Transmission dipstick ?. [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Transmission dipstick ?.

LIKEIT
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I recently purchase a 07 jeep commander and only to find out there is no transmission dipstick in these jeep. So i'm looking to buy a transmission dipstick if any one has one for sale, or know where i can get one to buy. I check with the dealer, and some of them are saying there is no dip stick for that jeep:thinkerg:. But on u\tube i saw someone change there T\mission fluid and they have a dipstick in place of the plug. Thanks for any info.:bye:

a49erFan
09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
There is no dipstick, YouTube must have been a different vehicle.

Matt_
09-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Stolen from another forum (KK)

There is one available.
https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=847
Or http://www.etoolcart.com/chrysler-dip-stick-gauge-9336-a.aspx
Quote from the repair manual;
"The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct."
Another couple of quotes from the SM;
"The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed."
"Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running.
Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull outagain, read off oil level, repeat if necessary."
One of the keys to using it is, that you need to be able to monitor the transmission fluid temperature. The reading on the dipstick will vary quite a bit with every 10 Deg. warmer or cooler.
Trany fluid Level 42rle
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/Scar0/Other/TranyfluidLevel.jpg

Without a scan-gauge tool it would be difficult to determine the temperature of the fluid.
However, if I had an automatic and the fluid level was somewhere in the upper-mid to upper range on the dipstick, once the transmission is warm, I would be comfortable with that.
On level ground of course.
But I must caution anyone about doing this on your own. I have merely supplied some information and my opinions here.
I am not responsible for how you use this information, or any possible damage that may occur from you not servicing your vehicle properly.

Now if someone were to get a dipstick, have there trany serviced by a dealer, and then imediatly check the level. We would have some "Real" numbers to go by...

Mongo
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Commanders came with 2 different transmissions, according to what engine you have.

The V6 has the Mercedes W5A580, which has no dipstick, just a plastic cap on the tube for the dipstick.

The V8's have the Chrysler 545RFE, which has a diptick.

So the descrapancy you see is likely from two different transmissions that could be in your Commander.

The Mercedes W5A580 does have a special tool that is a dipstick, to check fluid level. The trans is very sensative to fluid level, more so than other trans, so they make it a Dealer/Shop service item only and do NOT include a dipstick.

You can find the dipstick tool on e-bay and other places, it is a tool, NOT designed to stay in the trans like other dipsticks. You pull the cap and put it down the tube and a good portion still sticks out after it bottoms out. So no, after you get the special tool, you can't leave it in the trans like its a regular dipstick.

The procedure for checking the trans fluid level is to use the dealer starscan tool, or another enhanced scan tool that can access the electronics of the trans and read the trans temp from the sensor. Then look up the proper fluid level vs temperature from a table in the FSM, you can find them on the internet as well, and measure that level with the special tool. (See why they made it a dealer/shop only service item.)

If you don't have an enhanced scan tool that can read transmission sensors, you may be able to still use the special tool dipstick, using an accurate temp measure tool against the trans fluid pan.

LIKEIT
09-28-2011, 02:59 PM
THXS for the info! guys.

bob123
09-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I wonder if transmission shops have a scan tool (equivalent to Starscan) to measure the fluid level.

Note: The W5A580 may be referred to as NAG1. This transmission has a silver oil pan while the 545RFE has a black pan.

Mongo
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I wonder if transmission shops have a scan tool (equivalent to Starscan) to measure the fluid level.

Note: The W5A580 may be referred to as NAG1. This transmission has a silver oil pan while the 545RFE has a black pan.
There are all sorts of scan tools, with all sorts of different levels of capability. Only Starscan is the proprietary tool for Chrysler vehicles, no other tool has the ability to do every thing for your Chrysler vehicle.

Most transmissions shops will have a tool capable of reading and doing most of the basic stuff they'll need to do, but don't rule out they, or you, will still have to take the vehicle to the dealer.

No scan tool can tell the transmission fluid level, there are no sensors for that. The scantool is too read the sensors that measure the fluid temperature. You need the dipstick tool to read the fluid level.

Yes, the W5A580 is also the NAG1.

jepstr67
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't it be a rule that all Jeeps need to be simple enough to examine/diagnose by hand and repair out in the middle of nowhere? This kind of complexity is not better.

lekmedm
10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
The V6 has the Mercedes W5A580, which has no dipstick, just a plastic cap on the tube for the dipstick.

I read on a Mercedes forum a bit about some transmissions. I don't know if it was the same one, but there was an E class that I was reading about that didn't have the dipstick. There is a special one you can buy, but it's only purpose is for measuring the amount of fluid in the tranny after filling. When the tranny is filled, that dipstick is removed and the tube is capped.

If you buy a dipstick, DON'T LEAVE IT IN!!!

:)

05Ramsrtkid
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Just came across this thread and Im amazed. I knew there wasnt a dipstick but didnt know that there was a special tool to check it and that my v6 has a Mercedes Trans. My father also just recently purchased an 06 commander and he was livid about there being no dipstick.. of course new things and technology scare him. good to know if I do get a dipstick not to leave it in. Ill pass the word on.

graywolf
10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Yea and try being in Germany with a leaky trans....

graywolf
10-13-2011, 03:42 AM
Ok has anyone thought about just using an aftermarket trans temp gauge.... I know someone posted a pic of kind of a cheater chart, so with that and the gauge I would think you could get it close enough.

bob123
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Search engine is your friend.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5253

Mongo
10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I read on a Mercedes forum a bit about some transmissions. I don't know if it was the same one, but there was an E class that I was reading about that didn't have the dipstick. There is a special one you can buy, but it's only purpose is for measuring the amount of fluid in the tranny after filling. When the tranny is filled, that dipstick is removed and the tube is capped.

If you buy a dipstick, DON'T LEAVE IT IN!!!

:)
Like I said earlier, but it was a long post:

You can find the dipstick tool on e-bay and other places, it is a tool, NOT designed to stay in the trans like other dipsticks. You pull the cap and put it down the tube and a good portion still sticks out after it bottoms out. So no, after you get the special tool, you can't leave it in the trans like its a regular dipstick.

I've seen two different kinds of dipstick tools for the Mercedes trans on e-bay, the one I got "appears to be better quality" but I haven't seen the other up close. Mine has the circular handle, the other seems to have a triangular handle.

I believe the W5A580 is pretty much the same as the Mercedes 722.6 trans, you search for the 722.6 tool, and that should work with the W5A580/NAG1.

Yea and try being in Germany with a leaky trans....
If you have the W5A580/NAG1 trans, you should be just fine. Take it to any Mercedes shop or shop used to Mercedes and tell them it is a Mercedes 722.6. Especially with my impression of German Mechanics, they should be more than capable of dealing with a Mercedes Trans that is just slightly different in a Chrysler Vehicle. The only problem may be the electronics access, like all the manufacturers, Chrysler made that proprietary, so their electronic diagnostic tools might NOT work on your Chrysler Vehicle.

Just came across this thread and Im amazed. I knew there wasnt a dipstick but didnt know that there was a special tool to check it and that my v6 has a Mercedes Trans. My father also just recently purchased an 06 commander and he was livid about there being no dipstick.. of course new things and technology scare him. good to know if I do get a dipstick not to leave it in. Ill pass the word on.
Tell your dad, they did this, because this new Mercedes Trans has all sorts of new design features to reduce drag and friction on the internals to get better fuel mileage. This results in a trans that is very sensative to being overfilled, more so than other transmissions. To set the proper fluid level requires to do it within the centimeter according to the level for the temperature of the fluid. Basically, Mercedes believed the owner is far more likely to screw up the fluid level then it was for it too leak and need to be filled. Thus it is capped, and you bring it to the dealer that uses the proprieatary electronic diagnostic tool to measure the fluid temp with the internal temp sensors, and they use a special tool dipstick to measure the fluid level to them Millimeter based off the fluid level vs temp chart.

Reading the temp might be doable with some tools other than the Dealer Tool, so you may NOT be stuck with only going to the dealer for fluid service or top off. Personally, I do it myself, and NOT to brag, but I'm better than your average shade tree mechanic, and average shade tree mechanic might run into problems with how precise this fluid level has to be.

Yea, if your Father figures out how Chrysler has manipulated the electronics and their access, he'd probably have a stroke. NOT all, but a majority of the repairs, service and modifications you do on the vehicle will be proprietary, and only being accessed by the dealer diagnostic tool, Chrysler saw to it, that it was just impractical for anyone but the dealer to own one. So, even though you bought the vehicle, its pretty close that you have a virtual lease with Chrysler, and have to keep going back to the Chrysler dealership for every little thing.

All the manufacturers are doing this crap, it just seems Chrysler has gone from being the most customer friendly in this regard compared to the others, to being the opposite and least customer friendly when it comes to open access to your vehicle service/repair and modification.

graywolf
10-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Well I mentioned it because everyone was saying that you have to have a special tool and wether or not other ones would work. Just seemed to me would be easier to just get a temp gauge...

Mongo
10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Well I mentioned it because everyone was saying that you have to have a special tool and wether or not other ones would work. Just seemed to me would be easier to just get a temp gauge...
I think you can get around using a temp gauge, but yea, I personally like the idea of temp gauge in any heavy vehicle or a vehicle that puts a lot of stress on its transmission. I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with the original trans @ 187k miles, when most of these vehicles have the trans burn up every 60k miles, because I put a temp gauge in it and monitored it to keep the trans temps down. So, yes, you get a double benefit.

Another thing I do when changing the trans fluid on the W5A580/NAG1, I measure how much fluid I drained out of it. I used a windshield washer fluid jug, an empty oil qt bottle, and a sharpy. Poured qts of water into the jug from the oil bottle, marked it off. I poured the drained fluid into the jug, measue how much I drained out and ONLY add that amount of fluid to the trans after I put it together. I still measure the level properly, using my trans temp gauge and the special tool, because if you have a leak, this method could be off, but I haven't had any leaks and the level is dead on the first try every time.

Of course a always spill a bit when changing the pan, but its turns out its only a few onces, a few ounces of oil can make a pretty big puddle.

graywolf
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Yea mine actually has a leak and the fluid cost about 70 bucks a gallon over here....