Transmission Problems [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Transmission Problems

Haags
01-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I picked up my brand new commander yesterday afternoon. Today the check engine light came on in a store parking lot, and the car felt very sluggish. Then I noticed that the display indicated that it was in 3rd gear. Won't go up or down, just stays in third. I was able to drive it home, but had a hard time starting up from stop signs with any incline. I called the dealer, and of course their service dep't is closed until Monday.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Anyone else have similar problems???

tealsvt1315
01-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Did you try the manual up/down shift to see if it would do anything?

Haags
01-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Tried that, and also tried engaging 4Lo, but it stays in 3rd...

vinnyl26
01-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Sounds like the tranny is in limp home mode

Haags
01-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Exactly. Dropped it at the dealer this morning - they say it's probably minor and should be fixed in a few hours. We'll see...

mikey
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
You probably engaged that 3rd manual without being aware of it. Make sure you know when the lever is next time.

Haags
01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I didn't engage anything accidentally - the check engine light doesn't come on when you do that.

So the dealer claimed that there was a loose plug in the side of the transmission housing with some pins that weren't making contact. They reconnected it, it reset the codes, and was working fine. I picked it up this afternoon and went home from work. After dinner I went out, and I'm sitting at a traffic light and the check engine light comes on again, display says "3" and I had to drive home stuck in third gear again. UUUGGHHH!!!!

I'm going back to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning to see what they say this time. All of my excitement from buying the new vehicle has been replaced with frustration. I just bought it 3 days ago, and it's been sitting in my garage or the dealer's garage most of that time.

The kicker is that the sales manager asked me today if I would still give them a perfect rating on the DC satifaction survey...

Mango~Ridge
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Tell them, if you fix the problem it won't be as bad! Did you special order your Commander, or was it off the lot? Tell them to get you another!

rubicontrail.net
01-24-2006, 07:08 AM
I agree, I would say that they should get you another one. A transmission problem in the first 24 hours is not a good thing and doesn't bode well for that particular vehicle.

Haags
01-24-2006, 07:27 AM
The dealer located the car for me down in VA, which is about 150 miles from where I live. I was asked if I wanted to order it, but because I have no patience I asked them to try and locate one for me and do a dealer-swap. They get two more tries to fix it (including today) and then I'll have to talk to them about getting a different car.

One of my concerns is that driving in 3rd gear might be really bad for the engine, especially since it is still breaking-in. Because I've been driving it home and then to the dealer with this problem, I've probably put about 50 miles on the car when it's stuck in 3rd. Does anyone know what effect this could have on the engine, if any?

Haags
01-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I just got the car back. They claim to have fixed it for real this time> They did a full diagnostic test of the electrical system and found that there was a cut wire that was contacting something (strut bar???) and causing a short.

Hopefully it's fixed for good, and I'll be able to resume enjoying my new car smell...

kidatforty
01-24-2006, 02:35 PM
good luck, I was a german auto mechanic for 15 yrs and I've always said if there is any magic in the world it happens with electricity.

Haags
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Another update in case anyone is interested...

I picked up my commander last night after the 2nd fix and drove home with no problem. This morning, I didn't even make it out of the driveway and the light comes back on and I only have 3rd gear again. I went straight to the dealer and they fixed it while I waited. They also better explained the issue for me. This is what they told me, but I'd like to get some of your opinions...

There is a wire harness that connects to it's fuses at the driver's side of the support bar above the engine. The harness goes over the bar and joins with some other wires before traveling down toward the transmission. The first time I had the problem, the harness was loose at the transmission-end. The second time, there was a cut wire right at the support bar by the fuse connection that was making contact with the bar and causing a short and blown fuse. The third time they fixed it (this morning), they said that there was a loose connection in the same harness, but this time at the fuse-end, not the transmission end. It appears that all three of these had the same cause - the harness is pulled too tight. Apparently it is the same harness (and same engine compartment set-up) as the Grand Cherokee, but in the GC the harness goes under the support. For some reason, they used the same harness in the commander but routed it over the support instead of under it. I asked if they could just re-route the harness under the support, but they said they didn't want to do that without finding out first from DC engineers if there is a reason for it being routed over the support instead of under it. They checked several other commanders, and they all have the same set-up.

So according to the dealer, this is the first time they've seen this problem, but they anticipate that they will have more like it because they think it's a design issue, not just something wrong with my commander. They said if it happens again, they'll replace the harness and see if that works. Since this is the third time they've fixed it, I wonder if they are telling me it's a commander design flaw only to disuade me from requesting another car. I'm a skeptic.... hopefully that's not the case.

kidatforty
01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
wow, You must be going out of your mind by now. I wonder if it is prone to the limited models only. Sorry for you man.

vinnyl26
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
I am a tech for a Mercedes Dealer here in California. It sounds to me like they have no clue on your vehicle. Them telling you ïf it happens again"tells me they are not sure they fixed it this time either. 3rd time same promblem....Lemon Law.

Haags
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
They've "fixed" it three times (I've only owned the thing for 5 days!), so if it stays fixed for the next 12 months then lemon law won't apply. In PA, anyway, the problem must still exist after the third attempt to fix it. If it happens again, I'll talk to the dealer about my options. The problem has surfaced every time about 20-30 miles after I leave the dealer. So tomorrow morning we'll see if it the same problem.

Here's a question... Would I talk to the dealer first about getting a different car, or should I go directly to DC customer service? Also, I'm assuming I won't need a lemon law attorney since this seems to be a pretty obvious defect and well within lemon law limits. Does anyone have experience with this???

pac
01-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Dude I hope this goes away for you. That is the most bizzare thing i've heard yet.

vinnyl26
01-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I would give the dealer a chance first. I just have afunny feeling they didnt repair it. Almost sounds like a software issue in the control unit. Please keep us updated

Jangy
01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Document all attempts to fix it. It does not matter if it is a design flaw or not as far as lemon law. DO NOT ASK FOR A NEW CAR IN PERSON!! Send a certified letter (called a demand letter) to both the dealer and DC, stating the facts and asking for them to replace the car. they will then have to address it. If not, they will not even try to start the process.
If this was a simple design issue, we would all be limping around. I've been offroad and flexed this thing as much as IFS will and had no problems. If they claim that the harness was stretched, why did they not replace it in the first place? Are they just putting it back on or are they modifying it? Not good. what if the wires were weakened by the stretching? It could cause a fire or other issues with the ECU at a later date. That is what the lemon law is for!

Haags
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, Jangy. I will certainly follow it if I come to that point.

I drove home from the dealer and into work this morning with no problems. Hopefully it stays that way.

donutz
01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I purchased a new 05 grand cherokee and on the way home from the dealer my transmition light went on. I pulled over and restarted my car on the dealers recomendation. When I put it in drive it showed the car in park. It would drive but it would not leave first gear. I had to get towed back. It took 2 days to fix they said the computer was bad. I told them I did not want the car and they gave me my money back. I am going to buy a commander today or tommorow through a different dealership.

Haags
01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Since nobody else on this forum has heard of the problem, it was probably just a quality issue with my specific car and that harness. I took a good look at it yesterday and there's no way the wires are pulled tight enough to cause the problems I had. There was plenty of slack, so I don't think it's a design issue that would impact other Commanders. I think they just did a poor job installing the harness and it took my dealer 3 tries to get it right.

It's been fixed for 2 days now with no problems. (knock on wood!) I'm really not that upset about the whole ordeal, and I LOVE this car!!!

Mango~Ridge
01-29-2006, 09:06 AM
I hope they fixed it for you. Because this JEEP (not car) is an kickin vehicle,

donutz
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
your right not car. my bad. I am happy to say I just ordered a black 65th anniversary 4x4 commander. I should have it in 6 weeks. I can't wait.

msvjw68
02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I picked up my brand new commander yesterday afternoon. Today the check engine light came on in a store parking lot, and the car felt very sluggish. Then I noticed that the display indicated that it was in 3rd gear. Won't go up or down, just stays in third. I was able to drive it home, but had a hard time starting up from stop signs with any incline. I called the dealer, and of course their service dep't is closed until Monday.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Anyone else have similar problems???

I have had the same problem. it stopped on me twice already and the dealer states that the trasmissions fluids were not topped off. Go figure!!

msvjw68
02-17-2006, 02:08 PM
WOW, now I am worried because i am haveing the same problem. I loved the commander whe i first bought it, but 2 days later having problems and haven't even made the first car payment. that really sucks.

Mango~Ridge
02-17-2006, 04:03 PM
That's interesting. I need to add a little to my tranny to bring it to the mark. It's a little past the middle between marks on the stick now. We haven't had any problems with the shifting. I just haven't stopped by the dealer to pick up the Dextron 4 (or something like that), Only the dealer has it around here. I'm bad, I read the stick wrong. Tranny fluid is fine.

Haags
02-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Ms VJ- Sorry to hear you are having the problem. It's very frustrating. My JC has been running fine since the third time they fixed it, which was about four weeks ago. If you have it in the shop again, tell them to look at the wire harness that runs to the transmission and mae sure it all connections are tight. Unless they were BS-ing me, that is what they did to fix mine.

Good luck!

plstrns
03-07-2006, 01:55 AM
I have the same problem, 986 miles in 7 days and have a limp in condition. I know alot about transmissions having owned a shop and been a tech for about 16 years. A wiring harness problem sounds possible considering I could not get a consistant pattern of failure. During my "test" drive to the dealer I tried everything to isolate a cause; decel, accel, shifter pos., throttle pos., speed etc...I don't have the tools/ tech I need anymore (Katrina) so I hope it's not a big deal.

Goldie
03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I am having the same issues. I had just got my Jeep last week & the check engine light went on & i am having problems getting in gear.
I just took it to the shop today. I will let you all know what they tell me.

Picked up the car yesterday after 3 days there, they told me all they had to do is reset the codes and everything is fine. I drove it 1 block out of the dealer and BAM the check engine light goes on & the same problem with the transmission. I drove it right back. Today they tell me a short in a cable caused the Transmission Control Module to short out. They ordered a new one, lets see if thats it. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow.

gmyron
03-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I had similar problems and after a week in the shop and fixing a "loose wire," it has gone a couple hundred miles without further issue... good luck to us all!

plstrns
03-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Got mine back in 3 days, all is well since. Invoice shows trans. solenoids replaced.

Goldie
03-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I am having the same issues. I had just got my Jeep last week & the check engine light went on & i am having problems getting in gear.

Picked up the car yesterday after 3 days there, they told me all they had to do is reset the codes and everything is fine. I drove it 1 block out of the dealer and BAM the check engine light goes on & the same problem with the transmission. I drove it right back. Today they tell me a short in a cable caused the Transmission Control Module to short out. They ordered a new one, lets see if thats it. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow.

The soap opera continues...
Jeep had replaced the part & road tested the jeep and the same problem happened.
In the shop for over a week and nobody has a clue!!
Any suggestions. Chrysler has not been cooperative. HELP!!

Here is the latest update:
Its day #11 in the shop, they "seem to have found the problem" now they say its the transmission torque converter. Of course the part is not readily available but it should be here by next week. Stay tuned.................

lucasmugrad
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Sounds like I'm having this problem. I've had my Commander about 3 weeks, 970 miles, and love it. I'm just a little upset with it right now. I got online to find a thread just to see if anybody else is having problems. This past Friday, I left the office, drove about a mile, and all of a sudden the car felt like it wasn't shifting out of 2nd gear. The engine light came on, so I took it straight to a nearby dealer (not the one I bought it from b/c I didn't want to risk driving 30 minutes to the one I bought it at-although I did call my dealer to let them know). They of course couldn't get to it until Monday. I'm still waiting to hear back.

I would like to hear from those that have gotten it fixed and how it's doing now. Also, is there anybody that couldn't get it fixed?

chipw
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
My commander is doing the same thing. The Transmission gets stuck in third gear. When they pluged my vehicle into the computer it was showing a message about, I think,a "Pressure switch" on the transmission. They said the part would be here tomorrow and it would take about an afternoon to put it on. We will see how it goes. Quite frustrating.

Goldie
04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Goldie

Jeep had replaced the part & road tested the jeep and the same problem happened.

Its day #11 in the shop, they "seem to have found the problem" now they say its the transmission torque converter. Of course the part is not readily available but it should be here by next week. Stay tuned.................

It is now day #29 at the dealers shop: here is the last 2 weeks in a nutshell. They had replaced the torque converter and guess what..not fixed. They inspected the transmission again and said the clutches need replacing. They replaced the clutches & supposedly road tested the jeep and gave it the OK, I went to pick it up and 1 mile from the shop the the same problem happened again. Now they decided they have to replace the entire transmission!! They say it should be done "soon". :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Will keep you all posted.

Has anybody gone through the lemon law process that can let me know what to expect?

jeep cmder
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I think you normally only get 2 or 3 days to exercise the "Lemon Law" option. This is a VERY disappointing thread to read. My Commander now has 1200 miles without any problem period. Transmission issues concern me a lot since they put you out of business totally. So, I'm hoping this is not happening very often.

Before I bought my rig, all I read about on the forums was about leak problems and wind noise. So far, my rig has been bone dry and no major wind noise that I can hear.

chipw
04-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Chrysler has issued a technical bulletin that my dealer was aware of concerning this issue. I'm not a mechanic but it has something to do with a "pressure Switch" in or on the transmission.

Goldie, not sure if you have a more severe problem than the one I have but the technician said mine would be fixed in a few hours. Is it possible that your dealer isn’t aware of the technical bulletin from Chrysler and is just kind of shooting in the dark to try and fix the problem?

I will get the details pertaining to what my dealer did to my commander and will post them this afternoon when I pick up the vehicle.

Chip

Goldie
04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Chip,
I called my service advisor & he told me they had already checked the "transmission oil pressure valve body" blah blah blah..and it was fine (like they know whats going on). I am just very frustrated & do not know what to believe anymore.
Keep us posted on your issue, I will do the same.

Goldie

Haags
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I would like to hear from those that have gotten it fixed and how it's doing now. Also, is there anybody that couldn't get it fixed?

I started this thread back in January. Since the third time they fixed mine, the problem has not returned. (It had about 100 miles on it when the problem first happened, and I just passed 3,000.) I had forgotten about the whole ordeal until recently...

I am not sure if this is related to the same issue, but for the last few weeks I've been noticing more and more frequently a very low but noticable 'klunk' when in drive but at or approaching a total stop. It is especially noticable if I am in traffic with a lot of stop-and-go at low speeds, and it usually happens right after I come to a complete stop (although sometimes just before). It is not really audible but I can definitely feel it, and it is coming from under the center console in the area of the transmission. I plan on calling the dealer this week to have it checked out, although given my previous experience I have no confidence that they will have an answer to the problem.

Anyone else notice a similar problem or have any ideas about what this might be?

lucasmugrad
04-18-2006, 01:49 PM
The service department just called. It appears that the dealership where I bought my Commander from, overlooked adding transmission fluid when they went through their new car prep. Although I'm really pissed at that dealership, I'm glad to hear that's all it is. I will call and complain to the dealership later. Now please everybody cross your fingers, and hope that I don't pick it up to find that it happens again like so many of you. I will keep you updated after I pick it up and drive it for a little while. Hopefully everybody has good luck with getting their Commanders up and running properly.

By The Way, if anybody is in the southeast Michigan area, and are buying or know of somebody buying a Jeep or Chrysler, please steer clear of Clarkston Chrysler Jeep in Clarkston, Michigan.

chipw
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I picked my Commander up at lunch and didn’t even make it back to work before the check engine light was back on and I'm stuck in 3rd gear again. I drove straight back to the dealer. They messed around with it for a while and said they had found another "technical Bulletin" and were ordering the parts to fix it. Parts will be here Thursday and they got me a rental car. I am not real happy right now.

For what its worth the first time I was in with this problem they said the problem was a "pressure switch". The Invoice shows them changing out the
1. Filter TR
2. Filter PKG
3. Fluid TRA
4. Sealer RT

Again, I'm no mechanic but doesn’t look like they addressed the problem that they had first diagnosed. For what its worth, I mentioned this website and the posts concerning this problem but they didn’t really want to hear it.

Here is a run down of the symptoms of what I am experiencing. JC will be driving fine when I feel a pretty heavy "Bump". Display immediately shows "3" instead of "D". and the check engine light comes on. After you turn the ignition off and back on it will be fine for a while but then you get the Bump and its back in 3rd gear.

Haags
04-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Chip, sorry to hear that your problem wasn't fixed. It seems to be pretty common that nobody at the dealers knows how to fix it, and everyone who has this problem is given a different explanation. Keep us posted. Also, if you get any more info about the technical bulletin or the parts that they are replacing, please pass on the info...

chipw
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I will post what the dealer tells me on Thursday. I mentioned to them the wiring harness and the Solenoid that I had read about in this thread and got an earful about how they cant do anything based on something I read on an internet message board...they had to rely on Chrysler. I'm going to ask to see the technical bulletin’s they keep mentioning next time I go.

lucasmugrad
04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Okay, Okay. I spoke too soon. I pulled out of the dealer and didn't make it a quarter mile before I noticed the same problem. Not shifting beyond 3rd gear. Now, the check engine light is not on anymore, but I'm sure that if I would have driven it a little longer, it would have. I returned immediately to the dealership and gave it back to them. I should have known that it couldn't have been as easy as adding transmission fluid. They swear that they drove it around and nothing happened. They say that they will get to it first thing in the morning.

I'm thinking about calling in a favor from a lawyer friend to just see what my rights are as a consumer. If I do this, then I'll let you know what they say even though it may vary from state to state.

chipw
04-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Please keep us informed regarding your lawyer friend and the lemon law. If mine isnt fixed after three attempts I'm going to try and get a new vehicle. Problem is I love my commander and already had the Rocky Road 2 1/4 lift, new wheels and tires and a big luggage rack on top. I had 2800 miles on my vehicle before I first experienced this problem. I'm on the road alot. Many times pulling a trailer and I have to have a reliable vehicle.

msvjw68
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
i got mine fixed and it's been running really nicely. i hope it stays that way. now i am haveing a hard time finding rims to fit...........what next, huh? LOL!!!!!! have a good day.

msvjw68
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
WOW!!!! i am sorry to hear that. I hope you get it taken care of and no the dealships sucks after you get the car all the attention they gave you previous to buting the JC goes straight out the window!!!!!!!!!!! keep us posted.

lucasmugrad
04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I picked up my JC Wednesday night after they replaced the valve body. They told me that the lack of transmission fluid initially had caused the valve body to go out. I have since driven 400-500 miles without any problems. Hopefully it stays that way. I did talk with my lawyer as well. He told me that as of right now, I don't have a case. The Michigan Lemon Laws state that the vehicle has to be in for service 4 times for the same problem, or in for more than 30 days. The first time in for service has to be within one year of purchase. The next three have to be within two years of the first time is was taken in. Before you take it in for the fourth time, you must send a "last chance" letter by certified mail. This letter basically tells the dealer that this is their last chance to fix your vehicle. They then have 5 days to fix the problem. From there you would go through arbitration, mediation, court or however it works out. Good luck to everybody.

Goldie
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM

It is now day #29 at the dealers shop: here is the last 2 weeks in a nutshell. They had replaced the torque converter and guess what..not fixed. They inspected the transmission again and said the clutches need replacing. They replaced the clutches & supposedly road tested the jeep and gave it the OK, I went to pick it up and 1 mile from the shop the the same problem happened again. Now they decided they have to replace the entire transmission!! They say it should be done "soon". :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Has anybody gone through the lemon law process that can let me know what to expect?

Day #33 - Transmission replaced!! I picked up the Jeep, drove it home and guess what - IT WORKS!! Finally.
Lets hope it lasts.

chipw
04-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear yours is fixed Goldie.
I just spoke with my dealer. They are replacing the clutch and converter. Hopefully this will take care of my problem. Strange that there have been so many transmission problems. This is the same transmission that has been around in the Grand Cherokee's for a while isnt it?

Chip

chipw
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Got my Commander back from the dealer on Saturday. I have driven 186 miles since then and, so far, all is well. I have my fingers crossed it will stay that way. They replaced the pump, valve body, clutch package and the cooler.

lucasmugrad
05-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Glad to hear it Chip. Hope everything works out for you. I have driven 1,000 miles since I've picked mine up (part of those miles were while pulling a trailer), and I haven't had any problems.

HemiCommander
06-25-2006, 09:36 PM
I can relate to Haags' problem. I special ordered my Commander 5.7L 4x4 Limited in Jan. and took delivery in March. Two weeks later with about 850 miles the vehicle made a jolt as I was entering the freeway (In Atlanta non the less). I then noticed it was in 3rd gear and the check engine light was on. I tried to up-shift manually with no luck. -- Imagine the frustration of having to drive the 70 miles from Atlanta to Rome running at 40 mph!!

Took the vehicle to the dealership to find out that the torque converter had "dropped" out of position. They had to replace the converter and several other parts. I still do not feel it is right as I experiance a thud in shifting at around 40 MPH. Last time I took it in the dealership said the upgraded the trany software... guess what... still have the same problem!

Anyone else having trany issues??????

HemiCommander
06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyone experiancing a hard shift around 40 MPH?

I am scheduled to take my Commander in for service on 13-July and hope that I can have something to tell the service manager from others similar experiances.

Thanks
Chad

kicker308
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Dont drive your commander stuck in third unless you plan on trading it in 1yr from now. You are destroying your tranny. You can also void your warranty by knowingly driving your vehicle with such a problem. Take your vehicle to a tranny shop for a free diagnosis they can tell you and won't sugar coat your problem.

drop_d
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I totally had something similar to that happen. I don't have the Limited, but it's the '06 with the U package and a Quadra Drive II system. The first week I drove it, we had the TRANS OVER TEMP signal come up on the Command Center. When this happened it dropped the tranny into Limp mode until I was able to shut 'er down. I let it go and thought it was just a stop and go traffic thing, but then it happened again on another day while the Jeep idled for only 10 min. So I took it into the dealer. They did their diagnostic check and saw the signal but there was no proof that the transmission was really over temp, in fact, no sign at all. So they called DC to find out if they had any history or recalls. Nothing! The Jeep mechanic reset it and said it may be a faulty sensor, he said to see if it comes on again. Low and behold, ding!! This time I shifted around with my tiptronic instead of pulling over and turning the vehicle off and it made the warning go away. It did this a few more times before I was able to get it into the shop again, but I let them know what I did and the mechanic ordered the new sensor and replaced it. 100-150 miles driven since and haven't seen it! Weird :confused:

joeleea
07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I started this thread back in January. Since the third time they fixed mine, the problem has not returned. (It had about 100 miles on it when the problem first happened, and I just passed 3,000.) I had forgotten about the whole ordeal until recently...

I am not sure if this is related to the same issue, but for the last few weeks I've been noticing more and more frequently a very low but noticable 'klunk' when in drive but at or approaching a total stop. It is especially noticable if I am in traffic with a lot of stop-and-go at low speeds, and it usually happens right after I come to a complete stop (although sometimes just before). It is not really audible but I can definitely feel it, and it is coming from under the center console in the area of the transmission. I plan on calling the dealer this week to have it checked out, although given my previous experience I have no confidence that they will have an answer to the problem.

Anyone else notice a similar problem or have any ideas about what this might be?
Yes my trans. is also doing that when coming to a stop. I found 4 TSBs relating to problems I have been having with my Jeep, going tothe dealership on Tuesday

HemiCommander
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes my trans. is also doing that when coming to a stop. I found 4 TSBs relating to problems I have been having with my Jeep, going tothe dealership on Tuesday

My XK is doing the same thing. According to the service dept they have performed the TSB related to a hard shift I was - and still am :mad: - experiancing. The XK goes back in next week to have the newest issue - water leak on passanger side floor :eek: corrected. I will again be mentioning the hard shift and the "thud" down shift just before or right at a complete stop.

I have also contacted DCX and gotten them involved - although it is hard to tell as the customer service agent was not at all friendly or forthcoming with suggestions

Jgar06Black
07-31-2006, 03:20 PM
I have the same problem for a month now, and since then I driven over 1000 miles in 3rd. gear at speeds up to 80 miles an hour. I took the vehicle to the dealer twice and all they did was to reset the system and after an hour it did it again. Is it possible to get another vehicle? How long do you have to deal with this problem?::(

HemiCommander
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I have the same problem for a month now, and since then I driven over 1000 miles in 3rd. gear at speeds up to 80 miles an hour. I took the vehicle to the dealer twice and all they did was to reset the system and after an hour it did it again. Is it possible to get another vehicle? How long do you have to deal with this problem?::(
I have no idea how long... but intend to find out when I take the XK in. I was hoping to get it in there this week...but have a few pressing meetings at the office and it will have to wait until next week! I am re-scheduling my appt and when I have a date I will also be sending an e-mail to the president of the dealership along with scans of every repair invoice I have and the laundry list of new issues.

I'll update when I have more details. :rolleyes:

joker126
07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Well I hit 4000 miles on my JC and all of a sudden I am experiencing something similar to what has been posted. Only when attempting autostick, it gets stuck on 3rd and stays there. To get back to automatic I then have to go to Neutral, then proceed to Drive. At least for now, it is ok when I stay on automatic. Will of course visit my dealership later on this week. Does anyone know which fix this may pertain to, and how long the dealership will need it for repair? Any suggestions would be appreciated, because my dealership always seems to take 2 visits to fix one problem.

I really want to enjoy this SUV as I did the first day I drove it. However, these all too frequent trips to dealership is starting to wear on me. I just hope the day will come that all the new intro vehical issues will be behind me.
Besides, since my JC was manufactured in May, one would think they would have resolved issues from its first introduction. Issues such as transmission, and the installation of glass. Oh well...I'll try to stay positive.

HemiCommander
07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
I have not heard of the sticking into 3rd when using the auto-stick. Nor am I aware of a TSB that addresses that issue specificly. Seems that DCX missed something big when they mated the tranny and various engines with the XK. :confused:

As for as multiple trips... if you have the same issues as many of us do...you will get to know the service department very well! :(

Tlambert95
08-01-2006, 07:42 AM
I am curious about this transmission problem. I have had no issues so far with mine but my question is has anyone had problems with the transmission that does not have have a hemi. I have the 4.7 and have no problems. Could it be to much engine for the transmission? Or maybe a combination of the 4wd and the hemi to much for the transmission? Just something I have been wondering. If anyone has had transmission problems with the 4.7 or 6 cyl. let me know if nothing else to settle my curiousity. Thanks.

HemiCommander
08-01-2006, 07:53 AM
I am curious about this transmission problem. I have had no issues so far with mine but my question is has anyone had problems with the transmission that does not have have a hemi. I have the 4.7 and have no problems. Could it be to much engine for the transmission? Or maybe a combination of the 4wd and the hemi to much for the transmission? Just something I have been wondering. If anyone has had transmission problems with the 4.7 or 6 cyl. let me know if nothing else to settle my curiousity. Thanks.

Tlambert95 - good point. I have wondered the same thing. Does anyone know if this is the first time this transmission is being mated to a HEMI? :confused: ==> Anyone have opinon or fact as to this issue?

Oddly enough none of these problems came up in the various report mag test drives... .wonder if DCX made sure the XK that the reporters drove were in perfect running order!!!

Jangy
08-19-2006, 01:16 PM
NICE!! Finally some other people who are having the same issue as me!! The dealer can deny all they want. It is odd that mine also happens in a parking lot and not under any type of load. I knew this was a legitimate problem and I'm sick and tired of hearing we can't duplicate or that there are no codes.

XKPearl
08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
I have the 4.7L and have had no trans issues. I had thought there were some of these transmissions that were assembled w/ defective parts (that have since been identified) that cause various issues as a result of inadequate fluid pressure. If these parts were replaced in a new transmission then everything would work but if the transmission was run w/ this inadequate pressure then the transmission could be damaged. I had thought there was a lengthy TSB out on this for the dealer to take steps to determine if the trans was damaged and to completely replace it if the repair costs exceed 70% of replacement cost. Maybe I'm mistaken on this?

Anyway, this is the same transmission that AEV uses on their heavily modified Hemi conversions to include their tricked out XK. They think it's an excellent transmission.

As far as extra strain on the transmission w/ the Hemi goes:

I would think that a combination of the extra Hemi torque and running the new Eaton E-Locker in the locked position would put a ton more stress on the transmission and half shafts (especially when going over rocks) vs the exact same scenario using a 4.7L and an open diff. The driver has input on locking the Eaton system but by design it will go from open to limited slip to full lock as a result of applied torque from the driveshafts. If you lift it up and add bigger tires this increases that stress even more. This is purely anecdotal on my part but sounds reasonable to me.

XKPearl

XKPearl
08-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Adding to the above post:

I've been emailing w/ the engineer at Aussie Locker reference them possibly making a lunchbox locker to drop into the XK Quadra-TracII rear axle. He agreed w/ me reference not recommending a front locker on the XK front diff. I know the new AAM axle and Eaton electric/magnetic system is bombproof but that sure is a bunch of torque from the Hemi and weight from the XK for the tranny and shafts to bear when locked on a hard surface.

I know the diff can be locked via driver's input, but can you prevent the front from locking from driveshaft torque input??

XKPearl

wkn4lo
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I have a new 05' Grand Cherokee 4.7L Rocky Mountain Edition. I bought it July 8th with 65 miles on it. They still had 4 2005 WKs on the lot! I have had the same issues that you guys have had in this post. (3rd gear limp mode etc...) 1st time I took it in one week after I bought it, they could not duplicate problem. 2nd time was about 13 days ago. They kept it for 8 days and gave me loaners. I think they have fixed it. I have had it back since Wed. I have typed what was on the work order to try and help you guys. The typos are not me! I am just giving what they gave me! Hope it helps somebody. Let me know.
:)

21950154 Valve Body Valve body – 45RFE- Replace

1 Z5166834AA BODY-TRANSFER PLATE AND V
1 Z56044515AE MODULE-POWERTRAIN CONTROL
1 ZWRP PARTS HOLD
2 Z5013458AA FLUID TRANSMISSION

1320 P0841, L/R PRESSURE SYSTEM RATIONALITY, (STORED) CHECK CODES, FOUND P0841 STORED, CONSALTED STAR TALKED TO SCOTT THAT HAD NO COMMON REPAIR INFO, COULD POSSIBLY BE CONTROLLER, VALVE BODY OR CONNECTOR PINS, REPLACED VALVE BODY, ALSO REPLACED CONTROLLER AND UPDATED SOFTWARE, REMOVED CONNECTOR C4 AND TIGHTEN PIN 29, AND INPECT AND TIGHTEN PIN 14 AT TRANSMISSION SOLENOID CONNECT, RECHECKED SENSOR FOR PROPER OPERATION, ROAD TEST AND RESET TRANS ADDAPTIVES

Jangy
08-23-2006, 12:29 AM
No help as of yet. Those that would like some resolution and are willing to unite in a professional and directed manner, please pm or email me with your contact info.

wkn4lo
08-23-2006, 07:35 AM
My WK is still doing fine so far. Whatever they did seems to have fixed it. Keep me informed guys. I like coming over the Commander forum since our vehicles are so similar. Have you guys gone to the WK portion of jeepsunlimited.com There are some post about this very same issue!

Goldie
09-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Goldie

It is now day #29 at the dealers shop: here is the last 2 weeks in a nutshell. They had replaced the torque converter and guess what..not fixed. They inspected the transmission again and said the clutches need replacing. They replaced the clutches & supposedly road tested the jeep and gave it the OK, I went to pick it up and 1 mile from the shop the the same problem happened again. Now they decided they have to replace the entire transmission!! They say it should be done "soon".

Has anybody gone through the lemon law process that can let me know what to expect
Day #33 - Transmission replaced!! I picked up the Jeep, drove it home and guess what - IT WORKS!! Finally.
Lets hope it lasts.

After all I went through I contacted a lawyer & he proceeded with a "lemon law" suit. I won settlement from Chrysler. If anyone needs a good lemon law attorney just email me.
My next problem is that last week a tree fell on the Jeep right through the sunroof.
Nothing but bad luck with this purchase.:eek:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106&stc=1&d=1158009680

Creek
09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Goldie that sucks, I hope it was the one they are buying back and not your new one.

Bulldog9
09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
After reading several threads on Transmission problems, and several seemed to indicate that fluid level was an issue, I decided to check mine, and found that when HOT, the fluid was at the cold fill mark. I am now at 1300 miles, no idea what it was when I drove off the lot, but there are no leaks, so I think this is what it has been.

I bought a quart of the ATF+4 at the dealer, and added 3/4 of it to bring it up to the hot mark. SOme of what I have seen indicates that this transmission is very fluid sensitive. This may be preventive medicine.....

wadim
02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Hello Wondering if anyone can help me out. Got stuck in a snow bank today. Tried to get out by going back and forth, shifting from D to R and so on. took about 5 minutes to get out. But during all this the Transmition light came on? anyone know why? it seems like it was driving well. so im not sure what to do, maybe when it heats up it causes the light to go on. Im going to wait for a couple hours and then try to run it again to see if the light came off.

HemiCommander
02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Hello Wondering if anyone can help me out. Got stuck in a snow bank today. Tried to get out by going back and forth, shifting from D to R and so on. took about 5 minutes to get out. But during all this the Transmition light came on? anyone know why? it seems like it was driving well. so im not sure what to do, maybe when it heats up it causes the light to go on. Im going to wait for a couple hours and then try to run it again to see if the light came off.
I take it you do not have 4x4? You probably started to overheat the tranny by switching from D to R and back along with spinning the tires.

Jeepita
11-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Dont drive your commander stuck in third unless you plan on trading it in 1yr from now. You are destroying your tranny. You can also void your warranty by knowingly driving your vehicle with such a problem. Take your vehicle to a tranny shop for a free diagnosis they can tell you and won't sugar coat your problem.

Can you give a technical reason as to why?

rubicontrail.net
11-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I take it you do not have 4x4? You probably started to overheat the tranny by switching from D to R and back along with spinning the tires.

x2. I believe this is even outlined in the owners manual in the section about freeing a stuck vehicle.

statler392
11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok, I've searched and found a lot of similar but no dead on conclusions..I've got an '07 3.7L with Quadratrac I. Today after accelerating from a stop the Commander got sluggish, I looked down and was sitting at about 2300 rpms, would not accelerate passed 30 mph and the electronic shift would not work. After calling my 'local' dealership (800 miles away) he told me I was in limp mode, which is what I figured, but could not tell me why. I took her to the local shop and they hooked it up and got code P0748. After a quick Googling I haven't found anything definitive.
Anybody else?

rubicontrail.net
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok, I've searched and found a lot of similar but no dead on conclusions..I've got an '07 3.7L with Quadratrac I. Today after accelerating from a stop the Commander got sluggish, I looked down and was sitting at about 2300 rpms, would not accelerate passed 30 mph and the electronic shift would not work. After calling my 'local' dealership (800 miles away) he told me I was in limp mode, which is what I figured, but could not tell me why. I took her to the local shop and they hooked it up and got code P0748. After a quick Googling I haven't found anything definitive.
Anybody else?

P0748: Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical

You could probably either take it to the dealer and have them replace the transmission's pressure control solenoid under warranty or pay the local repair shop to replace it.

statler392
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks RT. I appreciate the quick response, it'll hopefully reduce the amount of time i'm driving a loaner too, I hate driving other peoples cars and loaners.

rhonm
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
have 06 4.7l. 31k on it stuck in 3rd when new dealer replaced some filter went away. now it back and they say it's maintenance to adjust 2 bands at 170$

blinkgold311
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Get used to the frustration! I love my commander, but it's at the shop half the time i've owned it. It's currently their now as a matter of fact, has been for a month and will be for another month, they are waiting on a part that has to be built! Kiddin me! Pretty upset with mopar "quality".

PolarBZ
02-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, so, here's MY transmission story! It just happened today. I was pulling out of my driveway and noticed that the tranny took an extra second or two and then clunked into place. Very soon after (30 feet) the engine light came on and transmission showed 3rd and wouldnt go anywhere else. I performed the usual "problem" fixes (flip through the shift points, play with the autostick, turn off and on) and nothing. I got back into my driveway (in 3rd) and checked all the fluids (everything looks fine). I thought maybe it was just a hiccup. I unplugged the battery to force a reset of the computer and now it seems to be ok. I drove around the block and had no issues. We'll see if it continues. I'm at 29900 miles.

Another concern is that on Monday I'm supposed to be moving from Georgia to Montana - so this is not exactly a great time to have any sort of issue. I'm also due for my 30k service (which I had planned on getting IN Montana because [no offense to any Georgians here] I dislike the service I've gotten from the Georgia dealers - and I don't trust them). And, I can't postpone my move because its a military move and orders are orders. I just hope I can get to Montana without a problem. I hope its just a temporary glitch or electrical fluke that doesn't come back. I'll go driving around again today and see it it happens again.

Thanks for all the info on this particular transmission problem - nice to have a forum where all the info is available if you look!

PolarBZ
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I took it out again this afternoon and drove it around a bit (just to the store and down the interstate and few miles, then some stop and go traffic). No lights, no jerking, nothing out of the ordinary... maybe just a hiccup. I hope.

PolarBZ
02-10-2008, 10:43 PM
So as long as I'm documenting things here... I took it out today for some geocaching and most of it was good to go. Once, after I parked for about 2 minutes, I turned the key to the ON position without going to start (so the kids could hear the radio). At first, the engine light flashed, then stayed solid and the oil light stayed on. I switched to Neutral, thinking it put itself into limp mode, then started it up. All the lights went out and stayed out. I think there is something going bad with the wiring harness or something else in the electrical system.

08XKLimited
02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
possible you have the windshield/pillar leak some have but it is draining internal instead of coming through your headliner? like running into your cluster?

RedCommander
02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I turned the key to the ON position without going to start (so the kids could hear the radio). At first, the engine light flashed, then stayed solid and the oil light stayed on.

That's what it's supposed to do. You're supposed to use ACC to listen to the radio.

blinkgold311
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I picked my Commander up at lunch and didn’t even make it back to work before the check engine light was back on and I'm stuck in 3rd gear again. I drove straight back to the dealer. They messed around with it for a while and said they had found another "technical Bulletin" and were ordering the parts to fix it. Parts will be here Thursday and they got me a rental car. I am not real happy right now.

For what its worth the first time I was in with this problem they said the problem was a "pressure switch". The Invoice shows them changing out the
1. Filter TR
2. Filter PKG
3. Fluid TRA
4. Sealer RT

Again, I'm no mechanic but doesn’t look like they addressed the problem that they had first diagnosed. For what its worth, I mentioned this website and the posts concerning this problem but they didn’t really want to hear it.

Here is a run down of the symptoms of what I am experiencing. JC will be driving fine when I feel a pretty heavy "Bump". Display immediately shows "3" instead of "D". and the check engine light comes on. After you turn the ignition off and back on it will be fine for a while but then you get the Bump and its back in 3rd gear.

Dude, they didn't fix crap... all they did was replace the transmission filter and change the fluid, which I think was a TSB for a "delay in shift" problem, not a failure to shift problem...

rawbone1234
02-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello...New to this site...I starting having the same type of shifting problem yesterday at 22500 mi. I went to the dealer today and he cleared out the trouble light and reprogramed the computer module that controls shifting...He also is going to put a new control module on next week when it arrives...I drove it 70 mi today and it is still working for now...Hope this is a fix...He told me that there is a TSB on this problem...

2JeepFamily
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
OK, so after conquering the mysterious stalling without any recorded faults issue (3 months and 29 days of the Commander in the shop), I find myself in yet another unexpected position. We have the 4.7 Liter Limited 4X4. I was loving life since the stalling adventure between 500-3000 miles on the vehicle. Now we have about 33K miles on the car and no problems, just routine oil changes, 30K service, etc. Thought it would be fun to take my daughter up the the mountain for some night skiing last night. Since we live in Oregon about 45 minutes from Mt Hood, up the mountain we went. About 2 miles from our destination ski area, I heard a ping and looked down to see my check engine light on and my jeep was mysteriously in 3rd gear. The roads were not snowy at all, in fact almost dry, so there was no need to run in any lower gear and i had not downshifted. We pulled the jeep over and turned it off. Turned back on after a few minutes and checked the other gears, P, R, N all worked no problem. D however would only show 3. i was a bit afraid to try lower as I didn't relish a 40 mile drive home in 2nd gear. I called my dealership service department as they are open late. Asked them if they had seen this or had any idea how to possibly get the jeep out of 3rd gear. Not really, so I told them they should plan on seeing my bright and early the next morning. We did have a great time skiing- drive home took a little longer than planned as i really didn't push above 40mph. Drove the 24 miles to the dealership this morning and dropped it off. They called me this afternoon and said it was the solenoid. The warranty invoice shows they replaced Solenoid Val... it cuts off. Tech's very short description stated Diagnose and replace solenoid pack in transmission. I am hoping this resolves the issue for good, but I certainly don't get a warm fuzzy from this as I am rapidly approaching my 36K. We are strongly considering either purchasing the extended warranty or worse- getting rid of the Commander. It's tough, because we both really love the jeep, but I just have a hard time with the lack of confidence this vehicle is causing me right now. I am a first model year buyer of the Liberty- 02 model purchased 12/2001. Loved it as well and we have had absolutely no issues with this one at all. Recalls for ball joints which they replaced, etc. but other than routine oil change and maintenance, all has been great and over 93K on it now. If anything changes and i continue to have problems with the transmission, I will keep you all updated.

my800
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
2JeepFam,
Thanks for the post, keep us updated.

Telford
02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
:mad: Well I guess it’s my turn for a transmission story.

About five weeks ago I started my 06 Commander to back it out of the drive way and it failed to shift. Would not go into reverse, drive nothing. I Called the Chrysler they had it towed to the dealer according to the dealer the problem was low transmission fluid. I thought this was strange being that I purchased the car new and had it only about 13,000 miles on it. I asked if there was a leak, if some how it was burning fluid he said no sometimes they are just a little low when they come from the factory. It sounded like a strange explanation but I was happy to have it back after just a day.

Sidebar
After all I have owned Wranglers most of my life my last being a 97 that I sold in 2000 because the wife did not want the baby seat for our spanking new human to be on the removable bench in the rear. So I got a Liberty I loved it had no real issues with it and I did not expect any because after all it was a Jeep. Wife started driving liberty and loved it so much she suggested I trade in her Volvo for a Commander and she keep the liberty. So in October of 06 o got my first brand new car a 06 Commander with everything.

Fast forward to two days ago.

I pulled the Commander out of a parking space and it lurched then I noticed it was in 3rd gear and the check engine light was on. This morning started the Commander to take my daughter to school and noticed that the check engine light was gone. I am thinking great.
This evening I am about to leave to do the school pickup and the engine starts but again the transmission will not engage. Looks like another tow to the dealer in the morning.

I will keep you updated…

I have been finding many posts in various places on the web about this problem.
Chrysler needs to address this. There are safety issues as well as quality of life issues here at least for me. I have been unemployed for 6 months now and am looking for work daily. To save money and cut costs we decided to just have one car until I found work again. We kept the Commander since it was the newer car and it still was under warranty. Never did I think we would be affected by this kind of problem that seems to be some kind of design flaw.

I love the creature comforts of this Commander but I have always loved jeeps because of their reliability. I think I will be rolling back the clock and dumping the commander as soon as it is running for a older jeep with little comfort but much reliability.

jeep5253
02-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Telford, take a look at these TSB's and bring them to the attention of your dealer. May be something in them that applies to your situation. Also, you may have a bad shift control module.
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101505.pdf

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101605.pdf

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2100706.pdf

Telford
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=jeep5253]Telford, take a look at these TSB's and bring them to the attention of your dealer. May be something in them that applies to your situation. Also, you may have a bad shift control module.

Thanks Jeep5253,

I gave the TSBs to my dealer they replaced both filters and I was back on the road in a few hours.

Telford

3JeepDave
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
After 6 trips to the dealer, including a flash software update, overfill of fluid and 3 no problem found, they finally admitted to defective filters. It seems the policy is to put off consumers until the vehicle is out of warranty.

jeep5253
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks Jeep5253,

I gave the TSBs to my dealer they replaced both filters and I was back on the road in a few hours.

Telford
Your welcome. Glad I could help.

B-WIN
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
18,300 miles on my Commander and yesterday when I got in to go home from work my check engine light comes on and I have 3 on the shift indicator. I turn it on and off a couple times and I'm able to get D back, but the check engine light is still on.

I'm going to have to get it in to the dealership this weekend. From what I've read in this thread it could be a valve or possibly the filters?

I thought I was home free past the "trouble" phase. :(

rubicontrail.net
03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
18,300 miles on my Commander and yesterday when I got in to go home from work my check engine light comes on and I have 3 on the shift indicator. I turn it on and off a couple times and I'm able to get D back, but the check engine light is still on.

I'm going to have to get it in to the dealership this weekend. From what I've read in this thread it could be a valve or possibly the filters?

I thought I was home free past the "trouble" phase. :(

Go to your local AutoZone and pull the code for the MIL illumination (free service). Then post back here what it is.

steelblueXK
03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Is anyone having the "Service Park Assist System" message on the EVIC, when the check engine light comes on and the PRND lights are all highlighted? When this happens I get a loss of power or inability to shift. Have also had CLUNKING when shifting from reverse to drive... See the Park Assist Thread also...

My dealership is also giving me the run around saying it's the Transmission Control Module (which they replaced), then the Shift Control Module (which they have on order...)

Have not had any issues since 3/18/08, but wanted to get anyone else's opinion out there, since this seems to be a VERY Hot Topic...

miko1970
05-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Is anyone having the "Service Park Assist System" message on the EVIC, when the check engine light comes on and the PRND lights are all highlighted? When this happens I get a loss of power or inability to shift. Have also had CLUNKING when shifting from reverse to drive... See the Park Assist Thread also...

My dealership is also giving me the run around saying it's the Transmission Control Module (which they replaced), then the Shift Control Module (which they have on order...)

Have not had any issues since 3/18/08, but wanted to get anyone else's opinion out there, since this seems to be a VERY Hot Topic...

We were having this exact same problem with our '07 Commander. It was intermittent. The first time it happened, we turned it off, waited a few seconds, restarted and all was well, with the exception of the check engine light which reset itself after a while. It did this several other times and the same "fix" worked. About a month ago it did it again and the shut it off and wait solution did not fix it. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that took care of it.

Took it to the dealer (1 1/2 hours away) and it actually did the same thing to them (this has got to be first for me) The codes showed the Transmission Control Module and the Electric Shift Module. They just happened to have both in stock and replaced them, test drove it and gave it back to me. I ran around for about 2 hours in the area and then headed home. As soon as I got home, it did it again.

I called the dealership and got a very helpful tech on the phone. He had me pull a fuse bundle in the Integrated Power Module (first fuse/relay box behind the battery) to disconnect the battery. This module, according to him supplies power to the entire car. While doing this, we noticed a spark that came from the stud/bolt that connect this Integrated Power Module to the battery. The nut was not tightened all the way down and was actually cross-threaded. The tech told me that they have seen "a lot" of cross-threaded nuts on this module. We tried to tighten it but couldn't and the stud actually came out of the module. The dealership ordered a new module, sent a tech up (1 1/2 hours one way) to replace it and all has been fine since.:D

According to the tech, the battery cable was losing contact with the stud causing a very brief loss of power which would cause all the computers and other electronics to lose communication with each other and putting into "limp mode" (all the gear indicators being lit up and only being able to drive about 30 MPH). Ours only did this at startup and I think the initial torque of the engine starting was jolting the cable making it lose contact.

If you're having the same type of problem, I would highly recommend you take a look at this stud/bolt and make sure the nut is tightened all the way. Very simple fix and one that the code readers would NEVER catch and evidently is at least somewhat common according to the tech I dealt with.

Hope this helps!

John
05-18-2008, 06:49 AM
The dealer sent a tech to your house?? IF SO WOW. That dealer deserves many KUDOS. john

jeep5253
05-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks so much for this information, miko1970. I haven't had this problem but quite a few others here have. I'm sure your info will be helpful. Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

miko1970
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
BIG KUDOS to the Dealer....Chris Nikel Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler in Broken Arrow, OK. This is our 3rd Jeep from them and have always been pleased.
Hope this helps some others. It was very frustrating for us, but so far so good...no more problems (as I'm knocking on my wooden end-table).

Thanks for the welcome to the forums. From what I've seen so far it looks like a great bunch of people.

artmanr
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Where am I checking? I don't know where this part is. Is it under the hood? Just want to see if mine is ok.

Thanks..

AR

miko1970
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
The Integrated Power Module is under the hood on the driver's side directly behind the battery. There should be two rectangular Fuse/Relay boxes right next to each other. The one that was giving us problems was the one closest to and directly behind the batter.

Just a side note: we have had zero problems with ours since this was replaced :)

Old McDonald
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Quote from wikipedia:

Basic RFE operation

The fully electronic control is accomplished by the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Depending on year and application, it can either be a stand-alone module or intergrated with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The TCM uses data from various transmission and engine sensors to control transmission shifting. The transmission operates the solenoid pack to change hydralic flow through the valve body to various clutches in the transmission. The solenoid pack is mounted directly to the valve body, its connector protrudes from a hole on the left side of the transmission. On the 45 and 545RFE the hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, SECOND, and THIRD gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This design allows the vehicle to be driven (in “limp-in” mode) in the event of a electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to the transmission. On the 68RFE, FOURTH gear is used for limp-in instead of SECOND and THIRD.

Higgins11
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Well I guess It's time for my story now and I've heard lots of different solutions on this topic after sitting down and reading it from start to finish. Let me recap to make sure i have it right.
Could be any of the following
1)Valve body
2)selinoid pack
3) Integrated power module

Mine is alittle different so i throw this out to get opinions. I buy the XK on friday and monday the service engine light comes on.........tuesday the Commander will not shift out of FIRST ( NOT 3rd like every body elses)
dealership get it reset the codes drive it 30 miles to me and 100 feet from my work it shifts to first and sticks there so they send another roll back

why is mine in first not third and do I have most of the solutions listed?

Higgins11
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Well the dealership called and said I could pick up the Commander tonight so we will see if they got it right

I'll know a little more about what got replaced tonight but I know they changed the valve body and the wiring harness so I hope that fixes it

Ryno1877
09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Im new here but thought I would post... I have a '06 Commander with less than 20k miles. I bought it new and never had a real problem... until now. When my wife was driving to work today it started acting odd. Sluggish acceleration and very high rpms at low speeds. The way she described it, it sounded like she was stuck in a low gear. But the indicator showed it was in drive, and she couldn't down shift.

I called the dealer and they said it may have slipped into third and just showed as being in drive. They want it in to check this week. I took it out when i got home and it seemed fine, for about 15 minutes. By the time I got home it wouldnt go over 20mph with the accelerator floored, the rpms didnt run high. It just wouldnt go. Pulled up the driveway and tried reverse and it just rolled back like it was in Neutral.

I saw at least one other person has had a similar problem, are there more? Is this rare or a recurring problem?

statler392
09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep, that is exactly what happened to me. Unfortunately I live on an island in Alaska, the closest Jeep dealership is a 100 mile boat ride away. The story I got from a shop up here was that a sensor in the transmission was misaligned. Bottom line is that your Commander put itself into 'safe/limp home mode' because something is wrong. I honestly don't know the 'fix' for this. After a month of being told from the non Jeep dealer that I purchased it from(mine was previous rental vehicle) that it's a part that never breaks, only made in Germany, and whatever b.s. they tried, I just traded it in. I had only owned it a month or so, and the loaner they gave the second time I went in was in better condition than the first one anyways.
Sorry I don't have a better happy ending

Ryno1877
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Got mine fixed today. Two bad sensors in the transmission. Got lucky and the dealer had the parts in stock. Only took about two hours. All seems good now, lets hope it stays that way.

Haags
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
This has got to be the longest thread ever! It's been going almost three years now...

hogwash
09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I just had my commander go into limp mode today. I pulled out of my parking spot at work and i noticed the car seemed to jump into second gear. After avoiding one of the local bums crossing in front of me, I looked down and saw the Jeep was in "3" and would not change. I pulled off the road and restarted the Jeep. The check engine light is still but everything is functioning like normal.

I really don't feel like taking my Jeep to the $tealership since it took me 5 trips there just to finally get the windshield noise fixed. I will see what develops and post and update.

Higgins11
09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
good luck with that hogwash but i'm willing to bet it returns

there are 3 tsb's that fixed mine
valve body
filter
wireing harness

dealership replaced all 3

hogwash
09-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I went to the dealer on Friday. They said they wanted to replace to filters in the transmission on Monday. They cleared the check engine light and sent me on my way. Hopefully this is the last time it happens.

Ryno1877
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
When I told my dealer that my commander went into limp in mode he wanted it towed in that day. He didnt want me driving anywhere that I may have to go over 20 mph. He said if I drove too far in limp in, it could damage the transmission. Hopefully he was just being causious. Hope its nothing serious, good luck.

hogwash
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I picked up my Commander and they said they fixed TSB 21-007-06:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/21-007-06.htm

So far, everything appears to be fine. I guess I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

rooney2oons
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
I hate that I am having to resurrect this old long thread, but...

I seem to have this problem with mine.

I have 40k miles on it. It does this in Dallas when the temperature is hovering around freezing. Today marks the second time it has done this. It stopped for a while after a few drives. This morning, it is 29deg and it did it again.
The manual says this is normal and will stop after it warms up. But I guess driving all over the neighborhood and down the service road isnt enough.

Is this something that is a recall issue, I cant afford to pay for any repairs.
I have no cash or credit cards to cover this kinda crap right now.

GPintheMitten
01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
I hate that I am having to resurrect this old long thread, but...

I seem to have this problem with mine.

I have 40k miles on it. It does this in Dallas when the temperature is hovering around freezing. Today marks the second time it has done this. It stopped for a while after a few drives. This morning, it is 29deg and it did it again.
The manual says this is normal and will stop after it warms up. But I guess driving all over the neighborhood and down the service road isnt enough.

Is this something that is a recall issue, I cant afford to pay for any repairs.
I have no cash or credit cards to cover this kinda crap right now.

What exactly happened? Did it go into 3rd gear limp mode? They can't be serious about it being normal for the transmission to go into limp mode when it is 29 degrees. It is 4 degrees right now where I am.

rooney2oons
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I did the error code trick and got a P0700 code. Cant find anything on that.

The wife gets in this morning, lets it idle for a few minutes do to the last time it was this cold and the same thing happened.

She puts it in reverse, backs out of the driveway. Puts in in Drive, said it didnt really want to go. She noticed that it went to 3rd and would not shift up or down. The MIL does not flash when you turn the key on w/o starting. Manual says this is good.

I went out and drove it when I got home. It is about 50deg. right now.
I played with it to see what it would do. Kinda went into reverse okay. When I noticed it was stuck in 3rd I shut it off, started it back up and immediately shifted into 1st. It seemed okay that way but if you put it in Drive, then it acted funny. It also died on me a few times at a stop sign.

GPintheMitten
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Well hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

rooney2oons
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Went out for another neighborhood drive. Still MIL light on. Hesitated into reverse, hesitated into drive. Drove okay at first. drove around at about 3mph, no power problems. It accelerates fine. I came to the third stop sign after reaching 40-45 on the main road. DIED. now correct me if I am wrong. When your cars engine dies, shouldnt the battery light come on? Mine did not.
If I hadnt been paying attention to the Tach, I wouldnt have known it died.

jeep5253
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
This is all I could find on the code.
P0700 = Transmission Control System Malfunction

GPintheMitten
01-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Sounds like you'll need to take it to the dealership.

rooney2oons
01-15-2009, 11:11 PM
We got to thinking about this whole issue. This is a new problem this winter.
Had it since May of 06. At our old house it got cold, and it gets cold at the new house about 10 miles further from the city. The only thing different is the driveway has some slope vs. the old house that had a flat driveway.
I know fluid will settle. I also know the Jeep hadnt been driven since 3:30pm the day before. I went out and started the Jeep again a little bit ago, and the MIL light went off. :icon_confused:

Ranger6882
01-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice to see ya back Rooney, when is the last time you had transmission serviced, mine did that last year and had to have module replaced.

rooney2oons
01-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I havent had it serviced, it only has 40k miles on it. I have kept up with oil changes though. I am going to check it out tonight, and maybe get to the dealer Saturday.

a49erFan
01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
rooney2oons, nice to see you again!

rooney2oons
01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
so it is at the local transmission shop in Forney.
He is telling me that the torque converter and solenoid packs need repaired.
Also it has metal contamination. And it dies just about every stop.
$1400 to $1600 to fix.

jho
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I had the exact same issue on my 06 4x4 Hemi Commander. 65,000 miles, stuck in 3rd, wont shift manually, etc., etc.

Dealership said when they pulled the trans pan, there was metal due to clutches being shot. Works fine now with new trans and $3,800 later.

rooney2oons
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I dont feel so bad seeing the price you paid. I was told that there was metal in the bell housing and the clutch was shot.

pajones1
08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Surprise, surprise--I am blessed to be experiencing the problem described in detail over the last FOURTEEN PAGES. '06 Commander, non-HEMI. Started about a month ago, the usual: can't get out of second or third (or fourth or fifth; yes I've experienced each of these situations), usually it's third gear. ERSO (manual shift--I've been reading my manual!) seems to be inactive during these times. Engine light may or may not come on, have turned off car to re-set computer each time, usually correcting it temporarily (a few times I've had to stop and re-start a couple times for it to re-set correctly). Has happened probably a dozen times in all, before and after taking it to dealer; at dealer now for the third time in thirty days. They have yet to correctly diagnose it: first time they said the computer indicated a battery problem, which made no sense to me (turns out, no battery problems); second time (2.5 weeks ago) they couldn't figure anything out, finally replaced some tranny sensor which seemed like a perfect solution (HA); this time, the service foreman drove it home last night in hopes of experiencing the pattern of failure (hope he took the old lady out for dinner!) and so far today they tell me it MIGHT be a wiring problem, which likely won't be covered by the extended warranty I bought in '06 for like $1700 (one born every minute). We shall see. Dealership acts like this is some strange new problem, while this board alone discusses wire harness, tranny control module, shift control module, torque converter, filters, solenoid, pressure switch, valve body, clutch, metal in trans pan/bell housing, TSBs etc. etc. etc. solutions proposed by dealers. Certainly not a new problem. Had my bare-bones, manual '96 Cherokee Sport for 11 years until finally experiencing some problems, so I upgraded; starting to long for those simpler times....

WileyNJ
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey PA Jones, Might relieve you....

3 Days ago, My check engine light comes on. I was driving and it felt sluggish off the line. Kinda like being in 3rd, and starting from a dead stop.

I went to shift into (manual) a lower gear. And no good. I had this problem in the past (about 9 month ago) and they replaced a sensor. I had it also before back a few years but not sure it was the Commander of my liberty. Im thinking Commander as I dont think i had the manual shift option in the Liberty. If I recall right the last two times it was a sensor.

I got home, and set up towing the nest day (monday) to the dealer. Since it came with roadside assistance and I didnt feel like breaking down on the highway to have it towed anyway :)

So Monday they asked to keep it till today. And today they called and said they would need to order parts. (Now, I did ask about a rental car. In NJ supposedly it is not longer legal to have loaner cars. Maybe they changed the name to courtesy car because of that), but either way , Jeep Doesnt offer loaners when there crap you buy breaks down in NJ. Sorry to say Obama's 700 Million loan didnt cover that....Anyway...

I asked for a rental car, as I understand it, it costs money from the dealer/service to pay for the whopping 35.00 rental coverage. So I figured hit them for 35.00 a day my car is sitting there. I ended up seeing rental were like 80.00 for a Aveo ( r u kidding me :) )so i didnt rent one. And luckely my truck was actually finished tonight.

I picked it up and they replaced a "shorted sensor" (input speed sensor).

They also noted the truck was noisy in front and replaced both front stabilizers, and the sway bar. (I did put in a rocky road lift) and noted the truck seemed a little more noisy like a year ago, but also noted the front end did seem to clank a little more going over railroad tracks or manhole covers. They wrote "bolt threads damaged" on the invoice. So if your truck seems a little noisy, have them check it and see if your bolts may be going bad while you there for the speed sensor.

As for Warranty. I am pleased to say my 50.00 deductable covered all the work and labor. So, I did do a wheel balance and rotation as a courtesy to the dealer. I was shocked how they actually fixed the car today. Also he (the guy when he called) said he needed to order a part for the transmission, but yet he had it done tonight. But he is the same guy, who lost one of my sets of keys (stating they need both for an auto start install, which they DONT need two sets). They he was getting me a new key ordered. And then when I told him to get it cut since he lost it, he was like a babbling baby. So i called 5 days later and was like where is my key, and by then my key had reappeared. So I told him to fed ex it to me overnight, or bring it to my house in a loaner car he didnt have since he screwed up , and i was not going back to him to pick up a lost key, a replaced key, and now a found key.

Im glad my warranty covered all this. And I understand no car is perfect. But dont ask me about **** like a wheel alignment and tune up when Im waiting for my car to be fixed and your offering me no transporation.

The girl at the cashier counter was incredibly hot. Sexy, Nice rack and pinion!!!:banana_hitit:
Little Falls, NJ Jeep.
So far I give them A plus rating for my two times there.
There service did finish my last two jobs quickly.
The guy at the service dept, he is an absolute dummy. Its like you ask him something and he doesn't have a clue. I'd expect to find him at home depot where they all work and dont have a clue........

beddolls
09-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Would love to know how this was resolved. Going through same (sticking in 4th gear w/ engine light) - 3rd trip to dealer service. Picking up Commander now - they can't duplicate problem. Thanks.

JoeCommander
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
shouldnt be bad as long as your under 45 mph at the most!

kirinaz
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I started this thread yesterday and it sounds like the same issue. Took it to a dealer and they said they need to replace the solenoid pack in the transmission.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10882

Wanted $950, talked them down to $750

jthooker
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
My commander is doing the same thing. The Transmission gets stuck in third gear. When they pluged my vehicle into the computer it was showing a message about, I think,a "Pressure switch" on the transmission. They said the part would be here tomorrow and it would take about an afternoon to put it on. We will see how it goes. Quite frustrating.
HEY! what ever happened? got the same problem... dealer said something bout leaky tranny lines, old failure code in system. i had em change the lines and top er off, reset codes... $500 later, and 24hrs, same problem! it seems to be stuck in 3-4th gear. i shut her off, then back on and everythings fine...
what to do?
please help!
JT

SRILEY1556
04-28-2010, 07:23 AM
I have been having a similar problem with my 09 Commander. It keeps getting stuck in a limp mode but there are no warning lights coming on or codes being stored. I have had 3 repairs performed with no fix yet. I have had a connection repair with a sensor in the valve body, the front plate on the valve body replaced and the tcm replaced but it continues to happen about 1-2 times a week. Haven't even had the car for a year. Anyway please post any fix you may receive.

SAL-XK
04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I have been having a similar problem with my 09 Commander. It keeps getting stuck in a limp mode but there are no warning lights coming on or codes being stored. I have had 3 repairs performed with no fix yet. I have had a connection repair with a sensor in the valve body, the front plate on the valve body replaced and the tcm replaced but it continues to happen about 1-2 times a week. Haven't even had the car for a year. Anyway please post any fix you may receive.

Check the lemon laws for your state. The last state I lived in they had three attempts to fix the same problem then they had to replace the car.

love my commander
07-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi I am in UK, 3ltr deisel commander
I and the previous owner have transmission problems
The gear change is not smooth and sometimes it is as if it is not in gear then jerks forward.
It has had the electrical plug changed, new gear shift module and the valve inside transmission changed.

But still not happy with performance

During all this when you first switch the following message very quickly flashs up before normal display. Had to film it and slow down on computer to read

" Transmission over temp" this even when cold from over night and dealer says not dtc's showing

Milage now 17,000 was 5,700 when bought

Any thoughts or anybody had same?

Thanks

Longbow
07-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Sounds like something similar that I am going through now. I have an 06; 2wd commander with 79000 miles. For the last few days when slowing down for a stop light or sign, as the xmsn downshifts it seems to "jerk" into 2nd or 1st gear. It happens about once a day for the past week. I have tried to duplicate it with different driving styles but nothing happens. When I try to manually shift down to 1st gear I feel a similar "jerk" but I dont think its only happening in that gear when in D. I have not yet had it looked at for that reason but plan too soon. If you get an answer please post it and I will do the same. Also I am in Texas now and the weather is.... Hot and Humid so I dont think it has anything to do with the problems in the earlier posts.

I have not noted the RPM when that happens and I notice no real difference in performance other then that sudden "jerk". Also, there has been no Transmission light that comes on.

Jeepster91505
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I have had the same jerking issues with my transmission. I did some research online and found out there was a TSB for this problem. I took it to the dealership and they flashed the computer with new PCM software and it seems to be working properly again. No more jerking and erratic shifting. Granted I just had this done yesterday, but it hasn't happened since. Also there is a period where the PCM has to re-learn your driving habit/style and the software adjusts the shift points in the tranny. I have read it takes ~ 500 miles but don't quote me on that. The cost was $110 for all related TSB's so you can imagine my relief. I thought I was in for major work. There are many software related TSB's so check the list and find all that apply to your Commander. I found 3 that were fixed with the software. A list of TSB's can be found here http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm Hope this helps! I will re-post later if the problem arises again.

love my commander
02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Sounds like something similar that I am going through now. I have an 06; 2wd commander with 79000 miles. For the last few days when slowing down for a stop light or sign, as the xmsn downshifts it seems to "jerk" into 2nd or 1st gear. It happens about once a day for the past week. I have tried to duplicate it with different driving styles but nothing happens. When I try to manually shift down to 1st gear I feel a similar "jerk" but I dont think its only happening in that gear when in D. I have not yet had it looked at for that reason but plan too soon. If you get an answer please post it and I will do the same. Also I am in Texas now and the weather is.... Hot and Humid so I dont think it has anything to do with the problems in the earlier posts.

I have not noted the RPM when that happens and I notice no real difference in performance other then that sudden "jerk". Also, there has been no Transmission light that comes on.

Mine now seems sorted after a complete transmission replacement under warranty.
Chyrsler techincian came up but would not talk to me at all, report given to dealer was nothing found but fault most probaly in trans and authorised a replacement.

Still have the "over temp " message and they are trying to say it is nothing just a characteristic of the software "beleive " it is that they do not know what is causing it.

I did check through the tsb's and any relevant ones were flagged up to the dealer for action but nothing resolved

The dealer did say however that the 2008 GC's were flashed to update the software but it cannot not be done for the commander??
which has the same running gear. Revison version not compatible??

Apart from the " temp" message which I still have I also still have the hesitation on applying the accelerator after coasting e.g. like coming off roundabouts etc.

Billybob
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I just bought my Commander about 1 month ago. I Have recently noticed that when you shift from park to drive and punch it something strange happens. the engine will rev for 1 sec then die down then slowly rev back up and start moving the truck. It also happens if I shift from neutral to drive. It only lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds and doesn't ever happen from a stop just when newly shifted into drive. Is this something that is bad that I should have looked at? or is this a failsafe system Jeep built into the computer? any Help would be great!

by the way its a 07, 3.7L

sherts82
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I joined the forum just to talk about this...2008 XK w/42k mi. 3.7 4x4. I talked to my mechanic and he thinks it's just the 2 sensors on the tranny??? Hopefully not too expensive. Will repost on or after Friday, when my car see's its doctor. Wish me luck!

UK Commander
06-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi I am in UK, 3ltr deisel commander
I and the previous owner have transmission problems
The gear change is not smooth and sometimes it is as if it is not in gear then jerks forward.
It has had the electrical plug changed, new gear shift module and the valve inside transmission changed.

But still not happy with performance

During all this when you first switch the following message very quickly flashs up before normal display. Had to film it and slow down on computer to read

" Transmission over temp" this even when cold from over night and dealer says not dtc's showing

Milage now 17,000 was 5,700 when bought

Any thoughts or anybody had same?

Thanks

Hi there fellow Brit,

Oh dont get me started.....I had 3No transmissions replaced on my 3.0ltr CRD, the dealer was no use what so ever....i never did really find out the truth of the problem....they say it was a bad trans mounting and alignment that caused the continual failures...I'm not so sure.

I hope you dont take yours to JCT 600, I did twice and boy are they totally stupid!

I'll check back through my records, i'll see what i can find.

I'll be back soon. :)

guitarfool
08-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Greetings! I have an 07 commander and love it, In the past few weeks a "whining" noise started. Sounds like fan on high but only sounds when i accelerate and car isnt remotely hot. This leads me to think its the tranny. How to fix whiny transmission or should i trade it before it gets worse? HELP!

specpot
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
My UK spec 07 commander 5.7 hemi has recently developed a very similar auto box problem. Gone into safe mode indicating 3rd but in 2nd and moves with lots of revs but not really controllable as jerks and goes quickly. It has only done 30K UK miles and has been serviced more or less on schedule by Jeep apart from the last service at 27K miles. As it broke down on holiday in the far north of Scotland there were no Jeep dealers so the local main Ford dealer ran a limited diagnostic on it and found low oil pressure & perhaps a blocked filter but could not even start to fix it. Recovered 250 miles to main Jeep dealer who tell me I need a new (rebuilt) gearbox and torque convertor. Cost £GB 6200 inc tax. Currently asking Jeep Europe for a serious contribution as a car that cost £GB36K new should not require such a repair at 30K miles. I can get a specialist repairer to recon my own transmission for £GB 2800 so I think Jeep are taking the mince as we say in Scotland. Seems to be a lot of posts about auto box failure. Jeep have asked my dealer if they think it is a manufacturing defect but they seem to think Jeep are going to find fault with the service record and blame it on that. Car never towed more than 1500 kg for not many miles and never been off road other than in a muddy field.

Shawn
11-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Hi, another brit here.

JC 5.7L Limited on 60,000ish miles

2 nights ago it was cold and icy (2c) and I was gonna drive home from work. Whilst pulling away I noticed the car was shuddering and driving really slow, then I realised it was stuck in 3rd gear! Going from N to D made the car jump forward and was instantly in 3rd gear. Restarting didn't help. Pushing left and right did nothing, except holding the stick to the right made it display 'D' but was actually still stuck in 3rd. Letting go just flipped back to '3'. Managed to get home but the check engine light came on during the journey. DTC code P0700.

Next day, engine light is still on but looks like I can use it as normal (not driven it but no longer selects '3'). Taking it to Jeep tomorrow, will let you know what they think. I suspect the cold weather had something to do with the problem. I've only had the car 2 months so I really hope this is a one off!

Shawn
11-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Jeep found the transmission fluid was low so topped it up. Also updated the Final Drive Control Module then reset the error codes. Drives great now with no further problems.

Sorbs
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
A couple of comments from the field. I had similar issues where the trans would go searching for shift points. I bought a Diablo InTune and use the Diablo program. Problem solved. During highway cruising with the cruise control on I also noticed a thud. Turns out the MDS transition is too harsh...so I turned it off (another benefit of the InTune).

Rickler
11-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey,

New to the forum - Owner of an 06 Jeep Commander 5.7 Ltd.
Up until recently, no complaints with the vehicle.

Yesterday, I started the Jeep everything seemed fine. I put it in gear, and maybe moved a foot or two and it seemed very laggy and then just sat idle as I had my foot on the gas. It was sitting for a good 36 hours in the cold (Manitoba, Canada) and I figured it was maybe due to the weather.
Tried restarting it and going into reverse and drive but it still wouldn't engage.
I have an engine light on so I went and purchased a reader for the error code.
It showed codes: P0867 and P0841.

Speaking to the local dealer in town they recommended having it towed in for a fluid and filter change.

I apologize for the length of this post, I've researched the error codes and both refer to transmission issues. I'm hoping - Maybe not the right term, but has anyone had any similar issues and could fill me in on what to expect. I'm really, reallllly hoping I'm not going to have to replace the transmission, that's for sure.
-I should add I checked the tranny fluid level and it seemed clean and actually a bit high. I may try again tomorrow and let the vehicle run a little longer for a more accurate reading.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Rick

Rickler
12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Had the jeep towed to a transmission business to flush and replace filters.
Awaiting word after they determine the issue(s)

Meli34
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi, my husband and I have a 2008 Jeep Commander and like many of you, our jeep will be going roughly 40-70 mph and will display "Park Assistant Disabled" then down shift into first gear. This jolts the car and whatever is in it! The first time it happened we were on a busy interstate and was able to pull off. Once we restarted the car it was fine for a month and we were able to drive it a good distance. While visiting family 5 states away it happened again. This time we couldn't reset it and it would not get out of 1st gear allowing us to only go 15 mph. There was no way we could travel home like that. We took it to the Jeep dealership and they replace the solenoid pack. 3 months later, we were taking another trip and it happened again. We took it to a different dealership (because we were in a different state), they said it wasn't the solenoid pack this time but the control shift module. They had the jeep for 2 weeks, we got it back Friday and on the way home it happened again!!! We hadn't even driven it more than 10 miles. We call this morning and they said it was a display issue. If they were to take it out and test drive it, they would know it's much more than a display issue!!! They said it was fine when they drove it across the parking lot. That's not considered a "test drive". It's very dangerous and very scary! We've been lucky each time to be able to pull off the interstate, but it has almost caused several accidents! No other warning is displayed. No emergency light or check engine displayed.... The dealership is unsure what is going on... We can't keep spending money on something that's not being fixed!! We need help!! We told the dealership they needed to pick up the car today from our house and have that be their "test drive" so they can truly see what we're talking about... We'll see. Any one else been able to get a good "fix" on the problem?

Federicoa
04-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I totally had something similar to that happen. I don't have the Limited, but it's the '06 with the U package and a Quadra Drive II system. The first week I drove it, we had the TRANS OVER TEMP signal come up on the Command Center. When this happened it dropped the tranny into Limp mode until I was able to shut 'er down. I let it go and thought it was just a stop and go traffic thing, but then it happened again on another day while the Jeep idled for only 10 min. So I took it into the dealer. They did their diagnostic check and saw the signal but there was no proof that the transmission was really over temp, in fact, no sign at all. So they called DC to find out if they had any history or recalls. Nothing! The Jeep mechanic reset it and said it may be a faulty sensor, he said to see if it comes on again. Low and behold, ding!! This time I shifted around with my tiptronic instead of pulling over and turning the vehicle off and it made the warning go away. It did this a few more times before I was able to get it into the shop again, but I let them know what I did and the mechanic ordered the new sensor and replaced it. 100-150 miles driven since and haven't seen it! Weird :confused:
What sensor did he change??