stuck in 4 low [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: stuck in 4 low

smith630
12-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Hello,I just bought a 06 commander with a 4.7 and i was interested to see how the 4 low worked. So, following the manual I put it in 4low just fine but now it will not shifted out. The thing just beeps and service 4wd system come up on the screen.please help.and yes I even tried to shift into neutrul
thank you

UberCommander
12-11-2010, 11:49 PM
put it in neutral and then pull up on T bar until the 4lo light goes away. You should be stopped.

Ahmed
12-12-2010, 02:05 AM
what UberCommander said is the correct procedure ,, if that doesn't work then try to move the vehicle while in 4low for a short distance and stop and try again.

if that does not work too ,, try to disconnect the batter and reconnect and try again.

USMCMP
12-12-2010, 06:43 AM
I always have to be not quite stopped, very VERY very slow roll, in neutral, but it shouldnt say "service 4wd system" if doing it incorrectly, it should say something like "check shift procedure"

Ahmed
12-12-2010, 06:47 AM
I always have to be not quite stopped, very VERY very slow roll, in neutral,

I have used 4low some many times ,, and always was totally stopped and always works :)

USMCMP
12-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Stopped probably works too, I personally roll

XKDRIVER
12-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Hello,I just bought a 06 commander with a 4.7 and i was interested to see how the 4 low worked. So, following the manual I put it in 4low just fine but now it will not shifted out. The thing just beeps and service 4wd system come up on the screen.please help.and yes I even tried to shift into neutrul
thank you
Could the transfer case fluid be low?

SAL-XK
12-12-2010, 09:17 AM
It will work while stopped I have done it that way as well. You should be rolling 1-3MPH while operating the T-case. You should also hear the actuator engaging during operation as well.

robby
12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
thank you

All good thoughts above but a couple of additional ideas.
Since you indicate a recent purchass, you likely haven't looked it over, from a driveline perspective, very closely.
For starters, are all the tires equally worn and of the same manufacturer and size?
If any one or more tires is a different diameter, due to the above differences, the transfer case will tend to bind in low range.
The transfer case shift motor won't be able to make the requested shift and the 'Service System' light will come on.
This is the computer saying it is unable to perform the request......not necessarily a mechanical problem.

To 'unbind' the driveline, the owners manual says sometimes a slow coast (like slower than walking speed) in nuetral while lifting the lever, will sometimes be required.
If it is a severe bind, due to dimensional differences, you may have to follow that proceedure while rolling backwards.

You can also 'unbind" the driveline by raising any one wheel off the ground.....if it is bound, you will see the wheel spring into a unloaded condition the moment the tread clears the ground.
If you then start the vehicle and follow the transfercase shift instructions, with the wheel still off the ground, and it successfully shifts, you now know for certain there was a bind condition......most likely caused by a diameter difference in the tires.

Good luck,
Rob

smith630
12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
thanks everyone for your input but,here's what I did this morning,1 I disconnected the battery for over an hour than reconnected still same problem,2.started it up ran up and down the drive slowly trying everything I could think of following the manaul of course.3. Just on a wim I lightly took a rubber mallet and tapped on the transfer case shift motor to no avil. Still the same problem and yes all tires are the same size and they are new.
Thank you

SAL-XK
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Can you here the motor trying to come out of 4Lo? Just a though check the fuse related to the system not sure which one it is but you can look it up.

Mongo
12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
One wheel off the ground, heck all 4 wheels off the ground would eliminate any binding. Its worth a try. Hopefully the motor isn't burned out.

GPintheMitten
12-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Have you or are you driving it on dry pavement? If your driveway is dry pavement, try driving it on the lawn and performing the same procedures. It very likely bound up if you have been driving on dry pavement, regardless of same tire sizes.

07JeepXK
12-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Stopped probably works too, I personally roll

I have to engage my 4 low at a complete stop for it to engage. I once tried to do it like the owners manual said at a slight roll, approx 2-3 mph and I heard grinding noises and check shift proceedures light came on. At a complete stop it engages without any problems.

06h
12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I have to engage my 4 low at a complete stop for it to engage. I once tried to do it like the owners manual said at a slight roll, approx 2-3 mph and I heard grinding noises and check shift proceedures. At a complete stop it engages without any problems.

So we have identified that the 4wd low will engage and disengaged while at a slow roll or while stopped. I agree also. Anyone else out there, surely there has to be one more person that agrees with what has been said multiple times before! Anyone???

Now back to the subject, do you hear the servo attempting to actuate? If not have you checked the fuse?

dhh3
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Years ago, I had a Subaru wagon, that was mainly FWD. However, there was a lever that I could pull up, which engaged the rear drive shaft, so it became 4WD. However, there was no center differential, so it was basically part time 4WD. I had a 5-speed. If I was on dry pavement, and tried to turn, the car would bind up so bad that it would come to a complete stop. Usually a parking lot that had been partially cleared of snow. I'd have to put some snow under the tires, use all of my strength to get it into reverse, to unbind it, and take it out of 4WD! As was mentioned before, if you are on your driveway, you need to get the Jeep somewhere to allow the wheels to spin. Do you have snow? If not, get your driveway really wet, and the street because if you back out, you will have to turn the wheels (not good). Back up and down the street without turning the wheels. If you can't do this, do you have access to jack stands? Try to disengage with the front wheels off of the ground, then the rears, then all four. :orangehat:

Mongo
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I know very few people who regret having purchase jack-stands, see if you can rent them, maybe the local auto-store will have them for loan.

No better way to garuantee no binding then to put the vehicle up on 4 jackstands, all 4 wheels in the air, to remove all binding.

SAL-XK
12-13-2010, 11:29 AM
So we have identified that the 4wd low will engage and disengaged while at a slow roll or while stopped. I agree also. Anyone else out there, surely there has to be one more person that agrees with what has been said multiple times before! Anyone???

Now back to the subject, do you hear the servo attempting to actuate? If not have you checked the fuse?

Really, your going to poke fun at people mentioning the procedure over and over then ask the exact same question I did already. :stickpoke:

Can you here the motor trying to come out of 4Lo? Just a though check the fuse related to the system not sure which one it is but you can look it up.

06h
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Really, your going to poke fun at people mentioning the procedure over and over then ask the exact same question I did already. :stickpoke:

Yep I did. Figured why not, shifting procedure keep coming up ever other post maybe if we keep repeating other posts other ideas will sink in!

So what about the fuses, maybe one could be blown?

jeep5253
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Don't feed the TROLL !

SAL-XK
12-13-2010, 05:39 PM
the other weekend while at uwharrie one of the guys shut his TJ off and couldn't get it started again just out of the blue. After some thought we checked a few fuses that could relate and they were all good. Then I told him just check all his fuses to be safe. We then found the cluster fuse was blown swapped it out and it started right up. The point don't over look fuses especially when stuff seems to break out of the blue with no warning of failure.

GPintheMitten
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Good point on the fusing, Sal.

smith1
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your advise, but still stuck in 4low. Yes,I've checked all fuses underdash and underhood, all good. No, I was driveing on dry pavement, we have been covered in snow for like two weeks now.I call the dealer were I bought it from and they agreed to tow it there and fix it for free. So, I will let everyone know what happens. thank you

USMCMP
12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
anxious to figure out what the problem is/was

07JeepXK
12-14-2010, 06:30 AM

I wasnt agreeing with anyone. I was simply stating that my Commander WILL NOT shift into 4 low the way the owners manual states you need to engage it.

jeep5253
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I wasnt agreeing with anyone. I was simply stating that my Commander WILL NOT shift into 4 low the way the owners manual states you need to engage it.
Don't feed the TROLL !

07JeepXK
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Im sorry, but when someone straight up calls me out there will be a response coming back.

jeep5253
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Im sorry, but when someone straight up calls me out there will be a response coming back.
Let's not give him the satisfaction of getting a response of any kind. Maybe he will go away if everybody ignores him.

GPintheMitten
12-14-2010, 04:37 PM

He was being rude, as far as I'm concerned.

dhh3
12-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your advise, but still stuck in 4low. Yes,I've checked all fuses underdash and underhood, all good. No, I was driveing on dry pavement, we have been covered in snow for like two weeks now.I call the dealer were I bought it from and they agreed to tow it there and fix it for free. So, I will let everyone know what happens. thank you

I hope I'm not too late, but make sure they put the Jeep on a flat bed truck, and not actually tow it since it is stuck in 4Lo. :orangehat:

06h
12-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Let's not give him the satisfaction of getting a response of any kind. Maybe he will go away if everybody ignores him.

:rofl:

Its the linkage bushing.

My appoligies if comment came off as rude. How many times can the same statement be made before the point is made. Once again my apologies to the sensitive individuals.

GPintheMitten
12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Whenever someone apologizes to "sensitive" people, the apology isn't real. So pound sand.

jeep5253
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/454/dbe/454dbe4b-6a87-4e0d-8c0d-5ff7b6ca9569

smith1
12-16-2010, 09:11 PM
talk to the dealer to day. they replaced the 4low switch,they stated it had power in no power out but, that didn't work so they call a jeep dealer, they said jeep is awere of the problem and they ordered the partsto fix it, what it is I don't know but will find out.
thank you

smith1
12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, after a week and a half finally got the jeep back. they replaced the 4 low switch and the t-case acturater.now all is right.
thank you for your input.

dhh3
12-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm glad everything worked out for you. It sucks being Jeepless for a week and a half - believe me, I know! Did they cover this for you? :icon_confused:

07JeepXK
12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Glad they figured everything out for you. I was thinking it had something do do with the actuator when you mentioned it went into 4 low on its own.

Mongo
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, that actuator just moves a rod going into the transfer case? Would it had been possible to pull the actuator off and manually move the rod and get the XFR Case back into 4 High?

I'm thinking trail fix here, to get by until you can get a new actuator motor and fix it right.

smith1
12-23-2010, 03:49 PM
yes they covered under their warrenty, and the acturated is mounted so the head is inside the t-case,there is no arm unless it is inside.