Service Park Assist "Warning" Light [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Service Park Assist "Warning" Light

Marcs17
10-25-2008, 04:01 AM
hey all, i have a 07 v6 jeep, over the past 3 months it had broken down 3 times and all three times its the same thing. The first two times i was driving for about 10 min to downtown when my car started to buck and my dash board lit up saying service park assit on and wouldn't get out of first gear, even when i tried to drive it in first to a parking lot witch was about a half mile it was bucking back and forth. the third time the same thing happened as soon as i turned the car on. When i brought it to the dealership the first time they told me it was a faulty transmision computer. The second time they said water short circuited the transmission computer and the third another faulty computer. Im not very good with cars and this sounds a little fishy, are they telling me the truth or just some bull.

HHerndon
10-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to mine a few months ago. Took it to the dealer and the "flashed" the computer and everything has been fine since. They told me that the codes in the computer needed updating.

cano88
10-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I have had the same exact issue. The first time they said the same thing about the codes. The last two times they haven't been able to "replicate the problem". They told me to drive it there when it does it again. Are they serious? They really expect me to drive there 15mph to get to the dealer. I'm actually looking into the lemon laws and contacting a lawyer because of this issue. Being that they have not been able to fix it.

Marcs17
10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
i feel your pain man, they too told me to drive it there also. the only thing is its 20 min away from my house. the last time it happened to me i had to drive home and i took about an hour going fifteen. i checked the lemon law and if it happens one more time i can get a new car. i just wish they could fix it once and for all, this is getting so annoying.

jerryF8
11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I just bought an '06 Commander and have had this message come on three times. It says service parking assist and when it is on all the shift selections on the dash are highlighted as if in all at the same time. The shift lever is physically in drive. The transmission will not shift either. It's as if it is stuck in first or second gear. I have to pull over and shut it down and then restart. The problem seems to go away except the check engine light comes on and stays lit for several starts before going off again. Has anyone else heard of this? I read somewhere that it most likely is the electronic shift module. Please help, I only have about 3,000 miles left on the warranty.

cano88
11-23-2008, 08:07 PM
I have the exact same problem. Except mine has even come to the point wher it won't exceed 15 mph. Mine has been to dealership on 3 seperate occassions and they have failed to fix it. I'm in the process of going to speak to a lawyer about the lemon law being that the vehicle only has bout 22,000 mile on it.Sorry I couldn't help you as far as finding out what the exact problem is but at least you know you aint the only one .

jerryF8
11-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I took the Commander to the dealership yesterday and they say it is the electronic shift module. They are replacing it today and I will have it back in the afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it takes care of the problem.

jerryF8
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I have the exact same problem. Except mine has even come to the point wher it won't exceed 15 mph. Mine has been to dealership on 3 seperate occassions and they have failed to fix it. I'm in the process of going to speak to a lawyer about the lemon law being that the vehicle only has bout 22,000 mile on it.Sorry I couldn't help you as far as finding out what the exact problem is but at least you know you aint the only one .

What have they replaced? Did they replace the electronic shift module? How about new software? Did you talk to anyone at Chrysler directly? Mine is a base model with a V6 what is yours?

jerryF8
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
i feel your pain man, they too told me to drive it there also. the only thing is its 20 min away from my house. the last time it happened to me i had to drive home and i took about an hour going fifteen. i checked the lemon law and if it happens one more time i can get a new car. i just wish they could fix it once and for all, this is getting so annoying.

My '06 has the same sounding problem. If I shut it off and restart it functions normally. Didn't have to drive for any extended period like that nor would I have. I would have called a tow truck before risking more damage. The dealership is replacing the ESM. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. I am not sure why there isn't a TSB out on this or even a recall. It sounds like a common problem.

jerryF8
11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks to the administrator that merged these threads together but could you have used mine as the main one? I correctly spelled "assist" in mine so anyone doing a search could easily find the post. Anyway... I got my Commander back on Tuesday and have had no problems at all since they replaced the ESM. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this takes care of the problem.

cano88
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I took mine to the stealership Tuesday of last week. They said it was a transmission module. Which has already been replaced once by the way, but they have to order the part so I'm waiting for a call back to take it again. Mine has been in to Jeep dealer once for the issue and three times now to the Dodge dealership for the same issue. Lemon law? I sure hope so. Don't mean to bash on the Mopar guys but never again. I've always been a Ford guy and now I know why.Oh and mine is a base model with the 3.7L also.

cano88
12-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Just an update on this. I took the jeep to the dealer on friday to install the trans. module. Drove it home. Decided to go to the store a lil later, and BAM same thing all over. I got on the phone immediately. Got an appt. to go talk to a quality assurance manager at their dealer and another appt to talk to a lawyer about the lemon law next week. Will keep you guys posted if anyone is interested.

BUCKS_FAN
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I am having very similar problems that all appear electrical - here are the ones I recently recall:

* service park assist system message
* all gears show selected and engine seems to be in a lower gear (I moved the gear shift to neutral and everything corrected itself)
* engine light comes on and off over the past several days
* radio and instrument panel lamps dim and brighten randomly
* lamps behind [3] large blower control knobs all are out (this may be a separate issue)

My vehicle has 51,000 miles, so I have a feeling this will cost me a decent amount. Anyone confident of the problem and about how much it will cost me to fix? Thanks.

cano88
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
That is exactly what happens to my vehicle without the dimming of lights and blower lights. It's going to the dealer again tomorrow. I will let you know what happens, being that I after I write a formal letter to Chrysler I have to give them one more chance to fix it.

AKFossil
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
If Lithia isn't working for you Cano88 try Anchorage Chrysler on 5th.

ILCommander
12-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Have the dealer check the integrity of the wiring harnesses. The one near the intake manifold and the one from the engine to the trans.

Harnesses are a known to Chrysler engineering issue but not an issue shared publicly with dealers or the public.

BUCKS_FAN
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Have the dealer check the integrity of the wiring harnesses. The one near the intake manifold and the one from the engine to the trans.

Harnesses are a known to Chrysler engineering issue but not an issue shared publicly with dealers or the public.
Thanks ILCommander. I recently had the vehicle at the dealer to repair a transmission fluid leak that was described to me as a leak where the electrical connection entered the housing (my description may be a little off as it has been a few months). Is there any diagram that I can look at so I can visually inspect these harnesses before taking vehicle in for service?

ILCommander
12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks ILCommander. I recently had the vehicle at the dealer to repair a transmission fluid leak that was described to me as a leak where the electrical connection entered the housing (my description may be a little off as it has been a few months). Is there any diagram that I can look at so I can visually inspect these harnesses before taking vehicle in for service?

I am not aware of any diagrams, but I do know that in my case, the EVIC message issue I had was a communication fault believed to have centered around the harness near the intake manifold. My dealer was instructed by Chrysler engineers in Detroit to remove the intake manifold to find the faults in that harness.

For good measure they not only replaced that harness, but also the engine to trans harness which likely is the one involved with your issue.

I think "Made in China" plus poor design combine to make this an issue. It's about quality folks.

cano88
12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
If Lithia isn't working for you Cano88 try Anchorage Chrysler on 5th.

I've actually done that already, but it seems that none of the dealers can figure out the issue.
This is probably because the vehicle doesn't do it all the time. Of course when I take it in the problem cannot be replicated. Sometimes I can get it to do it just by simply putting it in reverse then back to drive but that doesn't work all the time. When I drove it to the dealer this morning the check engine light was on and of course by the time I get there it's off.

dhh3
12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
If I am getting this right, "Service Park Assist" comes on the EVIC.:sick: This happened to me last night.:icon_confused: The Park Assist is the sensors on the back bumper. When mine came on, I was driving in an ice storm. The switch that turns it off on the lower center stack also lit up, as if I had intentionally turned it off. Pushing the switch on and off did nothing. Nothing else was wrong. As soon as I removed the ice, everything went back to normal.:) Are these sensors wired into anything else electrical which would explain what all of you have experienced?:icon_confused:

jcoulter
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Mine did the same thing this morning. I think somehow the system knows if they are snow covered or whatnot. By the time I got to work all was well.

I have also noticed that when the ground is snow covered it seems to go wacky as well. I suppose it somehow "blinds" it.

cano88
12-18-2008, 12:00 AM
The snow and ice issue is basically just because the sensors catch it. The issue that other's are having are different cause it won't let the vehicle go past 15mph and the park assist message goes off for some reason but I don't think it really has anything to do with it. I would have no clue why it goes off when I put the vehicle in drive.

sdkjr
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi!

The same thing has happened to me twice now. Backing out of my driveway, and then going from reverse to drive, I get the service park assist message, all the gears light up, and I'm stuck in a low gear.

Haven't made an appointment with the dealer yet ... do we have a final conclusion as to the root cause? I have seen a few different things mentioned in this thread and I want to be able to tell the dealer to check on something specifically.

BTW, I have a 07 V6 Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition, with 16K miles.

cano88
12-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Took mine to the dealer today, again. They are replacing the whole shifter module. They had to order the part but as soon as they put it in I will let you guys know the outcome. I really hope that this is the solution to this problem because I got some more mods in mind for this jeep

cano88
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I am having very similar problems that all appear electrical - here are the ones I recently recall:

* service park assist system message
* all gears show selected and engine seems to be in a lower gear (I moved the gear shift to neutral and everything corrected itself)
* engine light comes on and off over the past several days
* radio and instrument panel lamps dim and brighten randomly
* lamps behind [3] large blower control knobs all are out (this may be a separate issue)

My vehicle has 51,000 miles, so I have a feeling this will cost me a decent amount. Anyone confident of the problem and about how much it will cost me to fix? Thanks.

Well yet another issue with this vehicle. My a/c and heater control panel aslo decided to dim this last time the vehicle did this. This really sucks and is really annoying. I have already taken the first steps to declare this truck a lemon by writing the dealer and chrysler notifications according to alaska law. The letters will be mailed on Monday.

dbugg@upcoinc.com
12-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I have been having problems with my '07 for several weeks. Same Park Assist Issues as all have described, I have under 27,000 miles. The found a computer response on the cause and ordered parts. Backordered for 2 weeks but when I complained they found locally and will replace on Wed. I'll let you all know how it works out.

BUCKS_FAN
12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I have been having problems with my '07 for several weeks. Same Park Assist Issues as all have described, I have under 27,000 miles. The found a computer response on the cause and ordered parts. Backordered for 2 weeks but when I complained they found locally and will replace on Wed. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Please do. Still having these problems here, but not the best time of year to take vehicle in for repairs. Kids want presents instead.

dtaylor936
12-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I have an 06 Commander V-6 3.7 and had the shift module replaced in September 08 at 39,000 miles and it is doing the same thing again 42,000 miles later...Going in on Friday. The bad thing is I have the 3yr 30,000 mile warranty, Chrysler paid for the parts the first time and I ate the labor. Going to try to get them to pay for it all this time. It is sad that they dont stand behind a "common" problem!!!
The symptoms were occasional jerking when in drive and then the transmission totaly disengaged and the dash light up like a Christmas tree. When it happened this week I was on the highway stuck between two semi trucks and had no power going to the transmission. Talk about scary!!!!

doodahlight
01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I have been having the same issues for about 2 weeks now. Shifting from R to D or from P to D, there is a jerking motion and a Thump, then all the Gears on the dash are highlighted and the "Service Park Assist" comes on. Occasionally then there is no power. Mine feels like it is in N not stuck in a lower gear. Usually shifting into N will solve the problem when roling on the road and it happens. I thought maybe the cold weather was a problem so I got into the habit of "warming up" the truck before I move it if it is parked in the driveway, but you can only run it for a little bit when parked in the garage.BUT it has also happened after the vehicle was already warm, like after driving to the store and sitting in the parking lot for a short period of time. Mine is an 07 with the 3.7 V6. It has just under 40,000 on it, so it is just out of waranty.

How long will it take for a recall to be issued?

cano88
01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Who knows, I contacted an attorney about my vehicle and I was told that according to Alaska statue I don't qualify because I've had my vehicle for over a year. Even though it has not reached the warranty period yet. They are replacing the Shifter module but from what dtaylor said I guess this is not the problem. I will let them know when I take it in that I will be back again. LOL. Which sucks specially since I have to make a trip from Alaska all the way down to North Carolina in about a month and a half. Hope I get there alive.

jerryF8
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I had the electronic shifter module replaced at the end of November and haven't had any problems since. It would have cost about $400 out of warranty.

jeep5253
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
49er could you please correct the spelling in the title to help people searching for "park assist" ?

a49erFan
01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
49er could you please correct the spelling in the title to help people searching for "park assist" ?

Might need to circulate a petition first :rofl: :rofl: Yea, I did it !

twb14
08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks like I have the same problem, but dash doesn't light up. jerryF8, have you still had no issues since replacing the electronic shifter module? Every dealer I contact gives me the well if it doesn't happen while we have it in we can't do anything about it. It has been 5 months since it did it before this weekend. Any suggestions? If your dealer seems to have it figured out can I get their info to have my dealer call them to discuss? Thnx

gabe74gt
08-16-2009, 03:53 AM
I have had the same exact issue. The first time they said the same thing about the codes. The last two times they haven't been able to "replicate the problem". They told me to drive it there when it does it again. Are they serious? They really expect me to drive there 15mph to get to the dealer. I'm actually looking into the lemon laws and contacting a lawyer because of this issue. Being that they have not been able to fix it.

I also had the same exact issue. I approached them thrice but no use. :ugh2:

ayandujar
11-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I am having the same issue with my Commander. It started in October of 07. Once. Then it did it again about 6 months later. Now it is recurring at least 2 a month for the last 3 months. The dealers told my Husband the same thing. I bought it used in Aug 07. So it is out of warranty. So now it is going to cost me about 400.00? Wow. this is not good. Does a dealer have to replace it? Thanks!

spryan81
11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't understand why chrysler won't just step up and fix this! I've had the esm replaced at 32000 and now I'm at 47000 and it's doing the same damn thing! I'm getting so frustrated because the dealer who fixed it won't do anything for me since I'm outside of the 36000...

EODJEEPXK
11-23-2009, 11:12 PM
it depends on the dealer, but i have found a place that has a 1 year limited parts and labor warranty. I have not had to test this out on the jeep yet, but on my dodge sprinter, i had a carrier bearing going bad. i paid once because it was out of warranty, but it keeps going bad before the 1yr time limit and they fix it for free. then the time clock starts over. maybe you could shop around to see if a dealer in your AO has something like this.
EOD OUT!

Higgins11
11-29-2009, 10:10 PM
my 06 Commander V6 (71,000 miles)is doing the same thing all the lights on the dash light up and sometimes the park assist light comes on. I seam to be able to bump the shifter (like i'm manually shifting it) and it goes back to drive.

So does every one agree i'm looking for a new Electronic control Module???

EODJEEPXK
02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Today i was on my way home from work, and we got 9 inches of snow. the plow truck, in all his wisdom, made a pile of snow 2 foot high right in front of the exit. my only option was to go over. it was soft so we more or less plowed through it. we got about half a mile down the road and the "service park assist" message came on. when i got to the traffic light, i shut off the engine and restarted. again about a half mile down the road, it came back on. the next light i did the same thing, and it stopped. when my wife went to go do laundry, it came on once and never came back. i went out to run the DTC test and all it said was done. anyone else have this problem? any ideas on what to do?:icon_confused:
EOD OUT!!!

Briandl
02-16-2010, 12:39 AM
It got wet, it went away, what's the problem?

jman79
02-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Sounds like the sensors just got covered with snow. The service dept. at the local dealership said this is a common cause of the message.

Smitty1970
02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, when we get snow, I get that sometimes. The snow just flies up on the back and starts freezing over on the sensors.

cico7
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
EOD

Each sensor has a wire that connects to the back side of the sensor.
The glugs can come loose...well the plugs do too.

Reach up under the bumper at each of the sensors, clearing the snow and ice away. Push the plug in.

I have had to do this before.

Psyco Out

Drakenator
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I will have to try this. Mine started this winter. I found to remedy the situation to get rolling, shift down and shift back up. The error goes away and power is restored. I will check my sensor plugs this weekend and make sure they are clean of debris and tight.

Mongo
02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
In the 2010 owner's manual, one of the first things it says about the Park Assist is if there is any problem to check for mud/dirt/snow over the sensors.

So if I back me vehicle into a wall and smash the rear bumper into the wall, will I get a " Service Park Assist "Warning" Light " while the bumper is up against the wall? :lol: Honestly, I bet you probably would.

I might of missed it in an earlier post, or its just so common sense no one has bothered to mention it; but the system works off ranging from the sensors and likely utra-sound echoing from the sensor. If the sensor gets covered, and even just really dirty might effect generating the ultra-sound, it gets weird returns that doesn't make sense, and thus the light. I'm guessing at the ultra-sound, it might be something different, but I'm sure its the same concept.

godeephammer
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Just had the park assist diabled message today. I got the entire list of light, all the brackets around P, N, D and R, engine light, stuck in low gear and can't drive over 25 mph. It has happened twice in the past couple weeks. It sounds like, from what others are seeing/experiencing, that it's the ESM. Has that solved the problem for everyone.

bigpav7
08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has fixed the problem with the park assist just by cleaning the connectors. My park assist has been acting up whenever I put the car in R, it sounds out a long beep, lights up all red and shuts off. The message to go for service pops up on the EVIC. The bumper is clean. Has anyone had anything similar happen and got it fixed by cleaning the sensors? How exactly do you clean the sensors? Do they need to be removed? Thanks guys.
if

Drakenator
01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I ended up doing this on the sensors that weren't blocked by my hitch. It seemed to help for awhile. I still get the issue from time to time but it doesn't happen each time I start the JEEP now. I need to remove my hitch to hit the other sensors. I added bulb grease before reinserting the plug. It was a pain to do. But my new craftsman creeper helped a lot with getting underneath it.

glenworthing
12-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I have seen many posts on this problem and wanted to give back to the community what I have found. This fix is still in progress and will truly be tested over the next few months, but it seems to have fixed the problem so far.

I had a problem where while driving my 2007 Jeep Commander v6 3.7 liter base trim model would beep with a message that would show up on the display saying Service Park Assist System. In addition, all the gear selectors "P, R, N, D" would light up with boxes around them. Lastly the car would seem to stall out like it's changed gears to Neutral and has no acceleration. This would be very scary when trying to pass someone on the freeway or climb a hill to go skiing.

I've been searching for an answer, and besides the dealer saying it's $1,050 to replace the Gear Shift Module, I couldn't find anything... until now! In this video, he explains what to do to help fix this problem. Having been a computer engineer for 25 years now, I completely agree with this fix and understand how this could cause the problem. The video is about the Grand Cherokee, but the Commander is very similar in the parts and pieces of this gear shift module. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1cz45SrlU

This seems to be an inherent design issue with the Jeep Commander, and will need this fix performed multiple times over the life of the car. My problem didn't show itself until 120K miles, but has shown up for others much earlier. Since it is a circuit contact issue, the problem will return for sure.