burning smell - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,920, Level: 26 Points: 1,920, Level: 26 Points: 1,920, Level: 26
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

burning smell

I was going home after work yesterday and stopped at a stoplight and could begin to smell a burnt rubber smell which I thought was coming from the Ford Taurus I was behind since I smelled it when stopped behind this vehicle through the next series of lights. But then I turned off and I could smell it at the next stop sign however more faint. I reallly can't tell where the smell is coming from, I stopped and opened the hood and didn't see any smoking anywhere or damage to the serpentine belt (FYI it was windy and 2 degrees out so I couldn't really rely on my nose). Anyway the vehicle has 24,000 miles and had a oil change 800 miles ago, so it isn't an issue related to new parts heating up and paint baking and I can't imagine that if there was oil spilt during the last oil change it would still be buring off.

Anyone else with a similar issue? I have only drove 10 miles since I first smelled it and now I am getting a cold so I can't smell anything, I guess I will get the wife out there to see if I am crazy before I take it to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Points: 23,436, Level: 94 Points: 23,436, Level: 94 Points: 23,436, Level: 94
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Maybe it was a brake smell. The disc might have been hot if you did some quick stops or if you ride the brake pedal. Just an idea.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Points: 108,026, Level: 100 Points: 108,026, Level: 100 Points: 108,026, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

That's funny ... I had this guy try to race me at the light yesterday (my first one with the Commander) and I didn't notice until we were going like 20 MPH

I had to get into the left turn lane at the next light so I matted it to get ahead of him... his car looked like it got chained to a fence post

Anyway, when I got to the job at futre shop I noticed a similar smell ... were you driving quickly at the time?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100 Points: 61,826, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Check and see if it is coming from the plastic in the heater duct. That has been discussed in another thread.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

hmmmm did you have the floor heater on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A.K.A SNOWMANDER

2006 Dark Khaki Commander:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Clicky

<-Clicky
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,920, Level: 26 Points: 1,920, Level: 26 Points: 1,920, Level: 26
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

To answer all of your questions:

I wasn't doing any quick or hard braking, nor riding the brake.

No hard acceleration either being that the car was stilll warming up from low outdoor temperatures -13 when I parked at work in the morning 2 above when I left. So I was driving slow to get up to proper operating temps.

I'll have to check the vents and look up the plastic ducting issue

I did have the fan set on high set to defrost+floor heat- why do ask if I had floor heat on, is this a common issue.

Thanks everyone
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Points: 108,026, Level: 100 Points: 108,026, Level: 100 Points: 108,026, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommander View Post
hmmmm did you have the floor heater on?
Mine the smell was just outside not inside and only mild ... I almost always have the heater set to auto
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Make sure any loose debris like a plastic bag, is stuck onto any of the exhaust components. My wife had one wrapped around her exhaust. It was an unusual burning smell, that we dropped it at the stealership, and they simply removed the bag, and billed us a mouthful ...ARGH! That's just one possibility for ya...

Join us on Facebook @

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKJeep06 View Post
Make sure any loose debris like a plastic bag, is stuck onto any of the exhaust components. My wife had one wrapped around her exhaust. It was an unusual burning smell, that we dropped it at the stealership, and they simply removed the bag, and billed us a mouthful ...ARGH! That's just one possibility for ya...
That' s a possibility ... I had some prankster when I was inconstruction completley wrap my exaust with vapour barrier plastic once ... the smell was noticable occasionaly for a very longtiime afterwards (but I have to admit I never made any attempts to remove the plastic)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebellionInd View Post
To answer all of your questions:

I wasn't doing any quick or hard braking, nor riding the brake.

No hard acceleration either being that the car was stilll warming up from low outdoor temperatures -13 when I parked at work in the morning 2 above when I left. So I was driving slow to get up to proper operating temps.

I'll have to check the vents and look up the plastic ducting issue

I did have the fan set on high set to defrost+floor heat- why do ask if I had floor heat on, is this a common issue.

Thanks everyone
i know when my floor heater is on my boots make it smeel like burning rubber

A.K.A SNOWMANDER

2006 Dark Khaki Commander:

<-Clicky

<-Clicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.