Grinding noise while turning [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Grinding noise while turning

Gulf550
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Well I think I have a problem....Prior to installing my lift I noticed I had a wierd noise while turing left or right as well as going straight at slow speeds, roughly around 15 to 30 MPH. The noise is almost like a grinding sound, you can feel a vibration in the front end when it happens. Well needless to say I installed the 4 in lift. I still have the same noise but it is getting worse. I have ruled out wheel bearings already do to the fact I have had to replace both my front hubs for other problems. I have already changed the diff. fluid. Had the alignment checked. I still here the problem with ESP on or off. Anyone have any suggestions??

jeep5253
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Traction control maybe.

Gulf550
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Sorry if this sounds kinda dumb, but with the ESP full off and it still happens. Can it still be the traction control???

robby
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
It's possible,
The traction control remains active even when ESP is full off.

Rob

Gulf550
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Okay, is there anyway to fully disable it???

robby
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm unable to answer that with any confidence.
Since the traction control is triggered through the ABS I will speculate there may be a fuse specific to it.
So, if you find one so labelled, I'd say pull it and road test.

Rob

Gulf550
03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I will definitely look into it. Thanks

yanser
03-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking through your old posts it seems like you have had a host of unusual problems. This noise could be an artifact from your problems or just a bad set of control modules that you have been blessed with (gremlins). Is the grinding noise similar to the traction control engaging, very noticeable rapid clunk clunk clunk? Do you offroad or travel gravel roads often? That will usually jam crap in my brakes and make the most awful sound, doesn't even sound like brakes more like I am dragging a tin can. Bent axle?- probably would have noticed that during the lift.

yanser
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/yanser/Project1.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/yanser/Project2.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/yanser/Project3.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/yanser/Project4.jpg

Gulf550
03-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Describing the noise is kinda tough. Grinding is probably the wrong word to use, my bad. It sounds nothing like when the traction control engages. The best way I can describe it is, it's like a loud whining noise. But it’s so bad it causes a vibration that can be felt in your feet, steering wheel etc. It only happens at slow speeds. I get it in turns (only at slow speeds) but what’s weird, is it happens while going straight around 15 to 30 MPH and it goes away once the speed picks up. Say if I'm coming up to a stop sign and just slowing down with out using the brakes, once I get to around 30 the noise happens. I have checked the brakes, rotors, but nothing out of the ordinary. Before I had my lift installed I had a local mechanic look into it. Nothing conclusive but he suggested changing the front differential fluid due to the clutches internal to it. If there was no friction modifier added or it just hasn't been changed it could cause that. Well needless to say 8,000 miles later. It's still doing it, but getting worse. I will try removing the fuse and see if happens.
Thanks

robby
03-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Your more detailed description sounds more like the vibration that occurs from aggressive tire shoulder lugs, possibly made worse if tread cupping is present.
This sound/feel will be worse at low speeds and will increase/decrease while transitioning from slow turns back to straight.
If you want to experiment, put your stock wheels/tires back on for a short road test and see if the sound or feel changes.

Sort of a WAG, but an educated one,
Rob

Rob

P.S. Or maybe just rotate what you have to see if it modifies the sound.

yanser
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Your more detailed description sounds more like the vibration that occurs from aggressive tire shoulder lugs, possibly made worse if tread cupping is present.
This sound/feel will be worse at low speeds and will increase/decrease while transitioning from slow turns back to straight.

WhenI had my new rims installed they payed no attention to which tires were on front /back. They mismatched them (same style tire). The front and backs wear at a different rate on my commander. The mismatch caused all kinds of problems including a serious pull to one side. Like robby said you may have a jacked set of tires.

Gulf550
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
I have rotated them once already, with no change. I've looked at the tires and they seem to be wearing relatively even. I will try anything at this time. I didn't think it could be the tires because it happened before with stock. I will mess around with it this weekend and post back. Thanks again.

USMCMP
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I just got my humming/whining noise fixed. Only problem is I dont know exactly what was fixed because I am on deployment and my Jeep is being taken care of back home. I believe it was wheel bearings, U joints and drive shaft, rear differential, and stuff like that. I originally thought the noise was coming from the front. I was wrong. It happened anytime the accelerator was pressed at virtually any speed but when I let off the gas even the slightest bit at any speed it was gone

Gulf550
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Well the other day I finally got into rotating my tires again, put the originals on but still got a problem when turning or lets say going at slow speeds. I did notice I had a power steering leak. It is leaking at the top of my steering gear or rack and pinion, where the linkage from your steering connects to. Sorry if I used the improper terminology. I don't know if there are seals that could be replaced or what. Do you think this would be an expensive fix??

robby
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
If the input (pinion) seals are leaking, you have a steering rack in your future.
But...both hoses attach about that point as well.
I'd say clean it well with brake parts cleaner and see if you can isolate the leak point.

Rob

Gulf550
03-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Robby thats what I did. I was under there for a while. Cleaned everything pretty good. Put my hands on all the fittings/hoses making sure they were good. Started the vehicle and cycled the steering wheel but nothing would leak. Took it for a small test drive and thats when you can see it leaking from the top. It's coming out from underneath the top seal or cap where the linkages attach.
Thanks for your help.

ms5star
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Just joined this forum after noticing your post because my 2006 commander started making this noise as well!! usually when i start out in the morning or after not driving for a while...Just a little bit of what feels like grinding when i start to either back up or turn out of a parking spot but soon as i start rolling it's gone!!!

I was wondering if it was the wheel bearings?? but again, once im rolling it does'nt make the sound!!

I was wondering if it was some kind of 4x4 engagement or i dunno!! I've had the Jeep for a about a year and i never had this noise

Anyway, just wondering if you found a solution to your problem?

Gulf550
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Nope not yet, I just had my steering gear box changed because of one of the seals let loose, and man that was expensive. Still an on going problem.

Chuck1026
05-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I, too have a new, strange low frequency buzzing/moaning sound that only occurs at very low speed turning in a parking lot. I changed out the Forteras for Silent Armors a couple of weeks ago and have well under 1,000 miles on my new truck's odometer. The noise seems mor prominent with right turns then left turns... it is strange. I need to try this maneuver on a different paved lot and see if it was just a strange combination of pavement type and tire composition (?!?).

I wonder if I just am hearing tire shoulder tread block noise, but some of the other things (ESP, steering rack, etc) seem unlikely with so few miles on such a new truck.

Any new thoughts?

FLcommander
05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm getting that same noise from my 06 now. I found a spot behind the brakes on both sides where you can see in the metal where it has been grinding. Cant Quite figure out what is causing it to grid. I will put up some pictures of the spots that the grinding looks to be occurring. power steering? misalignment? traction control problem? 4x4 system problem?

mmobius2001
06-05-2010, 01:29 AM
i just bought a 06 w/ 41k miles, it feels like when you have "squeaky" brakes, its real low tone, you can barely hear it, but you know its there.

mine is more dominant doing left turns, but once you press the gas it's gone. only at idle speeds in parking lots.....

FLcommander
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
sorry about not getting around to putting up pictures. Drove My commander all the way up to whistler b.c with no problems. as soon as i got here the noise got worse. got a tow down to a dealership in Vancouver and they are saying its the front diff bushings were almost none existent and that what was causing the steering problems. I should have the jeep back in a few days. hopefully thats the fix

FLcommander
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Well apparently the bushing werent the only problem the dealership found that the front Diff was bad so they have to replace the entire thing

jeffj78
07-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Any more updates on this noise? I too just started experiencing this on our '06. It is going in for diff fluid change this morning. It only happens after sitting and for about 50ft. After that, you never feel it/hear it until the next cycle. My guess is clutches in the diffs because there are no signs of any wear/grinding/rubbing anywhere else. I just did the brakes about a 2 months ago. And tires were rebalanced/rotated last week.

Gulf550
07-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Nothing different on my end. FLcommander, thanks for the input. That might be the next thing I look into.

FLcommander
07-20-2010, 11:50 PM
When i got my jeep back they told me there was water in the Front Differential that was causing stuff to grind together bc it wasnt the proper fluid and then it turned into a lot of crap inside till it just stopped working

jeffj78
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Since I had the diff fluid changed, the problem has been going away. As of this morning there is almost no grind at all. During the diff service, I did notice that the front fluid came out like chocolate milk, while the back was just fine. This means that water was in there. How would water get in there if it's never been off-roading? I used to have this problem on my TJ (regardless of what axle seals I used) but it was a trail-only vehicle. The most the Commander has seen is a gravel road! Is there a breather tube or some opening that I'm not aware of on the XK?

ocskipper
08-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I have a very similar issue. Mine "grinds" and rubs to the point where the vehicle is actually slowed down at half-3/4 turn going at moderate speeds. 10-30 mph depending on angle of turn and load on the front end and bumps. My local shop initially diagnosed it as either bad wheel hubs or CV boots. I tok it to T&J performance in Orange. Pretty reputable Jeep shop that started the Jeep Speed class for the Cherokees. I will update what happens when I get around to getting it fixed.

blazn007
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I read through the number posts on this. My '06 Commander makes the loud crunching noise only while turning. Happens in forward or reverse; noticable only at slow speeds, then goes away after driving it for a few minutes.
Took it to a jeep dealership in Alhambra, CA three times! What a waste -- they could not duplicate the issue, yet it happens to me EVERY time.

What was the final cause?

- transfer case leakage?
- differential?
- water in the differential?

Many of you had the identical issue. What was your final cause and resolution??
THANK YOU!!

Gulf550
09-28-2010, 04:54 AM
My problem is still on going, but have you looked at your CV axles??? Alot of the times if they are going bad you will get a clicking/ racheting sound while turning. I would start by inspecting the boots and see if any are leaking grease. So far I have isolated mine to the drivers side, tires rotated even swapped out for a less agressive tires and it's still as intense. While driving straight, left or right turn around 20 MPH I will feel a bad vibration in the front floor boards below the drivers side (not as noticeable in the pasagers side floor boad), I just recently replaced an isolator busing on my front axle because it was deteriorating. If I come accross anything I will let you know.

cico7
09-28-2010, 06:27 AM
my front end is clicking too when I go around corners. this it is covered under the lifetime warranty?

SVT32V
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
My '06 Commander just started making a steering noise yesterday when turning. Similar to the prior posts, it only occurs at idle and slow speeds. There is plenty of fluid in the PS pump so that shouldn't be an issue.
I have found that the problem only occurs at low engine speeds, if you increase the rpm the problem goes away. Also the sound seems to be coming from a place higher than the steering rack or differentials. I am guessing the PS pump is bad but I have never had a PS pump go on a vehicle.
Also had the front diff fluid changed about 2K miles ago and the Jeep only has 41K on it, I doubt anything can be too worn.
One other variable is that it is only 15 degrees F today, perhaps that is an issue, but it doesn't go away with a the motor heating up.
I will keep you posted on what I find.

Gulf550
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Keep us posted, I forgot to post what actually fixed my problem. I do not know why this fixed it but I removed my mickey thompson wheels and put my 285 tires on my stock wheels with 1 1/4" wheels spacers. I no longer have that crazy wining / grinding sound coming from the front end anymore while turning. I know it sounds crazy and makes no sence, but switching wheels for me fixed my problem. I had the mickey thompson wheels checked for any problems and nothing was found.

mmorris60
05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
sounds like maybe a transfer case?
The sharper the turn the worse the grinding is, is my guess
when you turn sharp, your wheels swap power (transfer to the opoosite 2 wheels) to attempt to get better traction.
This may cause a "skip" while turning, followed by a grind when power is transferred.
I could be way off base but id like to think its a sound theory.

jeep5253
05-31-2013, 09:58 PM
sounds like maybe a transfer case?
The sharper the turn the worse the grinding is, is my guess
when you turn sharp, your wheels swap power (transfer to the opoosite 2 wheels) to attempt to get better traction.
This may cause a "skip" while turning, followed by a grind when power is transferred.
I could be way off base but id like to think its a sound theory.
Did you read this thread before you posted ? He posted his solution in the post right before yours. Oh, and the last post in this thread before yours was almost 2 1/2 years ago.

DCGVDB
10-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

Since I've installed the 2 inch lift with 265-70 tires I have a grinding noise coming from the front wheels whenever turning sharply, either at slow speed or at high speed like a highway ramp either left or right.

With the wheels turned I've noticed that there is 2 point that are coming in contact that could be the reason of the noise. Is the stopper that touches the other part by the caliper (sorry I have no idea of the names of parts).

The thing is those 2 parts should only touch when at full wheel lock like when parking and not when driving as I'm not at full lock on the ramp.

There is a few treads regarding some grinding noise that point to differential fluid, bushings, cv boots, bearings and so on but never seen someone referring to this scraping.

Here is a couple of pictures of the parts I'm referring to that seem to be touching.

Never had this before the lift.

The thing is that it doesn't make sense that those 2 parts can come in contact when only turning slightly...is more when the car leans on one side from gravity of turning.

I had the differential fluid checked yesterday and topped up and is all fine. Still Grinding noise.

Is it possible maybe that when the wheel touches the wheel well when turning and that activates the esp maybe? I have not done the pinch well mod and I can see on the liner that sometimes the tires touches on that spot.

It does the same noise even if i'm skidding the tires going straight on departure on the snow. So maybe is something with traction control? If I turn the traction control off still does it....

Any Ideas..?

Mongo
10-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

Since I've installed the 2 inch lift with 265-70 tires I have a grinding noise coming from the front wheels whenever turning sharply, either at slow speed or at high speed like a highway ramp either left or right.

With the wheels turned I've noticed that there is 2 point that are coming in contact that could be the reason of the noise. Is the stopper that touches the other part by the caliper (sorry I have no idea of the names of parts).

The thing is those 2 parts should only touch when at full wheel lock like when parking and not when driving as I'm not at full lock on the ramp.

There is a few treads regarding some grinding noise that point to differential fluid, bushings, cv boots, bearings and so on but never seen someone referring to this scraping.

Here is a couple of pictures of the parts I'm referring to that seem to be touching.

Never had this before the lift.

The thing is that it doesn't make sense that those 2 parts can come in contact when only turning slightly...is more when the car leans on one side from gravity of turning.

I had the differential fluid checked yesterday and topped up and is all fine. Still Grinding noise.

Is it possible maybe that when the wheel touches the wheel well when turning and that activates the esp maybe? I have not done the pinch well mod and I can see on the liner that sometimes the tires touches on that spot.

It does the same noise even if i'm skidding the tires going straight on departure on the snow. So maybe is something with traction control? If I turn the traction control off still does it....

Any Ideas..?
Read my post on your original thread, just to add to that explanation, read your owner's manual, even turning the traction control off will NOT turn off a lot of the features of the ESP. One of those features is the wheel slip limiting, which in snow, if one wheel looses traction and starts to spin before the other (which would mean you'd lose power to the other wheels) and the ABS pump will activate to apply the brake to the offending wheel and slow its speed to the same as the other wheels. So, turning off the Traction Control and then trying to take off in a straight line in the snow, it is NOT unusaul at all that you would hear/feel the ABS pump activating.

DCGVDB
10-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Mongo,

Thank you for your tips.

I always had the suspicion that might be the ABS system too as when I take a highway ramp and does the noise the car has "intermittent" noise and feel on the steering wheel.

It might be a combination of the ESP and ABS as you say.

How can I reprogram the ESP module for bigger tires???

I have the superchip and I did adjust to 32" tires and the speedo reads correctly but no change on the rattling-grinding noise issue.

I definitely want to try the ESP reprogramming to see if it is that!

I believe my commander is the quadra track 2 as I have the 4 "low" gears. The Quadra Drive 2 has a special badge for it I think?
I have a 2006 sport with the V8 4.7.

And I highly doubt that the mechanic has added the friction modifier, I should probably go back and ask to add some?

Thanks so much.

Mongo
10-09-2014, 10:17 PM
QTI and QTII both have 4low, only QTII has the ELSD's that have clutches in them and require the friction modifier. The QTII will have a placard on the shifer console that says QaudraTrack II, and the rear differential will have 12 bolts in the cover instead of 10 of the other drivetrains.

ESP is a software program, it activates the ABS system to control vehicle stability and the other features.

If you programmed the vehicle software with the wheel size, I think it applies to all the software, you don't have to do it in multiple places, I could be wrong, I have only used the Autoenginuity Scan Tool, it has only has one input window for the tire diameter.

Your tires are actually 31.6" in diameter and that is just calculating off the listed standard size, it might vary even more, you have to check the specs on the manufacturer's website.

jeep5253
10-09-2014, 10:44 PM
The QTII will have a placard on the shifer console that says QaudraTrack II, and the rear differential will have 12 bolts in the cover instead of 10 of the other drivetrains.
There is no badge for QTII. There IS one for QDII on the console that says QuadraDrive II.

Mongo
10-10-2014, 06:31 AM
There is no badge for QTII. There IS one for QDII on the console that says QuadraDrive II.
:mofo: lol Thanks jeep5253, I got the suffix terms reversed, its QTI, QDI & QDII. So actually, there is NO QTII either.