Intermittent wiper setting a bit unreliable affecting rain sense wiper feature - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Intermittent wiper setting a bit unreliable affecting rain sense wiper feature

Hi! I have a 2007 Commander Limited 4.7L with 97000 miles on it. In the last month when I turn the wiper to any of the intermittent settings (just prior to normal and fast setting) the wipers will function ok but then on one cycle they will jump up 2 inches and pause. Then on the next intermittent cycle they will continue up then back down. Next they may function fine for a few wipes then they jump up 2 inches and pause. Then on the next intermittent cycle they continue. (when on rain sense when the wipers jump up 2in they will not work until I hit the switch on click or hit down on the wiper bar to activate the wipers one cycle).

The wipers work fine on full low or full high. Ive replaced both wiper relays under the hood. The High/Low wiper relay as well as the normal on/off wiper relay. No difference in the issue. Im hoping since the issue happens on intermittent someone might have an idea of what might be burning out. I didnt think its the wiper motor because the wipers dont pause/jerk/malfunction at all in fast or slow and always return home when turned off.

Thanks for any feedback!

07 Commander V8 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Rear wiper spins like a pinwheel

Kind of a funny one. My rear wiper (its done this since I bought the 07 commander used) spins like a pinwheel if you activate the rear sprayer. Once activate and spinning it will never stop until you pull the fuse. If you pull the fuse under the dash for the rear wiper then put it back in it will remain stopped. The rear wiper will NOT function in any other setting. Just spins like a pinwheel forever until you pull the fuse if you activate the rear sprayer.

Im hoping there is a cheap control module that burnt out in the rear hatch door or under the hood or would I have to replace the whole rear motor which otherwise works fine and is powerful. I have a feeling that spinning like a pinwheel means some limiter is broken in the motor though. haha

07 Commander V8 Limited
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Points: 15,422, Level: 80 Points: 15,422, Level: 80 Points: 15,422, Level: 80
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

It may be the rain sensor module, below is procedure to replace it. No idea of cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rain sensor.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	23425  

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 6,908, Level: 54 Points: 6,908, Level: 54 Points: 6,908, Level: 54
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
It may be the rain sensor module, below is procedure to replace it. No idea of cost.
Looks like the Rain Sensor Module is only about $90.00;

Genuine OEM Parts Search | Cheapest Factory Parts

Part # 5026087AE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-07-2017 at 11:02 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 AM

Before replacing the rain sensor circuit board take a close look at the mounting to the windshield. Look from the windshield side and there should be no delaminating or bubble looking, if there is a new windshield is the only fix for that mounting.

Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I checked the adherence to the windshield and it looks good. Just to clarify I have disabled the intermittant wiper feature via the dash controls and even in manual intermittent mode the wipers will (randomly NOT every time) jump up 2inches and stop then next intermittent cycle they will complete the wipe and return. The wipers always jump only 2 inches and the wipe always completes the next cycle when the issue occurs (which is random)

If the rain sense feature is disabled completely would the rain sense module still cause an issue with manual intermittent mode like this? Thanks just clarifying. I suppose I could just pull the rain sense module plug from the rear view mirror to see if intermittent still functions.

07 Commander V8 Limited
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 AM

Probably not the rain sense if just using the intermittent. Pulling the plug on the rain sense will cause the wipers to run all the time, I had my windshield replaced and they left it unplugged and that's how I know. Since they ran all the time when unplugged and the wipers were turned off - the rain sense module could possibly be at fault? Using intermittent on mine the wipers stop at the 2" point all the time and only park all the way down when off, same for the rear.

Last edited by rblapham; 01-14-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:40 AM

I just checked my wipers - the front ones do go to the fully down position between wipes when on intermittent. The rear one stays up a couple inches between wipes on intermittent. I think my former grand Cherokee had the front ones stay up a couple inches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.