Service 4WD system.........input needed - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Unhappy Service 4WD system.........input needed

So we have owned this Commander for a year and a half, in the year or so leading up to our purchase from previous owner his dealer had addressed the "service 4WD system" code by flashing with the N23 and later the P73 updates, within a month of the last update the t-case actuator was replaced and that was about a month before we purchased the Jeep. The previous owner was open about the issue and I have invoices documenting the fixes mentioned.

All has been fine since we took ownership until yesterday when the "service" light came on. I have tried to #23 fuse removal to no avail.

My question is, do these vehicles have a history of eating t-case actuators after these flashes and could I need a new actuator just over a year since the last one was replaced? I have read this thread, but did not see anything definitive regarding the reliability of the actuator fix:

transfer case problem??

Will a re-flash possibly help?

Last edited by Kaiser; 12-19-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Points: 4,747, Level: 43 Points: 4,747, Level: 43 Points: 4,747, Level: 43
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
So we have owned this Commander for a year and a half, in the year or so leading up to our purchase from previous owner his dealer had addressed the "service 4WD system" code by flashing with the N23 and later the P73 updates, within a month of the last update the t-case actuator was replaced and that was about a month before we purchased the Jeep. The previous owner was open about the issue and I have invoices documenting the fixes mentioned.

All has been fine since we took ownership until yesterday when the "service" light came on. I have tried to #23 fuse removal to no avail.

My question is, do these vehicles have a history of eating t-case actuators after these flashes and could I need a new actuator just over a year since the last one was replaced? I have read this thread, but did not see anything definitive regarding the reliability of the actuator fix:

transfer case problem??

Will a re-flash possibly help?
You should not need a new transfer case actuator motor a year after replacing it.

I also know there is another actuator motor (other than the one on the transfer case) somewhere in the 4WD system that is also involved in engaging the 4WD system. It could be that this other actuator motor may have gone bad.

What you are calling a re-flash, is actually reprogramming the Final Drive Control Module otherwise known as P73. The P73 campaign is for Commanders with the the Quadra-Trac II & Quadra-Drive II 4WD systems which both use the NV245 transfer case.

There is a very informative thread about it here:

Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall

I'm also attaching the actual P73 service campaign notice at the bottom of this post.

I have read about some people having the reprogramming done 3 times consecutively - but it shouldn't need to be done like that if it's done properly the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyscosmos
I got it flashed 3 and cleared 3 times consecutively day before yesterday...And its working perfect, see how long it holds..
aloha..newbie with first question

I had my transfer case actuator motor replaced 2 years ago and I also had the P73 campaign completed about 6 months after that.

I haven't had any problems since.

Here is another very informative thread on the subject:

Looking to Buy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 14 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-20-2016 at 04:58 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Blue, great information there. I'm going to dig through this and call my dealer later today and hope for the best (less $) solution.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Big Blue, great information there. I'm going to dig through this and call my dealer later today and hope for the best (less $) solution.
No problem, let me know how it goes.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
No problem, let me know how it goes.
The code check came up with C1438, transfer case differential clutch worn. Codes were cleared and road test/shifting in and out of 4 low and warning light has not returned. Somewhere here I thought I read where this code can come up but is related to programming, not actually having worn out clutch packs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
The code check came up with C1438, transfer case differential clutch worn. Codes were cleared and road test/shifting in and out of 4 low and warning light has not returned. Somewhere here I thought I read where this code can come up but is related to programming, not actually having worn out clutch packs.
This is one I haven't heard of before Kaiser.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:

Hope that lasts..

transitioning from Cherokee XJ to Commander....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Points: 128, Level: 2 Points: 128, Level: 2 Points: 128, Level: 2
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

p73 fixed mine. fwiw
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie4x4 View Post
p73 fixed mine. fwiw
I think it works for most people Charlie, it just seems once in a while, someone has an issue where for some unknown reason - the reprogramming doesn't hold - like in grumpyscosmos case;
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyscosmos
I got it flashed 3 and cleared 3 times consecutively day before yesterday...And its working perfect, see how long it holds..

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-10-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't know about that specific code Kaiser, but, not being able to shift into 4-LOW is typically an indication of the P73 campaign which is the reprogramming of the final drive control module which has been discussed a couple of times already in this thread - but as I said, I am unsure of the specific code it generates.

Again, the P73 campaign is for Commanders with the the Quadra-Trac II & Quadra-Drive II 4WD systems which both use the NV245 transfer case.

You can read more about it here; Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-11-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.