OEM Spark Plugs - 5.7 Hemi [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: OEM Spark Plugs - 5.7 Hemi

Beeven
01-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm sure this has been listed here before, but I've searched and cant find it. Anyone know what the OEM spark plugs are for the 5.7 Hemi? I dont want upgrades (platinum, iridium) since I've heard they cause stalling/engine shudder problems.

Matt_
01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
If no one else gets to it ill post up the info after work today. I actually had to buy them from the dealer since my local parts stores were out of the part number I needed..... I think I paid an extra $2 per plug line that which sucks.... but $32 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things when considering engine maintenance IMO.

Beeven
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks in advance Matt. If you have a link to a site that carries it would be much appreciated too.

lekmedm
01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
The OEM plugs are Champion copper cores. I looked them up on sparkplugs.com, and they say it's part # RE14MCC4.

Good luck!

XKJeep06
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'll vouch about this one. I had done the switch to Autolite Plantinums, and was sorely experiencing the lack of mpg improvements and some hesitations. The car ran stronger when I switched back to OEM Champion coppers.

Matt_
01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Can't seem to find my receipt... but they're just the Champion Copper plugs that lekmedm posted. Pep Boys has them for $1.69 each but they only had 11 in stock when i went.

I guess they rarely carry more than 16 of the same plugs at a time :mofo: (i'll just buy them in advance next time... they get parts delivered every few days so i'll buy them out twice in a row :rofl:)

Mongo
01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
The wasted spark system, where 2 plugs share one coil, one of the plugs have a reverse current flow, that reverses anode/cathode, and in a case of a single platinum plug, half of them will transfer the softer steel to the platinum with the current, eating away the plug faster than if it was just plain steel on both sides.

You need to use double platinum, where there is platinum on both sides of the spark, with these kinds of ignition systems. BUT, like people have been posting, for the Commander and other Chrysler vehicles, with this kind of ignition, some have found that other than the specific OEM plug can NOT be as reliable or cause problems.

MarineMatt
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I just bought a 2007 Commander Hemi Limited, it has 51k on it, I was told that I needed to change the spark plugs at 60k??? currently I'm getting 18.5pmg on the highway AND 14-15MPG around town... in atlanta!!!! I'm very happy with the milage.... do I really need to change the plugs at 60k??

lekmedm
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
The wasted spark system, where 2 plugs share one coil, one of the plugs have a reverse current flow, that reverses anode/cathode, and in a case of a single platinum plug, half of them will transfer the softer steel to the platinum with the current, eating away the plug faster than if it was just plain steel on both sides.

You need to use double platinum, where there is platinum on both sides of the spark, with these kinds of ignition systems. BUT, like people have been posting, for the Commander and other Chrysler vehicles, with this kind of ignition, some have found that other than the specific OEM plug can NOT be as reliable or cause problems.

Wow! Thanks for the education. :) I have a question... How do iridium plugs work? I'll be sure if I choose platinums next time to go with double plats.

:orangehat:

lekmedm
02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I just bought a 2007 Commander Hemi Limited, it has 51k on it, I was told that I needed to change the spark plugs at 60k??? currently I'm getting 18.5pmg on the highway AND 14-15MPG around town... in atlanta!!!! I'm very happy with the milage.... do I really need to change the plugs at 60k??

I'm no mechanic, and certainly not any kind of authority in all things automotive, but my approach has always been that regular maintenance per the owner's manual is "cheap" insurance that you will avoid potential problems or premature wear of your vehicle. I try to do as much of the work myself to keep costs down.

So, if the plugs were never changed, IMO, you are due.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

:orangehat:

MarineMatt
02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
THANKS! I look forward to changing this jeep withing the next year or so... I used to have a 76 CJ5 with a 304ci and 3 speed..... "i miss it" however according to the wife I have to grow up a bit.... I do plan on eventually putting a lift on it.... does anyone make anything bigger thana 2 inch?? I was wanting to get atleast 4 to 6 inch.. I'm even willing to do a solid axle converion if needed... " I have to apoligise, i know very little about this jeep thus far... I need all the help that I can get with this one...

Matt_
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
... does anyone make anything bigger thana 2 inch?? I was wanting to get atleast 4 to 6 inch.. I'm even willing to do a solid axle converion if needed... " I have to apoligise, i know very little about this jeep thus far... I need all the help that I can get with this one...

Check out Rustys Offroad. They have a pretty good 4" kit. The only downfall is the OEM struts are reused. ....BUT King is supposedly developing coilovers for us that would work great with the 4" lift.

jeep5253
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I do plan on eventually putting a lift on it.... does anyone make anything bigger thana 2 inch?? I was wanting to get atleast 4 to 6 inch
See this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393)

POLARIS PRO
04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Is there a write up for changing the plugs in a 5.7L Hemi? I used the search but only found write-ups for the non Hemi's.

Is it very difficult, and are there 2 sets of plugs on the Hemi? Sorry I am a rookie with Mopar.

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Is there a write up for changing the plugs in a 5.7L Hemi? I used the search but only found write-ups for the non Hemi's.

Is it very difficult, and are there 2 sets of plugs on the Hemi? Sorry I am a rookie with Mopar.

06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/customavatars/avatar3791_1.gif (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/member.php?u=3791)AJGuy84 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/member.php?u=3791)
Senior Member http://img.autoforums.com/site-styles/jeepcommander.com/images/misc/level/green_right.gif

My $.02:

Changing the HEMI's plugs is not "Hard", just time consuming. My service tech at Jeep (Barry Barret @ Moore in Peoria is just great) told me most of the cost is labor. I was quoted around $300 also.

My advice:

Have someone help you out. One person can start taking the boots off, and the other can follow around and swap and gap the plugs. Removing and replacing the boots is kind of a pain, but getting the correct angle to wrench the plugs out on the driver rear cylinder is the trick. My neighbor loaned me a tool that is just for this task, and it worked great, although not 100% necessary:
http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/37692.jpg
I believe this was about $5 at Checker.

The #1 fact is:

Unless you are a complete idiot and don't know what a gapper or a boot is, you can't mess this up. Took me about 2 hours with a friends help. Good Luck! :)

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:10 PM
...and are there 2 sets of plugs on the Hemi? Sorry I am a rookie with Mopar.
Yes, 2 plugs per cylinder -- 16 total.

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:16 PM
5.7L V8 HEMI (2005-2008)
(standard on Overland, optional on Limited)

Type: RE14MCC4
(Champion 570)

OEM P/N SPRE14MCC4

MSRP: $4.10 ea.

.045 in. gap

1" reach, 5/8" Hex head Torque to 12-14 Ft. lbs.* * Torque critical tapered design. Do not exceed 15 ft. lbs.

POLARIS PRO
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. I am not going to pay $300 for someone else to do it. Hopefully it will just cost me a little time, and maybe some beer.

POLARIS PRO
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I believe this was about $5 at Checker.

Where??????????

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
TheoNTheo (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/member.php?u=15398)

I changed my plugs in about 2 1/2 hours. The first 20 minutes was to get familiar with how to do it and carefully remove the first ignition box (the hardest one, near the battery). The next hurdle was figuring out the correct socket extensions, since the wells are deep. My new favorite tool is a 3/8 inch heater hose I replaced on my chevy malibu. I used the 8" long rubber hose to insert over the spark plugs to remove them from the wells. I also used this hose to protect the porcelin on the new plugs while easing them into the wells and turning them hand tight. The best combination of socket extensions I found to be two, 2" extensions. On the cylinders that are obstructed by the fuse block, or other hoses, I was able to hold the plug socket in place, slip a 2" extension, slide it down (don't drop it, it will go below the well), and add another 2" extension. I then used a ratchet to remove & replace the plugs. On the cylincers with no obstructions, a 6" extension is ok. I avoided using swivel sockets, since i read that they actually put a lateral force on the plug and could sheer the plug if a lot of pressure is used. I used anti-sieze compound on the threads and permatex dielectric grease on the plugs. I found a 3 ounce pressurized can of grease at Advance Auto for $10 (better than the $3.79 price of 0.33 oz). I used the champion 570 plugs, since they are the OEM plugs and don't plan on going more than 30,000 miles until the next change. I also read a lot of bad things on other dodge/jeep/chrysler forums when people used other than resistor plugs on their HEMI's. Another tip, is ensure you back the bolts all the way out on the ignition boxes. Once you start to pry them off, don't force them, some threads may still be caught on the block, you may need to turn them again once the ignition box moves a little bit. You should also use a torque wrench 18NM or 12-15 ft-pounds is not too tight, it would be very easy to damage the plugs or threads if you go too tight.

Some prices: Auto zone has the champion 570 plugs for $1.59. Advance Auto has them for $1.99. If you print out the internet price from Autozone, you can take it to advance auto and they will match the prices. As an added bonus, Advance Auto has a $5.99 coupon you can use (if the manager is nice and lets you do the price match and coupon at the same time). 16 plugs for $22 (with tax). Sweet!!!!

I learned a lot from this forum in such a short time, I hope this helps.

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Where??????????
I don't know. I'm just finding the info for you and posting it.

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 10:39 PM
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
brendon (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/member.php?u=12903)

Welcome TnT,

It is real easy. All 16 plugs are on top. Each cylinder has one coil pack connecting to twoplugs side by side. All you have to do is pull off the plastic engine cover - pretty much just straight up then out, IIRC. all eight coilpacks covering the sixteen plugs are now more or less accessible.

I took a bunch of pictures when i did mine, but there are a few I can't remember why I took them. Here's a link to an album with them all in order. You'll need to search for the torque specs because I don't remember them and am too lazy to find them right now. The plugs require a low torque and the range is small, over torquing is BAD.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../hemi%20plugs/ (http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/brendotvr6/hemi%20plugs/)

POLARIS PRO
04-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm hoping that I can figure it out. I have never had plugs without the plug wires.

Thanks for all the info.

POLARIS PRO
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks Jeep5253, you must be the master of the search button. I appreciate all of your help!

jeep5253
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks Jeep5253, you must be the master of the search button. I appreciate all of your help!
You are welcome !

madcom
06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
just wonder if i was to go with the champion Double Platinum or Iridium
is recommended for Waste Spark Ignition
(Original Equipment Manufacturer and/or Original Equipment Equivalent)
per champion's web page if anybody has use them and how well did they
do in the 5.7,just looking to get into a better plug then old standard
copper head plug for longer life span. please advice. thanks