Commander Nav Screen Problems [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Commander Nav Screen Problems

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
We purchased our XK used about 3-4 months ago. It is fully loaded with Nav and rear entertainment. Everything worked fine for the first few months. But a new development, the Nav screen seems to be toast. (See pic)...

:sick:

I am a network admin, so I know that this screen, like a laptop screen, is likely dead. Has anyone else experienced this?? I have done a TON of searching and have come up blank.

Some of the things I've tried...

1. Disconnect battery and reconnect after about 10 minutes. (Should be noted that it doesn't seem like an electrical issue, because the audio and sirius still work)
2. Upon identifying that there was not much that I could do, I contacted Jeep. Despite the fact that we are the second owners and it is out of warranty, they are saying that there is nothing they can do.
3. I contacted Alpine in California and was told that all warranty issues have to be taken care of with the Manufacturer. They then gave me the number to there service center in New York (United Radio).
4. Called United Radio and they said that I could send the unit to them and they would evaluate it and give an estimate for free. It would likely cost about $475 to fix.
5. Called Jeep again, irate at the fact that even though it is out of warranty, it is bogus that something like this goes out after only 3 years. They said that I could take it to an authorized dealer, and they would give me an estimate, but likely would still not be able to help me out. I told him that I already know what the dealer is going to tell me. "The whole nav unit has to be replaced." For $2500, that is so far out of the question it isn't funny. I asked that if I sent the unit to United Radio and got the free estimate if that would work and was told that it had to be taken to an authorized dealer.

That is where I left it last, but I really can't believe that I am the only one to ever see this. Any help or insight is much appreciated.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591&d=1251471483

jeep5253
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Just exactly what does the screen do ? Does it light up at all ? Can you see anything ? Have you tried all the different modes to see if any of them will show up on the screen ?

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Just exactly what does the screen do ? Does it light up at all ? Can you see anything ? Have you tried all the different modes to see if any of them will show up on the screen ?

When it is turned on, it goes straight to that "messed up" screen. I don't know how else to explain it. I've tested it. All modes show the same thing. It happens at boot, even with the unit turned off and just the time display.

jeep5253
08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
By any chance did you do an update of your NAV disc right before this started happening ?

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
By any chance did you do an update of your NAV disc right before this started happening ?

No, but I did take it out to see what version it was. Could that have caused it?

a49erFan
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
No, but I did take it out to see what version it was. Could that have caused it?

It could have, there have been members who tried the wrong version or putting in an older version and had similar results.

Not sure what the fix is but take the disc out and reinsert it, but you have to wait until it is done doing it's thing before you start pushing buttons.

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
It could have, there have been members who tried the wrong version or putting in an older version and had similar results.

Not sure what the fix is but take the disc out and reinsert it, but you have to wait until it is done doing it's thing before you start pushing buttons.

Even though I put it right back in? (Didn't put a different one in at all.)

Are there threads here that deal with that issue? (My searches are coming up with nil)

I will try that fix...eject it and put it back in. How long after i eject it should I wait? Also, do I eject it with the radio portion on or off (display the time only).

Should mention that this happens regardless of whether the head unit is on or off. The screen looks the same (different colors) even if the unit is in the off mode and displaying the time.

jeep5253
08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
After you re-inserted the disc did you turn the ignition key while the disc was loading ?

Pop off the cover on the bottom of the unit (underneath the screen; has "NAVIGATION DISC" on it) by pressing the tab on the left of the cover with a sharp non-metallic tool. Gently pull to remove the cover. To eject the DVD, use a sharp non-metallic tool to press the EJECT button to the right of the DVD slot. Carefully remove the disc. To insert the DVD, place the disc in the slot until the unit accepts the disc. Be sure to replace the cover after inserting the new disc.

Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

ONCE THE UPDATE PROCESS BEGINS, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IGNITION KEY UNTIL THE PROCESS COMPLETES! PLEASE NOTE, TURNING THE KEY FROM ACCESSORY MODE TO START MODE INTERRUPTS THE POWER TO THE NAVIGATION UNIT. SO DON'T DECIDE YOU WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE YOU'RE IN THE UPDATE PROCESS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REPLACE YOUR NAV.
If the Nav unit loses power partway through the software update you could permanently disable the unit. It will need to be returned to the factory to be reprogrammed. There is no way we are aware of to force the unit to load from the DVD after a botched load attempt. So just don't mess with the key while it's doing its thing.

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
After you re-inserted the disc did you turn the ignition key while the disc was loading ?

Pop off the cover on the bottom of the unit (underneath the screen; has "NAVIGATION DISC" on it) by pressing the tab on the left of the cover with a sharp non-metallic tool. Gently pull to remove the cover. To eject the DVD, use a sharp non-metallic tool to press the EJECT button to the right of the DVD slot. Carefully remove the disc. To insert the DVD, place the disc in the slot until the unit accepts the disc. Be sure to replace the cover after inserting the new disc.

Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

ONCE THE UPDATE PROCESS BEGINS, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IGNITION KEY UNTIL THE PROCESS COMPLETES! PLEASE NOTE, TURNING THE KEY FROM ACCESSORY MODE TO START MODE INTERRUPTS THE POWER TO THE NAVIGATION UNIT. SO DON'T DECIDE YOU WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE YOU'RE IN THE UPDATE PROCESS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REPLACE YOUR NAV.
If the Nav unit loses power partway through the software update you could permanently disable the unit. It will need to be returned to the factory to be reprogrammed. There is no way we are aware of to force the unit to load from the DVD after a botched load attempt. So just don't mess with the key while it's doing its thing.

It's possible. Crap...How could that damage anything but the nav portion of the unit? (Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to figure out why that would affect the display to where even the time display when the unit is off is messed up.)

a49erFan
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Try it again with Jeep5253's posted instructions and let us know if that fixed it.

Bad_Andy
08-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Try it again with Jeep5253's posted instructions and let us know if that fixed it.

I'll give it a try tonight. Since I won't be able to see the "Update Complete" screen, how long should that process take?

Thanks a ton for your help!

jeep5253
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll give it a try tonight. Since I won't be able to see the "Update Complete" screen, how long should that process take?

Thanks a ton for your help!
I would imagine that if it works you will see something on the screen when it is finished. Normally it should take about five minutes + or - but give it ten or fifteen.

Bad_Andy
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Ok...when I tried it last night, it didn't work. We hopped in the XK this morning to run some errands and it seemed to work fine.

When we got back in the Jeep after going in to the store, it was back to its old self. I am really at a loss of why it seems to be intermittent...

Anyway, after I did the disc thing last night, I took a video of what it looks like so you can get a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNt0ApIQuE

TheoNTheo
08-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Since it is an intermittent problem, check the plugs in the back of the unit. You will need to take the bezel off (allen screws), the bezel also has some snap clips, gently pry the bezel once all the screws are out. There are four screws that mount the radio to the dash. There are a few plugs in the back, one is a 3 wire plug for the screen. It's worth a try, before shipping it out or taking it to the dealer.

Bad_Andy
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Since it is an intermittent problem, check the plugs in the back of the unit. You will need to take the bezel off (allen screws), the bezel also has some snap clips, gently pry the bezel once all the screws are out. There are four screws that mount the radio to the dash. There are a few plugs in the back, one is a 3 wire plug for the screen. It's worth a try, before shipping it out or taking it to the dealer.

No dice. Spent some time with the dash off and tracing wires and everything looks snug and tight. I even jiggled the cables with the unit out of the dash and it didn't effect the screen at all.

rwmorrisonjr
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Might be a connector on the circuit board or the board itself that controls the display. You might have to disassemble the radio itself or have it swapped out to fix the problem.

Bad_Andy
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Might be a connector on the circuit board or the board itself that controls the display. You might have to disassemble the radio itself or have it swapped out to fix the problem.

Yea. I am in communication with a company in FL that may be able to hook me up with a screen or circuit board. Sounds like they are even going to be less expensive, even if I send it to them versus even putting in a new stereo.

Thanks again, everybody! I really felt like I was shooting in the dark with this.

Does anybody know of any good writeups on how to disassemble the stereo. I am confident in my capability (I take laptops apart on a daily basis), but I don't feel like screwing up a $2,000 head unit.

jeep5253
08-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Does anybody know of any good writeups on how to disassemble the stereo. I am confident in my capability (I take laptops apart on a daily basis), but I don't feel like screwing up a $2,000 head unit.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7259&highlight=backlight&page=2 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7259&highlight=backlight&page=2)

TheoNTheo
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Good luck with the the troubleshooting. In a pinch, if you need to replace the unit, you can google search "chrysler navigation" and there are a lot of hits on ebay and various sites that sell the units. They are a lot cheaper than the dealer, however, you need to be aware of the individual sellers, as well as their return policy in case it doesn't work.

Bad_Andy
01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Back from the dead...

I am still having this issue. A recent Google search pulled up more results of people that are having the same issue. Anybody here???

Bad_Andy
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Update:

I got brave and disassembled the Nav unit. I got the screen out and off the logic board, but I am having trouble finding places to buy the screen. eBay and google are coming up short. The part number of the screen is a Sharp LQ058T5GG06

Also, would there be any chance that I would have to replace the circuit board as well?

Falconeer
03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
i just did a google search, and found numerous sites that sell it.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Sharp+LQ058T5GG06&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
hope this helps you.

Bad_Andy
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I did that, too. Most of those sites seem like they have a minimum order. I did contact one of them, so I will see what they say.

robk627
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Hey Turns out I'm in the same boat as you. I found a company on ebay that will fix it for like $350... But I was hoping if you had tried to replace the LCD yourself to see if that is the solution. I am kinda leaning toward it is. I found a site that sells for $150. But am still waiting whether to buy. Also put in a few inquiries to some China Suppliers. What have you come up with.

Driving a 05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Hemi.

pnlbmw
09-09-2010, 12:29 AM
i just got the same screen you are seeing on your unit. wth....did not expect this from a $25oo head unit myself, would have thought the unit would last more than 3-4 years. if you found someone that fixed yours, let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Amorphis
09-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi guys.. did anyone found the solution for the messed screen problem? I was at dealer today and wanted to buy commander overland 2007 but NAV screen is same as what you have. Not sure that I want to buy a truck if cannot fix it myself..

99FormulaM6
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
If you saw the vehicle at the dealer, tell them you want $$ off or they need to fix it. I wouldnt buy it unless they did something...

jeep5253
09-15-2010, 06:23 PM
If you saw the vehicle at the dealer, tell them you want $$ off or they need to fix it. I wouldnt buy it unless they did something...
X2... Tell them you want to buy it if they will fix the screen.

Amorphis
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
that is what I told them.. will see what they say. Just was wondering if it's still possible to fix if I get it cheaper.

Amorphis
09-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I couldn't resist!!! The truck is so awsome.. I've got the great price (at least I think I did) and bought it with the broken screen. Now I will try to fix / replace it and will post my findings.

stavman
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I couldn't resist!!! The truck is so awsome.. I've got the great price (at least I think I did) and bought it with the broken screen. Now I will try to fix / replace it and will post my findings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270504901703&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I sent my unit to this guy he was able to fix the same screen issue for $325 with return shipping.

blankline9
09-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I just purchased an 06 limited fully loaded Commander a few weeks ago. When we test drove the vehicle the dealer told us that the screen was working. However, it was showing the exact lines that were in the photos shown in this thread. We ended up buying the commander under the condition that they would pay to get the screen fixed. Since we purchased over 3 hours away from where we live, the dealership ordered a new unit and shipped it to a local installation shop. We had the new unit installed for free about a week ago and this thing is now working great. From my past experience with installing a custom carputer and touchscreen in my G35, the lines on the screen looked like a cabling issue. Some of those wires that plug the screen into the circuit board have very flimsy paper thin contacts on them. If one of those isn't seated completely or works itself loose it can ruin that contact from sliding around and will result in those weird lines on the screen. PITA to try and fix, best solution is to either let a professional fix it or order a new lcd for the circuit board.

Amorphis
10-04-2010, 07:57 PM
OK Guys! As promised, posting my findings…

I have bought a used screen from eBay for $60 with the $20 shipping. The guy I bought it from swore that the screen is in perfect working order. I have received the screen last week and on Saturday morning took off the bezel and removed the control board with LCS screen from the NAV unit.
I have brought board and screen home and removed four screws which hold the screen to the control board. Then I have noticed that one pin from the screen is welded to the board – I guess for the ground (see pictures). Using a small welding tool I have detached the screen from the board and the same way attached the new one back to the board. I took it back to the car plugged to the unit and it worked :):):)… The whole procedure took me a little bit over one hour. I have attached photos to the post.

jeep5253
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Congratulations ! Glad you got it fixed.

D-niceCommander
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Mine is doing the same. Did any of the buttons stop working on yours? Only 1-6 work on mine.

Amorphis
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
No... On mine all buttons were intact

Rand11b
10-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Amorphis, can you share where you bought the LCD screen? I'm another owner of a screwed up Nav unit.

Amorphis
10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I've got it used off eBay. One guy in Canada had broken changer, so he was selling his unit for parts.

forzarusso
11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Just bought my 06 XK 12 days ago, screen was fine until this Saturday :( In reading this thread of posts, it seems like i can replace the LCD. DOes anyone have a source for the screen?
Might it be worth upgrading to MyGIG??

jeep5253
11-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Just bought my 06 XK 12 days ago, screen was fine until this Saturday :( In reading this thread of posts, it seems like i can replace the LCD. DOes anyone have a source for the screen?
Might it be worth upgrading to MyGIG??
Try ebay.

forzarusso
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
on ebay i found a guy selling REC units for parts, ordered me one to canibalize screen/board...going through old threads i saw something about the ebrake wire and how i could ground it to unlock video screen and other stuff while in motion, is this true or should i look at the lockpick? what else does the lockpick do?

jeep5253
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
on ebay i found a guy selling REC units for parts, ordered me one to canibalize screen/board...going through old threads i saw something about the ebrake wire and how i could ground it to unlock video screen and other stuff while in motion, is this true or should i look at the lockpick? what else does the lockpick do?
http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm (http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm)

forzarusso
11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
i wanted to update: I found a REC for sale (for parts) on ebay, wasnt a direct replacement to mine but was able to remove the LCD screen and resolder it on my board and everything works great. Was actually very simple to perform...also found a company that sells the screen for $250, brand new if anyone is looking for it...

robk627
02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
So I fixed this about a year and some ago but never posted my "solution." So I did a bid war between a few Chinese Suppliers and ended up getting a new LCD for $100, paid via paypal. Was an easy swap as I recall. Here is the contact info for the supplier. Came to be just over $111 with shipping. Still works over a year later. Good Luck!

Part: LQ058T5GG06

Overseas Electronic Group Co.,Limited
Address: Rm.2737, Guoli Building, Zhenzhong Rd, Futian District, Shenzhen China. 518031
Tel: +86 755 83258502
Fax: +86 755 83258503

E-mail: overseas_andychen@163.com

Msn: overseas.andychen@gmail.com
Attn: Andy

Margaritaman
03-05-2012, 10:57 PM
So Last week my 2006 Commander NAV screen quit and displayed vertical and horizontal lines with various shades of gray for a background. 3 days ago it started working again for a few minutes, Then it went out again now it has worked for a day and a half with multiple start and restart. Anyone have any information not appearing in the thread that might suggest what the problem is?

dazed4u003
11-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I figured it out if no one has yet. Theres a ribbon cable that come off the bottom of the lcd. On mine 2 of the traces r fried and its pretty much unrepairable. Everyone needs to by just the lcd protion of the display.