Engine light comes on when its really cold outside! [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Engine light comes on when its really cold outside!

etobicoke
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
hey can anyone help?

I own a 2006 4.7 jeep commander. When i start my jeep in the morning when it's like -20c my engine light comes on. Later on in the day,when it warms up a bit it goes out. The error codes are U 0114 , u 0110 A ,U 1411
Just wondering what they mean,should I take it in and/or will it be covered under the original powertrain warranty(which expires in Febuary).

superacerc
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
U0114 Lost Communication With Four-Wheel Drive Clutch Control Module

U0110 Lost Communication With Drive Motor Control Module

U1411 Implausible Fuel Volume Signal ReceivedPossible Causes Setting Conditions

Sounds like some generic electrical malfunctions. Don't know why the cold would cause it.

Mongo
01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Cold has been know to effect gas gauge readings and response.

Temperature can have a huge effect on resistance and current flow in many materials.

Chrysler tests and develops the vehicles to work normally within expected temperature extremes, so they have made any adjustments necessary so that those items work at cold temperatures. I would think -4F would be within the operating temp of the vehicle, but I don't know for sure.

My guess, like anytime you operate at the extreme, it exposes the weakness's. Might be dirt or water in or a weak connector in the 4WD system electronics, maybe a weak or badly calibrated fuel level sensor in the fuel tank.

Just has to be a little thing, that degrades performance just a bit that you never notice, until you hit extreme cold and then its just enough to tip it over as the PCM being able to notice its NOT operating as it should, "at that temp".

2006blackcommanderloaded
01-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I am now having similar problems. I drove my son to school this morning at -25 celcius and the electronics started to flicker on and off. This included the headlights, heater fan, rear heater and fan, radio, and even the dash gauges. After this happened on and off for a minute or so the traction control kicked in thinking that the right front tire was spinning and it was not. Luckily I was only going 10 kmph. Now if that werent enough the check engine light is on. What in the world would cause such strangeness? Could it be a cold/improperly functioning battery?

Mike

Mongo
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Mechanical electrics, like relays, swithes, motors, etc, as voltage drops they just slow down or get weaker with the voltage.

Semi-Conductor, solid-state, electronic, transistors, computers, integrated circuit chips, etc, the semi-conductors in the circuits often a require a certain "gate" voltage for them to operate. Voltage drops below that "gate", the current won't flow through the particular semi-conductor component in the circuit and the circuit won't react like it should.

That is why, newer vehicles with more computers controlling everything, if voltage drops on the system, you get all sorts of random and weird reactions from the vehicle.

Cold increases the current draw of most electric items, Cold causes most owners to turn on more electrical equipment, like blower motor, defrost, AC for defrost, heated seats, etc, drawing even more current.

Draw more current than the alternator can supply, then the voltage will drop. It drops below the battery voltage, then the battery will start supplying current, and help the system out, but as the battery drains its voltage will drop and let the voltage of the whole system drop.

The motor at idle, like sitting at a light or in a traffic jam, also runs the alternator slower and it produces less current and makes it even more likely for voltage to drop with all the electric items on.

I'm really disappointed that Chrysler, and most of the Manufacturers, they no longer include electrical or oil gauges in their vehicles. I guess they figured the owner just didn't understood what they meant, therefore were a waste of time. BUT, if you had an electrical gauge, you could have been able to tell what was happening with the electrical system and could tell if your problem was merely supply vs demand problem.

That is the likely cause of the randomness, if you could tell your electrical system was drooping under the load, that would confirm.

Did the "Battery Light" come on at all? That is suppose to come on when the electric system voltage drops below 9 Volts, as well as other things.

etobicoke
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I haven't had the the battery light come on, but the engine light comes on right away when i start my jeep up in the morning. When I'm done work I'll start it up again and it will come on again, I ussually boot around getting the kids. then I'll start it up again to go pick up the wife and the engine light won't come on again till the next morning(if its cold out). I was thinking maybe I should disconnect the battery to clear the error codes,maybe it wouldn't come back on. I just don't want to go running to the dealership if I REALLY don't have to.

thanks for your input

Mongo
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I haven't had the the battery light come on, but the engine light comes on right away when i start my jeep up in the morning....
Yea, its superacerc that sounds like he simple is running into a current supply problem, and draining down the battery in cold weather with all the electric features on because its so cold.

Your problem is sounding like sensors, electrical devices, connectors, or even just one connector that all three have in common, is suffering some sort of reaction to the severe cold.

If you can track down the one connector all three have in common, or even just the two, which might just be the connector to the trans and clean it up, maybe put some die-electric greases in it, that might help.

Gas gauges might be unrelated to the other two, the fuel level sensors are notorous in just about all vehicle, for NOT being calibrated well, and being susceptible to cold. I'm guessing you just have a fuel level sender that is more poorly calibrated than average and the cold is enough to send it over the line into way out of calibration and the PCM notices and drops a DTC about it. Again, just a guess, but I'm thinking you'd have to recalibrate that sender.

2006blackcommanderloaded
01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you very much Mongo. What you stated above makes total sense for me and my situation. To clear the check engine error code am I to just disconnect the battery or is there a less electrifying way to do this?

Thanks again!

love my commander
02-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I am in uk and had this the other month when it was cold, not as low as -20C though. ran a cp;e mi;es light still on and engine sluggish.
Switched off and back on everything as normal not had it since
Dealer claims it is a known problem when very cold something to do with ice on an actuator, thats why it clears once engine begins to warm up.

Just one other thing An alternator puts out full charge at tickover they are not like the old generators which needed to be up at 3,000rpm for full charge.

They produce a.c. which is rectified to d.c. thatis why all motors now have alternators not generators to supply electrical power

Hope this helps

love my commander
02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Just to clarify my post mine was not the egine light but the electronic throttle warning light

Sorry about not making that clear

jay in nb
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
You shouldn't have to disconnect the bty, i have owned mine for 2 years and the cold in these parts have made the check engine light come on a few times, later during the day or a while after driving it will go off, -25 to -35 is hard on any vehicle.