Although I didn't mention it when I started this thread, I do believe my knee hit the key also. Kinda crappy that a knee bumb could kill the engine. At the wrong time, this could be VERY serious, especially if someone didn't think to GO for the key immediately.

As to engaging the steering column lock, I think the transmission has to be in Park along with the key in the off position to engage the lock.

Order of favorite Ride...Commander and Eos tied, Acura TL, Prius (my wife likes to drive the Prius and that's FINE with me!)
post #6 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Points: 1,768, Level: 24 Points: 1,768, Level: 24 Points: 1,768, Level: 24
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

OMG!! thats ALMOST enough to stop me from buying a commander! if the key happened to turn off while I was slamming the gas down to MOVE into traffic and I had to think about what happened, and then try to start it again, and then realize it has to be in park, and push on the brake, and put it in park, and turn the key... thats enough time for someone to side swipe me, or for me to cause a SERIOUS pile up!

START SENDING SOME LETTERS TO DCX!!
post #7 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 AM

It doesn't have to be in park to restart. I just turned the key back to the full on position and everything resumed. Not that that makes it much better. It is still dangerous.
post #8 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeefrickenda
It doesn't have to be in park to restart. I just turned the key back to the full on position and everything resumed. Not that that makes it much better. It is still dangerous.
Interest point! Normally, the vehicle (almost any) has to be in either "Park" or "neutral" to start the engine. When this incident happened to me, everything went so fast that I don't remember exactly what I did. All I definitely remember was that I turned the key and the engine immediately roared back to life. I KNOW the engine will NOT start if the transmission selector is in "drive" when the vehicle is parked. As to whether it will start in drive when in motion, I'm not sure. I suspect I MUST have shifted to neutral before my restart. Does anyone know if the starter will engage while if in "drive" if the vehicle is in motion? This doesn't seem like something I want to try to just get the answer.

If this ever happens to any one, I think the best response is to (1) shift to neutral, (2) turn the key to "start", and (3) thank your lucky stars you didn't bend any metal during the procedure.

To answer 06commander4_me, while I don't think this problem is that big of deal, it's something that Jeep should consider fixing. In the present situation, it's best NOT to have a big bunch of keys hanging on the same ring that your Jeep ignition key is on and just make sure you have the ignition key fully in the "on" detent when driving.

post #9 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:18 PM

I do not know if the starter would work in the drive position. I know I didn't shift in to nuetral, which may be better for the engine. I think that by keeping it in drive and turning the key back to on it must be similar to push starting a car with a manual trasmission, and you don't need to use the starter at all. Either way I hope it doesn't happen again. I definately agree with not having a lot of keys. I am only going to have one.

I believe that both times it happened to me I had the cruise control on and was shifting positions. I really can't see it happening while accelerating. Anyway people should definately be aware.
post #10 of 167 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Points: 1,724, Level: 24 Points: 1,724, Level: 24 Points: 1,724, Level: 24
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Exclamation Re: Anyone have their engine quit on the road?

We bought our Jeep Commander last month... Had a new 05 Dodge Grand Caravan and it was a lemon so Daimler Chrysler replaced it. We chose the Jeep Commander. I am beginning to feel that too was a mistake. Yesturday on the way taking my little girl to school, I stopped at a stop sign ( going up hill ) and my engine just died. I don't know if I put it in neutral or in park, but I turned the ignition and it restarted immediately. This was somewhat unnerving because I started rolling down the hill, with cars behind me before I realized the ignition turned off. I have been doing some research and see that is a common problem that consumers are having. I do have several keys on my keychain and will be taking some off today.

I have some problems with noises as well and was wondering if anyone else has had the same type noise... When I let my foot off the the accelerator, there is a whining noise that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle... almost sounds like the rear end is going out... One time there was a weird noise that seemed like it was coming from right under the dash....I haven't heard it since. The Jeep also seems like it doesn't shift gears and the engine seems strained at times... I have a 4.7 V-8. This makes me a little nervous giving our past problems with our Grand Caravan. Has anyone experienced these problems or are we just cursed when it comes to vehicles?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.