Hemi Oil (5W-20) [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Hemi Oil (5W-20)

seedsntrees
12-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Hello,

New Owner Here!

Just what weight and brand oil is everyone using in the HEMI?
5-20 or 5-30?

Thanks,

Great Forum!

jeep5253
12-28-2007, 11:57 PM
You MUST use 5W-20 in the HEMI. This weight is required for the MDS to work. I am using Castrol Full Synthetic.

curleycommander
12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
5253 is absolutely correct, if you don't use 5w-20 you will ruin your engine. I use Mobile 1, love it.

armax1980
12-29-2007, 09:00 AM
5253 is absolutely correct, if you don't use 5w-20 you will ruin your engine. I use Mobile 1, love it.

I wouldn't say ruin your engine, only the MDS won't be working right.

seedsntrees
12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
OK,

I got it and just read the manual.

Interesting that the engine would use such light weight oil.

Thanks,

XKJeep06
12-29-2007, 11:38 PM
I just use whatever the oil change shop carries, but 5W20, like Pennzoil, Valvoline or Chevron. It runs fine with regular oil.

lonestar
12-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I've heard stories of the Commander stalling with the MDS and wrong oil.

prudemonkey
12-30-2007, 11:03 AM
quick and interesting note - when I had the oil changed the first time (at a dealer btw), I noticed an immediate drop in fuel economy, vehicle ran and felt fine, but fuel eco. dropped to an appalling 12.7 mpg. After running maybe 3500 miles or so, we had it changed at my original dealer - and stressed that it have 5W20 (I was getting on their nerves I think) - my Hemi is back to providing about 14 mpg.

gremlinsteve
12-30-2007, 12:03 PM
mds will not operate with anything more than the 20 weight oil.

the motor will be fine with anything else tho. you need to make sure the shop that does that oil change will use the correct oil.

i use amsoil or mobil one.

steve

Hemi-Overland
12-30-2007, 08:01 PM
man, I'm paranoid now that my dealer may not put the right stuff in...even if by accident. I'll pay more attention on the next round. My mpg has been fine so far.

Wobhead
12-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Mobil 1 5W20 has been the oil for me. I buy the 5 qt bulk at Wal-Mart and supplement the balance needed for the oil change with the one quart bottles for an economical oil change.

Hemi-Overland
01-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Wobhead....fellow hotlantian here.

How often do you change your Mobile 1...3 or 6 months? I'm currently having the dealer do it with what ever they put in...Oil changes are included in the lease so I don't have to fork out the cash, which is nice.

kthrash
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Mobile 1 5W20

rem2506
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Mobil 1 from Walmart is what I use. The shop that does my oil changes told me that he can't buy Mobil 1 from his supplier for what Walmart sells it for. This also insures that the right weight oil is being used.

Herdfan
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Pennzoil Platinum

JJSEBASTIAN
06-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Wow. Mobile1 5W20. I can't believe so many of us run it! I change it and the filter every 5k.

Scott in Houston
06-18-2008, 07:47 AM
2 questions:

1) Why do you guys use a dealer to do the oil change?? I don't trust them for anything that's non-warranty, and you can hover over an oil change shop to make sure they're doing it right, where as the dealer probably won't let you watch.

2) Would you guys recommend the first oil change occur earlier, like 1000 miles or so?

Morgan
06-18-2008, 07:55 AM
2 questions:

1) Why do you guys use a dealer to do the oil change?? I don't trust them for anything that's non-warranty, and you can hover over an oil change shop to make sure they're doing it right, where as the dealer probably won't let you watch.

2) Would you guys recommend the first oil change occur earlier, like 1000 miles or so?

1) Personally, I figured if someone else was going to work on the engine for anything and a problem came up, they'd get me caught in the blame game hotbox. If I only take it to the dealership and a problem comes up, they can't blame it on anyone else.

2) Depends. How long was it sitting on the lot before you bought it? In any event I wouldn't go any longer than 3k miles.

Scott in Houston
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
1) Personally, I figured if someone else was going to work on the engine for anything and a problem came up, they'd get me caught in the blame game hotbox. If I only take it to the dealership and a problem comes up, they can't blame it on anyone else.

2) Depends. How long was it sitting on the lot before you bought it? In any event I wouldn't go any longer than 3k miles.

1) Good point. I hadn't considered that. I just don't see anything going wrong w/ a simple oil change if I'm watching 'em. Also, when it comes to warranty work, they have to prove that something else caused it with hard evidence. Generally speaking, never happens. :)

2) I have no idea how long it was, but guessing not too terribly long. I'll likely change it at 1500 miles just to be safe. It's cheap 'insurance'.

Rich08
06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey Scott - Greetings from a fellow Houston Overland owner. I changed my oil to Mobil 1 5W 20 and M1-210 filter at 1000 miles. As you said, cheap insurance.
What color is your Commander? I'll keep an eye out and wave -

Rich
2008 Overland Light Graystone

a49erFan
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Let's limit this thread to discussion on the Hemi 5W-20 oil, not oil changes, we have threads for that discussion.

Jax
03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
OK,, there has got to be so threads about engine oil, but I failed to find any.

My oil change indicator come on today, 2500 mile, and I changed oil. the book calls for 5W20 but I could not get a brand I liked in that weight so I bought Rotela 10W30, which had all the recommended qualities, and I use in all my other vehicles.

So the question is,, how important is the viscosity?

MMOPAR85
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM

My oil change indicator come on today, 2500 mile, and I changed oil. the book calls for 5W20 but I could not get a brand I liked in that weight so I bought Rotela 10W30, which had all the recommended qualities, and I use in all my other vehicles.

Yeah, there's numerous threads about which oils people run...none of them recommend anything other than 5W-20 due to the MDS on the HEMI, they say it messes with the cylinder deactivation...on the other hand, Rotella-t is a very good oil because of the high detergent content it has, it's has these detergents because it's intended for diesel use. I know of somebody who has run this oil in their truck along with Lucas every oil change, and has well over 200,000 and had it in the shop for a rebuild and was complemented by the machinist about how clean the valvetrain, and other engine parts were, he said it basically looked like a new motor! But I'd highly suggest you change your oil back to 5w-20, because it's recommended by Chrysler, won't ruin your warranty, and you'll get better MPG too!

jeep5253
03-04-2009, 08:19 PM

This is from the Owner's Manual. Apparently you didn't read it.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with 5.7L engines must use
5W–20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper
operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS).
Refer to “Multi Displacement System” in Section 5 of this
manual.

jeep5253
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Threads on HEMI oil:

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4463 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4463)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3558.html (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3558.html)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7811 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7811)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7915&page=2 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7915&page=2)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58421 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58421)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=23 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=23)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69858 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69858)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558&page=3 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558&page=3)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5018.html (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5018.html)

www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58755 (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58755)

Jax
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I just did not have the key words in my search,, LOL
So I will post on thios one too.
I read all the threads. It seem the conclusion that the world will come to an end if 5W20 is not used. I guess I will see. I used Rotela 10W30 because I really don't like Pennsylvania oil of any kind for obvious reasons.
I guess if this don't work I can go to with synthetic.

Anyway,, Thanks Jeep for reteving the threads. I will let you know what happens.

Yeggster
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah get ready for a severe drop in hiway milage :)

Get that stuff OUT and put some 5W20 in there.

Jax
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Well for some reason my "fuel saver" indicator is not comming on,
I don't thing the oil has anything to do with that. At least I hope not.

jeep5253
03-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Have you read anything in this thread ? The MDS will not work properly with any oil other than 5W-20. Which is why your fuel saver indicator is not coming on--you used the wrong oil.

GPintheMitten
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Better change your oil right away Jax. You don't want to break the MDS system. Much more expensive than an extra oil/filter change. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.

Yeggster
03-06-2009, 05:11 PM

You're joking right?

jeep5253
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Better change your oil right away Jax. You don't want to break the MDS system. Much more expensive than an extra oil/filter change. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.
I don't think it will break it. It just won't operate correctly.

GPintheMitten
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Oh, OK, I should have thought through that one a bit more.

Yeggster
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM

It's noto going to be GOOD for it though ... maybe it will cause damage???

For my money, the cost of a few quarts of oil is not worth taking the risk.

a49erFan
03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Have you read anything in this thread ? The MDS will not work properly with any oil other than 5W-20. Which is why your fuel saver indicator is not coming on--you used the wrong oil.

A man of very few words, but when he speaks... You better listen!

Jax
03-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I hate to second guess a decision like this, so i am going to give it a little time. I really can't figure out what can happen, but we will see. I will keep you posted.

jcoulter
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Dude listen! CHANGE THE OIL!!!! The HEMI is only supposed to have 5W20. Nothing else. Or do you hav a spare 5 grand laying around if it tanks the motor.

Jax
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Well I am not going to have time to change it again for a while. Guess I am just going to have to be the guinea pig. Just hope it does not blow up.
BTW dash MPG seem to be going down, hope this has nothing to do with the oil. I think I got a bad tank of gas.

Yeggster
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Go away Troll

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

GPintheMitten
03-06-2009, 07:20 PM

I hate to second guess a decision like this, so i am going to give it a little time. I really can't figure out what can happen, but we will see. I will keep you posted.

Hmm. Oh, well, guuluk. :ugh2:

a49erFan
03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
BTW dash MPG seem to be going down, hope this has nothing to do with the oil. I think I got a bad tank of gas.

Couldn't have anything to do with running thinker oil could it? :stickpoke:

RAMBS
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
The MDS comes in at very low engine load. 5W20 helps decrease load but other oil will not blow the engine or any thing of that sort. You may experience the (Hemi tic) it sounds like detonation but is generally thought to be low oil pressure to the lifters.

Jax
03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
The truth is I am mort concerned about the oil quality than the viscosity. I do want to know if the Rotella is gas rated. I do realize diesel and gas engines often have different requirments. I think this oil is rated for both, but I do want to be sure. I honestly can't beleive the minimal viscosity difference can be much effect. But I am going to seriously consider the synthetic. Not sure of the cost but it could not be all that bad and probably has far better lubrication and protection ability.

Any preference of synthetic and why?

a49erFan
03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Any preference of synthetic and why?

Several threads on that, search using "synthetic"

GPintheMitten
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Jax, these are good questions, but I think it would have been better for you to have asked them before you bought your oil and put it in. Oh, well.

RAMBS
03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I changed to Mobil 1 on my first change with my last Hemi. Just traded for my new? Commander. Once I get the stealer straightened out with the oil that's in it now I will switch to Mobil 1 5W20 I think it's great.

Jax
03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Several threads on that, search using "synthetic"

Thanks ,,, I will have a look

Jax
03-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Jax, these are good questions, but I think it would have been better for you to have asked them before you bought your oil and put it in. Oh, well.

You are right. I actually thought the parts store where I have been buying oil for years would have the right thing, but they just seemed lost as to know anything, so I just got have used in the past becasue I did not know what else to do.

I thank you all who have been kind enough advise.

Jax
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Well I am not going to have time to change it again for a while. Guess I am just going to have to be the guinea pig. Just hope it does not blow up.

OK I could not resist,,

Truth is I can't tell the difference. The MPG has not change at all, exactly the same. But the Rotella does not seem to meet the Gasoline label requirment, so i will be changing to something that does.
Thanks RAMBS, that Mobil one seem to be the best choice.

madcom
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
use the mobile one or even castrol both high grade oils

DatacomGuy
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Stupid question.. 5W20 is synthetic, right?

jeep5253
03-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Stupid question.. 5W20 is synthetic, right?
You can get it in either real oil, or synthetic blend, or full synthetic.

kmax
04-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Here is my understanding of how MDS works and why 5-20 is necessary. Of the 16 lifters in the HEMI, eight of them are designed specifically for the MDS operation. When the 4 cylinders are deactivated, solenoids reduce the oil flow (thus oil pressure) to those specific 8 lifters, allowing them to bleed down. The lifters are designed to take up the camshaft/pushrod travel, thus leaving the intake/exhaust valves closed. Leaving the valves closed on the deactivated cylinders keeps those cylinders warmer for longer periods of time. The engine will re-activate the dead cylinders if the block starts to have too much temperature differential. If I recall correctly, back in the 80's, Cadillac had a cylinder deactivation system (8-6-4) but the valves would continue to work, pumping nice cool air through the dead cylinders, cooling the block in those areas. The block would have big differentials in temperature which was bad for wear. Anyway, 5w-20 oil is required because it will quickly re-pressure the lifters when the solenoids fully open as MDS transitions back to 8-cylinder operation. A heavier oil may take too long to re-pressure (even in milliseconds) and a lighter oil may still be able to pass through the solenoid longer than intended, leaving the lifters partially pumped up. That is my understanding, though I'd love a DC engineer to explain it as I'm sure my understanding is somewhat conceptual. If any of my info needs correction, I'd love to hear it.

CommanderDrako
04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Was using amsoil but shifted to mobil 1, full synthetic oil only on my vehicles.