Ticking noise when accelerating [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Ticking noise when accelerating

Argetni
01-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I was driving with the window down for the first time today and I noticed a fairly loud ticking sound when accelerating. It seems to come from the drivers side and maybe from the engine bay.

I lifted the hood and noticed the sound seems to come from the fuel injectors when idling.

I tried revving the engine when parked and was "unable to reproduce the customer complaint" :D

I have the 4.7L. Anyone else have this issue.

Gotta love American vehicles, 110 miles and I have leaking a-pillars and ticking engine noises :(

It is going to the dealer Thursday morning to look into the leaking, I guess I will have to bring up this issue as well.

Todd Abbott
01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
I've had very few isues but I did have a bent A-pillar trim panel, not a leak and my 4.7 sounds like it's oil starved/rocker tick from time to time, I check it once every few weeks to ease my mind but it's not burning oil and it full so I drive it, if it locks up from oil starvation back to the dealer it goes. I can say this without a doubt- I've owned many V-8's from 225HP daily drivers to 700HP summer toys and at idol this is the worst sounding motor I've ever owned, if I had it built I'd say it has valve train issues, mind you it drives fine, run fine and now has about 9K on it without any issues but it does sound ugly.

hemi lover
01-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes! same noise with the 4.7.

The noise began at about 8,000 miles. (We now have 13,000 miles)

The Dealer first said it was the fuel injectors, the second time we had it in for the noise, they said it was the purge valve.

Replacing the purge valve made no difference in the noise, so taking back for the 3rd time on this issue. Had the Jeep since July '06, and this is the only issue that wasn't fixed right away.

I feel your furstrations with the Jeep, most of us do!

nacedi
01-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a 2007 commander and within 200 miles I noticed a tick sound. I took it to the dealership and it was discovered that one of the dipsticks (the dipstick toward the back of engine by the A/C line) was put in the wrong place. The dipstick had to be repositioned because it ticked on accelleration. Tick is gone

nacedi
01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Have dealership check dipstick (its the dipstick on back left side by the aluminum A/C line) positioning. I have a 2007 commabder (HEMI) and I had the tick sound during accleration. Once the dipstick was repostioned, the tick was gone.

skinnsrod
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a 2006 with the 4.7L with just over 20,000 miles and I notice the ticking noise at idle but not during acceleration. There is no noticeable oil loss. I will be switching to Amsoil here shortly and I'm hoping that will take care of it.

tshields3
01-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I have the 06 w/4.7L and I have "the tick" since 127 miles. Going in tomorrow for first service @3500 mi. Gonna have "the tick" checked out with that dipstick?, theory. Wish me luck!

commander205
01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I thought it was a Chrysler thing. I have noticed it on lots of Chrysler/Dodge products dating back to the 80's. My 4.7 does it but I thought it was one of those "character" things that I got due to it being the Mopar V8. If this was a Hondota I'd be worried.

That said, I'm going to check my dipstick!

Also, in the summer it is very humid here in the south. The A/C drain pipe pours the excess water onto the exhaust pipe, and if you park in a garage you will also hear a loud tick/hissing for several minutes after parking from the water dripping on the exhaust and being vaporized. The rental Commander and GC's I tried did this also, so I'm sure it's a design thing. One of these day's I'm going to get under there and see if I can bend/move it slightly to stop it.

rubicontrail.net
01-12-2007, 03:24 PM
The A/C drain pipe pours the excess water onto the exhaust pipe, and if you park in a garage you will also hear a loud tick/hissing for several minutes after parking from the water dripping on the exhaust and being vaporized. The rental Commander and GC's I tried did this also, so I'm sure it's a design thing. One of these day's I'm going to get under there and see if I can bend/move it slightly to stop it.

But why, it cools the exhaust and keeps your garage floor drip free. :D :p ;)

commander205
01-12-2007, 05:44 PM
True... but if it ever overheats and starts pouring coolant I would ignore the water sounds... not good...

I went out and looked and cannot find the drain hose. It's too cool/dry right now, in a few weeks if I hear it dripping I'll try to find the source and post a fix.

Blake
01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have the 4.7 and it's a quiet motor.

I had the SOHC 4.7 in a 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 SLT and it was trouble free throughout it's life. I felt the one in the Ram was a bit underpowered, yet I didn't really want the Hemi in the Commander....so I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively brisk 4.7 in the XK. Relative to the one in the Ram that is. :D

It's due to the 5 spd auto having a decent off the line feel with the 3.73. I ended up glad to have the tow package w/ this gearing, if only for the axle ratio.

The Ram had slightly larger diameter Toyo offroad tires which geared the thing a bit tall, hence it seeming a bit weak... and mine had 3.55 gearing to exascerbate the problem.

The 4.7 is a decent, modern design and powerful enough for the XK application - and I've had zero problems or noises out of the two I've had.

badguy1971
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I had the 4.7 in my 99 Grand Cherokee... ticked every day. especially when cold in the AM.... as far as I know it was the evap canister doing its thing. When I heard my XK doing it also today (500 km=310 mi), I assumed the same thing so I am not too worried.
Bottom line is I had over 300000 km=186411 mi when I got rear ended and my WJ got totaled.... and it was running as good as it ever did. I felt it was good for another300000 km!!!
I think the 4.7 is a great, solid and reliable engine, so I got another one.

Argetni
01-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Dealer gave me an "unable to duplicate noise" :( ...they must be freaking deaf

jennabeanct2
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Every find the source of this noise... sounds like the same thing mine is now doing!

dddonkey
12-31-2010, 08:01 AM
I took mine in to the dealer 2 times for this and they say that it is normal. They say that the ticking is the valves and that all 4.7 engines are loud.

crazy tarzan
12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
mine does it under acceleration when cold--once it's nice and warmed up no issues. I just keep my foot out of the gas while it's cold. 86k on mine now.