Jeep Commander Forum banner

Water Leak (Inside Passenger Compartment)

Tags
water leak
285K views 610 replies 247 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
I am looking at the new commander and was prepared to buy one this week - however, when I visited my dealer earlier this week it was raining earlier that morning and the jeep had been sitting outside in the lot obviously. When I got inside to drive again, I noticed that water was leaking down from a little capped area above the handles on each side of the front windshield. Has anyone else had this happen during or after a rain or heard that this is a problem?

I really like this Jeep but would like to know whether this leak was limited to the one I looked at or part of a larger problem - any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Re: Water Leaks?

thanks for the replies - I think this particular jeep may have had an issue - the dealer said they were going to check it out, but the commanders sitting next to it didn't have any leakage. Thanks again - I think I'm going to join the family next week.:D

#400 ·
NO Leaks.

thanks for the replies - I think this particular jeep may have had an issue - the dealer said they were going to check it out, but the commanders sitting next to it didn't have any leakage. Thanks again - I think I'm going to join the family next week.:D
Get aboard man. The Commander is unique. NO LEAKS either. A one off issue perhaps. Tight. Mobile and also a cruiser. The 5.7 Hemi can even be tricked out if you feel it necessary but remember it is a high end ride not so much rabbit punching off the start line. :eyemouth:

#6 ·

Could be sunroof drain tubes blocked, or the roof rack leaks. There are a few other things, but those are the two most common. There is a TSB for wind noise and water leaks that is rather long and addresses several possible problems on the XK.

#10 ·

joep1965 said:
We Have Ours For Two Weeks, Only 300 Miles.
I Noticed A Leak Coming From The Sunroof.
It Appears To Be Closed All The Way.
Can Some One Help?
Joe
Is it dripping into the frame around the sunroof? Or is it dripping into the interior onto seats or carpet? There are drains in each corner of the sunroof frame, they are not 100% water tight and no sunroof is, so as long as it is dripping into the frame and draining normally then it should be fine. Otherwise take it to the dealer, thats what your warranty is for.

#303 ·
where do you get your facts from?

I don't know where you get your facts from but all sunroofs are made to be 100% water tight. Ok maybe not the XK's. I had to get mine replaced at 3000 miles. If water is dripping into the frame then it means that there is a leak. You say that this is normal and should be fine?
Is it dripping into the frame around the sunroof? Or is it dripping into the interior onto seats or carpet? There are drains in each corner of the sunroof frame, they are not 100% water tight and no sunroof is, so as long as it is dripping into the frame and draining normally then it should be fine. Otherwise take it to the dealer, thats what your warranty is for.

#12 ·

Ditto, took it on a 700 mile juant, to Gattlinburg Tenn last weekend. Driving rain half the way there, no leaks. There was a car shoe there and we didn't see any XK's except for ours. Strange...... but jaws were dropping when we went by! We were the show! allllrright!!!!!

#13 ·

Hi,
I found water in the center console cup holders, thats why I noticed the leak.
I brought it to the dealer they found nothing. I am going ride it through the car wash and watch it. Maybe is was one of those things, we had two days of heavy rain and my driveway has slight incline.

thanks
Joe

#15 ·

joep1965 said:
Hi,
I found water in the center console cup holders, thats why I noticed the leak.
I brought it to the dealer they found nothing. I am going ride it through the car wash and watch it. Maybe is was one of those things, we had two days of heavy rain and my driveway has slight incline.

thanks
Joe
Could be the rear sunroof drains are clogged, or the sunroof module itself is leaking at the back. Both problems will usually only show up on an incline. The front drains do all of the draining on level ground. Because of the one piece headliner water that gets in anywhere above it can come out just about anywhere, usually at the front, the A pillar screw covers are usually where they show up first, and then the map light sunglass holder module is another spot they will drip from. I usually jack up the front end, open the sunroof and pour a water bottle directly into the sunroof drain channel. You could run water on the roof for hours and never get the leak to show up, but rear drains or modules will show up with this test, it may require lowering the headliner a bit to look inside, sometimes they dont show up right away and then when driving ou of the shop it starts dripping from the A pillars or rear pillars. Water leaks can be a PITA but a sunroof leak should be pretty easy to diagnose with a little common sense.

#16 ·

My 65th XK went in yesterday after 4 straight days of rain here. On my way to work I noticed water coming in the screw caps on the A-pillar. I just wish they wouldn't have given me a purple Mazda Tribute as a loaner...

#18 ·
Rear Window Washer Leak Inside Cabin

:eek:
OK... I have just searched the forum and cannot find a post in this - gee nice to be the first

While driving in a bit of misting rain yesterday I hit the rear window wash/wipe. Noticing that no fluid came out I figured... time to get more fluid. I did not try the windsheild washer since the windshield was clean.

I picked up fluid today, started to fill the supposed 1 gallon fluid tank and barely got 1/4 gallon in before it overflowed :confused:

Of course, the next step is to try the rear washer fluid...when I hit the switch I heard a weird noise coming from what I thought was the front driver dash speaker... MORE :confused: ... I of course hit the switch again with my eyes and ears fixed on the speaker... what do I notice... WASHER FLUID DRIPPING FROM OF ALL THINGS... THE DRIVER ENTRY ASSISTANCE BAR (from there the screw cover is at)!!!!

I will be making a call to the service dept tomorrow and I am sure I will get the standard answer I have gotten every time I call to tell them something ELSE is wrong :mad: - "Gee We have not had any problems out of the Commander" ... WELL guess what they do now!

I also will be printing out many, many pages from this site to let the service mgr and pres of the DS see that I am not the only one having issues.

Has anyone else had this issue??

I really do love the vehicle... just wish it was not in for a problem every two or three weeks!

#20 ·
Re: Rear Window Washer Leak Inside Cabin

rubicontrail.net said:
Did the dealer have any reason to have removed the passenger assist handle in one of their previous work? If so, they may have pinched the line in between the screw and caused a leak.
I am not sure. On a previous repair they may have had to take the entire headliner out because..get this... the grab handle on the passanger side back seat WAS NOT ATTACHED TO THE FRAME! Would have never noticed until I took my parents on a small road trip and my father asked why the roof pulled down when he proped his hand on it!

This Cmdr was special order...and it arrived about 2 weeks early. I am beginning to wonder if they did not rush assembly...either that or it was put together late on a Friday afternoon.

issues so far:
- Torque Converter dropped (or something happened) and had to have it and most of the transmission replaced.
- Front passanger window inadvertly reverses when in the auto-up position and then stops half way down.
- Rough Shift around 40 mph.
- Temp sensor had/still has problem.
- Memory seats do not always perform as they should. The "easy exit" does not always engage.
- Paint blemish on front passanger door - still not repaired due to scheduling conflicts between me and the dealership paint tech.
- Occassionaly will not start on the first ignition. - DS claims they cannot replicate this..therfore it still exist!
- the rear washer fluid thing (NOW).

Hell of it is I knew going into this to expect a few issues due to this being the intro year...just did not think I'd have to rack up so many miles returning it to the DS for repairs!

#21 ·

HemiCommander said:
I am not sure. On a previous repair they may have had to take the entire headliner out because..get this... the grab handle on the passanger side back seat WAS NOT ATTACHED TO THE FRAME!
I am guessing the line got pinched when they did this because I believe the line is solid (no couplings) all the way back.

#22 ·

rubicontrail.net said:
I am guessing the line got pinched when they did this because I believe the line is solid (no couplings) all the way back.

IIRC there is a split in the area of the drivers grab handle, if not then there would be after headliner removal since it cant be seperated from the headliner. I dont see why they would have to remove the headliner for the rear grab handle, it can be replaced without removing it and even the bracket it screws into does no require removing the entire headliner. You would only drop that section down a bit to get at it, removing the b and c pillar trim at most.

#24 ·
..And Today's Problem!

Here we go again! You know I am really beginning to think I should have stuck with Land Rover LR3! :confused:

We finally had a good rain storm last night here in Georgia...about 3 hours of heavy pouring rain - we certianly need it!

I go out to wash the JC this morning (took it trailing yesterday at Jacks River Falls - good and dirty). Pull the floor matts to begin the inside detail and here we go - WATER in the passanger floor :eek:

This will make the third time in three weeks that I am back at the dealership! Just last week they had their supposed "wind and water leak" expert fix a wind noise coming from the sunroof... he fixed that.. and fu'd up the door seal????

I love the way the JC drives...but sure do miss the reliability of my old RR! :(

#26 ·
Re: ..And Today's Problem!

Sounds like DCX has some major issues. I just had the XK in last week to deal with the wind noise from the sun roof and for them to AGAIN take a look at the ambient temp sensor...which was not registering correctly..and the passanger window auto-up reversal problem... which makes the thrid time I have asked them to fix - AND it is still reversing! :mad: - which by the way, it was in two weeks ago for the same window issue.

As for the driver grab handle... does it only happen when you run the rear window washer?? - Had this happen to me... evidently the hose that feeds the rear washer has a joint somehere in the driver side piller... and it became disconnected.

This one was ordered and not off lot... I'd swear either DCX rushed the job to get it to me 2 weeks early -OR - it was built on a Friday with the use of spare parts! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.