power loss? [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: power loss?

Gman
12-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a standard V6 XK. Has anyone experienced a problem when turning a corner and suffering power loss? This is my second XK (first one bought back because of lemon) and both had/have this issue. The wierd thing is it doesn't do it all the time. I figured it was because of the computer's safety stuff but if I, on purpose, hit the gas when turning it doesn't do it?!? The frustrating thing is when I need to get in traffic, that's when it decides to act up. I took the original XK in for this issue, and they said it was just a loose wire. But it continued to do it. Other than this, it's been a great truck. But it's becoming a real pain in the butt.

Thanks,
G

bravo2376
12-19-2006, 04:52 AM
They're quite a few post in here regarding this issue.

inocenza
12-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Yep. I have the same problem.

rubicontrail.net
12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
If it doesn't do it when you give it gas then I would guess it is a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control or possibly the fuel pump or injectors.

Dabitz
12-19-2006, 09:27 AM
happens to me as well. I just press the pedal deeper.

rubicontrail.net
12-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Here is something to test. If you have the Tow/Haul button. Press that and see if it stops happening. This changes the shift points and generally results in higher RPMs. It might not help in this situation as you say it is happening at low speeds but hey it's something easy to try.

Dabitz
12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
We don't have that feature on the V6.

JeepRig
12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I actually have had the same problem once in a while. Hesitates a couple seconds and then kicks in.

Hey, where's my jeepcommander.com t-shirt...I just hit 50 posts!

Bulldog9
12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I've noticed it too, and think it is the ESP program, cutting back on throttle because it senses a sharp turn. As soon as I straighten the whell out, bam power comes on. I hate compuer gizmomitry........ WIsh I could shut teh ESP off permanently, and just have the ABS/LSD.

Dabitz
12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I got 230 and not even a lolipop

skyking
12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, there are many cases of this. My 06 4.7 liter does it at low speeds around parking lots or at busy intersections. It just stalls or really hesitates. I filed a complaint with the NTHSA. I would recommend this. Maybe they will issue a recall notice to the dealers. Nothing worse than a dealership telling you they cannot replicate the problem. :D

webjones
12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I only had that happen once when making a right turn. I cut too sharp, hit the curb with a back tire and the JC felt sluggish accelerating. I have not felt it any other time than that one.

chaman
12-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I've noticed it too, and think it is the ESP program, cutting back on throttle because it senses a sharp turn. As soon as I straighten the whell out, bam power comes on. I hate compuer gizmomitry........ WIsh I could shut teh ESP off permanently, and just have the ABS/LSD.

I completely agree with this observation.

TPS
12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I think it's definitely related to the ESP...I have these symptoms every day on my commute - there's one very rough patch of road over some railroad tracks that I cross and the ESP kicks on for a second or two (light flickers on). When I turn off the TC/ESP prior to crossing this spot it does not happen.

bravo2376
12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I think it's definitely related to the ESP...I have these symptoms every day on my commute - there's one very rough patch of road over some railroad tracks that I cross and the ESP kicks on for a second or two (light flickers on). When I turn off the TC/ESP prior to crossing this spot it does not happen.
What'd the dealer say? I take mine off road on trails and no lights flicker.

kfbagt
12-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think that it is the traction control portion as much as the ESP. It is sensing a certain g-force during the turn and does not want any extra power applied. The computer thinks that accelerating once a certain g-force is attained it could cause the vehicle to lose traction and driver control. If you are the type of driver that likes to get into a turn and then accelerate out you will notice that this happens much more often. If you will coast through the corner or keep light acceleration on through the turn you should notice a significant reduction in the amount of times the ESP will kick in.

However, if you disagree with my understanding of the issue then so be it. I say this based on my experiences in my mercedes with the same ESP programming and the research I have done on the subject in the past.

I am no expert......but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

bravo2376
12-23-2006, 01:37 AM
I tried to take mine hard on the corners the other day to see what happens. And sure enough, I ended up in the ditch:eek: just kidding. I felt a little jerking/bumping (not to noticable), thought it was the road, but it's a smooth road so I assume that could be the ESP or T/C trying to keep me from going in the ditch, but I didn't notice any power loss whatsoever.