Passenger front window problem [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Passenger front window problem

jeeperx2
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
recently found my passenger front window has a glitch? works fine on auto down and manual down , but from either the driver or pass. controls it will not auto up and you have to hold the button all the way up because if you let off the switch it will pause for a moment and auto all the way back down again?! anyone experience this? at first i thought it was my wife not knowing how to use the buttons;) but come to find out, i wasnt exactly right:)

Avsfan33
04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
my front passenger window has both auto up and down is that normal?

Jim Archer
04-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Mine's auto down and auto up. I expect that's normal. Mention it to yr dealer next time you're there.

INTREPER
05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
I have that same glitch from the driver side control, to the passenger front window.

mypantsaretorn
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
it happens to me occasionally too... not that big of a deal yet unless it starts to happen everytime..

HemiCommander
06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Glad to see that I am not crazy here - The passanger window goes about half way up and stops!

Initially I thought I was doing something to cause this. Then one day I was watching the window close... it got about 3/4 of the way up and then reversed to about 1/2 way down. I reported it to the dealership...they lubricated the glides to see if that would stop it... so for not have not had this happen again...but with it being 90+ degrees latley I do not have the windows down much.

rooney2oons
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
If you have this problem on the freeway at highspeed, then it could be a backpressure thing within the cabin. Otherwise it is a problem. I love the auto up. the only other car I have owned with auto up and down is a VW. I like the auto up better than the auto down.

Now that I think about it, It could be a problem with the anti pinch sensors in the window. I am pretty sure they have this feature on the JC.

XJaiger
06-27-2006, 12:48 AM
My auto up & auto down on both sides are working just fine - no probs. here.

walkjon
06-27-2006, 08:35 AM
I just discovered my auto up on the drivers side is not working. Will have to have dealer check out.

Daytomann
07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
It has somethig to do with the anti pinch feature. I am guessing that somewhere in the upwards travel of the window, in auto up mode, it binds up enough to cuase the anti pinch to kick in and make the window go back down.

Ours did this for awhile then seemed to free its self up, kind of like the track may have needed to be "broken in" or something.... I havent experienced it happening in awhile. If it starts happening again, I'll let the dealership sort it.

Commandeer
07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I have the same thing on my Commander. I too think it is the anti pinch feature but the problem is intermittant. Just make sure they go all the way up before using the high pressure spray at the car wash... Oops!

HemiCommander
07-10-2006, 07:10 PM
The TSB of this is 23-008-06

Subject: Front Door Glass - Loose, Sticks, Binds, Moan-Like Sound or Express-Up Reversal.

I have had the service dept check into this and they claimed they could not duplicate...but they did put so much lube on the glides that the crap is still oozing from the bottom of the door!

Creek
07-11-2006, 07:23 AM
This weekend mine (driver side) would auto down but not up. Yesterday it worked both directions. Go figure. :eek:

HemiCommander
07-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Well guys here's the latest. The Commander went in on Thursday for several items - a full page with TSBs for easy reference. One of the issues was the passanger side auto-up would not always "UP". OK, it appears they corrected the passanger side (although not to the full specs of the TSB)... NOW :mad: the driver side will not auto-up at all ... in fact you have to pull up on the button, then release..then pull up and hold before the window will go up at all!!! Will be back at the DS on Wednesday... oh, they also screwed up the memory seats! Easy Exit will not work!

Looks like I will be having a long chat with the service manager on the qulaity of service

wvlldist1
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
My passenger window will go half way up then reverse and go back down. I've not had it to the dealer yet because of the hassel but I'm hoping for a bulletin soon.

HemiCommander
10-13-2006, 11:07 AM
;) My passenger window will go half way up then reverse and go back down. I've not had it to the dealer yet because of the hassel but I'm hoping for a bulletin soon.

The TSB on this is 23-008-06

Southsidegirl
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Just experienced the same problem with the passenger window. Just one more thing to put on the list for the dealer to fix!

Bulldog9
10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I found mine did the same thing (didnt reset itslef and go down, but sounded bound up) untill I started putting it up and down 2-3X every time I drove. Did that for 3-4 days, and now is smooth as drivers side. Maybe it needed the lube spread out, but now works 100%. Will keep my eye on it though.

azmouse
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Same Problem here.

samax8
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I have had the same problem intermittantly. Took it in for routine service and told the service writer about it and mentioned that I knew there was a TSB on it. When I picked the Jeep up the service writer said they were unable to duplicate the problem and were not supposed to do warranty repairs if they could not duplicate owner reported problems. Then he said that they wanted me to be a satisfied customer so they ordered a new regulator and would call me when it was in. I did not buy this Commander from this dealer.

Southsidegirl
11-01-2006, 07:27 AM
The window starting working again! I guess we'll see how this goes!

Creek
11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Mine works intermittenly. I will go for weeks without a problem, then it will do as described in earlier posts. It happens on both sides. You can reset this feature by raising the window all the way then release the button then hold it up for one second. Makes mine work for awhile. I will mention on my next visit, but I have 20k so I would have to pay to replace any bad sensors. I can live with it.

nacnac
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I've had my commander for a week and the first time my wife tried to put the window down it didn't work. I thought maybe the window lock was on. Nope. Doesn't go up or down. Don't they check that kind of stuff before it leaves the factory? Im kinda pissed that I have to bring it in after one week. Not a good start.

kfbagt
11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
In fairness to the Jeep Commander i would like to say that we own a Honda that has had this same problem since it was new. The dealership can never seem to reporduce the problem at the shop and have therefore been run around about getting it repaired for going on 2 years now. The sensors in these things are just way too touchy in my opinion. I have never had this problem with my Jeep but in our Honda if you just dont push the switch hard enough to engage the automatic feature then you can manually control the window and can roll it up with no problem. Seems that once it is rolled up that "cures" the problem for a couple of weeks or month or so.

Just thought I would mention that, when you're in the rain or need to leave the vehicle and the window won't roll up it is a real headache.

kenholz
11-13-2006, 06:23 AM
same problem here !!!! mine only happens when its raining outside.. I think the rain causes the seal to get tighter and binds the window.. then the anti pinch throws the window back down ... pain in the a$$.. also my temp sensor works very slow... some days it will take an hour to update its self

HemiCommander
11-13-2006, 10:45 AM
:) I may be speaking tooooooo soon but I think they finally have solved my window issue. It's amazing what happens when they follow the TPS and change the regulator as it states.... guess the 4th time is the charm on this one. :p

Chipster009
11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Dealer changed the window regulator (slides) under warranty / Tech Bulletin 3 months ago.

Problem hasn't happened since.

my2003r1
11-14-2006, 06:45 AM
I just got my Commander and it has 400 miles on it and I have the same problem. Not a very good start for me. Did not pay this kind of money to have problems already. I have to wait to see what the future holds I guess.

samax8
11-17-2006, 12:54 AM
The dealer replaced my window regulator yesterday. Will let you know if the problem happens again. As a side note, the window would not go up or down in express mode, or whatever it is called, when I picked it up. Turns out the mechanic/technician had not programmed it. There is a note in the Owner's Manual stating how to program the windows.

Dabitz
11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
I will mention on my next visit, but I have 20k so I would have to pay to replace any bad sensors. I can live with it.

Warranty is up 36K miles.

ktek01
11-17-2006, 07:56 PM
When I picked the Jeep up the service writer said they were unable to duplicate the problem and were not supposed to do warranty repairs if they could not duplicate owner reported problems. Then he said that they wanted me to be a satisfied customer so they ordered a new regulator and would call me when it was in.

True, this is step one of Chryslers 6 Step Troubleshooting Process which is the first part of every Tech class. How each Tech, Service Write, or Dealership Policy treats this may vary. When I cant duplicate the problem, but it is a known issue especially when there is a TSB on the subject I will suddenly be able to duplicate the customers comncern. This isnt just for customer satisfaction, I really dont want the same Jeep back 5 times before the problem finally happens for me. I would much rather fix it the first time and be done with it.

I wont do a repair when it is a new problem or I think it may be operator error, or someone just trying to BS me. A few customers seem to think Lemon Law is an easy way out of that car payment and once you attempt to fix a non-existant problem you open that door wide for them.

setsail98
11-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Same problem.......... found my cog was bad. Replaced and NO problem.

Copboy4090
11-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Mine does the same thing. Starts up and then half way up it goes back down.:mad:

bravo2376
11-26-2006, 04:45 PM
The TSB on this is 23-008-06. That's the latest I've checked.

samax8
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
No problems YET with mine since dealer replaced the regulator.

setsail98
12-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, fixed my "cog" and now......... the auto-up feature does not work?!?!? Ok, they will fix that on an oil change.

kenholz
12-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Dealer says the window regulators are bad. Going to replace them tomorrow.

samax8
12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Hmmm, fixed my "cog" and now......... the auto-up feature does not work?!?!? Ok, they will fix that on an oil change.

Same thing happened to mine. Turns out it has to be reprogrammed. Owner's Manual tells you how.

limejeeeep
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
on the same note .my passenger window gets stuck a moans .it happened when trying to lower the window.talk to service manager a he looked it up in service bulletin and low and behold there is was .thought some folks may want to know......by the way what happened to the post about the passenger seat belt being to short????:confused:

HemiCommander
01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
...by the way what happened to the post about the passenger seat belt being to short????:confused:

Glad you brought this up. I have a co-worker that tried buckling up in the front on a lunch trip one day - could not get the belt to fasten without moving the pas seat all the way back. What is up with this?? :confused:

I have tried to find a belt extender and have not had any luck on one that would fit the XK. Not in a big hurry for on as this is so for the only person that has had an issue - but it would be nice if he could ride up front!

another chris
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Another victim of passenger window regulator failure here.

setsail98
01-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Seems they have a slew of bad cogs! They fixed mine...... had to take it back to have the auto features redone on the starscan.

HEMI
01-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, mine is doing that on the passenger window, too. It is going in on Monday for that and "suspension clunking" from the front

Untchbl
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Just drove my 06 XK home yesterday. 11k on the clock and it has the goofy passenger window auto up problem. I wrote down the TSB # and will be taking it in soon.

Is there an archive of TSB's somewhere on the site that I am missing? Very nice to see so many other XK enthusiasts.

Thanks fellas!

Brandon

HEMI
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
The dealer fixed my window problem. They "recalibrated the window switches" per TSB# 08-013-04.

5x5
02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Mine started doing that after I put in the K&N 73, I thought it might have had something to do with disconnecting the battery. Now I know.

rubicontrail.net
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Is there an archive of TSB's somewhere on the site that I am missing? Very nice to see so many other XK enthusiasts.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

Untchbl
02-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Thank you sir! Just saw that post this morning when I was lurking around.

RedCommander
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
On the LX platform you must recalibrate the auto windows after disconnecting the battery.

Here is the recalibration procedure for the LX, I need to try it on the Jeep.

AUTO UP FRONT WINDOW
If the vehicle is equipped with the auto-up front window feature, once the battery is reconnected the door module
needs to be calibrated. The door module requires calibration anytime the battery or door module has been disconnected
for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Connect the battery cables.
2. Using the window switch, raise the window to the full UP position. Hold the switch in position for 1 second, then
drive the window all the way down to the bottom.

RedCommander
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
well, that didn't work

Creek
02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Try holding itfor 10 sec at both the top and bottom positions. There are instructions in the owner's manual I think but I know it is in other threads on this board.