Transmission Problem - No power [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Transmission Problem - No power

bsweasel
05-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I've done a ton of searching and reading and have not found the same problem I'm having.

2007 Commander w/ the 3.7

Wife reports loss of power at normal drive speeds. No strange lights around gear indicators, not CEL, no ESP lights. Turning engine off and on fixes. Drives normal for a while. Has been happening every couple days for a couple weeks. Key dance shows no codes.

Today: Driving....clunk...and CEL is on. Now it appears as if it will not shift gears. Shifts into Reverse and Drive with a little more force than normal. + and - will not change gears, idicator show [D]. Engine will stutter if you stomp on it while in Reverse or Drive. Engine Rev's normal in Neutral. Again Key dance shows no codes.

Turned off traction control (ESP) by holding button, no change.

Reading a ton about the ESM, so I thought, I'd try the contact cleaning trick. No dice. Since I have two 2007 Commanders. I decided to try the ESM from my other one, same problem. Also reset computer by removing Ground from Batt.... no change.

Wondering if the speed sensors could be issue? Or does anyone have any ideas?

Going to try and get a OBDII reader tomorrow and see if it throws a code.

HELP!!!

USMCMP
05-13-2011, 11:33 PM
just going off of what you have posted you are way ahead of my tech ability. Someone will post some advice tomorrow I am sure. My trans went into limp mode. It was a solenoid or transmission control module or something pricey at the dealer. No lights no nothing but the dash showed "3" rather than "D" so I knew it right away. I also have the 5.7 so different trans I am pretty sure.

Good Luck

bsweasel
05-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Update: OBD2 Code reader lists P2767 - Input /Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit No Signal. And another P2767 as pending. No other codes. Erase codes, jeep drives normal. So is this thing right? do I have a flakey Input speed sensor?

bsweasel
05-14-2011, 08:54 PM
So I guess I'm the only one with this problem. I've been doing more reading on the NAG 1 and have called a friend of mine who is a transmission mechanic in NY. And I think it truly is a speed sensor. I found another thread in the charger forums on this topic. So now it looks like I'm looking for this part.

52108308AB

Then I think I'll be doing the valve body drop like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7pDR83d_E

mmartin
05-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I have the 4.7 and towed my 3500 lb boat with it for the first time. Did not tow very good, tranny shifts abnormal, no power and tranny got very hot after pulling. It has the class IV hitch and tranny cooler. Plus my running lights on the trailer wont work with the jeep but works on my wifes ford edge. Tranny shifts way too fast under normal driving, but when you want to pick up speed will not down shift until basically push the pedal all the way down. Anyone have any ideas there are no codes

Robk
07-31-2011, 07:44 AM
I have the 4.7 and towed my 3500 lb boat with it for the first time. Did not tow very good, tranny shifts abnormal, no power and tranny got very hot after pulling. It has the class IV hitch and tranny cooler. Plus my running lights on the trailer wont work with the jeep but works on my wifes ford edge. Tranny shifts way too fast under normal driving, but when you want to pick up speed will not down shift until basically push the pedal all the way down. Anyone have any ideas there are no codes

I am having the same issue with my '06 4.7 with 39k. I tow a boat around 3000 lb in a hilly area. Transmission seems to shift to higher gear too soon and too often. Driving it, you would never know there's a V8 under the hood. Another issue I notice is upon a cold start, slight delay with reverse/drive engaging.
I fear expensive tranny work in the next 20k.

Haven't checked for codes and no cel on or mil.

robby
07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Robk,
Are you towing with the switch in the tow/haul mode?

If not, this mode will hold the lower gears longer and prevent torque converter lockup.

Regarding the gear engagement delay.....there is a old TSB alerting the dealers of this condition.
It can be caused by the plastic trans filter being cracked, allowing air into the trans oil pump.
The resultant low pressure causes a delayed engagement.
There is a updated replacement.

Also, you did not mention tire size......still stock?
A larger tire diameter will kill available torque.

Just some thoughts,
Rob

Robk
08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm running 255/70/17 with the 2" Rusty's lift. The sluggishness started before the lift/tires.
I have the same issues without the trailer. I use the trailer/tow switch when I have the boat on the back.

I didn't know about the TSB, I will have to look into it. I'm out of warranty, does anyone have an idea on the cost of that service? Would this have an effect on power or just shift engagement?

thanks

robby
08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, your tire size shouldn't throw it off much.
The cracked filter mentioned in the TSB will cause engagement delays.
If it was causing a internal pressure the trans would slip.....you don't indicate anything like that.
The cost would be identicle to a normal trans service (not a flush....thats a no-no).
So, drop pan, replace filters, install pan, fill trans as needed, TSB now completed.

Now, the sluggishness thing.....Remove enouph of the intake tubing to let you see and touch the throttle bellcrank on the throttle body........Uh, this after you have verified the air filter and airbox inlet are not restricted.
Have someone hold the gas pedal to the floor.......at that time, see if you can open the throttle body further......if not, reinstall intake bits.
If you can open it further, most likely the gas pedal is bent, restricting movement.
About once every year or two I run into this.....the cause is always the same.....a mouse has died around the throttle body and become rock hard.
First time you floor it, the restricted gas pedal bends down and now you only have half to three quarter throttle.
Something to look at.

The other possibility is a restricted exaust system......a bent tailpipe with a kink, pipes mud packed, or lastly, one or both catalysts partially melted down.
None of these will set a code, not even the catalyst thing

A mechanic will have to operate the vehicle with a vacuum gauge taped to the windshield....this way he can see how the vacuum changes with throttle position.
Lazy gauge movements mean a restriction is somewhere.
If the gauge readings are poor, the next step is to operate the vehicle with the gauge still attached but the exaust aft of the cats, unbolted and supported.
If gauge movements are sharp and instant, there is a restriction somewhere in the system...most likely a baffle has broken inside the muffler and exaust pressure has jammed it into a internal inlet.

If the gauge still is lazy, remove both cats and road test....save this till afternoon, it really annoys the neighbors.

If the gauge readings don't change and power is still poor, you are now looking at a cam timing issue.......I doubt if it would get that far.

Good luck,
Rob

Robk
08-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will tackle one step at a time. When I take it in for the transmission tsb,(I'm 10k over the tranny service anyway) I will have the mechanic take a test drive to see what he thinks of the power. He should have a good knowledge base to compare it with other V-8's.

Briandl
08-06-2011, 04:05 PM
There was also a problem with the drainback valve in one of the filters that would allow the fluid to drain out causing a delay until the filter filled back up with fluid, usually happens when it's been sitting for a while.

Just make sure they replace both filters if you have two, and make sure they are MOPAR filters.

3rd gear stuck
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
My 2006 Commander with 135,000 is suddenly going into 3 instead of D...... Help! to me it sound like the ECM that was recalled in 08... have seen alot of post.... but now what? Don't want to pay dealership $900.... and still not be fixed