Engine Stalling [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Engine Stalling

jeep cmder
05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I had an incident when my Commander only had about 200 miles on it. I was driving downhill on the Interstate when my engine quit and the speedometer and tach went to zero. I wish I had taken a moment to check out the instruments and exactly what was going on (mainly the ignition key). More about that later.

However, since I was rolling on the highway at 65 MPH, without thinking, I immediately reached down and turned the ignition key to start. The engine immediately restarted and the speedometer and tach came back up to normal readings. As to whether the key was in the "on" position, "off" or somewhere in between I haven't a clue. At that moment, I just wanted to get it running ASAP. I was more than a little shaken the rest of the way home waiting for it to happen again.

Back to the ignition key. I have several keys (probably too many) on my Jeep key ring. I suspect that perhaps they were over weighted to one side, putting pressure or at least a basis toward the "off" position. Now, stepping into total guess land, I'm wondering if the ignition key was not totally in the "on" position and my knee pressure might have been enough to move the ignition key to the off position.

Not taking the time to check where the ignition key was when the engine quit is the key to this problem. The reason I suspect it was in the off position is because the speedometer read zero at 65 MPH. Even if the engine had quit, if the ignition key was in the on position, I would think the speedometer would still read the actual speed instead of zero.

This is the only time this has happened to me. I now check to see if the ignition key is fully on after starting. Since this one incident, this has never again happened to me while driving my Commander.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar problem with the ignition key cylinder in their Commander or any other Jeep? Would it be possible for the engine to run if the ignition key was not fully in the on detent?

Sorry about the lengthy report, but I wanted to describe the incident as clearly as I remember it.

TPS
05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I haven't had that happen, but I could see how it easily could - I initially had my key on my big key ring with my 5lbs or so of other keys, but they were hitting my knee while I drove, so now I just keep the Jeep key seperate. I also hit the key with my knee and killed the engine once while shuffling around in my seat - luckily I was idling in my driveway.

ladeefrickenda
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
That has happened twice to me. Both times I realized that I hit the key with my knee. It shook me up the first time and the second time I just turned the key back on. I hope this isn't super bad for the engine.

I lowered the position of my seat which helps some. I am usually very conscious of it now. I will probably take the other keys off of that one just to be safe. I can't really see anything else that I could do or the dealer could do. I have read about this happening to one other person.

TR4Runner
05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow! I would imagine the steering wheel would lock up if the key turned too far. That could definitely be a big problem!

jeep cmder
05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Fortunately I was going straight ahead when it happened. What surprised me the most was the speedometer and the tach instantly going to zero. My first thought "oh, oh!!!"

The engine was only off for a couple of seconds. However, I didn't feel any increase in the steering feel. So, even though the tach was at zero, I assume the engine was turning over enough to keep the power steering going.

This has got to be some kind of defect in the ignition cylinder that would allow it to get out of the "on" detent enough to stop the engine.

Although I didn't mention it when I started this thread, I do believe my knee hit the key also. Kinda crappy that a knee bumb could kill the engine. At the wrong time, this could be VERY serious, especially if someone didn't think to GO for the key immediately.

As to engaging the steering column lock, I think the transmission has to be in Park along with the key in the off position to engage the lock.

06commander4_me
05-03-2006, 01:46 AM
OMG!! thats ALMOST enough to stop me from buying a commander! if the key happened to turn off while I was slamming the gas down to MOVE into traffic and I had to think about what happened, and then try to start it again, and then realize it has to be in park, and push on the brake, and put it in park, and turn the key... thats enough time for someone to side swipe me, or for me to cause a SERIOUS pile up!

START SENDING SOME LETTERS TO DCX!!

ladeefrickenda
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
It doesn't have to be in park to restart. I just turned the key back to the full on position and everything resumed. Not that that makes it much better. It is still dangerous.

jeep cmder
05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
It doesn't have to be in park to restart. I just turned the key back to the full on position and everything resumed. Not that that makes it much better. It is still dangerous.

Interest point! Normally, the vehicle (almost any) has to be in either "Park" or "neutral" to start the engine. When this incident happened to me, everything went so fast that I don't remember exactly what I did. All I definitely remember was that I turned the key and the engine immediately roared back to life. I KNOW the engine will NOT start if the transmission selector is in "drive" when the vehicle is parked. As to whether it will start in drive when in motion, I'm not sure. I suspect I MUST have shifted to neutral before my restart. Does anyone know if the starter will engage while if in "drive" if the vehicle is in motion? This doesn't seem like something I want to try to just get the answer.

If this ever happens to any one, I think the best response is to (1) shift to neutral, (2) turn the key to "start", and (3) thank your lucky stars you didn't bend any metal during the procedure.

To answer 06commander4_me, while I don't think this problem is that big of deal, it's something that Jeep should consider fixing. In the present situation, it's best NOT to have a big bunch of keys hanging on the same ring that your Jeep ignition key is on and just make sure you have the ignition key fully in the "on" detent when driving.

ladeefrickenda
05-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I do not know if the starter would work in the drive position. I know I didn't shift in to nuetral, which may be better for the engine. I think that by keeping it in drive and turning the key back to on it must be similar to push starting a car with a manual trasmission, and you don't need to use the starter at all. Either way I hope it doesn't happen again. I definately agree with not having a lot of keys. I am only going to have one.

I believe that both times it happened to me I had the cruise control on and was shifting positions. I really can't see it happening while accelerating. Anyway people should definately be aware.

rice1008
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
We bought our Jeep Commander last month... Had a new 05 Dodge Grand Caravan and it was a lemon so Daimler Chrysler replaced it. We chose the Jeep Commander. I am beginning to feel that too was a mistake. Yesturday on the way taking my little girl to school, I stopped at a stop sign ( going up hill ) and my engine just died. I don't know if I put it in neutral or in park, but I turned the ignition and it restarted immediately. This was somewhat unnerving because I started rolling down the hill, with cars behind me before I realized the ignition turned off. I have been doing some research and see that is a common problem that consumers are having. I do have several keys on my keychain and will be taking some off today.

I have some problems with noises as well and was wondering if anyone else has had the same type noise... When I let my foot off the the accelerator, there is a whining noise that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle... almost sounds like the rear end is going out... One time there was a weird noise that seemed like it was coming from right under the dash....I haven't heard it since. The Jeep also seems like it doesn't shift gears and the engine seems strained at times... I have a 4.7 V-8. This makes me a little nervous giving our past problems with our Grand Caravan. Has anyone experienced these problems or are we just cursed when it comes to vehicles?!?:(

bigdog
05-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I have had no problems with my JC! 5000 miles and going strong.

AF001
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
YES! Several weeks ago my JC started acting funny, hesitating around corners, no pick-up. After I noticed this, a few days later it just stopped running in the middle of the road. Luckily I was on a back road, not a highway. Had to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer said that the engine blew and put a new engine in it, only 4000 miles on it. I had it back now for about 10 days and the same types of things started happening again! I took it back to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. Should it happen again, I'm demanding a new car!:mad:

jeep cmder
05-07-2006, 02:07 PM
YES! Several weeks ago my JC started acting funny, hesitating around corners, no pick-up. After I noticed this, a few days later it just stopped running in the middle of the road.

The issue is different in this thread. Yes, it's about the engine quitting. However, in this case, the cause is "bumping" the extra keys hanging down from the ignition key and in doing so, turning the key slightly out of the "on" detent or maybe even to "off". This problem, while potentially serious, is quickly fixed by shifting to neutral and restarting the engine. Apparently, some who had this problem were able to restart by leaving their transmission in "drive" and just insuring that the ignition key is in the on detent position.

Your problem is a lot more serious and I hope it is corrected soon. If I had your kind of trouble, I would be thinking of taking a depreciation bath and getting different model of SUV. If I can't depend on a vehicle getting me safely to where I want to go and even more so, getting me back home WHEN I want to return, I don't want the vehicle parked in MY driveway.

germerika
05-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Driving home from work as the wife stopped at a Stop sign the Commander went dead, while shifting to Park noticed a grinding sound. Restarted without any problem. In those famous words of the service dept., "I couldn't get it to happen while test driving". There are only about 5000 miles on clock and she says this is the 2nd time this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

rubicontrail.net
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Went dead? If she heard a grind sound it doesn't seem like it was dead to me.

Creek
05-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes has happened twice to my wife both time while sitting in traffic. Going to shop Friday.

jonathanadams311
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Has happen twice - Both Times - Wife in Rush Hour Traffic (under 10mph)

Commander
05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Say it aint so!!! We just got our commander last week after our liberty, which we got in 7/05.......DIED IN TRAFFIC!! :confused: It was usually the first stop of the day (out of the driveway, first light, etc.) So the dealer basically lemoned it for us and gave us a great deal on the commander!
Are your commanders automatic or stick?

jeep cmder
06-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Commanders are only automatic. I believe there are 3 versions of the transmission.

Commander
06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah my Fiance reminded me of that last night after he read my post and told me I was a dork! :p

Faustus
06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
To make a long story short, I loved my Chrysler Pacifica, but after it stalled 6 times, exchanged it in arbitration against my current Jeep Commander. I noticed with the Pacifica that the ignition is very easily turned. The same with the Commander. While I do not think that this was the root cause for the Pacifica, it happened to me twice with the Commander that my knee accidentally hit the key chain and that slight bump turned off the ignition. I now drive with a detachable key link and this helps. I would check the distance between your knee and the key (chain). Possibly adjust the seat or run it only with the key alone. A combination works for me. Just two weeks ago someone from the highway investigating team contacted me in this regard and I let him know that DC seems to use an ignition switch that works too easily.

indo
06-06-2006, 03:07 AM
I was cruising in my commader on the way to work, let my foot off the gas, and then it just shut off.Really embarassing because it was at 4:00 traffic.It has 1200 miles on it currently........

princess
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact it happened to me just today and it was very scary. I was stopped waiting for a car to turn out of the road I was turning into and when I turned into the oncoming lane and accelarated it died AND the steering wheel did lock up. It took me a second to realize what happened and I through it into neutral and restarted and floored it out of the intersection. It has happened 3 times now. I called the dealership as soon as I returned to my office and spoke to my salesman. He is wonderful and is great about customer service and satisfaction. Within 10 minutes the service manager was calling me and asking about what had been happening. He said there is no TSB on it but that I should keep a record of how and when it occurs so if need be we can duplicate it for them to be able to diagnose. I of course am just hoping it doesnt happen ever again. Or they will have a used hemi on their lot for sale!:eek:

Herd Mentality
06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
I've heard this is a HEMI only problem...and has been happening across the product lines (not just JEEP). Any truth to that?

kirkcom
06-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, I have had an engine quit. I purchased a new commander in Sept 2005. Five times, when starting from a stopped possition the engine will die and everything turns off. I have taken it to the dealer 2 times and they are unable to determine the cause. Without a cause, they say they can do nothing. I am stuck and upset. The problem occurs sporatically at odd times. Please help. Thanks,

kirkcom
06-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Please help! I have a 9 month old new commander. At 2,000 miles we experienced our first stall. After stopping at a stop sign, I pressed the excelerator and the engine stalled. I put it in park, started it and it ran fine. This event occured 4 more times over 8,000 miles.

I took the vehicle to the service department and their computer did not register a problem. This has happened twice. Without a confirmed problem, they are willing to do nothing even though the commander is under warranty. Has anyone been able to come up with the "code" for the problem. If I could just get the code they say they will fix the problem, no questions.

I am looking for any help. I have read on this post about the key causing the stall. If I had not had this happen while using my key set and my wife's key set I could beleive it, but this is not the case.

Please help. Thanks for your time.

rikmeister
06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
uhm do you have a hemi too kirk. maybe we should ask everyone who has had this problem what engine they have to see if there is a pattern.

ldf
06-10-2006, 03:56 PM
This is all quite nerve racking to me -

I test drove one (12 hours) and heard a very faint chime three different times. It didn't last long but I thought it was quite weird. It, too, sounded like it was coming from under the dash. The first time I thought I was hearing things (it sounded similar to the seat belt chime but much fainter) but I know now I did hear it. Strange.

As for the engine dying - what the heck? What do the service people say? It makes me leary of ordering the -07! Could it be related to the remote start??

Thanks.

ldf
06-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Please update!

This sounds bad.

Thanks.

TPS
06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
the 3 chimes are usually for misc. warnings/notifications (i.e low windshield washer fluid, seatbelt not buckled, etc) - nothing to be scared away over. HEMI stalling out sounds a little scary, though.

keaguilar
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I have had my JC for two months and it has stalled four times. I do not have a lot of keys on my key chain and everytime the dealer states they can find nothing wrong. This is the second week it has been in the shop in the two months I have had it. I have emaild DC and they state they are sorry to hear of this problem and will work with my dealer to help solve this problem.

PROBLEM>> this is a death trap and it looks like until someone is seriously hurt they are not going to do a recall. When I get it back I will keep it until it happens and again and then I will demand a buy back or replacement. It is not worth putting my family at risk.

If anyone has had this problem fixed I would love to know so I can pass this information along to my dealer. I love the way my JC rides and most everything about it but had I know about this problem I would not have spent the money and put my family at risk. So until DChry fixes this issue I would advise anyone not to buy this vehicle.

rubicontrail.net
06-16-2006, 09:48 PM
File a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration immediately: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If more than a couple of people complain the NHTSA will force DCX to address the problem.

princess
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Mine is the Hemi as well, and I do not have the remote start. Additionally, I have my JC key and a light key chain only in the ignition.

HEMEEE
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I've heard this is a HEMI only problem...and has been happening across the product lines (not just JEEP). Any truth to that?I have a 300C and moderate our sister sites, 300cforums and chargerforums boards as well... no widespread reports of Hemi models stalling, nor any personal experience with this issue.

Herd Mentality
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
The rumors I've heard of are a similar situation with the HEMI equipped Durango.

HEMEEE
06-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Ah, gotcha...

HemiCommander
06-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I have the HEMI and have had this happen to me three times. The first time was just after they had to replace the torque converter (with only 850 miles on the vehicle) and I was on a very windy road. Of course my first thought was - Darn what now?? I immediatly put the shifter in neutrual and hit the ignition bringing the engine back to life.

It seems to me that the ignition switch is 1) poorly located and 2) should not turn so easy. I am now catuious when driving long distances (and need to re-position my legs) to not hit the switch.

I mentioned to the DS and they said there is nothing that can be done.

Anyone have any luck with a DS that cooperated?

keaguilar
06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Finally it has stalled with the dealership. This makes week four out of three months I have had this vehicle that is has been in the shop. They have put a flight recorder on it and are waiting for it to happen again. I refuse to pick up my JC until it is fixed. They have given me a rental vehicle and have been extremely nice about the whole thing and for that I am very grateful. Well at least they have acknowledged the problem. I did take the advise of a previous post and sent a complaint to the DOT website and once again I have emailed DC about the status. So I will keep you updated and when they find the problem, which they will do or they will have my JC back on their lot to sell to someone else, I will let you know what they find.

TimmyB
06-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow, i have 1000 miles on my commander 5.7 and have had no problems, except for the whistling noise on the freeway. But, today my dad borrowed the truck and said he was going about 50mph it stalled and restarted, then died again one minute later and would not restart. I dropped it off at the dealership and they were nice and gave me a rental, and said they didn't know what the problem was. I'll update when i hear from the dealership or get my commando back.

keaguilar
07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Well the dealer is still unable to fix this issue. They stated that DC engineers are working on this issue and they do not know of anything else to do until they hear from them. So week five approaches and I still will not pick up my JC until they fix it. I am driving the dealers rental mini van and refuse to put my family at risk until it is fixed. I sent email number three to DC and told them I was starting the lemon law process to get this death trap returned. They have not responded. Well if these so called "Engineers" come up with some great fix I will let you know until then I urge everyone to keep on DC about this safety issue.

germerika
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
We have the 4.7L and it stalled again today. This makes the 3rd time since we've had it.

SDBaja
07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
please see post #32!

skyking
12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a 2006 Commander 4.7 liter V8, 10,000 miles. Over the last few months the car will just stall and quit at low speeds. Once it occured at a 4 way stop when turning, the jeep just died right there. It has also happened when mauvering in and out of parking spots or tight areas. The car gives no indication or surging it just quits and starts right back up. I am a first time Jeep owner, in the past I have owned Nissan Pathfinder and jsut recently a 2001 Montero both cars never had a problem like this. This is not the only problem I have had with the commander.

rubicontrail.net
12-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Have you taken it to the dealer to check error codes?

skyking
12-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Not yet I am not overlly confident in my local dealership. I travel often, going to find a larger dealership out of town to do all of the service work from this point out.

Bulldog9
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Not yet I am not overlly confident in my local dealership. I travel often, going to find a larger dealership out of town to do all of the service work from this point out.

LOTS of posts on this, try the search feature.

OKCommander
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Look at the dealer problem section of the forum. You shouldn't have any problems finding that you aren't the only one. I would definitely have the dealer check it out (even if it isn't the one you originally bought it from).

JCCommando
12-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Had the same problem, dealer adjusted the idle rpm. We'll see if it fixes anything...LOTS of posts on this...also, file a complaint with NHTSA........if we get enough complaints we can probly get DCX to actually admit to and fix the problem!!

JCCommando
12-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, I'm a new memeber the Stalling Jeep Society........took mine to dealer and they adjusted the idle RPM. Mine stalled out after letting off accelerator, about 10 mph in a parking lot. Lucky I didn't crash. My advice to everyone, every time it happens, take it to dealer!!!! Demand a loaner vehicle. Then if problem persists file a lemon law suit against them. By taking vehicle in to dealer you are establishing documentation of the proplem, which is a clear safety issue. I would also suggest filing a complaint with NHTSA, which you can do on their web site. Maybe if enough folks get together and be heard, DCX will admit to the problem and actually fix it!! We love our Cmdr, and aren't interested in a refund, but we need a safe vehicle to drive!!

skyking
12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks at this point I will take it to the local dealer, hopefully they will do something proactive. My fear is they will just tell my they cannot replicate the problem. I have also filed a complaint with the NTSHA. I feel that this is a dangerous problem. The car has stalled at intersections. :(

spidey
12-19-2006, 11:35 PM
May not be related at all, but my KJ has done the exact same thing...
Very infrequent - maybe 6 times in the past 3.5 years of ownership.
It has the 3.7L V6. It hasn't ever happened at a time when safety was an issue, so I never thought about taking it to the dealer...
Can't recollect every instance, but it seems like it happened just after engine startup or when backing out of the garage or parking space (low RPM's)

Have not experienced any stalling with the XK, but I've only owned it for 4 days!

skyking
12-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I wish all of those who are having trouble with the jeep stalling or quiting would file a complaint with the NHTSA it is just a few simple steps. My 06 4.7liter commander quits at low speeds during turning. It has also happend at busy interstections. My favorite was going over a speed bump at low speeds the engine just died. It always restarts. However, I am a littler more cautions when I pull out in traffic or merge. Knowing that the engine could quit is a deep concern. I am sure those senior members of the board will ask why dont you take it to the dealership. The reason, my local dealer is horrible and I dont want to hear those famous words "cannot duplicate the problem". I wish jeep would conduct a directive to recall the problem. I really think it is just a computer managment problem and could be fixed with some software upgrades. As for those who keep hitting thier key ring and turning off the jeep. I would think jeep would put the ignition in a better spot or higher. :mad:

Bulldog9
12-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I wish all of those who are having trouble with the jeep stalling or quiting would file a complaint with the NHTSA it is just a few simple steps. My 06 4.7liter commander quits at low speeds during turning. It has also happend at busy interstections. My favorite was going over a speed bump at low speeds the engine just died. It always restarts. However, I am a littler more cautions when I pull out in traffic or merge. Knowing that the engine could quit is a deep concern. I am sure those senior members of the board will ask why dont you take it to the dealership. The reason, my local dealer is horrible and I dont want to hear those famous words "cannot duplicate the problem". I wish jeep would conduct a directive to recall the problem. I really think it is just a computer managment problem and could be fixed with some software upgrades. As for those who keep hitting thier key ring and turning off the jeep. I would think jeep would put the ignition in a better spot or higher. :mad:

Keep a log for a month or week, depending on how often it happens, then go in with the log, request at a minimum a computer reflash. If they tell you no, immediately ask for the service rep, then the owner.

Cant really complain or asume what they will do without going, and if you dont do anything about it. i.e fuel injector cleaner, check plugs, change fuel source, oyu wont know. We've all gotten bad gas, driven around town and carboned up the motor, etc. Smetimes it is the simple things that are the solution. If you do alot of city driving and baby the go pedal, You may want to try holding the transmission in gear, and reving motor to 5K on shifts, hold it there a while, or go on the highway and keep trans in 3rd gear for 30-40 minutes every week or so. Sure it will waste fuel, but may burn off some carbon.

If you genuinely are concerned, take it in.

vermont5
01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
rice1008: the noise sounds like one similar to mine. If you haven't gotten it fixed it may be a recall they had out a few months ago regarding a wiper senor.

tshields3
01-03-2007, 12:18 AM
06 w/4.7L stalled while pulling away from fuel pump and turning around in the parking area at a low pull off speed. 3000 miles and first occurence. I agree with the members that suggested filing with the NHTSA. Had a Dodge w/ the cummins turbo diesel that went through numerous mods with faulty transfer pumps, renegade dowel pins in the timing box just to name a couple of items that Daimler Chrysler refused to address. I have no doubt that the same neglect will apply here.
Strength in numbers and then you never let up!

lalo
02-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a 2006 jeep comander with 35000 hemi on
and i have the same thing happens to me the shut off only in the stop lights
has anybody had this fix a lot people has the same ploblem but nobody has said anything about how to fix it

SDBaja
02-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Hopefully, you reported it to the NSHTA site as step number one.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

There are many different variables you need to consider including having the dealer look at this (hey your warranty is about up so you better get it in before that) and looking at the TSB's to see if anything might be related.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

Shutting off at stoplights doesn't quite fit a pattern I have heard of.

good luck

ILcommander23
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
please sign my petition, i am taking it to chrysler.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4039

ILcommander23
02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
please sign my petition, this has to end.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4039

Ranger6882
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello Mult.

Hoover98
03-09-2008, 12:44 AM
2 stalls in 6 months in addition to numerous bouts of hesitation when accelerating from standstill or ver low speeds (<10mph). Complaint filed with NHTSA. :mad:

penguin
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello Mr. Micelli. We continue to pursue a resolution with Chrysler.
Just in case I have not sent them to you, I have attached copies of the
last information received from Chrysler on this subject.

Chris Lash
NHTSA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:28 PM
To: Lash, Chris <NHTSA>
Subject: Re: Jeep Commander Stalling Investigation EA07-007

Mr. Lash,

Can you publicly state if there has been any movement
on the Jeep Commander stalling issue; and if so, what
is the status?

The information received is this. (http://www.themicelis.com/stall1.pdf) Basically, it says that Chrysler believes there is nothing wrong and we can go **** ourselves.

blinkgold311
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Has anyone thought that this issue may not only be to a faulty ignition switch, but maybe ethanol usage in gasoline? I am from South Dakota originally and we have been using ethanol for many years. Some engines get very picky about functioning properly at low RPM's with an ethanol mixture of fuel, especially if normal unleaded was previously used due to the chemical shock on the fuel system. Any thoughts?

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi,

Just thought I'd pop back to see if the site was running any faster...erm, no it's not. Its still slow for me!

Anyhow, my Hemi has started stalling at lights, under braking and during idling!

Spoke to a couple of dealers here, and guess what...we dont have a recall in the UK for stalling issues!

My guess would be it's a vacuum leak on the inlet manifold or a split pipe.

It's been tested on the computer and no errors found and I had a new power control module fitted during christmas.

Oh well, we'll see what happens over the next few days when she visits her new service department 75miles away from home!!!

Have any other international XH Hemi owners experienced this problem?

drysuitdiver
03-03-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/recall_h03.pdf

I would print this out and take it in, when \I had cold start issues on the CRD i printed all the TSBs for diesel issues and the dealer applied all of them just to make sure the problem wasn't one of them.

failing that punch the service manager till he listens and find the fault.

ILCommander
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi,

Just thought I'd pop back to see if the site was running any faster...erm, no it's not. Its still slow for me!

Anyhow, my Hemi has started stalling at lights, under braking and during idling!

Spoke to a couple of dealers here, and guess what...we dont have a recall in the UK for stalling issues!

My guess would be it's a vacuum leak on the inlet manifold or a split pipe.

It's been tested on the computer and no errors found and I had a new power control module fitted during christmas.

Oh well, we'll see what happens over the next few days when she visits her new service department 75miles away from home!!!

Have any other international XH Hemi owners experienced this problem?

Have the dealer check the ignition coil packs, ignition switch/black and wiring.

And use Firefox with the AdBlock add-on.

robby
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Although this hasn't come up much, beyond IL Commanders wiring debackle, I have seen this behavior on other vehicles.
Usually the throttle body is heavily carboned around the throttle plate. No need for along dissertation as to why it happens, it just does.
Anyways, the buildup prevents the throttle plate from closing fully, resulting in.....a computer percieved vacuum leak.
The MAP sensor interpets the low vacuum signal and ends up making incorrect adjustments.
So, remove the tube at the throttle body inlet and see if its all black in there.
If so, saturate a rag with spray throttle body cleaner and wipe it out while holding the throttle blade open.
Resist the urge to spray the cleaner into the throttle body as the cleaner will get into the TPS and also will wok into the shaft bearing area, drying out the bearings.
Also, clean the edge of the throttle blade as best as you can.
Sometimes, I have found it easier to just remove the throttle body and bench clean it, still only using a rag though.
I know you'll really want to just spray it, but I,m not kidding when I say you will do damage.
Hope that helps a bit,

Rob

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Have the dealer check the ignition coil packs, ignition switch/black and wiring.

And use Firefox with the AdBlock add-on.

I am using Firefox with AdBlock as advised by my 14year old techo geek son!

It's still slow though....plus I hate the look and feel of Firefox :)

Thanks for your help though :)

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Although this hasn't come up much, beyond IL Commanders wiring debackle, I have seen this behavior on other vehicles.
Usually the throttle body is heavily carboned around the throttle plate. No need for along dissertation as to why it happens, it just does.
Anyways, the buildup prevents the throttle plate from closing fully, resulting in.....a computer percieved vacuum leak.
The MAP sensor interpets the low vacuum signal and ends up making incorrect adjustments.
So, remove the tube at the throttle body inlet and see if its all black in there.
If so, saturate a rag with spray throttle body cleaner and wipe it out while holding the throttle blade open.
Resist the urge to spray the cleaner into the throttle body as the cleaner will get into the TPS and also will wok into the shaft bearing area, drying out the bearings.
Also, clean the edge of the throttle blade as best as you can.
Sometimes, I have found it easier to just remove the throttle body and bench clean it, still only using a rag though.
I know you'll really want to just spray it, but I,m not kidding when I say you will do damage.
Hope that helps a bit,

Rob

I'm not sure if mine would be heavily carboned as it's been a highway runner which usually covered 150miles a day as a minimum until it got recently parked up and used for family days out only. It has 26,000 miles on the clock which have been racked up since Aug 08!!!

When at idle, the rev's drop and the car shudders as if it wants more air/gas, but the problem is not consistant....it comes and goes...I've just done 10miles in it in stop go school traffic and its been fine.

Could our recent damp cold air (44 deg) cause it to flutter like this as its been dry for the past couple of weeks and its run fine?

I've tried different gas suppliers and even different grades to see if it were a bad batch of gas in the tank.

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Hope that helps a bit,

Rob

Cheers Rob,

I'll take a look tonight....I'm in the mood for some "taking it apart" action! :)

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Throttle body clean and ok. No carbon to be seen!!!

JillTheThrill
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Is it good to be back UK? Seems like you're happy to be here.

UK Commander
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Is it good to be back UK? Seems like you're happy to be here.

Hey Flower,

I love being here, I just don't like the slow running! :):):)

Ranger6882
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
need to reflash, was done to mine now all ok

UK Commander
03-13-2009, 06:51 PM
The thing shut down at 70mph on Wenesday, and it nearly killed me....a legal team and VOSA are now inspecting the Commander....before I take Jeep to the cleaners!

How long is it before someone dies?

Be aware, these things are lethal!!!!

SDBaja
03-13-2009, 07:25 PM
The thing shut down at 70mph on Wenesday, and it nearly killed me....a legal team and VOSA are now inspecting the Commander....before I take Jeep to the cleaners!

How long is it before someone dies?

Be aware, these things are lethal!!!!

Glad you are OK. Let us know the outcome. My Hemi has had an issue with stalling when going from reverse to drive and I had the throttle body cleaned. It reduced the issue but it has happened once since (3 months). I also tried different fuels. I have not had any stall issues while at driving speed.

UK Commander
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Mmmm...I'm not ok and the cars a bit of a wreak and only 3 days after leaving the dealer for a flash upgrade flowing a 45mph shut down!

The UK dealers do not and will not recognise US recalls so dont even mention it!

I've the power now to shaft Jeep.....oh joy!!!!

I've the Police and the law on my side.

CrzCajun
03-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Glad you are OK. Let us know the outcome. My Hemi has had an issue with stalling when going from reverse to drive and I had the throttle body cleaned. It reduced the issue but it has happened once since (3 months). I also tried different fuels. I have not had any stall issues while at driving speed.

The same thing happens to me sometimes when going from reverse to drive. I'm thinking of changing the plugs to see if this might help fix the problem. Hasn't stalled on the highway though.

sespe commander
03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Good thing I don't let my Commander read this thread. 23K miles and no stalls.

GPintheMitten
03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Have you performed all the recommended maintenance on schedule?
I have had no problems but I just had all 16 plugs changed, fuel treatment including throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning, of course unrelated I also had all the fluids changed except break fluid, power steering and coolant.

drysuitdiver
03-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Mmmm...I'm not ok and the cars a bit of a wreak and only 3 days after leaving the dealer for a flash upgrade flowing a 45mph shut down!

The UK dealers do not and will not recognise US recalls so dont even mention it!

I've the power now to shaft Jeep.....oh joy!!!!

I've the Police and the law on my side.

holy cow batman.

are you badly injured ?

sorry to hear it nearly killed you.

now for the ghoulish bit.

any pictures of the Jeep afterwards and anymore details you can give us abot what happened or is that liable to prejudice the legal case.

GPintheMitten
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Oh, I didn't understand that it wrecked. I thought it just stalled and caused you to slow down quickly. Sorry that I sounded callus. I hope you recover from your injuries.

Ranger6882
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Lets us see the damage to your XK.

CrzCajun
03-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Hope everyone is OK!!! Sorry to hear about the accident...

SDBaja
03-14-2009, 01:38 PM
The same thing happens to me sometimes when going from reverse to drive. I'm thinking of changing the plugs to see if this might help fix the problem. Hasn't stalled on the highway though.

CrCajun-We have the same year, model,engine. I'll keep you personally updated if the solution pops up. I thought for the longest that it was crud costco 87 gas the wife bought. Cleaning the throttle body and going with tier one 89 gas has helped. I'm getting the 30K done today (lubricants) and plan on doing the plugs myself.

UK..sorry to hear it was an accident. I hope everything works out for you.

jcoulter
03-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Like the others I also thought it just stalled at 70mph. I hope you are ok and that you recover quickly.

UK Commander
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Lets us see the damage to your XK.

Sorry Ranger, I don't have any pic's as yet.

The car has suffered med / light frontal damage as I hit a roadside sign whilst trying to control the car without any power....it felt like i'd shifted her into 1st gear and hit the brakes all at once....70mph to 0mph in 4-5seconds.... that was not nice. I'm ok, just a little bruised and my neck hurts as I've just had a neck operation 4weeks ago.

The Police have the car at the moment as per my request, due to simply not trusting the local dealer and getting the law involved.

It was the first time I'd used it in two weeks, just took it out for a run to keep the battery topped-up...I'm not sure if it will be repaired or not.

CrzCajun
03-14-2009, 09:36 PM
CrCajun-We have the same year, model,engine. I'll keep you personally updated if the solution pops up. I thought for the longest that it was crud costco 87 gas the wife bought. Cleaning the throttle body and going with tier one 89 gas has helped. I'm getting the 30K done today (lubricants) and plan on doing the plugs myself.

UK..sorry to hear it was an accident. I hope everything works out for you.

OK. What plugs do you plan on installing? Let me know if it helps fix the problem. It doesn't always stall though, but I do want to fix the problem. Thanks!!!

Ranger6882
03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry to here about that, How I found this forum was do to my XK stalling back in 06.

UK Commander
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
UPDATE.....Jeep HQ tell me the problem lays in the wiring from the ignition to the PCM to the Gearbox!!! They've found a fault code from three weeks ago! Funny that, as the dealer didnt find a fault code last time I took it in!!!

Or possibly it's a gearbox problem...they are not sure, so they are checking every cable first before checking anything else!!!

I hope its not a gearbox problem, as I had enough of that crap with the CRD Commander!!!

SDBaja
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
OK. What plugs do you plan on installing? Let me know if it helps fix the problem. It doesn't always stall though, but I do want to fix the problem. Thanks!!!

I bought the Champion double platinums. Yesterday I popped out the first coil to see what is involved and if I had the right tools. The two bolts holding the coil pack are 10mm and when you get those off you need to work the two rubber isolation tubes off the spark plugs. Those tubes are 3 or 4 inches long so the plugs sit fairly deep below the coil body. The plugs require a 5/8" deep, deep socket. So you will need at minimum:

10mm long socket driver (or open end )
5/8" deep socket for the plugs
a torque wrench to adjust to 13 ft lbs ( 12-14)
a couple of short extensions for the socket wrench
a couple of swivel joints for the socket wrench
some longer extensions

another website recommends canned air to blow the crud out of the hole before you pull the old plugs and a rubber tube to ease the new plug back into the hole so you dont destroy your gap settings (.45).

I don't have all the tools, I have most but not the extra extensions or swivels so I'm considering getting a local mechanic to do it versus buying some more.

If there is one thing that drives me nuts is not having the right tools for the job.

UK Commander
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Problem solved...result being a backed-out cable on the front control module!!!

Ranger6882
03-17-2009, 05:46 PM
how did it back out and what was the excuse from the dealership on why that did not catch fault code?

UK Commander
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
how did it back out and what was the excuse from the dealership on why that did not catch fault code?

The dealer replaced the FCM at Christmas, and it was not correctly fitted by them....it did not initially catch a code as the cable end was rubbing against the contact point and as a result did not catch a code as the break has to last 3 seconds to record the fault.

One single wire could have caused death on the highway...a very scarey thought!

I'm having Jeep UK rebuild the car and we are to come to financial arrangement for my recent problems...happy days!

Ranger6882
03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Well good for you!

You really need to consider changing back you avatar you had sunday!

UK Commander
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Well good for you!

You really need to consider changing back you avatar you had sunday!

Thats the worlds larGest TBM, and I worked on it years ago!

OK, you win :)

If it was the Apple one, the moderator made me change it.....I've had loads of warnings!!!!

SirSwift93
06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

Well, I have owned this car since it came out in 06 and loved it until today. I took her in for "A" Service/Oil Change, drove 13 miles and she stalled at the on-ramp to the Northern State. I turned her over (was cranking) several times, but she would not start. I popped the hood and looked around for the obvious; blown fuses, loose wires (injectors/coils), but no luck. I did notice a (breather???) hose from the oil fill cap came off, but I chalked that up to me pulling the engine shrowed off. I reconected and it still would not turn over. While waiting for tow service to arrive, I tried cranking her a few more times and the battery finally fell below the AMP threshold and it just clicked. A New York State Emergency Truck stopped to help and tried to jump the car. It would not even turn over at that point; click...click...click.

I had the car towed to the dealership where I purchased it. Since I returned home I have been looking for answers. What I have found is the same questions, but no answers. This is not the knee kick to the key-fob problem; I could not start the Commander back up after the stall. I have read issues about the ignition module needing replacement and some software being updated. However, some of those who had this servie performed end up with a stall situtation again. Thank g-d I didn't have my 1 year old in the car with me today. I am planning a family trip this summer and I am concerned about getting stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! What scares me even more is traveling with the whole family heading down the highway at 65 and have the engine cut-out on us!!! Will I be able to get it under control? Today I was only doing 40 mph and it was pretty tough getting her to the side of the road.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

All the best,

Sirswift93

CommanderDrako
06-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Did you check the ground connections?

kmax
06-04-2009, 12:40 AM
You said you had the oil changed. Did any warning lights come on prior to the stall? Most engines these days will either return to idle or shut down if oil pressure falls below a set threshold. If they did not put enough oil in the motor, it may have met the low pressure threshold, though its probably not likely considering you went 13 miles before the problem occurred. Might be something to check anyway.

XKJeep06
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone w/ the HEMI ever stalled right after reversing out of your driveway? This was really odd and unexpected. And no, it wasn't my knee touching the key...my legs aren't long enough to creep up there. Any thoughts? Vehicle has nearly 38K miles.

lekmedm
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I never had any stalling issues of any kind with my hemi.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

tripod
07-11-2009, 03:37 AM
look in the problem forum. theres mention of this on several occasions. i believe it had to do with the tranny filter causing loss of pressure and there was a TSB.

a49erFan
07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
No problems with my Hemi either.

SDBaja
07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Anyone w/ the HEMI ever stalled right after reversing out of your driveway? This was really odd and unexpected. And no, it wasn't my knee touching the key...my legs aren't long enough to creep up there. Any thoughts? Vehicle has nearly 38K miles.

Both CrzCajun and I have had this issue. It only seems to happen when going from reverse to drive when backing out, in the morning. I have had it in at least twice but nothing was ever found though cleaning the throttle body on the 1st service did seem to help. I have seen the P0456 (evap emmisions) fault around the same time but have not documented this exclusively. My latest attempt is to ensure the AC is off before putting it into drive. Once in drive I turn the AC on and it has been fine. I am taking this route because the AC increases the electical and engine load and one of the characteristics is the RPM drops to about 400-500 for a sec then stalls.

I have not had any issues with a stall at any other point so i treat this as a nuisance. I have not had my transmission serviced. I currently have just over 36K and it has been happening since about 20K.

Other items I have considered is the battery (electrical load dragging down the RPM). I have not replaced the battery or had it load tested.

What really upsets me is it never happens to my wife!!!:)

Let me know if you find anything out

sean0965
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I love my 2006 Jeep Commander. I don't like the location of the ignition key however. I was driving down the highway and put the vehicle in cruise control then took my foot off the gas and moved my leg slightly back off the gas pedal. When I did, my knee hit the ignition key (which is a big gommy key) and turned the vehicle OFF at 75 MPH. This was a bit scary. I had to adjust the seat back a bit further than I would like to avoid this.

Has this happened to anyone else?

THe key is too large and the ignition shouldn't be be just above the drivers knee.

Ranger6882
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
No, this has never been addressed!!!!!!!! try using search button up top, 3rd from the right.

Yeggster
07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah old one .. at least you recognized what happened most assume their Jeep needs serious repairs.

Do you have pedal adjust? if so trye moving the pedals up. It's posible to use a smaller head non-remote key, but you pretty much have to toggle the alarm feature off, or use the remote head key just as a remote fob

AlphaSig293
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
This has happened to me twice! The first time was within the first oil change. I think I had just passed the 3K miles and was planning on taking it in for service...talk about scaring you! I originally thought, man Chrysler is brilliant, what a great way to keep people coming in for service...turn their car off! But then I realized that wasn't it. The second time was just a couple of weeks ago when I was driving down the highway...popped it into neutral and started her up again.

jeep5253
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Atta' boy Ranger !

TR4Runner
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
They really need to get with the times and get rid of the ignition key. So many cars are pushbutton start now that I think it will be a standard feature on all cars within a few years.

jeep5253
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
They really need to get with the times and get rid of the ignition key. So many cars are pushbutton start now that I think it will be a standard feature on all cars within a few years.
The 2011 Grand Cherokee will have the push button start.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/2011/2011_gc_020L.jpg

TR4Runner
07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
The 2011 Grand Cherokee will have the push button start.

]

Yeah, I know... but that doesn't help the people with Commanders who keep hitting the ignition key with their knees! That's even more of a reason for them to go with the pushbutton ignition...I've seen many different people start threads on this forum about turning off their ignition by accidentally bumping the key with their knee.

jeep5253
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I know... but that doesn't help the people with Commanders who keep hitting the ignition key with their knees! That's even more of a reason for them to go with the pushbutton ignition...I've seen many different people start threads on this forum about turning off their ignition by accidentally bumping the key with their knee.
It's not the hitting the key with the knee that is the problem -- it's the ignition module itself. Chrysler addressed the problem with updated ignition modules. These people that are having problems need to have the ignition module replaced.

TR4Runner
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
It's not the hitting the key with the knee that is the problem -- it's the ignition module itself. Chrysler addressed the problem with updated ignition modules. These people that are having problems need to have the ignition module replaced.

If the ignition switch wasn't in a position where it could be tapped by the driver's knee, I don't think there would be a reason to update the ignition module. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the ignition switch unless they hit it with their knee. Are you saying that the ignition switch itself is faulty and could fail regardless of whether or not the driver hits it with his/her knee?

Ogri
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Good golly, how tall are you people? I'm 5'10" and my knee doesn't come close to hitting the key.

jeep5253
07-20-2009, 07:13 PM
If the ignition switch wasn't in a position where it could be tapped by the driver's knee, I don't think there would be a reason to update the ignition module. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the ignition switch unless they hit it with their knee. Are you saying that the ignition switch itself is faulty and could fail regardless of whether or not the driver hits it with his/her knee?
I'm saying that with the updated ignition modules it won't matter if you hit it with your knee it won't cut off. Yes, the switch could be located in a better place but that is not the issue. When we first started hearing about this I purposely tried to make mine cut off and could not get it to do it. I jiggled it all kinds of ways hitting it with my knee (which took some doing as I'm only 5'6") and my hand while driving down the road (Professional driver on a closed course. Do not try this at home).

VooDooPlanksta
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I only have this problem when I get in after my wife drives the jeep. I even have my brake controller mounted right below the ignition and still dont bump into it.

I keep myself as far away as possible from the steering wheel while still being able to touch peddles. Airbags hurt.

sean0965
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
No, this has never been addressed!!!!!!!! try using search button up top, 3rd from the right.

Thanks....to Ranger and all others....I did a search under just "key" originally and it came up with nothing. I tried "ignition key" next time and found all the previous posts.

I'm glad I'm not the only goofball who's done this and a bit concerned I'm not the only goof ball whos done this too.

Yeggster
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I did a search under just "key" originally and it came up with nothing.

Yes "key" is to short or too common to use as a search term.

a49erFan
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Merged.....

Yeggster
07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
When we first started hearing about this I purposely tried to make mine cut off and could not get it to do it. I jiggled it all kinds of ways hitting it with my knee.

It depends on the individual ignition, the original tolerance it had and how much wear it has ...

if someone has a BIG ring of keys and drivers on bumpy roads the ignition will wear out very quickly ... one thing to go is the detents that keep it in position.

I replace automotive ignitions on occasion as part of my job and I have seen ignitions worn out so bad the driver had to hold the in the ON position to get to the shop.

jeep5253
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
It depends on the individual ignition, the original tolerance it had and how much wear it has ...

if someone has a BIG ring of keys and drivers on bumpy roads the ignition will wear out very quickly ... one thing to go is the detents that keep it in position.

I replace automotive ignitions on occasion as part of my job and I have seen ignitions worn out so bad the driver had to hold the in the ON position to get to the shop.
Yes, but this was happening in brand new vehicles. The ignition modules were either faulty or just to "sensitive" to movement.

Yeggster
07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Sure .. just saying ... not all ignitions are as tight, they have a design tolerance, and they can wear out rather quickly under idealy poor circumstances.

Heck far as that goes I've taken apart factory fresh ignitions (brand new cars with lost keys) that have had one detent Ball missing on several occasion.

Plus on the Jeep in particular it's much more susceptible if the key in put in upside down.

canyonclimb
08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree with the key issue. I have hit the key with my knee twice on the freeway and shut the car off....both times freaked me out for a moment. I think the key placement was just poor on the makers part, at least it is for tall drivers. My seat is as far back and down as it can go and I still have this issue, but only when I engage cruise control and take my foot off the pedal.

a49erFan
08-21-2009, 01:56 AM
I agree with the key issue. I have hit the key with my knee twice on the freeway and shut the car off....both times freaked me out for a moment. I think the key placement was just poor on the makers part, at least it is for tall drivers. My seat is as far back and down as it can go and I still have this issue, but only when I engage cruise control and take my foot off the pedal.

moved your post to this thread, please keep your posts on topic to original thread content.

cjkrumsey
11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Erie, PA
11/3/08
search under Rumsey, Joann

The newspapers describe it all and pictures speak a thousand words.
This 2007 Jeep Commander crashed by stallling at a high speed claiming the lives of a young woman 40 years old and her 2 children who were 4 yrs old and 18 months old.
Please search and review this incident before selecting to put your family in a brand new Jeep Vehicle. A 5 star crash rating will not do much good if the vehicle stalls at a high speed and the driver is unable to control such vehicle.
Please, if you have a family review this before purchasing a Jeep Product.

UK Commander
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Erie, PA
11/3/08

This 2007 Jeep Commander crashed by stallling at a high speed claiming the lives of a young woman 40 years old and her 2 children who were 4 yrs old and 18 months old.
Please search and review this incident before selecting to put your family in a brand new Jeep Vehicle. A 5 star crash rating will not do much good if the vehicle stalls at a high speed and the driver is unable to control such vehicle.

A tragic loss....my thoughts as a husband and father are shared....my family dont travel in my Commander anymore...as I know, they cant be trusted!

jcoulter
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Tragic accident for sure.

I don't see anything about the vehicle stalling.

From http://yourerie.com/

"We now know the names of the woman and two children killed in a fiery accident in McKean township.
It happened around 11:45 Monday night along Interstate 79, just south of the Grubb Road overpass.
Police say 40-year-old Joann Rumsey, the driver of a jeep commander was traveling north, when she veered off the road and hit a tree.
The car caught fire, killing Rumsey along with a with her children four-year-old Kristin Rumsey and one and half year old Zachery J. Rumsey....
All three were pronounced dead at the scene."

UK Commander
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Tragic accident for sure.

I don't see anything about the vehicle stalling.

From http://yourerie.com/

"We now know the names of the woman and two children killed in a fiery accident in McKean township.
It happened around 11:45 Monday night along Interstate 79, just south of the Grubb Road overpass.
Police say 40-year-old Joann Rumsey, the driver of a jeep commander was traveling north, when she veered off the road and hit a tree.
The car caught fire, killing Rumsey along with a with her children four-year-old Kristin Rumsey and one and half year old Zachery J. Rumsey....
All three were pronounced dead at the scene."

Only becuase you did a non conclusive search on the internet that did not quote the word 'stall' does not mean the Commander did not stall, please consider the inside knowledge the poster may have.

Mine shut down 3 times on Friday at high speed.....I have similar knowledge!

jcoulter
11-16-2009, 06:08 PM
If they are going to get on here and bash an entire line of vehicles they could at least say "I have inside knowledge"

They also say "The newspapers describe it all". At least tell us what newspaper. I couldn't find one. Even searched "Erie, PA newspaper"

a49erFan
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
The first post this idiot posts is to trash our vehicle. Not impressed.

UK Commander
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Regardless of what they say....I'll trash the Commander as I've had two in less than 3 years, covered 120,000 miles between them and am happy to say that the Commander is unreliable, unsafe, poorly supported and cheap!

UPDATE....Im not sure why the thread was merged for this one....maybe to mask the original Thread Headline....is this site run from Russia?

Rant over

brendon
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I have had it stall twice at speed (~60mph) and immediately restart itself in the last week; then a stall at a stoplight that required physically restarting. The first two both happened when coming off the gas when traffic slowed ahead of me. I am fairly certain I was not in contact with the key when the stalls occurred. I keep only one key per key fob for any of my vehicles due to an overly cumbersome mass of keys killing an ignition switch in a VW Corrado (the car was relatively new at the time of the failure).

The ignition module in question - is this an ECM or the actual keyed switch block? Covered by Chrysler as a recall or will I have to bend over for this one?

Thanks.

Jeepworld
01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes, mine 2007 Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi died twice tonight - once will sitting at a stop light and another while idiling in a parking lot. Once I put it in park and restarted, everything was fine. I just had a tune up done today and thinking it could be caused from that. Everything else seems find - no noises, engine hesitation, acceleration problems, etc. I am hoping it was an isolated incident and it was just the computer "adjusting" to the new sparks plugs(I put in Champion platnium plugs, a new K&N filter and Mobil One oil at my 35,000 tune up). Any thoughts anyone?

gungho
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Hemi, 06 ,Limited, 56k.

I am having a stall issue. It only happens when I come to a complete stop. Rpms jump up then it will either dip low and recover or just die. Once it dies I restart and all is well. This happens atleast 4 times a week in the cold season and maybe once a month in the warm season. Any ideas?

Hoover98
02-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Mine doesn't stall nearly that often (actually, not in a long time - knock on wood), but I do notice the dip in RPM when sitting at a stoplight, etc. where it feels like it COULD stall. I wonder if it has to do with the system that shuts down half of the cylinders when cruising or standing still? I've also noticed when driving on the highway around 75-80 with the cruise set, I get a really annoying exhaust note/hum that only goes away when I brake or accelerate, but comes right back at a certain speed/RPM combo. Maybe the same issue with only running 4 cylinders.

skinnyR!
02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
The transmission has two filters in it. One is long, the other looks like a standard oil filter. The long one cracks and causes the transmission to de-pressurize, which sends a signal to the computer, and it stalls.

Basically, change the transmission filter and you should be good to go.

yanser
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Check engine light with any codes? The hemi's have had a problem lately with the egr valve which makes the jeep feel like the trans is dragging a bit, it is actually messing with the exhaust flow. you can check your own engine light codes by this procedure, no reader needed. (p040? is usually indicative of a bad egr with the symptoms you describe).
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67619
Code- check egr
no code- check trans filter

gungho
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
No engine lights ever come on nor any codes. I am taking it in to dealer soon and will suggest they look at the trans filter. Thanks all. will post after appointment

jeepmander
02-16-2010, 03:00 AM
I am having the same stall issues on my 06 Jeep Commander Hemi since 2-3 years already. The dealer also can not locate the issues with my jeep.

I called Chrysler Corp., and they were no help at all. I asked for someone in a higher position and they have not called my back in about month now.

I purchased a Reader with Live Data Recording to record the data when my jeep stall. When the jeep stalls, I will have to press a button on the reader so that it will record 20 frames of data before the car stalls.

There was never a lit check engine light on the jeep and now with my reader that I just bought, it stated 2 fault codes:

P0004 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High (Trans)

P0007 Fuel Shutoff Valve. A Control Circuit High (Engne)

I will goto the dealer tomorrow and see what they will say about these codes

gungho
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I am having the same stall issues on my 06 Jeep Commander Hemi since 2-3 years already. The dealer also can not locate the issues with my jeep.

I called Chrysler Corp., and they were no help at all. I asked for someone in a higher position and they have not called my back in about month now.

I purchased a Reader with Live Data Recording to record the data when my jeep stall. When the jeep stalls, I will have to press a button on the reader so that it will record 20 frames of data before the car stalls.

There was never a lit check engine light on the jeep and now with my reader that I just bought, it stated 2 fault codes:

I will goto the dealer tomorrow and see what they will say about these codes

What reader did you get? I would like to do the same.

I also called Chrysler to see if these trucks have any history of stalls so that I could tell dealer what to look for. They kept telling me that it is no longer under warranty and that the dealer cannot fix it unless they can reproduce the stall. They also tell me that they have never heard of these jeeps stalling.

Please post what the dealer has to say about the codes. Thanks

skinnyR!
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Change the transmission filter.

gungho
03-12-2010, 11:46 PM
The transmission has two filters in it. One is long, the other looks like a standard oil filter.

Just got the trans filters replace from dealer. The mech said something strange as I was leaving. He did know that this trans had 2 filters, one on the inside and one on the outside of the trans.

I thought both filters were on the inside? Is it possible he only replace the small oil looking one inside and something else on the outside?

robby
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
gungho,
If the vacuum circuit I referred to in your brake question is compromised, it will display this behavior in severe cases.

Rob

skinnyR!
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Did changing the tranny filters fix the problem for you?

I am not sure of both oil filter placement. I am sure there is two of them though. One is flat, the other looks like a regular round oil filter.

gungho
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Did changing the tranny filters fix the problem for you?

I am not sure of both oil filter placement. I am sure there is two of them though. One is flat, the other looks like a regular round oil filter.

No stalling yet after 2 weeks, but its been warm outside and tens to stall less anyway.

UK Commander
03-20-2010, 08:25 PM
No stalling yet after 2 weeks, but its been warm outside and tens to stall less anyway.

Best not drive it when its cold outside then!!!!

CommanderJ
03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Our 2008 JC (4.7L) has been acting up. Started stalling on us in the last week, several times. Died on the way to the dealer twice. Coasted up to the dealer service entrance... rolling in dead... no power.

Dealer has had the vehicle 3 days now. Told me on day 1, they got the Jeep to stall on them. They were able to reproduce the problem. They're working on it, and will let me know when they find out what the problem is.

Notes / Observations: Had just been in for service the week before. Dealer had flashed new keys, changed differential fluid.

I changed to new spark plugs / air filter same week. Also oil change.

Also noticed during this time frame, it felt like the JC was "hanging up" in 1st gear, when pulling away from a stop. Also, seemed like the front end was dragging on turns... like brake rotors hanging up, but sound more like it was in the front end / differential.

Then JC "bucked" or "hesitated" one morning after leaving the house. A short time later... died while cruising along about 40 - 45 mph. Dead... Coasted into a gas station.

Restarted. Drove the rest of that day fine.

Concerned... took to dealer on Monday. Died twice on the way. Once leaving a stop light. Once running about 35 mph.

Edit to add: Sounds like a lot of stuff here, but figured if I listed everything we noticed around that timeframe... maybe something will trigger a similarity with someone else's symptoms... maybe solve this thing? The dealer said the transmission suspicion might be a valid symptom. If the torque converter locks up, could kill the motor, too.

powerslave1966
03-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Erie, PA
11/3/08

Anybody else notice that the victim's last name and the poster's username are eerily similar?

Gulf550
03-25-2010, 10:17 PM
what is crazy is i'm original from around erie, pa. About 30 mins south. All my family plus my wifes family still live in the area. I'm always braging my commander up to my family members, probably because they are all avid toyota lovers, but if they would of caught wind of that accident, I would of been getting an ear full.

CommanderJ
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, the JC has been in the shop for over a week, now. My local dealer has been trying everything they can think of, to solve this problem. They replaced the cam position sensor... didn't solve it. Been working on the transmission as the possible source for a couple of days... Working with the Star Center (?) he said.

Gotta give A for effort to my dealer. They are trying everything they can think of. They have a LOT of hours into this.

The Technician has been able to reporoduce the problem, several times. "On demand", so to speak. Every time they try something... he test drives.

They said they'll keep working on it, until they solve this problem.

CommanderJ
04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Edit... PROBLEM (NOT) FIXED? Just got JC back from Dealer. Tried several solutions... think they nailed it this time.

After all the troubleshooting, replacement parts, etc... Ended up being a defective transmission filter (valve body filter, not in-line filter).

There are 2 tranny filters on this jeep. The valve body filter is pressed together from different materials... metal on top... plastic on bottom. Apparently, these two separate, and as a result the tranny fluid foams, bubbles, you lose suction / vacuum and the tranny can't pump the fluid.

Result... torque converter lock-up. Chokes the motor, for lack of better way to describe it...

Engine dies.

Edited 4/12 - No sooner did I post this... next day... same problems again. They DID fix it this time, I think... New post regarding spark plugs...

jeep5253
04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
PROBLEM FIXED? Just got JC back from Dealer. Tried several solutions... think they nailed it this time.

After all the troubleshooting, replacement parts, etc... Ended up being a defective transmission filter (valve body filter, not in-line filter).

There are 2 tranny filters on this jeep. The valve body filter is pressed together from different materials... metal on top... plastic on bottom. Apparently, these two separate, and as a result the tranny fluid foams, bubbles, you lose suction / vacuum and the tranny can't pump the fluid.

Result... torque converter lock-up. Chokes the motor, for lack of better way to describe it...

Engine dies.

I'll post this on a new thread today, so if it's really the fix, then it doesn't get buried in this huge thread.

Kudos to this dealer, for taking the time, effort, and having the patience and perseverance to troubleshoot this problem.

Just a thought... could this be similar problem that other makes / models experience? Similar filter design being the common denominator?
There has been more than one thing causing the stalling on the Commander. And yes, the filter is one of the known problems which has been discussed before here.

CommanderJ
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I hadn't noticed this filter issue being mentioned in any real depth or detail, on this thread, and did read through the posts. Maybe I missed that.

This thread indicates all the stalling threads are merged here, figured any other discussions / solutions would also be in this thread, so didn't dig a lot deeper on the website as a result.

Perhaps it's here and missed it... Maybe it's in another thread.

Thanks.

Edit to add: Checked website, and sure there are several threads on this issue. I guess I assumed all merged, and let my guard down, so to speak.

CommanderJ
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
FIXED... again? This time, the spark plugs.

I changed my plugs to Bosch Fusion Iridium (fancy platinum plugs). The problem started not long after that.

Seems the platinum plugs were creating a short in the coils, causing AutoShutDown relay.

Dealer changed to copper plugs. Problem gone.

3 days heavy driving so far... problem seems to be gone.

skinnyR!
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
It appears that this thread has been merged. I mentioned a little while ago, (in this thread now) that the trans filters were the cause of my stalling issue. My dealer was able to diagnose that just by me telling him the symptoms, as they have seen it before with commanders and grand cherokees, with the qd2 trans.

shinpad
12-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Commander J. Have you had any more stalls?

jeep5253
12-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Commander J. Have you had any more stalls?
He hasn't been active on the Forum since he made that last post on 4/12/10, so don't expect an answer.

nickcoleman
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
07 Commander (Overland w/ 5.7L Hemi) started stalling in April 11. So, far the dealer has replaced/repaired:

Map Sensor
PCM
Automatic Shut-off Cuircuit (switch in fusebox)
Wireless Control Module (because when it stalled: turning the key, it would just crank; turning the key to off and removing/reinserting, it would start immediately)
Checked Keys
Fixed Faulty Ground (From PCM to fuel rail)
Moved Coil Harness
Checked for wire harness chaffing behind wheel well

About two weeks before all this started, I had a tune-up done on it where the dealer replaced the spark plugs (copper) and fluids (oil, transmission, transfer case, f/r diferrentials).

Talked to the dealer yesterday. They don't know what else to do and are calling the Warrenty Adminiistrator (I have a lifetime extended warranty). Don't really want to give the Commander up ... it has been a great vehicle until this started happening.

Anyone have some ideas to suggest?

Yeggster
06-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I didn't notice the ignition switch itself on your list or the battery to starter harness .. Thoses are the two most common failures.

nickcoleman
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
07 Commander (Overland w/ 5.7L Hemi) started stalling in April 11. So, far the dealer has replaced/repaired:

Map Sensor
PCM
Automatic Shut-off Cuircuit (switch in fusebox)
Wireless Control Module (because when it stalled: turning the key, it would just crank; turning the key to off and removing/reinserting, it would start immediately)
Checked Keys
Fixed Faulty Ground (From PCM to fuel rail)
Moved Coil Harness
Checked for wire harness chaffing behind wheel well

About two weeks before all this started, I had a tune-up done on it where the dealer replaced the spark plugs (copper) and fluids (oil, transmission, transfer case, f/r diferrentials).

Talked to the dealer yesterday. They don't know what else to do and are calling the Warrenty Adminiistrator (I have a lifetime extended warranty). Don't really want to give the Commander up ... it has been a great vehicle until this started happening.

Anyone have some ideas to suggest?

Dealer replaced all the wiring harnesses and it appears to have solved the problem. They were able to stall the commander immediately when playing with the harness going into the fuse box. Suspect is was probably the Tyco connector ... but, they replace the entire harness just in case.

3 weeks now and no stalling.

CommanderJ
03-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Been since April 2010 - Going on 2 years. No more stalls. Bosch Iridum Fusion Plugs seem to have been the problem. Dealer sent issue to Star, and they responded possible spark plug issue... problem was due to platinum plugs triggering the Auto Shut-down Relay. (Fire early or some deal... triggers the ASD to think there's a "short" or something... the way they explained it to me at the dealer.)

Switched back to, and have stayed with basic copper plugs (hard to find because parts stores upsell the fancy plugs now).

Once or twice in last couple years, when turning a corner, motor has "hiccuped", so maybe it's still a transmission / fluid / drivetrain issue too? But, have to say no stalls since I switched to copper plugs. Almost 100K on the Jeep now, and a plug change since.

JustJosh
07-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Hello, my name is Mike. I recently bought an '06 Commander Hemi. I am experiencing the same problem that most of you had with my engine shutting down then coming back on in a matter of seconds by itself without re-starting. Can anyone advise me what the remedy is for this issue? Thanks alot for your help. Mike mnandoo@aol.com

M3racer
03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
My 2007 5.7l Commander would stall at 35 mph where the engine would go from 4 cylinder mode back to 8 cylinders. It got to the point where I would have to drive with the Tom/Haul button on just to stay in 8 cylinders full time. I changed the spark plugs to the Mopar Champion plugs from the dealer with the black tips and I haven't had any stalling so since then. I would start with the spark plugs since that is a some what cheap and easy fix.