Shuts off Going 50 mph!!!! [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Shuts off Going 50 mph!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

JEEP
08-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I just got a brand new Jeep Commander! It has under 1,000 miles on it. I was sitting at a drive thru and the car just shut off. I couldn't give it gas. I had to put it in park and restart it again. Then, a few days later, I was driving down the road going about 50 mph, and the car just SHUT OFF!!!! I couldn't give it gas. I went to hit the brake to slow down and pull off the road. My car slammed/screeched to a stop and I almost caused a 20 car pile up. I got hurt too! They had to tow it! No word yet, and it has been five days. I can't even drive my new car, who would want to when it seems like a death trap! Anyone experience this problem????

Tlambert95
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
The only time I have ever had this problem is when I hit the key with my leg going down the road and shut it off. There are people on here that have had problems with the vehicle shutting of on them. Look through some of the threads.

TPS
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
As Tlambert95 mentioned, there are threads about people who have has similar instances - do you have the HEMI? It seemed like most (if not all) of the people who had that happen had the Limited model with the HEMI.

HemiCommander
08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
This happened to me a couple of times, however, I think it was becaues I hit the key.... which is in a terrible place - engineers are not too bright when it comes to logic :rolleyes: (IMO)

There are many post in this forum and jeepforums.com regardin the issue of the XK dying while driving... and DCX is supposedly aware of the problem?

You may want to submit a complaint to the NTSB. If they receive very many complaints they will launch an investigation!

Do you have the HEMI?

JEEP
08-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate it! I don't have the HEMI. It definately was not the key. After a week, they are still not sure of the exact problem, but are saying it may be the front control modular (computer system). I still don't have my car back. It sucks to have a brand new car you can't even drive! I will keep on reading the other threads.

SDBaja
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
There are currently 19 complaints on the NTSHA web site for the Commander. Of the 19, about 6 are for the shutoff complaint. It seems there are more than are actually reported.

XKPearl
08-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Of the 19 NHTSA complaints, many are duplicates from the same complainants. There have been only two or three individuals file complaints reference the stalling. If you pull up the details it shows the vehicle VIN.

One valid issue that parent's need to be aware of is the second row seat headrest. It does not detatch and therefore requires spacing material between the seatback and the car seat. It does not preclude you from using the car seat but it does take extra effort for proper fitting IMO.

Also note that there has been a complaint of unexpected acceleration that resulted in a traffic fatality. But this issue was closed as the result of accident investigators determining that it was driver error.

XKPearl

XKPearl
08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Also, to put the above in perspective I checked the NHTSA on a 2006 4Runner and it has 25 complaints. Like the Commander, many are duplicates. The 4Runner complaints run the gammit from tire blow outs, steering, suspension, windshield, drivetrain, electrical failures, etc. w/ one injury as the result of a complete electrical/engine failure.

XKPearl

TR4Runner
08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I remember when the Ford Escape first came out (2001 model year) and a few owners started complaining about the vehicles stalling while driving. It mostly occurred while coasting down hill...the engine would just shut off.

Unfortunately, Ford wasn't able to provide a true fix until the second half of the 2003 model year. I hope that isn't that case with the Commander.....

XKPearl,

As far as the 4Runner, not to worry. I read the 4Runner forum every day and I've never once heard of an owner complain about the engine shutting down....and that forum has many times the members here, so the complaint opportunity is much higher.

Based solely upon the information I find on this forum, it seems that the level of quality is not increasing, which means we will probably buy a second 4Runner instead of a Commander. Or we might even go with a new Xterra, but they seem a bit cheap in comparison. If the new Pathfinder had a more capable 4wd system, we would consider it...but its 4wd system isn't good for much more than a snowy road. The LR3 has a good 4wd system, but the reliability doesn't seem much better than the Jeep.

Hmmm.......I wish the FJ Cruiser wasn't so damn ugly or we'd get one of those!!

XKPearl
08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I don't know the basis for such claims of few 4Runner complaints on 4Runner forums. Toyota's official 4Runner forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

This forum has 8,631 members w/ over 20,252 threads and of these, Problems and Warranty Issues w/ the 4Runner has accounted for 6,852 posts!! Compair this w/ only 4,798 posts on driving the 4Runner Off-Road.

This w/ the documented cases of steering issues and blow outs as well as total electrical/engine failures w/ the 2006 4Runner, I just don't buy your claim as you appear to be casting stones from a glass house.

Good luck on your new purchase regardless the choice. As far as the Commander and this forum goes: At some point you have to either sh*t or get off the pot.

XKPearl:)

XKPearl
08-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Just to add fuel to the fire, I typed in the word "stall" in the 4Runner "Problems" forum and got back three pages of hits w/ many hundreds of member replies.

What does this show??? Absolutely nothing, just as your claims show nothing.

The Commander is brand new w/out its own history w/ the exception that the basic drivetrain/platform is a duplicate of the 2005 car of the year. If someone has a problem w/ their Commander (or 4Runner for that matter), it is a problem for them no matter how many may or may not have the same problem. But I think it is unfair to make any sweeping claim that these issues are endemic to the Commander based on the small sample of two forums that repeat problems w/ the same few individual vehicles. Time will tell and maybe I'll own the only Commander that works and the rest will be slated for the trash pile.

Anyway, again goodluck w/ whatever make/model you pick.

XKPearl

TR4Runner
08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't know the basis for such claims of few 4Runner complaints on 4Runner forums. Toyota's official 4Runner forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

This forum has 8,631 members w/ over 20,252 threads and of these, Problems and Warranty Issues w/ the 4Runner has accounted for 6,852 posts!! Compair this w/ only 4,798 posts on driving the 4Runner Off-Road.

This w/ the documented cases of steering issues and blow outs as well as total electrical/engine failures w/ the 2006 4Runner, I just don't buy your claim as you appear to be casting stones from a glass house.

Good luck on your new purchase regardless the choice. As far as the Commander and this forum goes: At some point you have to either sh*t or get off the pot.

Interesting point of view, but once again completely invalid. The fact of the matter is that the 4Runner forum you mentioned is for all 4 generations of the 4Runner, not just the latest generation. That said, most of the complaints posted come from the earlier generations of the 4Runner, many of which have more than 200,000 miles on them. Since you seem so interested in your own research, then go ahead and start doing some statistical research and you'll see that I'm correct--the vast majority of problem posts are from high-mileage early generation 4Runners.

Even if we include the skewed numbers from the early generation vehicles and compare it to the numbers on this forum, the 4Runner still comes out ahead. After all, this Commander forum has 33% more "problem" posts than it has total members!!! The 4Runner forum has 22% less "problem" posts than it has members. If we were to compare 4th generation "problem" posts only, that number would be much, much lower.

Look, you can deny it all you want, but the evidence is clear and accurate when it comes to reliability data. You can deny the data from Consumer Reports or JD Powers if you want to, but then you just might end up purchasing a vehicle that is more likely to end up back at the dealership. Oops...to late, I guess. Hmmm... maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket!

I honestly wish you luck with your Commander in the future. If this forum is any indication, you'll definitely need it. As far as me.....well, I pretty much made up my mind that my odds aren't very good for buying a Commander that will prove to be reliable or trouble-free. Yes, I'm 99% sure that we'll look elsewhere if things don't get any better with the second year models. We are not in a hurry to buy, so there's plenty of time before we have to get off the pot!

TR4Runner
08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Just to add fuel to the fire, I typed in the word "stall" in the 4Runner "Problems" forum and got back three pages of hits w/ many hundreds of member replies.

What does this show??? Absolutely nothing, just as your claims show nothing.

The Commander is brand new w/out its own history w/ the exception that the basic drivetrain/platform is a duplicate of the 2005 car of the year. If someone has a problem w/ their Commander (or 4Runner for that matter), it is a problem for them no matter how many may or may not have the same problem. But I think it is unfair to make any sweeping claim that these issues are endemic to the Commander based on the small sample of two forums that repeat problems w/ the same few individual vehicles. Time will tell and maybe I'll own the only Commander that works and the rest will be slated for the trash pile.

Anyway, again goodluck w/ whatever make/model you pick.

XKPearl

Good point....we both know that it is difficult to make any real comparisons from data on a public message forum. But we also both know that any problems deemed serious or dangerous by a manufacturer will warrant a recall to fix the problem.

For the sake of accurate comparison, maybe we should look at the recalls for the Commander and the 4th generation 4Runner. Somehow I doubt you'll be interested in that data.;)

XKPearl
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Good point....we both know that it is difficult to make any real comparisons from data on a public message forum. But we also both know that any problems deemed serious or dangerous by a manufacturer will warrant a recall to fix the problem.

For the sake of accurate comparison, maybe we should look at the recalls for the Commander and the 4th generation 4Runner. Somehow I doubt you'll be interested in that data.;)

Of course I was interested in that data and have already looked into it:

The 2006 Toyota 4Runner has had no recall, and only a handful (less than a thousand) Commanders built prior to Feb 2006 had a recall do to the omission of a plastc protective piece on the third row seat belt retractor. Though mine was built prior to Feb, it was not one of the few subject to the recall as mine had the correct part.

Also I looked into my drivetrain for recalls from the Grand Cherokee and found none. They only had one recall on the old NAG1 6cyl transmission (dipstick tube o-ring), but this does not pertain to the Commander. So bottom line is that my Jeep has had no recall at this point and the drivetrain has had no recall since 2005.

XKPearl
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
TR4Runner,

I don't know if this will help you at all as you have access to a relative's Commander, but we now have a new 2006 4Runner Sport Edition at work that is white just like my XK. The only difference to stock is that the factory 4Runner tires were replaced w/ All-Terrain Michelins. If I can figure out how to post pics, I can put my XK side by side w/ the Toyota for comparison sake.

I'm not sure I'd look at the Commander if you didn't need seven seats. As far as the Xterra goes, I've put many miles on both the older(smaller) as well as newer(larger) version. The current Xterra w/ the Off-Road package is fairly bomb proof but it has one big problem with me, it's not a Jeep. There is a Jeep saying that Jeep owners/lovers understand:

It's a Jeep Thing, You wouldn't understand!!

later,

JEEP
08-11-2006, 06:20 AM
I just got my car back last night, 11 days later. Thay replaced the Front Control Module. They "think" that was the problem. While Jeep had my car, they could'nt replicate the issue. I just hope this doesn't happen again!!!!

2JeepFamily
08-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Hi there- I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have an 06 limited commander v8 and have experienced the "shutting off" 2 times since we purchased the vehicle in early July. The first time, my husband was driving about 5 mph and turning a corner. All of a sudden, the car died. Same happened to me 3 days ago while waiting at a stop light. I called the dealership and we brought it in (only 1900 miles on it at this point). They tested and said they found that the MAP sensor was bad and that was causing this problem. They replaced under warranty of course and we got the car back today. I am hoping we have no further problems with this as other than this, I absolutely love the car.

JEEP
08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow, that is very interesting to know. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad that when it happened to you, you weren't going fast. It is interesting that they replaced different things in each of our cars. Keep me posted on if your car is fixed or not. It is so freaky!!!! I appreciate you telling your story!

rubicontrail.net
08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
For anyone experiencing this problem, please post your build date (can be found on the sticker on the driver side door).

Also post if the dealer has replaced anything on your vehicle in attempt to fix it and if it appears to have fixed the probem.

devo357
08-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I just purchased a commander and i happend to me 3 times also and the dealer said they dont see a problem I had this jeep for 2 weeks and already has problems. Never had problems when i had a jap car.

rubicontrail.net
08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
dev0357, please post your build date.

devo357
08-14-2006, 06:13 PM
dev0357, please post your build date. Well its at the dealer I will be going over there tommrow so Ill right it down and post it here

JEEP
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
The build date on my Commander is 12-05. They replaced the Front Control Module.

ktek01
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
There is a TSB for the Front control Module, also applies to Durango's & WK's, that involves replacing the FCM. The complaint listed is slightly different, no crank, but I have seen them happen while running. Even had one happen when I had the Starscan hooked up to it, when it happened it lost the VIN and comms with the FCM which controls all the busses. Ive seen them stall, not crank, or keep running with many dash warning lights usually 4WD, ABS, ESP, BAS etc. The FCM is the "Gateway Module" where all the Bus systems connect, CAN C, CAN C Diag, and CAN B. The important build date for this TSB isnt the build date for the truck, but the date on the FCM. Julian date 2765, October 3 2005, or earlier. The date is on a sticker at the front of the FCM. The FCM is the forward most underhood fuse box and the little box on the forward side is the actual module with the sticker.

rubicontrail.net
08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
ktek01, thanks for the clarification. That is very useful.

Tlambert95
08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Wondering if the people having this problem is with the Hemi only or any people having this problem with the 4.7 and 3.7 also. Just wondering. I have had my commander since April and had no problems with it shutting off except for when I hit the key. I am not sure of the build date though. Husband driving it so cannot check it right now.

topcop38
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
no problems with my 3.7L

devo357
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Wondering if the people having this problem is with the Hemi only or any people having this problem with the 4.7 and 3.7 also. Just wondering. I have had my commander since April and had no problems with it shutting off except for when I hit the key. I am not sure of the build date though. Husband driving it so cannot check it right now.

I have a 4.7 with that problem.

devo357
08-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Just to update you guys. Dealer just called me again and I was told that the problem is a flaw in the computer programming and that a fix wonít be out till the end of this month and they can not do anything till then. And that I have to go pick up the JC and wait till the fix is out. Tell me what you think of all this, I think there feeding me bull???

SDBaja
08-15-2006, 01:35 PM
It doesn't sound like BS. I would caution that estimates on fix release dates are often overly optimistic. Let's us know the outcome.

topcop38
08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
i would ask them that in the meantime if your JC shuts off and you are in an accident due to loss of power steering and power brakes who will be responsible for the medical bills and/or funeral expenses!:confused:

2JeepFamily
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Update post on the replacement of the MAP sensor in our 4.7L V8. We had the vehicle back for 4 days before it displayed the stalling/dying happened to me twice today. Once on the way to take it back into the dealership while actually driving the car although in slow traffic, it's pretty wacky to have to stop and restart your car on the freeway. Needless to say, I am not pleased about this nor the inconvenience of having to arrange for alternate transportation. A very nice person at the dealership said that they have seen this before in approximately 5 of the commanders they have seen and the replacement of the MAP sensor had resolved it in 3 of the 5. On of the remaining 2 ended up wrecking in a tunnel due to the problem and I am not sure if it is because they couldn't fix or the wreck, but they got a new car. Anxiously awaiting word on our vehicle. I can't get the build number for mine as it is at the dealership currently, but if I can locate it from the VIN #, let me know.

Tlambert95
08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I have a 4.7 with that problem.

We went with the 4.7 instead of the Hemi because jeeps have been coming with them for so long. I thought maybe the problem if only in the Hemi was due to possibly the shutting off cylinders when not needed thing causing the problem perhaps. Obviously though you having the problem throws that one out.

Thanks for the info though. I will keep a close eye on mine but still no problems with it. I am having a strange shifting problem with the transmission when going down the highway it sometimes down shifts and then does not want to shift back up. We had it do it to us twice on our last road trip. That is another thread though.

JEEP
08-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Just to update you guys. Dealer just called me again and I was told that the problem is a flaw in the computer programming and that a fix wonít be out till the end of this month and they can not do anything till then. And that I have to go pick up the JC and wait till the fix is out. Tell me what you think of all this, I think there feeding me bull???

I would make them give you a loaner or pay for a rental in the meantime. I'm sure your car is still under warantee. They paid for a rental for me for ten days.

XJaiger
08-17-2006, 07:48 PM
no problems with my 3.7L

x2 @ 4K miles.

Schweeeet!

topcop38
08-17-2006, 11:45 PM
almost 7000 on mine.

TPS
08-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I've got 13K on my 4.7L and have not had this problem. It sounds pretty damn scary, though.

2JeepFamily
08-24-2006, 12:17 AM
At this point, I am not sure that I will ever drive my Commander again. The dealership has had it since August 15 and they are able to reproduce the stalling problem with some type of special recording device on the car. From what I was told, the regular diagnostics don't capture the problem when it is happening. So, I have been put in a rental car since then and they now have to escalate this to the district manager who happens to be on vacation this week, so the earliest I will hear anything will be August 29th. At this point, I am wondering if they are going to be buying it back because from the service manager and Northwest Jeep here in Beaverton, OR said, he has been dealing with this problem on Grand Cherokee's for about a year and now they have 4 Commanders at their dealership, mine included that continue to have the stalling problem. I was advised that it is not that Chrysler doesn't know how to fix the problem, but that it requires a change to the emissions software in the vehicle and that change requires EPA approval.... Still, it seems weird that it isn't happening on more of them I guess. Well, no good news yet

SDBaja
08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Waiting for Government approval..LOL. This is the first I've heard it to be a emmissions SW issue. Actually that would be heartening that the issue is identified. We should start a poll on when the fix is approved by the EPA and offer up a gag gift as a prize..moderator???

2JeepFamily
08-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Well, it appears that I am now getting the Chrysler run around. The DM that we were waiting to get back from vacation is out for 4 days in meetings and they basically now tell me that they cannot reproduce it with the recording device on it and that I can come and pick it up. I asked the service manager if they had done anything additional to fix or repair it and he said no and Chrysler would not buy back a car that they cannot reproduce the problem on. I stated that they are telling me to drive this car that stalls unexpected with my 1 1/2 and 6 yr old children in it. I stated if there is no other resolution for me on this, we will be consulting with a lawyer as I don't feel that spending this type of money on a car that will I am sure continue to experience this problem is an adequate response. My chief concern at this point is the safety of my family and of course the poor people around me should I try to stop this 5400lb vehicle without power brakes or power steering. I would be more than happy at this point if Chrysler had offered to buy back a car that can't be repaired and replace it with a new 2007 model. I think that I am getting the run-around from Chrysler. We are contacting lawyers about enforcing the Lemon Law as well as the Attorney General for the state of Oregon. I mentioned the legal representation to the service manager and he stated that - I quote- "I don't blame you". He said this is the first time in 28 years he has had a problem that they have not been able to fix or repair. Well, that's all for now- awaiting future word from Chrysler.....

2JeepFamily
08-29-2006, 11:51 PM
For anyone else out there experiencing the stalling on the Commanders- especially the 4.7L engine, I urge you to document everything about the problem with dates/times/names and as much detail as possible from the first moment you have the problem and all contact with the dealership. We have had our Commander at the dealership for 2 weeks, they are unable to reproduce the stalling with the data recorder on the car. The DOM for Oregon refused to call me about this issue when the service manager at our dealership attempted to escalate the problem. Service manager advised me to call Chrysler and open a CARE case. We also filed a complaint on the NHTSA site and contacted the Attorney General for Oregon to report this issue. I am in the process of also drafting a letter to Chrysler and sending it off as well. We will additionally be consulting an attorney regarding this issue. To the dealerships credit, they have been very forthcoming with their experience on this issue with Chrysler and have given our car back with the data recording device in it so that next time it happens we can capture the occurrence and then proceed from there. :(

Mango~Ridge
08-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I hope the problem with your XK is found. It really snaps that your XK has the stalling problem. Ours has stalled about 3 times since we bought it. It stalls when it's cold, coming to a stop when the motor is still warming up. I don't think it's a problem with ours but if it does it any more, we are going to log it.

Thanks for the tip. Hope I don't need to use it!

HemiCommander
08-31-2006, 09:56 AM
I hope the problem with your XK is found. It really snaps that your XK has the stalling problem. Ours has stalled about 3 times since we bought it. It stalls when it's cold, coming to a stop when the motor is still warming up. I don't think it's a problem with ours but if it does it any more, we are going to log it.

Thanks for the tip. Hope I don't need to use it!

:eek: Your XK stalls and you do not think it is a problem?? :eek:

2JeepFamily
09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Update on our Commander stalling- I received it back from the dealership not fixed, but with a recording device on it the end of August. Well, around 1000 miles later- guess what- it stalled again. I was able to capture the incident with the recording device my dealership left on the car for me. Now, it is back at the dealership and they have forwarded the capture to Chrysler in Detroit. :rolleyes: We will see what they have to say next and will keep you posted....

Ranger6882
09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
This has also happened twice. My wife was on the highway going about 50 mph. took it to car dealer said they could not duplicate problem and there was not any indication on computer that there was a problem. It did it on me as I was pulling into my driveway took it back to dealership said the same.
MFD 11-05.

JEEP
09-25-2006, 03:39 PM
It happened again to me today! I was backing out of a parking space, and it stalled agian while in reverse. (I am thankful I was not driving 50 mph again!) But, needless to say, I had to call the dealer, which agreed that they would not be able to duplicate the problem. So, they had me call Chrysler and get another claim number and request a "specialist" from Chrysler to come and look at the car. They said they have to research the situation and call me back. Why can't I get an answer? I feel so unsafe driving this piece of crap!!!!! What does it take for them to open their eyes to this situation???? Will it take someone to get killed for them to take care of this situation???? Waiting for a phone call....

HemiCommander
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Have you contacted the NTSB? You need to file a complaint with the NTSB due to safety concerns on the vehicle. If enough people log a complaint the NTSB will have to investigate and DCX will HAVE to come up with answers or issue a recall.

Although I have had many issues with my XK I have not experianced this one YET however I am just waiting for the day I am heading down I75 to Atlanta at 85 MPH and the thing shuts off :eek:

JEEP
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
So, I finally recieved a phone call back. Chrysler is giving me the run around. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. They told me no one was available. So I asked if they could leave a message, and they said that the supervisor may not be able to call me due to high call volume. Then I asked if there was a specific time I could call back to get a supervisor, and I was told no, that the call volume was too high, I wouldn't get to speak to anyone. What the _______ is that!!!!????? What about customer service! I will be contacting the NTSB, thanks for the advice! In the meantime, I am supposed to wait for the dealership to call me next week. Supposedly the guy from Chrysler in Michigan is on vacation and will try to come next week to spend the day with my car. If they can't duplicate the problem, they basically said tough luck! This is B.S.!!!!

JEEP
09-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Filed a complaint with NTSB. I guess I'm not the only one. I'm going to also contact the Federal Trade Comission.

Ranger6882
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
my commander is in the shop for the 3rd time for this sitiuation. The dealership is working hard to correct the problem but i dont think there getting much suppport from DCX. It appears that we have bean counters in our mitz. I"ll keep ya'll informend,

Ranger6882
09-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Jeep,

did you file complaint with NTSB on line? if so could you give link

HemiCommander
09-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Start with http://www.NTSB.gov

HemiCommander
09-26-2006, 07:38 AM
The NTSB does not deal with automobile safety defects. The agency for that is the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). File a complaint here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jeep5352 thanks for correcting me. I thought I was a little off base but could not for the life of me think of NHTSA! :o

Ranger6882
09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Just a update, got my jeep back today, service mgr contacted DCX they found that my manufacture date had glitch in computer they reset program and said, this should correct problem:o

JEEP
09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
You can also call NHTS at 1-888-327-4236

I'm still on hold for Chrysler, trying to get a supervisor. I can't even get a damn human on the phone. This company is turning into a joke!

Ranger6882-They replaced the entire front control module (computer system) in my car. It didn't work. I hope the problem is corrected for you. When was your manufacture date?

JEEP
09-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Just got off the telephone with Chrysler. The bottom line is that they want me to write and send a certified letter to the Chrysler CEO. If anyone is experiencing this problem, please do it too!

Tom Lasorda-CEO
P.O. Box 218004
Auburn Hills, Michigan 48321

Dabitz
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
it's pretty wacky to have to stop and restart your car on the freeway

This hasn't happened to my 3.7, but you should be able to move the shift to "N" and start the car without doing a full stop. Please don't stop in the middle of a HWY, you might get into a serious accident. My 2 cents!

Ranger6882
09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Jeep,

What they told my wife was that they called chrysler after they again could not duplicate. They stated that there was an updated Flash, they installed flash and was still unable to duplicate error. I'm waiting on the service manager to call me to get clarification of what they wrote on service invoice. I will also send a certified letter tomorrow as well.

Tom Lasorda-CEO
P.O. Box 218004

Katsu
09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Tom Lasorda-CEO
P.O. Box 218004

Tom Lasorda?

Ranger6882
09-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah Baseball guy, I got off the phone with my service manager he is getting CEO name and address

JEEP
09-26-2006, 08:38 PM
So many similiar complaints on NHTSA, it's unbelievable that Chrysler would let a problem like this one prolong without figuring out a solution. Sending a certified letter to CEO and GM tomorrow along with service documents and internet research of other people dealing with the same issues.

Oh and to top it all off, I just experienced the "whistling" sound from the dashboard this past weekend.

ruffing
09-27-2006, 07:32 PM
We have had the problem 5 times. After the frist time we took it in and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is running very poorly at high rpms like it's missing. We are taking it into the dealer tomorrow.
Jeep Commander '06 /4.7

HEMEEE
09-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Don't know if this will help or not, but here is a phone number to the Auburn Hills offices:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766
Phone: +1 248-576-5741

Good luck!

P.S.
The Chrysler CEO is Tom/Thomas
The "Baseball guy" is Tommy ;)

Tom W. Lasorda, Chrysler President and CEO
http://www.industryweek.com/media/NewsItems/11781LaSorda.jpg

http://www.branchrickeyaward.org/images/players/2005nominees/dodgers_lasorda.jpg
TOMMY LASORDA
LOS ANGELES DODGERS

JEEP
10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the number!

Lizmara
10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Add me to the list of people who are experiencing the same problem. Our Commander is approaching 10k miles. A while ago my husband told me that the car shut off while he was driving downhill at a slow speed. Then, last week the car shut off while I was pulling into a parking lot. I was able to throw the car in neutral and turn it back on. Yesterday, the car shut off while we were leaving the Atlanta Falcons football game in downtown Atlanta traffic. It's never shut off at high speeds. It's always been at slow or rolling speeds. And when it shuts off, you can't even tell because the radio & all the gauges stay on as if the car was still running. You don't realize the car shut off until you try to press the gas. It seems to me like the problem might be a computer glitch as a previous poster mentioned.

I was about to call the dealership but I figured I'd check in here first to see what everyone else was experiencing.

A few of you had some fixes from the dealership recently. Did that seem to work? If so, what did the dealership do to fix it?

My Commander Limited V8 build date is 11-2005

bamacommander
10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I have a 3.7 4x4 2006
Commander with 5000 miles with a manufacture date of Dec 2005. We have just experienced a partial stalling at a red light as we were slowing down. Going to take it in for service . Will let you know what happens. I have not seen anyone with a 3.7 posting any problems.

topcop38
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
i was hoping to not hear of any problems with the 3.7.
let us know what you find out.

8300 miles and not a single problem.:)

Bulldog9
10-03-2006, 05:59 AM
OK, I have to say it, I really think this "shuts off at 50MPH" is driver induced. No offense to those who have posted to the contrary. This is kind of like the reason we all have a shift interlock on out auto transmission cars. Remember back in 1982-1984 when Audi had all these cases of 'sudden accelleration?" A huge problem, and almost bankrupted Audi. (I owned an awesome 5000 turbo quattro at the time, the best driging POS I've ever owned, lol) Customers were claiming cars were accellerating out of control by themselves and no matter how hard they stepped on the brakes it would overpower the brakes and go. Peoblem was people were not using the brake pedal when shifting out of park. The idle compensator would blip the throttle and the suprised MOSTLY NEW TO THE CAR driver would quick step on the "brake" and the car yould go VROOM and crash into stuff. Sadly, people were killed. After many years, there never was a solution for why the cars would suddenly loose brake control and have out of control accelleration. Audi's fix? Brake shift interlock....problem solved. Bottomline these were drivers new to the car, new to AUdi's and a european pedal position which at the time put the gas pedal...you got it straight ahead, rather than off to the right as in most American cars at the time. They were hitting the gas, and in a panic instead of letting off just pressed harder, thus "unintended accelleration"

I guess what I am saying, and built off someone on the list (maybe another thread) admitting that the shut off was due to knocking key, that this shuts off at 50 is not somehing to be worried about, except maybe to push your seat back so your knees are not sticking up & hitting the keys. Not flaming anyone, just making a reflective observation. ;D But, if a slight hit of the keys or ring is shutting off the XK, then this should be fixed. I know one peson had the ignition replaced.

Ranger6882
10-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Add me to the list of people who are experiencing the same problem. Our Commander is approaching 10k miles. A while ago my husband told me that the car shut off while he was driving downhill at a slow speed. Then, last week the car shut off while I was pulling into a parking lot. I was able to throw the car in neutral and turn it back on. Yesterday, the car shut off while we were leaving the Atlanta Falcons football game in downtown Atlanta traffic. It's never shut off at high speeds. It's always been at slow or rolling speeds. And when it shuts off, you can't even tell because the radio & all the gauges stay on as if the car was still running. You don't realize the car shut off until you try to press the gas. It seems to me like the problem might be a computer glitch as a previous poster mentioned.

I was about to call the dealership but I figured I'd check in here first to see what everyone else was experiencing.

A few of you had some fixes from the dealership recently. Did that seem to work? If so, what did the dealership do to fix it?

The dealer put new flash on computer has not shut down since build date on ours is 12/5 check with your dealer and have them contact chylser get get updated flash:)

bamacommander
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Took in the Commander today and they could find nothing wrong. They did some kind of flash thing to the computers and told me to let them know if it happens again. The dealer also called HQ and they had no TSB or other sugestions regarding the 3.7. They did say that at idle the AC was running a little rough but that is said to be normal for the 3.7 when you run the AC on high.

topcop38
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
mine does idle a little rough with the AC on.

JEEP
10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
OK, I have to say it, I really think this "shuts off at 50MPH" is driver induced. No offense to those who have posted to the contrary. This is kind of like the reason we all have a shift interlock on out auto transmission cars. Remember back in 1982-1984 when Audi had all these cases of 'sudden accelleration?" A huge problem, and almost bankrupted Audi. (I owned an awesome 5000 turbo quattro at the time, the best driging POS I've ever owned, lol) Customers were claiming cars were accellerating out of control by themselves and no matter how hard they stepped on the brakes it would overpower the brakes and go. Peoblem was people were not using the brake pedal when shifting out of park. The idle compensator would blip the throttle and the suprised MOSTLY NEW TO THE CAR driver would quick step on the "brake" and the car yould go VROOM and crash into stuff. Sadly, people were killed. After many years, there never was a solution for why the cars would suddenly loose brake control and have out of control accelleration. Audi's fix? Brake shift interlock....problem solved. Bottomline these were drivers new to the car, new to AUdi's and a european pedal position which at the time put the gas pedal...you got it straight ahead, rather than off to the right as in most American cars at the time. They were hitting the gas, and in a panic instead of letting off just pressed harder, thus "unintended accelleration"

I guess what I am saying, and built off someone on the list (maybe another thread) admitting that the shut off was due to knocking key, that this shuts off at 50 is not somehing to be worried about, except maybe to push your seat back so your knees are not sticking up & hitting the keys. Not flaming anyone, just making a reflective observation. ;D But, if a slight hit of the keys or ring is shutting off the XK, then this should be fixed. I know one peson had the ignition replaced.

I guess you have never experienced this problem. I am not crazy. And I am short and my knees come nowhere close to the key. There is a malfunction with the Jeep Commander. Trust me, I'm a very experienced driver!

JEEP
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
It's been one week and Jeep still has my car. This time they state they adjusted the base idle. They still were not able to duplicate the issue. The dealership has been great. This is a tough situation to deal with.
My husband requested that they put the "black box" on my car too, so they are looking into it. Still no definate fix.

JEEP
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Update on our Commander stalling- I received it back from the dealership not fixed, but with a recording device on it the end of August. Well, around 1000 miles later- guess what- it stalled again. I was able to capture the incident with the recording device my dealership left on the car for me. Now, it is back at the dealership and they have forwarded the capture to Chrysler in Detroit. :rolleyes: We will see what they have to say next and will keep you posted....

Any news? Very curious!

Ranger6882
10-05-2006, 04:20 PM
what is your manufacture date, Jeep. If its around 12/5 then there is new flash for on board computer which they did to mine last month it appears this has corrected the problem!

JEEP
10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
what is your manufacture date, Jeep. If its around 12/5 then there is new flash for on board computer which they did to mine last month it appears this has corrected the problem!

Mine is 12/05 too. Please explain what they did. They had replaced my entire computer system a few weeks ago, but that didn't work. It took another 700 miles to occur again.

2JeepFamily
10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Update on our commander- we finally got it back from the dealership again after they had it for 2+ weeks. It appears that they have replaced the "control module" per the service manager. The documentation states they replaced PCM and updated all software. They received a new blank one and flashed all the information for the computer onto it. They believe this will be the "fix" for the car stalling. I have only driven it a few hundred miles since then, so I don't think I will feel comfortable that it is truly fixed until I have a few thousand more miles on it and it hasn't happened again. It looks like previous posters have had their dealerships do this same thing and hopefully it really is the fix. Comment to previous poster that thinks this is something the driver is doing to cause this- there may be a few different reasons this is happening to various owners- maybe faulty ignition is one scenario. I have never had the stall happen going faster than 5-10 MPH. I have other vehicles - Jeeps as well, so if this was in fact something the "driver" was doing, wouldn't you expect I would have seen this in my other Jeep? Same goes for any other car. The fact is, if your car stalls there is a problem with the vehicle and it needs to be figured out. Take care and good luck getting the stalling resolved for those of you experiencing it.

Southsidegirl
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
To everyone experiencing this problem:

I don't have this on my Commander - build date was 6/06. However, in 1979/1980 I owned a Dodge Diplomat that shut off all the time; at stoplights, while parking, and most upsetting, going 70 MPH on the highway - did it more than once on the highway -I know what you mean by trying to pull over to the side w/o your power steering. It happened to me once after a 'red eye' flight home from a business trip. I was stuck in the toll booth on the expressway. I had to ride home alone with the tow truck driver at 3AM. I was scared to death! Thank goodness he was a decent guy. I had the car repaired 21, yes, 21 times for this problem. I actually had to buy a car from my parents that they weren't using because my beautiful new car was always in the shop. This was before the lemon laws and there was nothing I could do. I contacted the Regional Rep., etc. and nothing changed. I even contacted Chrysler and told them about their claims (at that time) of the 'New Chrysler Corporation'. They told me my car was built under the old corporation!!! I didn't feel right selling it with the problem, so I just kept getting it repaired until they finally got it done right. I had to go to my local ABC news station which had a "7 On Your Side' segment. They contacted Chrysler/Dodge and told them they were going to put it on TV. THAT's what got the car fixed correctly. I sold it as soon as I was convinced it was safe, and refused to purchase a Chrysler product again until my Sebring Convertible in 1999. The Commander is only my second Chrysler product since that bad experience, so I truly hope that I don't have the problems that you all have had.

Just wanted to share and let you know I really do feel for all of you, and I hope your situations are cleared up ASAP.

JEEP
10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Guess what! It happened again today. Car is going back in the shop tomorrow. This time I was going about 15 mph about to turn on my street, and it shut off. Guess it's still not fixed.

crimsonhemi
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
THere are two distinct problems as I read the posts.
First, the key problem. If the key is turned slightly(not completely) the engine will come back "on." (It never really shut off. Just the accessories)
Second the dying problem. I believe this is attributed to the computer systems on the vehicles and changing weather patterns. The computer constantly monitors changes in driving habit, weather, etc. and tries to adjust the engine fuel mixtures accordingly. Sometimes the computer systems cannot "keep up" monitoring and gets "confused." This causes momentary lapses in performance and sometimes the engine stalls. This is kind of like your PC at home. You're going along and there is an "error" the system has to shut down. No one knows what causes it. You send the error report to Microsoft, etc. and then you go about your business....never knowing if changes will be made.
Yes, I understand this is your car and it's "different." However, with all the laws governing emissions, fuel mileage, performance, etc. manufacturers are trying to comply and still keep cars running. A tough juggling act.
This is just theory based upon 28 years of experience in the Auto industry.

SDBaja
10-24-2006, 06:16 PM
It would be beneficial if everyone that experiences this type of issue note the build date, 4x4 or 4x2 or trans type ( some posts talk about leaks in transfer cases causing the issue) and engine type. I've seen many posts on this issue but no one seems to be able to pin it down. Let's help narrow the field.

build 06/2006, 4X4 QD, hemi, new and have not had this issue.

wvcommander
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
If you do not know, there is a pending Flash coming out soon for this problem. When I get the info, I'll past it along

Ranger6882
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Commander died again today we thought they found problem and repaired when they installed new flash, called my dealer they are going to install a recording device to capture exactly the problem, this will be the 5th time I have brought in vehicle for this problem:(

Creek
10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
I would be looking into the Lemon Law

wyocommander
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
All these 'flashes' and 'new flashes'.
Shades of the Chrysler/Plymouth minivan transmission problems?
Trannys going out and vehicles catching on fire.
The tranny probs. gave Chrysler 'quality' a black eye.
Now we have 'dying' problems. Unfortunately, a few of us may have to before
Chrysler is FORCED, by law suits and bad publicity, to actually gets serious about fixing their engineering. If this is a general 'computer' or 'technology' problem having to do with emissions, etc., then why aren't other manufacturers having it? Is DC really that bad at engineering?
I have already posted, as have others, about the false claims of 'sudden acceleration' against Audi and agree that driver error can be a factor. However, 'the knee hitting the key' (yes, I'm guilty)doesn't appear to explain most of what I have been reading here and on other sites. Then again, I'm no engineer, just a lowly retired IBM systems analyst. All seriousness aside, maybe this is just mass hysteria and will ultimately be attributed to 'sudden decelleration syndrome'.

Bulldog9
10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
All seriousness aside, maybe this is just mass hysteria and will ultimately be attributed to 'sudden decelleration syndrome'.

I think there may be a few legit vehicle induced stalls, but mostly is driver hitting the key, much like the Audi Issue and feet on the wrong pedals.

One thing that makes me wonder though is if the Grand Cherokee has the same issues? I believe the lower dash section in the Commander is shared with teh Grand Cherokee. Do they have this 'shut off' problem?

topcop38
10-27-2006, 03:17 PM
i don't think these are driver induced. mine has never shut off but i wiggled my key to see how feasible this was. i think it would take more than a bump to shut it off.
also the problem seems to be limited to the V8s. are the 4.7s and 5.7s both doing it? i haven't heard of any 3.7 doing it.
also, i am 6' tall and my knee isn't even close to touching the key.

Ranger6882
10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Got my jeep back for dealer they installed a computer under the driver seat with a coax going to the computer plug in to the left of the steering wheel, then a lanyared down the console resting by the cup holders when vehicle shuts down again we are instructed to hit switch and it will record 50 sec before and 15 sec after. :confused: If dealership cannot fix after I furnish them with data they will be getting a commader back! It really pisses me off that I purchased a 40k vehicle and i got cables running through the interior!!!!!! Not to mention when vehicle stalled for the 4 th time I called dealer informend him of the situtation and said that I needed my 18K service so install computer then. I get my vehicle back 4 hours later, smells like a gas station inside, I go around to passenger side door and there is oil all over the threshold and oil hand prints all over leather on door. I brought this to the attention of the servcie advisor which he wiped with some type of solvant that really made the inside stink! I get the vehicle home and I'm looking at the wheels and noticed there was no hand prints on the wheels to indicate that tires were rotated. I call the Service Manger explain to him what happened and if indeed they rotated my tires, he assured me that they did and that they would not put something on the invoice that they did not do, Which I replied it is odd, they can trash the interior of mhy vehicle with oily hands and feet but there was no hand prints on wheels or lug nuts due to tire rotation. I'm so pissed I can't see straigh, I'm sure reading this your probbly getting tired head HAD TO VENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

HemiCommander
10-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Vent on brother! That is part of what this is all about. If I had the situation you had I would be beyond pissed too! :mad:

I am extreemly anoyed at the fact that they still cannot get the darned front passanger window "auto-up" to work! The dammed thing will go half way up and then back down...hell, yesterday I had it only half way down...stopped by Circuit City and it took 5 tries to get the window shut!

Good Luck!

HemiCommander
10-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I think there may be a few legit vehicle induced stalls, but mostly is driver hitting the key, much like the Audi Issue and feet on the wrong pedals. ...

Although I agree that it is easy to shut the engine off with your knee - I did it twice before realizing what the hell I was doing (adjusted my seating position further away) - I think these are legit problems.... It is one thing to hit the switch when driving around the city ...but most people do not fidgit that much when driving the freeway.

I think DCX needs to step up to the plate, take ownership of the issue...and FIX the PROBLEM.

We wonder WHY American autos (and other products) have such a BAD wrap? :confused: If they did like the Asian companies and found the ROOT cause of the issue rather than pawning it off to "uhhhh we don't know...and it's your problem" America just might be able to keep jobs here AND mfg's. like Ford will not HAVE to close plants down!

Now ... that is just my opinion!

Ranger6882
10-27-2006, 08:44 PM
i'm 6'-3" my seat is as far back as it goes and my knee is know where near the ignition key, I now for a fact that this was not causing my car to suddenly stall. Even if you drive with your face close to the windshield and seat adjusted fully foward I would think that hitting your knee on the key would hurt as well as get your attention of why car stalled.

Ranger6882
10-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I am extreemly anoyed at the fact that they still cannot get the darned front passanger window "auto-up" to work! The dammed thing will go half way up and then back down...hell, yesterday I had it only half way down...stopped by Circuit City and it took 5 tries to get the window shut!

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

My passenger side window did the same thing took in vehicle 3 times before they corrected the problem, 1st time they said they replaced regulator, 2nd time they greased armitor and last time they replaced regulator again. It has worked fine every since and that was about 3K miles ago. But maybe my elbow was hitting the auto button and I didn't know it :rolleyes:

HEMEEE
10-28-2006, 02:38 AM
I think there may be a few legit vehicle induced stalls, but mostly is driver hitting the key, much like the Audi Issue and feet on the wrong pedals.

One thing that makes me wonder though is if the Grand Cherokee has the same issues? I believe the lower dash section in the Commander is shared with teh Grand Cherokee. Do they have this 'shut off' problem?We have a Cherokee SRT8 site - no similar issues reported there that I know of, but interestingly, an ETC problem was just posted on our Nitro (http://www.dodge-nitro.com/dodge-nitro/showthread.php?t=125) site. No established pattern yet, (only a few have purchased since it's so new), but this thread was the first thing I thought of and I did post a link for the owner to review.

Mango~Ridge
10-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Ranger6882, take it to the dealer and have the passanger door window regulator motor replaced under warranty. Our dealer had them in stock which tells me they know about the problem. We had the same problem.

JEEP
10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Got my jeep back for dealer they installed a computer under the driver seat with a coax going to the computer plug in to the left of the steering wheel, then a lanyared down the console resting by the cup holders when vehicle shuts down again we are instructed to hit switch and it will record 50 sec before and 15 sec after. :confused: If dealership cannot fix after I furnish them with data they will be getting a commader back! It really pisses me off that I purchased a 40k vehicle and i got cables running through the interior!!!!!! Not to mention when vehicle stalled for the 4 th time I called dealer informend him of the situtation and said that I needed my 18K service so install computer then. I get my vehicle back 4 hours later, smells like a gas station inside, I go around to passenger side door and there is oil all over the threshold and oil hand prints all over leather on door. I brought this to the attention of the servcie advisor which he wiped with some type of solvant that really made the inside stink! I get the vehicle home and I'm looking at the wheels and noticed there was no hand prints on the wheels to indicate that tires were rotated. I call the Service Manger explain to him what happened and if indeed they rotated my tires, he assured me that they did and that they would not put something on the invoice that they did not do, Which I replied it is odd, they can trash the interior of mhy vehicle with oily hands and feet but there was no hand prints on wheels or lug nuts due to tire rotation. I'm so pissed I can't see straigh, I'm sure reading this your probbly getting tired head HAD TO VENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I'm so sorry you are going through the same exact thing as me. Well, it's a week later and Jeep still has my Commander. Feel free to vent anytime! Well funny that you have the data recorder in your vehicle. We asked for it the last time we had the stalling problem, and they said there was no such thing. Then we were told that they couldn't put it in our car b/c we wouldn't know what to do and they would never let us drive with this "expensive" computer in our car. Well, then my car stalled again last week. After taking it into Jeep, on of the employees drove my car home and did put the data recorder on my car. FINALLY, they were able to record some sort of data. They said something to do with the idle. My car didn't actually stall for them, but they were able to capture a fault. Well, needless to say, I sent my claim for the lemon law too last week. I'm over driving a death trap. It's just a sticky situation, b/c everytime I bring the car in, they can't duplicate the issue. Well, now that they found something, we'll see what happens. I just will never feel safe driving my car ever again! Keep me posted on your situation. Did you contact the NHTSA yet? Did you claim lemon law yet after 5 times? Good luck!

JEEP
10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh and this "stalling" situation is definately not a problem inflicted by the driver. There is no way. It is a malfunction by Chrysler manufacturing! I just wish they would find a solution to this mess!

JEEP
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
i don't think these are driver induced. mine has never shut off but i wiggled my key to see how feasible this was. i think it would take more than a bump to shut it off.
also the problem seems to be limited to the V8s. are the 4.7s and 5.7s both doing it? i haven't heard of any 3.7 doing it.
also, i am 6' tall and my knee isn't even close to touching the key.

Mine is a 3.7.

b2gjeep
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a 3.7 4x4 2006
Commander with 5000 miles with a manufacture date of Dec 2005. We have just experienced a partial stalling at a red light as we were slowing down. Going to take it in for service . Will let you know what happens. I have not seen anyone with a 3.7 posting any problems.

We have a 2006 w/ 3.7 and we're experiencing the same symptons as most everyone else is. Seems to be happening when the air temp is cooler - although that could be coincidental. Vehicle is at the dealership for the second time (same complaint). I was told that they were unable to duplicate the condition. We'll see what they say in the AM. Note: Dealership told me I should drop i off and that I would have be without transportation (I don't think so). I'll keep you posted.

2JeepFamily
11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi all-
Just wanted to check in on this thread- I may be jinxing myself, but I have now driven our commander about 3000K miles since the dealership replaced PCM and reflashed software and we have had no problems with it stalling. Good luck to those of you out there still experiencing and keep on the service dept's- make them put that data recorder in your vehicles, because until they can get data capture proving the stall, they don't move very quickly.

Take care and happy wheeling

JEEP
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Fourteen days later, I have my Commander back again. For the third attempt to fix this problem, they finally were able to record data on the Starmobile while they were driving my vehicle. So, now they installed some revised software and and flash reprogrammed PCM to latest level. Working on the Lemon Law. It's not worth anyone's safety!

chaman
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
So is this far more common with the 3.7 and 4.7? Mine is a HEMI and so far is doing well. I think since the 5.7 is taken from the LX platform does not have this? The LX platform has been somewhat a very reliable one so far.

chaman
11-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Nevermind...just found out it has bee reported on all engines...weird..!!

kfbagt
11-08-2006, 12:02 AM
it really makes you think that it is some sort of computer problem if all engines are having the trouble. My 4.7 only idles at about 550, that seems kind of low to me but I guess some people say that it shuts off when running at higher speeds. Makes me wonder if it is a spark problem and some engines may be flooding. Mine has never cut off so I dont know what the experience is like. Some people say that they get a little better mileage by putting in some performance plugs and maybe some of the folks who have a habitual problem should try that and let us know what happens.

chaman
11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Mine idles higher. I say at least between 650 to 750 aprox.

slenhe
11-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I've done some internet searching. and this looks to be a growing issue.
Its defintely not the key getting bumped!

The dealership is playing dumb (I've brought it in over 4 times, and each time I get it back with out resolution)...Basically, it a game that will possibly lead to a serious crash.

This shutdown issue definetly needs to be raised to some legal group to ensure that people dont start dying from the issue.

It happens driving on the freeway, and when slowing down; so its not limited to one situation.

Ranger6882
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Slenhe,

Has your dealership installed the starmobile computer unit yet? Ours stalled about 3 weeks ago it was the 5th time, it stalls between 2,000-3,000 miles we are close to that mark now. I'm giving the dealership one more chance to correct issue when computer stores data on next stall my commander has 20,000 miles so far and I will be getting them to restart my warranty due to the fact it has not operated correctly since the day I purchased. If by chance they correct the problem after data is provided to them I will initiate the Lemmon Law. I don't believe the 2007 models are having this issue. Good luck and I'll keep in touch with forum of our progress as things unfold

crockette
11-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I have not had a single issue with my Commander as yet... knock on wood. I did however own two Tahoe's and the first one I filed the lemon law with a lawyer group I found on line via typing in lemon law suit on a search engine. They were out of Chicago. I kept and or got copies from the dealership of all my visits and sent them to this firm. I got a couple of offers to settle which went down each time. After about a year it was finally time to come to litigation or mediator... The day before the firm called me with an offer which was about what I told them I would settle for... I then told them no I wanted a thousand bucks more to settle or I would just drive up for the litigation. They countered with the full amount I was requesting. I got 7k to basically drop the suit and do whatever I wanted to do with the Tahoe. I bought it used with 8k miles on it and at that point still had warranty. I traded it in for a new Tahoe and loved it... I have now traded that on this Commander which other than not being as high off the ground (so the 2" lift now helps) and not having as much room.. I am happy with this Jeep!

I didn't mention to the dealership I was filing the Lemon Law because I thought they would be difficult about getting me copies of my work orders. If I had already had them though I would mention it to maybe give them a little more sense of urgency. If you had it in for a major issue such as this more than 4-5 times I would consider filing.

slenhe
11-11-2006, 02:01 PM
THey did put it in for a short amount of mileage, and complained about it til I gave it back.

I'm at 16,700 (it happened most recently at 16,400) and prior to that it happened at 14,100.
That makes it about 6-8 times the Jeep Commander just stopped working will I was driving....
So, good luck wtih the computer read....And hopefully Chrysler can fix it before someone crash and burns.

John
11-19-2006, 05:27 AM
I just ordered a 2007 Overland (comes standard with the Hemi engine). Had I seen this thread before I might not have bought a Commander. I am planning on using it to tow my TJ, which with trailer, will weigh about 6,500 #'s. IMAGIN trying pull over or stop with that rig if it stalls. Does anyone know if this problem is solved on the 2,007 models? Mine is not yet even built. john

TR4Runner
11-19-2006, 07:22 AM
it really makes you think that it is some sort of computer problem if all engines are having the trouble. My 4.7 only idles at about 550, that seems kind of low to me but I guess some people say that it shuts off when running at higher speeds. .

If the stalling problem is occuring on all three engines, then it is most definitely something that all three engines have in common. The Ford Escape V6 engine had the same problem, but it took Ford nearly three full model years before they fixed the problem. I believe they reflashed the PCM, which was exactly what they should have done in the first place.

rubicontrail.net
11-19-2006, 07:44 AM
I just ordered a 2007 Overland (comes standard with the Hemi engine). Had I seen this thread before I might not have bought a Commander. I am planning on using it to tow my TJ, which with trailer, will weigh about 6,500 #'s. IMAGIN trying pull over or stop with that rig if it stalls. Does anyone know if this problem is solved on the 2,007 models? Mine is not yet even built. john

There are few of us that have the 2007s. But so far, knock on wood, twice, left hand... it has not happened with me. I am curious if it has to do with the electronic throttle control (ie. does it run a little rough right before it stalls?) or a faulty ASD relay?

Ranger6882
11-19-2006, 08:32 AM
There is no hesitation that I can tell in engine before engine stalls, its been stalling around 2500 miles I got about 400 miles to go then I can give data on flight recorder to dealer!

OKCommander
11-20-2006, 09:48 AM
My Commander stalled yesterday as I was doing 75-80 mph. :eek: I was able to pull off the side of the road. Come to find out, my knee hit the key and turned off the ignition. For a a second I thought that I was experiencing the engine problem that others have experienced. I was relieved to figure out that it was my knee that turned the Commander off.

Bulldog9
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
My Commander stalled yesterday as I was doing 75-80 mph. :eek: I was able to pull off the side of the road. Come to find out, my knee hit the key and turned off the ignition. For a a second I thought that I was experiencing the engine problem that others have experienced. I was relieved to figure out that it was my knee that turned the Commander off.

Thanks for your willingness to admit to it! LOL. I'm sure that a few cars have problems, but I think this is the most common cause...........

REGARDLESS..... Jeep needs to address it, maybe a stiffer lockset? detachable key ring? Or how about an FOB that connects in the center?

Glad youre OK............. Regardless of the cause, this is a dangerous thing.

How did you hit it and how did you figure out you did? I noticed that if I dont put the key in the right way, that the angle it is left at actually makes the key more prone to shut off, as the place where it attaches to the ring is at the edge of the key (as opposed to center) and is at 11 oclock. If I had a heavy key ring, just bumping the ring might be just enough to pull the key back and shut off the car. So to mitigate it, I reduced the number of keys on my ring, and make sure when I put it in that the key chain hangs at the 5pm position.

This is not to flame anyone who genuinely believes their car just shuts off, just an observation and maybe a suggestion to try............... BUt if anyone feels the need to flame me, go ahead, I understand :D

Ranger6882
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
OKcommader, your vehicle stalls 75-80 mph? You determine you knee turned ignition off? PLease help me to understand this. When vehicle shuts down do you not feel it in your knee? Are you doing arobics going 75mph? Is your face up against the windshield? I have tried to shut vehicle down with my knee and I'm unable! PLease inlighten all of us that is expericning this problem!

Bulldog,

You have flammed me! I'm fully aware of my surroundings and my vehicle. I know for a fact that my knee or demons did not turn ignition off (key still in start position!)

hal2814
11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Ranger6882, get over yourself. You can pretty easily nudge the key with you knee and shut it off. I've even done it once in a Whataburger parking lot. In my case, I had my daughter's car seat behind me and that caused me to sit up further than usual (but not a whole lot further). I didn't know I hit the ignition at first because my leg felt like it hit under the dash. That dangblasted key is sitting so low I guess I nudged it in the process. It was firmly in the off position.

I'm not saying that happened in your situation but if you're going to consider possible simple solutions as a flame, then it sounds to me like you're not looking for a solution at all. You're looking for someone to blame.

I do wish you the best of luck though. Cars shutting off unexpectedly can be dangerous regardless of the reason.

OKCommander
11-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Ranger- I was doing a very basic thing that could happen to anyone. I was stretching. The Commander was on auto pilot ( I mean cruise control) and I moved my right knee up and it touched the key. At first I didn't think about it actually turning the car off and then I realized that I had because the key was in the accessory position and the car was just coasting. I had been in the fast lane and was able to move over the right shoulder of the road. As soon as I was able to stop I put the vehicle in park and start it right up.

I do feel that this is a fluke thing, but at the same time I do feel that something should be done to prevent it from happening. I wonder if the 2007 FOB is even larger because of the additional buttons which will increase the chances of the key getting turned off while in motion.

HemiCommander
11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Early on I knocked the key and shut the engine off.... I did not have to stop - I simply put the gear switch to nutrual and hit the ignition - the Hemi came right back to life.

I am much more conscious when I am on a road trip and move my leg - plus I have adjusted my seathing position and peddles so I am further away from the switch - HOWEVER - I do agree that DCX really needs to address this issue. I'd love to see a key fob "push to start" switch or bio-metric starter in the near future.

JEEP
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, I am definately short, and I drive with one key. So, it is definately not my knee as I've stated before. And my keys are not heavy b/c I just drive with the one car key. Weird!

CheepCommander
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum and, unfortunately, I am new to the Jeep Commander. I purchased a new commander 2006 4..7 V8 just 6 days ago and have about 600 miles on it. At around 350 miles I experienced the low MPH power cutoff. THe thing simply turned off on me. I experienced this again two days later. Both occurrences could have resulted in a wreck. Fortunately, they did not.

I took the JC into the local CHrysler dealer and they told me they couldn't find anyhting wrong...no codes..nothing. The truck's idle seems irregular fairly regularly. I smell gasoline sometimes. The power doesn't always seem the same. My gas mileage is ridiculous. I am getting 10 mpg with Highway driving.
Dealer told me mpg would be under for awhile during "break-in" period. What does that mean? Sounds like BS> Sticker says 15 town 20 HWY.

Anyway, what do I need to do to get rid of this piece of trash? I already filed a complaint with NHTSB. I am afraid to drive this thing. I have already been in a car wreck once in my life and cannot feel comfortable in a potentially unsafe car. Anyone have any feedback on this? What can I do to invoke Lemon with this>?

I should have stayed with the older MErcedes I was driving.

WORRIED AND PISSED

PS> NO, I have not touched the key while driving.

rubicontrail.net
12-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Hello. I am new to this forum and, unfortunately, I am new to the Jeep Commander. I purchased a new commander 2006 4..7 V8 just 6 days ago and have about 600 miles on it. At around 350 miles I experienced the low MPH power cutoff. THe thing simply turned off on me. I experienced this again two days later. Both occurrences could have resulted in a wreck. Fortunately, they did not.

I took the JC into the local CHrysler dealer and they told me they couldn't find anyhting wrong...no codes..nothing. The truck's idle seems irregular fairly regularly. I smell gasoline sometimes. The power doesn't always seem the same. My gas mileage is ridiculous. I am getting 10 mpg with Highway driving.
Dealer told me mpg would be under for awhile during "break-in" period. What does that mean? Sounds like BS> Sticker says 15 town 20 HWY.

Anyway, what do I need to do to get rid of this piece of trash? I already filed a complaint with NHTSB. I am afraid to drive this thing. I have already been in a car wreck once in my life and cannot feel comfortable in a potentially unsafe car. Anyone have any feedback on this? What can I do to invoke Lemon with this>?

WORRIED AND PISSED

If you are in stop and go you might get 10mpg, otherwise you should be getting above 14. As far as lemon laws don't ask that question here. The lemon laws are provided to you when you buy a new car. As they are different for each state, how about you take a moment to read them. Also, post more helpful information like what year vehicle you have.

Ranger6882
12-02-2006, 06:42 AM
I Feel your pain, CheepCommander. I would suggest that when you speak to your service advisor that you demand them to install a star mobil to record error which the on board computer is apperantly not. Good luck!

CheepCommander
12-02-2006, 08:58 AM
If you are in stop and go you might get 10mpg, otherwise you should be getting above 14. As far as lemon laws don't ask that question here. The lemon laws are provided to you when you buy a new car. As they are different for each state, how about you take a moment to read them. Also, post more helpful information like what year vehicle you have.
Gee thanks for the icy welcome Rubicon! So, how much stock do you own in Daimler? As far as Lemon Laws are concerned, or for that matter....ANY QUESTION...who are you to tell me what to ask? Furthermore, if you could READ, you woud have noted that I DID mention the model and year of my JC<

Did you have the day off from the service department or are you moving into sales>?

Lemon Laws all share certain common aspects. I am simply asking what others' experiences have been in regards to JC shut-off problems in light of Lemon Laws.

I am getting well below the advertised MPG rating upon which I based my decision to purchase. You're saying I should be getting less than that.

Ranger6882
12-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I think he was trying to say the manufacture date

Bulldog9
12-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I smell a Troll

OKCommander
12-02-2006, 12:10 PM

WORRIED AND PISSED

I thought that it was common knowledge that engines have to be broke-in when they are brand new. I have heard some manufacturers say 500 miles and others say 1000.

Our 5.7L has increased mpg since we bought it back in September. It has not increased significantly, but it has increased and we have about 4,000 miles on it.

As far as lemon laws go check your state's Attorney General website. That would be a good place to start. I thought that for a lemon law to be applied the same problem had to occur multiple times for the same type of vehicle (and that might be just occurrences within your particular state only. Have you tried to take the car to a different dealership to see if they have a different response?

chaman
12-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Gee thanks for the icy welcome Rubicon! So, how much stock do you own in Daimler? As far as Lemon Laws are concerned, or for that matter....ANY QUESTION...who are you to tell me what to ask? Furthermore, if you could READ, you woud have noted that I DID mention the model and year of my JC<

Did you have the day off from the service department or are you moving into sales>?

Lemon Laws all share certain common aspects. I am simply asking what others' experiences have been in regards to JC shut-off problems in light of Lemon Laws.

I am getting well below the advertised MPG rating upon which I based my decision to purchase. You're saying I should be getting less than that.

Maybe a change of attitude would help dont you think??? No one here deserves been treated like you did to Rubicon....he was trying to help actually. I would have some advice for you but by how you sound....I really dont care of your troubles......good night...

HEMEEE
12-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I think/hope this was just a misunderstanding; we all know emotions run high when it comes to our vehicles.
Let's take a deep breath and start fresh.

The one thing I will ask, is if you have questions about the lemon law or other topics, please start a new thread and provide a link here.
Please keep this thread focused and on track - the content is far too important to muddy the waters.

Thank you

slenhe
12-03-2006, 11:21 AM
This is a death vehicle about to happen...I get in the vehicle everyday praying that I dont crash and kill myself and/or another driver when driving the Jeep Commander....
I will be starting the Lemon Law process, and hopefully Chrysler will be willing to move fast rather then fight that they've got a serious problem with the Jeep Commander!!!

CheepCommander
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Maybe a change of attitude would help dont you think??? No one here deserves been treated like you did to Rubicon....he was trying to help actually. I would have some advice for you but by how you sound....I really dont care of your troubles......good night...

I couldn't care LESS what you think, CHAMAN. If you read the original post by Rubicon , you would see that it was HE (or she) that "crossed the proverbial RUBICON" with regard to being unwelcoming. So why don't you keep your commentary to yourself about my attitude. Or at least maybe read a little harder next time before you pass judgement. :)

CheepCommander
12-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I thought that it was common knowledge that engines have to be broke-in when they are brand new. I have heard some manufacturers say 500 miles and others say 1000.

Our 5.7L has increased mpg since we bought it back in September. It has not increased significantly, but it has increased and we have about 4,000 miles on it.

As far as lemon laws go check your state's Attorney General website. That would be a good place to start. I thought that for a lemon law to be applied the same problem had to occur multiple times for the same type of vehicle (and that might be just occurrences within your particular state only. Have you tried to take the car to a different dealership to see if they have a different response?

I will take it to a different dealer soon. The one that sold it to me is telling me to put ethanol-based fuel injector cleaner in it because it mayhave condensation in the gas tank. I think I will let them do that...I do not want to run the risk of getting the wrong product. As far as the break-in period is concerned, I have no problem with there being one...but I have almost 1000miles on it already and the MPG has gone down since I first drove it (first 300 miles).

Any way you cut it, it is false advertising and bad business to claim that the MPG rating is something other than what it really is. So far on this forum I have yet to hear of anyone getting what this vehicle is supposed to get in MPG.

Regarding the engine shut-off problem, it is a serious safety risk. The bottom line is that anyone that has this problem, regardless of make and model, is at a serious risk. That is unacceptable. Thank you by the way for your kind and civil comments OK COmmander.

bravo2376
12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't know where I was during all this misconstrued posts. But my stuff hasn't shut off yet at 5500 miles. I done take her in the trails on the weekends and massage her during the week. You just have to know how to handle her.

Bulldog9
12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I will take it to a different dealer soon. The one that sold it to me is telling me to put ethanol-based fuel injector cleaner in it because it mayhave condensation in the gas tank. I think I will let them do that...I do not want to run the risk of getting the wrong product. As far as the break-in period is concerned, I have no problem with there being one...but I have almost 1000miles on it already and the MPG has gone down since I first drove it (first 300 miles).

Any way you cut it, it is false advertising and bad business to claim that the MPG rating is something other than what it really is. So far on this forum I have yet to hear of anyone getting what this vehicle is supposed to get in MPG.

Regarding the engine shut-off problem, it is a serious safety risk. The bottom line is that anyone that has this problem, regardless of make and model, is at a serious risk. That is unacceptable. Thank you by the way for your kind and civil comments OK COmmander.

Sorry your JC has been bad so far. How many miles do you have now? Does it continue to stall? or just those two times? I guess it is possible that some bad gas or water in the tank could cause bad gas mileage or stalling, but, only for that tank. I always put a bottle of Chevron Techtron and run it through before every oil change, That may help with water condensation, and keeps things clean (at least in my mind) :D

I'm at about 5600 miles, and on my normal city commute (9 miles) get an easy 14-15mpg, and on the highway get over 20 if I keep it below 65. Bumper to bumper (as in 40 minues to drive 9 miles) I get about 12..... I hate that...... :( There is a thread on fuel mileage where people have listed their experience.

One thing I dont understand is WHY ARE PEOPLE (not you in particular) SO BENT OUT OF SHAPE on the fuel mileage? Is it so much worse than the Durango, Grand Cherokee, 4 Runner, Sequoia, Explorer? If you are getting less than 10mpg, even with light throttle, and some highway, you have a problem. Maybe a nice long Highway drive next Saturday?

On the shutting off issue, several people here on the forum have admitted that the issue is caused by their hitting the key, some arent sure, and others are 100% certain they havent touched it or that their key rings arent pulling it off. I'm certain that some vehicles have mechanical/electrical problems, but by my count, there have been about 12-13 people on this forum who have had their commander shut off on this forum with no key bump, thats not a whole lot. I feel bad for them.

topcop38
12-03-2006, 06:08 PM
just turned 10,000 miles last week with our 3.7 and haven't had a single problem with ours. build date was 1/06. as for the MPG, the sticker reads 16 in town and 20 or 21 (can't remenber) hwy. we get 15.3 in town and only had it on the highway once for a short trip when we first got it and got 20 mpg. pretty close to advertised. it kept getting better until about 3000 miles then leveled off. was only getting 13.5 when we first got it. very happy with it.

wyocommander
12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
XK, 4.7, Base, Date of Manu = 12/05, odometer=3,000,averaging around 18mpg combined city/country road/highway. No major problems. One operator induced 'sudden deceleration' incident.

We find the mileage to be what we were told by the Jeep dealer(pretty much as advertised to us) and reasonable. Overall, our experience has been a positive one compared to other vehicles(Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Pilot, Tribeca, Explorer, etc.) we have owned.

We do a lot of research, read forums, talk to people we have received good info. from in the past and take at least a couple of thorough test drives usually totaling close to 100 miles before we buy. When we haven't we have regretted it. Sometimes when we have we have still not been totally correct in our assessment. We use the net to get quotes and set up test drives. There are always at least a couple of dealers who will allow thorough test drives. It may require us to drive 50 miles or more to another dealer, but a vehicle is a major purchase to us, so it is worth the extra gas and time.

We waited until the XK had been out about a year before getting serious. We found considerable info. had accumulated during this time. Weighing it all, we decided it warranted our continued consideration.

Many comments we read were very helpful. Others were helpful and indicated that the folks did not thoroughly research the vehicle and/or didn't take a thorough test drive before purchasing. Some commentors appeared to be chiming in just to be chiming in and trying to get a reaction(Trolls?). There appear to be product haters that don't like Toyotas or Hondas or Jeeps, etc. or just like to stir things up.

However, when deciding on a product, if there are a lot of negative comments that seem to be legitimate they help in making our decision. If there is not enough data available to make what we consider a responsible decision, that may cause us to wait until there is. Regarding the XK, after careful consideration of all input and experience, the negatives we read about(gas mileage, wind noise, shut offs, etc.) were not enough to cause us to choose a different vehicle. Our assessment was that it was an overall positive vehicle that we enjoyed(it was FUN, very important) and met our wants and needs. Evidently thousands of other shoppers agreed with us. If we have problems in the future, we have ourselves to look at as well as the product.

rubicontrail.net
12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I managed to bump the key today while sitting at the gas station (reached around to the back seat and managed to move my knee up to a place it wouldn't normally have went while driving and hit the key).

It seems DCX might have made the key TOO easy to turn off. I have the seat set so it wouldn't happen normally while driving but I could see that maybe some people might have the seat up a little closer and they could bump it.

rubicontrail.net
12-04-2006, 07:32 AM
I am getting 10 mpg with Highway driving.

Over the weekend I went on a 250+ mile roadtrip. 95% of it was highway driving spent with the cruise control set to 79mph. The elevations ranged from 1000 to 2000 feet above sea level. There were crosswinds of probably 20mph - 30mph for at least half the trip. There is now just over 2000 miles on my Commander. The 5.7L returned an average of 14.8mpg.

The 5.7L has an EPA rating of 18mpg highway. Had I kept the speed to 65mph (which would have been 10mph under the posted speed limit and would have resulted in me getting run over by an 18 wheeler) and had there not been the crosswinds I feel I could have achieved very close to that.

slenhe
12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Here is a new one....Without driving while sitting in my car listening to the radio the car decided to shutdown, kick all my presetings off the radio.Basically, a complete shutdown...THis is now an electrical issue tome....

So, this is some issue that will definetly cause the Jeep Commander to kill someone....I dont look forward to driving the jeep commander this winter in the snow...Can you imagine what might happen when the Jeep shuts down on a icy road....This will ensure a major crash....Jeep (Chrysler) where are you?????????? When will you fix this deadly issue?????

2JeepFamily
12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi all-
My monthly check in on this thread. Our Commander has not had a stalling problem since the dealership replace the PCM and reflashed the software 4K+ miles now. So, I urge those of you out there experiencing this problem (not related to bumping the key with your knee) to contact your dealerships and see my previous posts on this thread to get resolution on this issue. :)

Take Care,

skyking
12-17-2006, 11:14 PM
My 06 commander has the same issue at low speeds or when naviagting parking spots. It has even occured when driving over a speed bump rather quickly. I think this is a dangerous problem. Jeep needs to address this quickly.

skyking
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I do not have the problem at 50mph but at low speeds it does shut off sometimes. This is true in tight turning spots when parking. I think it has something to do with the all wheel drive and the Quadra Drive II. Also somedays the commander takes for every to engage into gear. It just sits there will you foot is on the gas.

rubicontrail.net
12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I do not have the problem at 50mph but at low speeds it does shut off sometimes. This is true in tight turning spots when parking. I think it has something to do with the all wheel drive and the Quadra Drive II.

I don't think this would cause the stalling unless something was binding up (and you would know it if it did!). It is more likely a faulty forward control module or auto shut down relay.

upstate1975
12-22-2006, 05:59 AM
DC just sent a service tech to the dealership that was attempting to resolve my stalling issue. The dealer could not find anything that was in error, but the tech rep is replacing the ignition and the ignition control module. Thank you DC. I will update as to the status. I must say though....my car first went in for service to remedy this problem last Monday, so the turn around has been quite timely. This is due to my reaching out to DC directly and was not a function of the dealership going above and beyond. I am quite pleased with DC's efforts.

JEEP
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Guess What?!!!! It freaking happened again. Well, my freaking Jeep just died again yesterday on a main road. I was coming to a stop light and my car just shut off. I am calling Monday morning to request arbitration papers for the lemon law. It's finally time! They obviously haven't fixed the problem. All of the computer updates they state will fix the stalling problem, have not worked! Wish me luck! After reading all of your replies, there is a serious problem with Chrysler! I'll keep you posted.

YB Normyl
01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
This is the first time I'm reading this thread and at first thought it was a 4.7 and 5.7 issue (both have electronic throttle body) but Jeep's is a 3.7 which makes it that much harder to pinpoint. I haven't had the stalling issue, it just bogs down sometimes going from a stop into a turn. The stalling is definitely a safety issue and with enough complaints to the NHTSA there would be a request for action, then recall.

Just wondering, does the whole vehicle power down, lose power to all electric components or is it just the engine that stalls?

There seems to be a communication problem, obviously the Jeep or powertrain engineers don't know the extent of the problem or something would be done. Possibly the Dealerships aren't channeling the info to the right source or the warranty dept isn't reporting the stalling issue as a high hitter. So it's important that the information gets higher up. Of course there's always a possibility of incompetent engineers :rolleyes:

rubicontrail.net
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Well doesn't the 3.7L in the Commander have the ETC too? I can't remember off the top of my head.

YB Normyl
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't think so because it uses the standard cruise servo with a cable. If it had the ETC, it wouldn't need it, but I'll check next time I go out.

rubicontrail.net
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think so because it uses the standard cruise servo with a cable. If it had the ETC, it wouldn't need it, but I'll check next time I go out.

I just http://www.wkjeeps.com/future_jeeps.htm#COMMANDER and they list ETC being added to the 3.7L for 2007 so it wouldn't have been on a 2006 3.7L Commander.

John
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I have been following this thread and this particular issue concerns me more then any other I have read of. My Overland hasnt arrived yet but I asked my dealer about it. According to him, they havent noticed such a problem, now I believe they havent sold that many 5.7L engines. For example, so far they have only delivered 2 Overlands. I dont know if he is telling the truth or not. john

rubicontrail.net
01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I have been following this thread and this particular issue concerns me more then any other I have read of. My Overland hasnt arrived yet but I asked my dealer about it. According to him, they havent noticed such a problem, now I believe they havent sold that many 5.7L engines. For example, so far they have only delivered 2 Overlands. I dont know if he is telling the truth or not. john

So far I have not had that issue on my 2007 5.7L.

chaman
01-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Me neither.

Mr Commander
01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I do not have the problem at 50mph but at low speeds it does shut off sometimes. This is true in tight turning spots when parking. I think it has something to do with the all wheel drive and the Quadra Drive II. Also somedays the commander takes for every to engage into gear. It just sits there will you foot is on the gas.
Hey skyking Sounds like you have bad transmission filter, if this fails it will create loading and unloading at low RPMs as well as the revving with out moving at times,

JEEP
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
This is the first time I'm reading this thread and at first thought it was a 4.7 and 5.7 issue (both have electronic throttle body) but Jeep's is a 3.7 which makes it that much harder to pinpoint. I haven't had the stalling issue, it just bogs down sometimes going from a stop into a turn. The stalling is definitely a safety issue and with enough complaints to the NHTSA there would be a request for action, then recall.

Just wondering, does the whole vehicle power down, lose power to all electric components or is it just the engine that stalls?

There seems to be a communication problem, obviously the Jeep or powertrain engineers don't know the extent of the problem or something would be done. Possibly the Dealerships aren't channeling the info to the right source or the warranty dept isn't reporting the stalling issue as a high hitter. So it's important that the information gets higher up. Of course there's always a possibility of incompetent engineers :rolleyes:

The entire car shuts down and all steering is lost and no braking system. They just lock up.

And I totally agree that this info. needs to get higher up. I sent a certified letter to the CEO of Chrysler as well as a defect notification notce under the lemon law a few weeks ago. I was contacted. They had their last chance to fix it. It didn't work. I'm continuing with the lemon law. I'll keep you all posted on the final outcome. You can read back throught this thread to see most of what I've done. I think that anyone else experiencing this problem should contact the higher ups too.
Everytime I bring my car in, no one seems to have heard of this problem with Jeeps. It's crazy. I almost think they are playing dumb. This is a serious situation. I 've almost been in SEVERAL accidents! This is because my car just shuts off while I'm driving down main roads. This is so dangerous! It is not only dangerous to me, but to others on the road. (O.k. just venting!)

rubicontrail.net
01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I sent a certified letter to the CEO of Chrysler as well as a defect notification notce under the lemon law a few weeks ago.

Any letter sent to an address you find on the Chrysler web site is going to a central call center. It is signed for by Joe Employee and tossed in a pile with many other letters which are eventually routed. One of the employees will call to "address your concern".

Ok, so you say you have been in several near accidents but yet you keep driving the vehicle? I know if I was in more than one of those incidents I wouldn't step behind the wheel of that vehicle again until someone could PROVE that they corrected it.

Also, have you had not one good experience with this vehicle? Your first and EVERY single post has been about this one problem.

Ranger6882
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
rubicontrail.net, He never said he was in a wreck, he stated almost! I myself has had this issue and I believe it has been corrected. I can understand Jeep's furstration. Do you work for DC? If not, you sure have alot of hot sports oppinions about this problem, when as you have stated repeatly on this thread that your commander has not stalled.

rubicontrail.net
01-10-2007, 07:50 AM
rubicontrail.net, He never said he was in a wreck, he stated almost! I myself has had this issue and I believe it has been corrected. I can understand Jeep's furstration. Do you work for DC? If not, you sure have alot of hot sports oppinions about this problem, when as you have stated repeatly on this thread that your commander has not stalled.

No, I do not work for DCX. I have no problem with people venting if there is a problem. What I couldn't understand is that is this person has been in several near accidents why they would risk their life by driving the vehicle. I mean, rats in the lab are smart enough to stop touching the metal bar after they have been shocked enough.

My big problem is when a person comes on a forum and has not one good thing to say about a vehicle. They rant and rave over 30 posts about the same issue but do not have one good thing to say. I know if I wasn't happy I would go trade in the vehicle. Sure you might lose out on a little money up front but isn't it worth it to avoid being so stressed out by your current vehicle?

Also, people haven't been consistent in posting the build date of their Commander that has been effected with the problem. If you want to solve the problem why don't we create a list of the vehicles with the build date, engine, and 4WD system. This will be more constructive in solving the problem so that we can ensure that we all enjoy our vehicles and arrive safely at our destinations.

OKCommander
01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Also, people haven't been consistent in posting the build date of their Commander that has been effected with the problem. If you want to solve the problem why don't we create a list of the vehicles with the build date, engine, and 4WD system. This will be more constructive in solving the problem so that we can ensure that we all enjoy our vehicles and arrive safely at our destinations.

Rubicon,

Not a bad idea. Maybe the forum administrators can come up with something in Excel that people can complete. If someone wants to sort the data they would be able to do it by build date, engine size, whatever people wanted to look at.

YB Normyl
01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net

Yes, and the more info the better. Build date, engine, speed occurred, turning or straight, engine stall or complete loss of electrical power. It would be nice to narrow down the conditions it happens in.

JEEP
The entire car shuts down and all steering is lost and no braking system. They just lock up.

Total electrical power loss is pretty severe. There can't be too many things that can cause that. I can't see reflashing the engine controller as a fix, maybe the Front Control Module. For any part of the powertrain to cause this it would have to think, send a message of a major problem and even then I doubt any signal except some short could cause the loss of all + power. So is the engine stalling or cutting out when the 12 volt power goes out? Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 things that might be able to do something like this, possibly the Front Control Module, defective ignition switch/sentry key module itself and Airbag Module after the deployment of the airbags. Other than that it would have to be a big short circuit.

JEEP
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Yes, and the more info the better. Build date, engine, speed occurred, turning or straight, engine stall or complete loss of electrical power. It would be nice to narrow down the conditions it happens in.

Total electrical power loss is pretty severe. There can't be too many things that can cause that. I can't see reflashing the engine controller as a fix, maybe the Front Control Module. For any part of the powertrain to cause this it would have to think, send a message of a major problem and even then I doubt any signal except some short could cause the loss of all + power. So is the engine stalling or cutting out when the 12 volt power goes out? Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 things that might be able to do something like this, possibly the Front Control Module, defective ignition switch/sentry key module itself and Airbag Module after the deployment of the airbags. Other than that it would have to be a big short circuit.

Actually, the first time they tried to fix my car, they replaced the entire Front Control Module. It didn't work. Thanks for your suggestions! I know it's a very severe situation.

JEEP
01-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Any letter sent to an address you find on the Chrysler web site is going to a central call center. It is signed for by Joe Employee and tossed in a pile with many other letters which are eventually routed. One of the employees will call to "address your concern".

Ok, so you say you have been in several near accidents but yet you keep driving the vehicle? I know if I was in more than one of those incidents I wouldn't step behind the wheel of that vehicle again until someone could PROVE that they corrected it.

Also, have you had not one good experience with this vehicle? Your first and EVERY single post has been about this one problem.

So obviously you haven't been in this situation. Why do you have such a bad attitude????
Well, for your info. Chrysler has been handling things in an efficient way. All cars can have problems. I started this thread to see if anyone else had the same situaiton. Why should you care if I had any good or bad experiences? And in case you haven't realized, this thread is listed under PROBLEMS people have experienced. Usually people don't talk about good things under the topic of PROBLEMS.
And, I have to work to make a living. How am I supposed to get there without a car. I am in the process each day of trying my best to get rid of this car. Things don't happen overnight, but they should be coming around any day. When that point comes, I'll be sure to post it!

JEEP
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM

DITTO! Thanks!

skyking
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Yep I have the 4.7 with the same problem. Was told it was low transmission fluid.

skyking
01-10-2007, 10:40 PM
rubicontrail.net, He never said he was in a wreck, he stated almost! I myself has had this issue and I believe it has been corrected. I can understand Jeep's furstration. Do you work for DC? If not, you sure have alot of hot sports oppinions about this problem, when as you have stated repeatly on this thread that your commander has not stalled.Rubicontrail.net,

I have the same problem with stalling. Yes, it has happened in a busy intersection. I took it right back to the dealer they put a quart of transmission fluid in and stated that should solve the problem. Of course it still occurs. Most people dont have the ability to just park their only car and hope that jeep finds a solution. We dont have time to spend sitting at a dealer or waiting for rides from dealer to work. I depend on my jeep to get me from point A to B. Now I just make sure there is no oncoming traffic when I turn out into a intersection.

Ranger6882
01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Skyking, get your dealer to install flight recorder. It was installed on mine they reflashed on board computer and we have not had any problems for a about 7K miles. Our XK will be 1 year old next month with 24K. I feel your frustration. Alll these Knuckleheads that have not expericened the stalls need to shut the Hell up! When I was going through same sittuation it really pissed me off when others thought I and others hit ignition key with Knee. Due to the fact the problem was not occuring to them. Hang in there, like I said, I believe my XK stalling issuse has been resolved and I enjoy climbing in it everyday:D

skyking
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Ranger6882
Thanks for the advice, I will take it to the dealer and request the flight recorder. Also, the idea of hitting the ignition with my knee is crazy. I am 5'9 and drive with my seat in the far back position. I thought this might be a possibility until I looked at how far my knee would have to travel to hit the ignition. You would have to be very tall and drive in the forward position to do this or have a large key ring dangling. Thanks for the advice Ranger6882.
At this point just frustrated with dealer and serivce people. I need my jeep daily and depend on it.

JEEP
01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Skyking, get your dealer to install flight recorder. It was installed on mine they reflashed on board computer and we have not had any problems for a about 7K miles. Our XK will be 1 year old next month with 24K. I feel your frustration. Alll these Knuckleheads that have not expericened the stalls need to shut the Hell up! When I was going through same sittuation it really pissed me off when others thought I and others hit ignition key with Knee. Due to the fact the problem was not occuring to them. Hang in there, like I said, I believe my XK stalling issuse has been resolved and I enjoy climbing in it everyday:D

Thank you! I agree! You know, I also asked for a recorder device in my car months ago and they would not give it to me. Then after continuous problems, the dealership finally put it in my car and drove it around and caught "data".
As I said, in the "lemon process" now.

JEEP
01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I have the same problem with stalling. Yes, it has happened in a busy intersection. I took it right back to the dealer they put a quart of transmission fluid in and stated that should solve the problem. Of course it still occurs. Most people dont have the ability to just park their only car and hope that jeep finds a solution. We dont have time to spend sitting at a dealer or waiting for rides from dealer to work. I depend on my jeep to get me from point A to B. Now I just make sure there is no oncoming traffic when I turn out into a intersection.

I agree! It is so unfortunate!

txkaram
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Wow, that is very interesting to know. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad that when it happened to you, you weren't going fast. It is interesting that they replaced different things in each of our cars. Keep me posted on if your car is fixed or not. It is so freaky!!!! I appreciate you telling your story!
:( I picked up my 2006 Commander from the service dept. today after the 2nd time having it in for service for the shutting off/locking up problem while driving. My service dept. found nothing and wants me to be their guinea pig -- they installed a sensor on the car since the computer isn't showing any codes. But how could it -- it completely shuts down. Our Commander has shut off while driving at least 9 times and it is the scariest thing in the world, especially when my children are with me. We've filed a complaint under the TX Lemon Law and talked to a lawyer. The lawyer is the one who told me about the other complaints on the same issue. The Service Dept. said they searched computer databases and NO ONE had this problem other than me. Chrysler rep. said the same thing. It's very suspicious that they hadn't heard about any of the problems on this Forum and I think they're bordering on deceptive trade practices. Anyone who doesn't think this is a serious issue needs to drive my new Commander for a while and see how it feels to be driving along humming to your favorite song and all of a sudden your car shuts down completely with traffic coming at you from all sides, with no ability to control the car properly. It's a sickening feeling and I agree with the other person on this Forum who called it a "death trap". It is that.

ruffing
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Hello Jeep Commander Owner,

NHTSA recently opened a vehicle defects investigation for the MY2006-07 Jeep Commander (all models and engines)

for complaints related to engine stalling and vehicle electrical system shut-down which can cause engine stall and/or

the loss of other vehicle systems such as lighting (a copy of the investigation opening document is attached).

Thank you for filing a complaint with NHTSA regarding the problems you have had with your Jeep. These owner complaints

are critically important to us in identifying potential vehicle defects to investigate. We have sent a request for information

to DaimlerChrysler (DCC) and will receive this information in late March. I will forward a copy of the DCC response to you

shortly after I receive it.

In the mean time I would like to ask you to provide some or all of the following information to me:

1) Any invoices you may have for service work related to the stalling/electrical problems.

2) A written or recorded (audio or video) account of the stalling/Electrical shut down event(s)

(I realize this is asking a lot but if you are able to do this it could be very helpful)

3) Please fill out the attached survey (txt format is fine). We are specifically interested in the details of

your stalling/shut down event. If you have experienced multiple events a description of the most

unnerving event would be preferred. If you prefer to call me and give a recorded statement that would also

be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, I will update you with information as it becomes available.

You can fax information to me at the Office of Defects investigations <private info removed by admin>

NHTSA

400 7th Street SW

Washington, DC 20590

Room 5319, NVS213Cla

FedEx Account# <private info removed by admin>

Chris Lash

Safety Defects Investigator

DOT/NHTSA

Office of Defects Investigations

<private info removed by admin>

(chris.lash@nhtsa.dot.gov)

lblount222
03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
As of today, March 12, 2007, I have had eight shut offs. None were caused by my hitting the key or anything else. Three just sitting in the driveway of my home, once driving over a speed bump, once while turning left, once while on the interstate, and twice while on major streets in Atlanta. My eighth once happened this morning.

I am a mother with two small children and this can prove to be fatal to us. I have even had a couple of issues while in reverse and the car went forward. I have only had this vehicle which was a demo for four months.

I am dreading the purchase of THIS particular vehicle and I thought that maybe the issue would have been because this was a used vehicle. I am now convinced that this is a flaw with this model.

So when is the recall?

skyking
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
For all that are having problems with the engine shutting off please go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. This is the only way to pressure jeep for a recall. I have been contacted by NHTSA and they are in the process of working with JEEP. Yes, my jeep has stalled several times, even over a speed bump..

Bulldog9
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I really hope they can resolve this. I think certainly SOME but NOT all of teh cases were due to knee induced shut off, but certainly not all. I really hope DCX will fix this issue for you folks.

hrc
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I have had my Commander Limited 4.7 V8 in the shop 2 times now because the engine has shut off on a number of occasions. They just called to let me know that they replaced the CAMShaft Sensor and the Crank Shaft Sensor but don't know if that is the problem. They previously replaced the Idle Control Module which obviously didn't help. I have filed a complaint with Chrysler as well as the NHTSA who responded almost immediatley with forms for me to complete. I am a nervous wreck to drive this car. Are there any other places to file complaints or any other actions I can take?

Ranger6882
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
HRC,
Attonery General you can also talk to. My Commander has not given use any more problems after dealership reflashed computer and that was about 9K ago:)

hrc
03-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Ranger6882 what does it mean to reflash the computer? Is that somethign I should mention to the dealership? They currently have the car.

On a side note - has anyone had instances of their stereo flickering on and off? It goes completly blank for a second and then comes back on. They replaced the stereo once but it continues to happen.

Ranger6882
03-13-2007, 04:04 PM
go back a few pages on this thread and it will explain.

JeepBear
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Future new Commander guy here...
I really want a new Commander. Love them. This issue of stalling is the one thing holding me back from my purchase. How widespread is the problem? Can someone tell me if it applies to first run vehicles or to 2007 models as well...

...and do you think the 2008 4.7L motor will make any difference?

Thanks

rubicontrail.net
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Future new Commander guy here...
I really want a new Commander. Love them. This issue of stalling is the one thing holding me back from my purchase. How widespread is the problem? Can someone tell me if it applies to first run vehicles or to 2007 models as well...

...and do you think the 2008 4.7L motor will make any difference?

Thanks

So far, my 2007 has not had this issue.

topcop38
03-15-2007, 01:51 PM
no problems with my '06 3.7L. in fact no issues with anything at all.

John
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I only have a little over 300 miles on my 2007 Commander Overland with the HEMI engine and I havent had a single problem other then the incredible hardship of trying to learn everything in the 426 page owners manual, 70 page Navigation Radio owners manual and 60 page warranty book. Geez, feel like I am back in school cramming for an exam. john

Behappy
03-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a 2006 4.7 Commander that I bought new March of 06. Just in the last 3 weeks it has stalled on me on three different occasions. On the second trip it stalled more than once. All of these happened when I was driving very slow in traffic or pulling up to a stop sign. Have not had it happen at a high rate of speed yet.... I do know for a fact that I have never bumped the key any of these times. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

giancarlo
03-15-2007, 08:33 PM
I just had mine shut off about a week ago. When to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. Of course they also told me they took it out for a drive and had it pugged in for a significant "ride" and couldn't find anything. I find it hard to believe considering it had the same amout of mileage when I dropped it off and picked it up.

JeepBear
03-16-2007, 09:00 AM
hmmm, glancing thru the posts, looks like the 6cyl has not been affected. I wonder if it has to do with the 06 6cyl trucks not having elec throttle control... Didnt they add that in 07 to this motor?

topcop38
03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
i have seen a few posts by 3.7 owners that have had this problem so i don't think its limited to the V8s.

giancarlo
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I have an 06 3.7 and it did happen to me

XJaiger
03-16-2007, 10:15 PM
no problems with my '06 3.7L. in fact no issues with anything at all.

x2. (except the loud whine - seem to be norm)
Still going strong @ 9K+ miles.

:fingerscrossed: ;)
3.7 btw

blacksun
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Well this is my first post here..I have a 2006 3.7 4x4 just got it in Dec of 06. Last month it died at a light but never lost power(electrical...)radio never went off ,gauges still on. Started reading this thread thougt I may have bumped the key(im 6'4" so I gave it the benefit of doubt..no keychain just my key so it wasnt a weight on the key problem)I was at a light and bingo went to take off and looked down and car was off) well this Sunday I was at a light and same thing:confused: I had it to the dealer last week for its first oil change and told them about it they did a road check because I noticed the rpms are erratic at idle 750 to 500 then a rough idle. Guess what they couldnt duplicate it. So this is a problem that happens to multiple people over various engine modles. My build date is Oct 2005. I think I going to file a complaint w the nhtsb. A RECALL NEEDS TO BE DONE. I dont think the dealers replacing a part here and there to get me out of thier hair is the answer.....I WANT THIS UN#$%#ED, and like yesterday. Anybody have any updates.

JeepBear
03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
well i see Honda and Toyota has recalled a boat load of vehicles for possible stalling.. Maybe there is hope for us yet!!!

dflip99
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Have same problem with my 4.7 2005 Commander and has since lodged a formal complaint with the NHTSA. Lots of complaints also about this condition in Jeepforum.com.

I think I saw someone posting it there or in this forum, but for those of us who lodged formal complaints early on, a DOT safety engineer has since contacted us and solicited details of our stalling incidents.

Would recommend for those who has not lodged one yet in NHTSA to do so. The more numbers they have the more more valid is the stats and can help force the hand of CD Corp.

TPS
03-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I've got the 4.7L with about 25K miles. Up until today, it had stalled only once while in a parking lot when I put it into reverse (maybe around 5K miles). This morning it stalled as I was pulling out of my driveway. I didn't even realize it until I tried to turn the wheel and saw that the power steering was gone. So, while this is disturbing, my experience has been that it happens at low speeds (or while stopped).

dflip99
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Help us TPS!

Go to the NHTSA and post an incident report.

Your problem duplicates mine...low engine speed and while turning. Can be scary if you are making a turn on a traffic light.

Thanks
D

dflip99
03-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Here is what I got from the DOT today (bold & italiczied):

Thanks, we will be receiving data on this issue from DaimlerChrysler in about 2 weeks. At that time Iíll send a copy of their

official response. If any other electrical or stalling related incidents occur please call me or file a VOQ.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems

Chris Lash
DOT/NHTSA
400 7th S.t. SW
Washington, DC 20590
Room 5319, NVS-213CLa
Toll Free (800) 986-9678 x62370
Phone - 202-366-2370 (direct)
Fax - 202-366-1767

chris.lash@nhtsa.dot.gov

NWCommander
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
It happened to me twice when I was carrying a passenger in the 2nd row behind the driver's seat. Fortunately I could easily recover by shifting to neutral and restarting while the vehicle was still in motion. The car is quiet so I don't hear when the engine stalls.
The reason is clearly the stupidly located ignition key. DCX should be fined just for that. When I do not carry a passenger behind me, my seat is all the way back (I am on the tall side). In this position my knee is far away from the key. When someone is sitting behind me, I move the seat forward to give the legs of the passenger some room, and then my knee is at the same level as the lower edge of the key, and a simple sidewards motion of the knee will turn off the car.

OBXCommander
04-29-2007, 06:49 PM
This happened to my wife today twice at speeds under 35mph. I sent Chris Nash an e-mail regarding this as well.

Ranger6882
04-29-2007, 07:59 PM
This happened to my wife today twice at speeds under 35mph. I sent Chris Nash an e-mail regarding this as well.

Would that be Steve Nash's brother?:confused:

OBXCommander
04-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Would that be Steve Nash's brother?:confused:

LOL I meant Lash

commander47
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I dont know if this is related but Jeep has updated the ignition switch for the Jeep Commander to fix the problem of dash lights going on and off and car shutting off while driving. Mine is scheduled for replacement.

XKTX
06-13-2007, 03:18 PM
My wife drives a 03' Grand Cherokee 2wd Limited with the 4.7L V8 and last year started to stall all the time. The dealership exchanged the computer and the software and ever since then we have not experienced any stalling.

YB Normyl
06-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Don't know if this has been posted but here's the same problem with the Wrangler

From Mikes totally free Jeep news
http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/news/

U.S. safety regulators opened a preliminary investigation into the Chrysler Group's 2007 Jeep Wrangler after receiving complaints of engine stall at highway speed.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that it has received 53 complaints and that a majority of those drivers said they experienced stalling on more than one occasion. In 12 cases, drivers complained of losing electrical power and lighting at the same time as the vehicles stalled.

No accidents or fatalities were reported, a report summary on the agency's Web site said.

The article goes on to say that Chrysler is opening its own investigation as well, but at this moment, there's no real reason for concern.

RedCommander
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Do people hit their key with their knee in a Wrangler too?

YB Normyl
06-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't know but either way it shouldn't happen. Interesting how the Wrangler problem is already being investigated.

AKFossil
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't know but either way it shouldn't happen. Interesting how the Wrangler problem is already being investigated.

Guess somebody with clout bought a Wrangler.:confused:

rubicontrail.net
06-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Do people hit their key with their knee in a Wrangler too?

No, the new Wrangler has the key on the steering wheel and requires you to push in and then turn it.

I am guessing it is some electronic gremlin that is haunting the Jeeps' electronic throttle control.

hazeljh1
07-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I have had my Commander since April 2006. No major problems until earlier this year. It started with the inside lights flickering which the dealership told me was a wiring short and it would have to happen alot for them to be able to fix it. Then I had a loss of power going about 25 mph. Was able to start it back up. My Jeep started acting sluggish, i kept smelling a burnt sort of smell, and then it stalled a second time at about 45 mph. I took it in for detailing recently and went over the symptoms with the service department. They ordered the Front Control Module and told me to bring it back when the part arrived. It took about 3 weeks for the part to arrive. All kinds of sensor lights lit up on the dashboard in the meantime. The rear passenger window quit working. Finally I was able to take it in for the replacement. They replaced the Front Control Module. It did not fix the problem. Then they replaced the steering module. Still no fix. They started testing everything on my Jeep. They finally found some of the problem. The catalytic converter had been coming apart which caused excessive heat to the muffler. With the muffler getting hot it melted the wiring harness. The wiring harness happens to be inside the car underneath the second row passenger seat. This is the same seat my son's carseat sits on. They have replaced the wiring harness (and my carpet). Still getting active error codes. My Jeep has been at the dealership now for three weeks and still not fixed. It has over 40,000 miles and is out of warranty. Last I was told they were going to reorder the front control module and feed the main "brain" a contaminate to try and solve the problem. With this I was told they would have to send my odometer to Detroit to have a new one reprogrammed with my mileage for reinstallation. I honestly don't know if this will solve the problem. I love my Jeep (it's not the Hemi) but I am concerned for my safety and my familys safety.

YB Normyl
07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
WOW! First, Welcome The Site, I hope you're not paying for any of this. Sounds like you have multiple problems, but the catalytic converter problem would be a definite recall if it's happening to others as well. Please keep us posted.

hazeljh1
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I was told the dealership was going to do a goodwill warranty since I reported the problems while the car was still under warranty. My cost is $100.00. It seems like my Jeep is having some of the same problems as others. I have not seen any other catalytic converter issues being mentioned. I will definitely keep everyone posted on my Jeep's issues.

db_ohio
07-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Welcome Hazeljh1. Input such as yours is good for all of us. It helps tie some things together and make things happen at the dealerships and Jeep (hopefully). Welcome to the forum and I hope all goes well for you. The converter is quite a find

setsail98
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, add me to the roles of "The Turns Off Club"....... after 8K, my ride stated that infamous engine dying. Only happens under 10mph so far but at ANY speed and for ANY other reason besides ME turning it off it is extremely dangerous. I really fear someone will be hurt because of this. I went to the NTSHA site and entered a complaint. :eek:

Andretti
07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Owned our '06 Hemi Ltd. since Jan.2006

About 3 months ago problem started with the loss of gauges/dash lights & HVAC after initial start up. If driven like this the transfer case would make a horrible gear mesh noise. Turning off & restarting corrected it. Told my wife to make sure dash lights worked after start up. I'll get it to the dealer one day soon...

The problem grew worst over the following months. While driving at cruise it finally happened to her and I was TOLD.

Took it in and mentioned the "ignition switch" issue to them. One day later and they tell me 1 week to 10 days for the switch! We ended up taking it to a 2nd dealer who replaced the switch.

It's now been 3 weeks and all is good again, I'm not in the dog house anymore.

Would like to tell everyone here that this has been a very good truck for us. No regrets, we love our Jeep. :) This was our first time we've had to visit the dealer.

Carlos

PolarBZ
08-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok, so this finally happened to me - or rather, I happened to it. We were heading across country to Georgia over the past few days and once I was trying to hit the wipers and nudged the key with my hand and lost power. Funny thing was that nothing really happened. I noticed that the dash went dead and had no throttle control - so I clicked the key back to "On" (from ACC) and everything fired back up just like new. At the time we were cruising at a health 65 towing a car dolly. I'm happy I didnt have to restart the Jeep when I turned it off.

ronfin44
08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm having this same problem. Just bought a Commander last month. 2000 miles on it. It was almost on E one night, so I stopped to fill it. Soon after I filled it the engine light came on and it started to hesitate, bad, like it was starving for gas. My immediate reaction was that I got a bad batch of gas, maybe some water in it, so I did what you normally do. See if the problem corrects itself. No luck after two days, so I went and filled it back up with a slightly higher octane, added some dry gas to remove any water present, and thought this might correct the hesitation. Well, the vehicle drove fine for 3+ days, no hesitation, til I was on the highway tonight and it cutoff at 60mph! Felt a slight thump, and I pushed on the gas but nothing happened! This only lasted a few seconds and it was back on, but then it happened 10 mins later. Same thing. What the hell? New vehicles shouldn't stall while driving! No vehicle should stall while it's driving! Gonna take it in Saturday and see if the mechanics have a clue. I'm not opptomistic. :cool:

penguin
10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Just received this:

Dear Jeep Commander Owner,

Hello, my name is Chris Lash I am an automotive defects investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for filing a vehicle owner complaint. As you may know we have been investigating incidents of stall while driving with the MY 2006-07 Jeep Commander, EA07-007 (opening resume attached). Much like a previous investigation of the MY2004-05 Dodge Durango and RAM pickups (investigation closing report attached) potential diagnoses and repair of the Commander stalling problem is proving difficult for some owners.

Specifically, many owners have complained of making multiple visits to a dealer where the vehicle diagnosis has been inconclusive, usually resulting in the vehicle being returned to the owner with no repair attempt being made.

The purpose of this letter is:

1)To make contact with you (depending on when you filed a complaint with NHTSA this could be your second contact), the owner of one of these vehicles to gather data related to your specific stalling problem and repair attempts.

2)To inform you of what Chrysler LLC and NHTSA are doing to try and resolve this problem.

If this is the first time I have contacted you please spend some time and fill out the attached questionnaire in as much detail as you care to. If you have previously sent me this information any updates of new stalling occurrences or repair attempts would be appreciated.

Chrysler has had a multi-disciplinary team working on this problem since the end of March 2007. Since that time, they have driven a fleet of Jeep Commanders, repurchased from consumers for stalling, more than 60K road miles. We expect to receive updated warranty and complaint data and details of the drive testing sometime in December. I will pass available information along to you via email when possible.

In the meantime, I would ask you to please document your stalling problem as thoroughly as possible by: making/acquiring copies of any repair orders, keeping a written log of dates, times, conditions of stalling events, providing the agency with a statement either written, oral audio, or video. Any information you have can be sent directly to me in Washington .

As an example, a recent investigation concerning the premature failure of a suspension component on a compact SUV was greatly aided by a single consumer who took the time to periodically photograph the degradation of the component over a period of months. These images were very useful in persuading the manufacturer to take action in this case.

Chris Lash, Safety Defects Investigator

DOT/NHTSA, Office of Defects Investigations

1200 New Jersey Ave SE

Washington, DC 20590

Room W48-215,NVS-213CLa

Toll Free 1-877-536-8368 (1-877-5 DOT DOT)

Direct Phone - 202-366-2370

ODI office Fax - 202-366-1767

E-mail - chris.lash@dot.gov

Ranger6882
10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
thanks for the info PENGUIN.:)

SDBaja
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
That is really good news! The end of December is only 75 days away but I suspect they will wrap it up before the holidays.

This is one thread I'd like to see closed.

csamos2
10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
We have had the problem 5 times. After the frist time we took it in and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is running very poorly at high rpms like it's missing. We are taking it into the dealer tomorrow.
Jeep Commander '06 /4.7

Wow. I am now dealing with the stalling issue after realizing that all the engine cut-offs over the past year and a half were not due to my knee hitting the key.

Now I see your post and realize I have the same issue with poor running from a dead start, like its missing as well.

csamos2
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello Jeep Commander Owner,

NHTSA recently opened a vehicle defects investigation for the MY2006-07 Jeep Commander (all models and engines)

for complaints related to engine stalling and vehicle electrical system shut-down which can cause engine stall and/or

the loss of other vehicle systems such as lighting (a copy of the investigation opening document is attached).

Thank you for filing a complaint with NHTSA regarding the problems you have had with your Jeep. These owner complaints

are critically important to us in identifying potential vehicle defects to investigate. We have sent a request for information

to DaimlerChrysler (DCC) and will receive this information in late March. I will forward a copy of the DCC response to you

shortly after I receive it.

In the mean time I would like to ask you to provide some or all of the following information to me:

1) Any invoices you may have for service work related to the stalling/electrical problems.

2) A written or recorded (audio or video) account of the stalling/Electrical shut down event(s)

(I realize this is asking a lot but if you are able to do this it could be very helpful)

3) Please fill out the attached survey (txt format is fine). We are specifically interested in the details of

your stalling/shut down event. If you have experienced multiple events a description of the most

unnerving event would be preferred. If you prefer to call me and give a recorded statement that would also

be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, I will update you with information as it becomes available.

You can fax information to me at the Office of Defects investigations <private info removed by admin>

NHTSA

400 7th Street SW

Washington, DC 20590

Room 5319, NVS213Cla

FedEx Account# <private info removed by admin>

Chris Lash

DOT/NHTSA

<private info removed by admin>

(chris.lash@nhtsa.dot.gov)

I received almost the same letter from the same guy this week. Only this time, he attached a notebook survey with specific questions about my stalling experience. We'll see how this goes, but i am already getting my ducks in a row to pursue a lemon law claim. I love vehcile, but am highly concerned over the safety issues posed by this random, intermittent engine stalling.

csamos2
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
For all that are having problems with the engine shutting off please go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. This is the only way to pressure jeep for a recall. I have been contacted by NHTSA and they are in the process of working with JEEP. Yes, my jeep has stalled several times, even over a speed bump..

I dont believe Jeep can/will issue a recall unless they have isolated the problem and identified a confirmed remedy.

ped4599
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I have had this happen twice the same week i got it...the third time I figured it out.....but i have not had it happen since....i figured out that bumped the key with my knee....i think this is often the case, but don't know they do it....i am careful not to let my knee hit the key and have not had an issue for over 6 months now.

george818
11-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Was reading your post today because I was interested in this stalling issue. (Though it *seems* like I am lucky because my 2006 Commander 4x4 Hemi has never stalled on me, though I have had my share of other problems)

Anyway, to the point, I was poking around the NHTSA site and I found a document posted by NHTSA on November 7, 2007. By reading it, it seems that they are getting impatient about a resolution to this stalling issue and have requested that Chrysler provide all of the internal documentation on this so they can reach a conclusion. The document is too large to attach and I can't link yet, but it is there if you look for it.

The document name is: INIM-EA07007-27050p.pdf

You can get it by:
1) goggling: nhtsa odi defects
2) click on: Search our investigations database
3) select "vehicle" and click "search selected type"
4) select "2006": "Jeep": "Commander"
5) select "retrieve investigations"
6) Scroll to EA07007
7) select "Document Search"
8) click the document name shown above

a49erFan
11-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Here is the link refered to above:

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2007/EA/INIM-EA07007-27050p.pdf

penguin
12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I had a 20 minute talk with Chris Lash of the NHSTA today. He called me after I submitted the survey he sent me. Very nice guy and very informed about this issue. I asked him for permission to post this and he said yes. Basically, the biggest issues are with the 2006MY Commander with the 4.7. There are some issues with the 3.7 as well, but more so documented with the 4.7. They are still investigating but are really narrowing it down to the PCM in the 4.7. I won't quote everything I said because I don't want to inadvertently put words in his mouth, but things are progressing. He also said he checks this board for info, so that is a good thing to know.

penguin
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I received almost the same letter from the same guy this week. Only this time, he attached a notebook survey with specific questions about my stalling experience. We'll see how this goes, but i am already getting my ducks in a row to pursue a lemon law claim. I love vehcile, but am highly concerned over the safety issues posed by this random, intermittent engine stalling.

That survey was attached to my e-mail as well. Of note, he is certain it has nothing to do with a knee accidentally hitting the key switch. Now, if it has something to do with the key switch, that is different.

Ranger6882
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope they figure it out soon before someone gets hurt. My 4.7 has not died since the dealership installed flight recorder to record stall. Then they reflashed computer all is well:D

penguin
12-10-2007, 09:30 PM
There have already been some accident's with injuries reported.

YB Normyl
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I had a 20 minute talk with Chris Lash of the NHSTA today. He called me after I submitted the survey he sent me. Very nice guy and very informed about this issue. I asked him for permission to post this and he said yes. Basically, the biggest issues are with the 2006MY Commander with the 4.7. There are some issues with the 3.7 as well, but more so documented with the 4.7. They are still investigating but are really narrowing it down to the PCM in the 4.7. I won't quote everything I said because I don't want to inadvertently put words in his mouth, but things are progressing. He also said he checks this board for info, so that is a good thing to know.

Good news, way to go Penguin! :)

penguin
12-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Not a problem. We were talking and I mentioned that I was an insurance adjuster/accident investigator and he said that the guy who got the ball rolling in Canadadadia was an accident investigator, too. He also mentioned that Dodge bought back a number of XK's to do long term testing on. A few have well over 100k in miles. I believe he is waiting on the numbers from Dodge on those. We talked about the issues he is getting with the new Nitro and there has been a huge influx of problems in all types of cars since 2004. Apparently all the big automakers were trying out new ways to send information in cars. CAN-BUS, iDrive (grrr), etc but they all seemed to not work as well as hoped. They tried to duplicate stuff from car A but car B didn't like it...lol. He mentioned there was a big issue not too long ago with the last gen Durango. Again, he stated that he didn't have an issue if I post this and all of this information is public record (just want to make sure those wonderful atty's from Chrysler don't read this and think he is giving out bad info).

P.S. Chris, if you're reading and this is wrong feel free to correct me. Oh, and tell Dodge I want a free XK for test driving...lol

RedRocker
12-12-2007, 02:44 AM
If your states Lemon Law doesnt apply to your situation, weather its due to excessive time, or excessive miles, shouldn't there be some liability on Chryslers behalf for not being able to repair a vehicle thats still under the manufacturers warranty? Any law savvy people care to chime in on this??

penguin
12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
If your states Lemon Law doesnt apply to your situation, weather its due to excessive time, or excessive miles, shouldn't there be some liability on Chryslers behalf for not being able to repair a vehicle thats still under the manufacturers warranty? Any law savvy people care to chime in on this??

I'm a law savvy person (licensed adjuster and certified paralegal). Your state's 'lemon law' (or like in Louisiana, redhibition) must meet certain elements before you can use it as a civil action; namely, there must be a 'loss'. If they are unable to duplicate a problem, you would have a hard time proving that there is a defective condition. If they are doing their due diligence by taking the car in, inspecting it and it shows no defect, then how can they replace it (playing devil's advocate)? Insofar as Chrysler having the onus to repair a vehicle under a sale that implies a warranty of merchantability (the product is good enough to sell for it's intended use) they can only repair what they find. For example, let's say you worked at a jewelry store and someone bought a $10,000.00 diamond necklace the month before and they brought it in complaining that the $5000 platinum clasp does not work. Yet, when you try it - it works everytime. Would you then replace a clasp that would cost you $3000 in return but it doesn't seem defective to you? Nope. Now, on the flip side, what if you had 100 people tell you the same thing. You'd look at the problem closer and maybe take them in - but only after you have exhausted all your research into it. Because if you took just 1 out of 100 in exchange before you were done, you just set a precedent for all the others to return theirs, even if there is no finding of fact.

RedRocker
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks penquin, appreciate your input. I can only guess that Chrysler is equally as frustraited as I am over this stalling issue. Right now I would not hesitate to unload this vehicle if the opportunity presented itself.

ldc2335
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
took mine to the dealer today after it stalled 4 times this week, the replaced the ignition switch which makes sense, but we'll see if its the cure..the said they have had several cases come in and this was the fix for all of them....feels much firmer when turning the key now...mabye a loose connection was the cause..

pnstps
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Had mine over a year and mine's never shut off on me...and i have the HEMI.......good luck OP.

emperor
01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
My 06 hemi has stalled since I got it. Never stalled at service at dealership - so they say. Dealer installed "black box" to record stalls twice - recorded EIGHT stalls, and said they couldn't find a problem. Then at 28,000 miles all dashboard indicator lights started coming on while driving and engine cut out. Dealer said a pin in the ignition switch was factory installed upside down (this is not a joke). Put pin in right side up, dealer said. More lights flashing, more stalls, more visitis to the dealer.

Then they replaced ignition completely. So now my heat doesn't ever shut off, my windshield wipers work only sometimes (I know they are intermitent, but going up about 2 inches and then stopping doesn't qualify for "intermitent.")

This commander is a piece of crap. More problems that I care to list, none of them fixed by dealer. Too many 2 and 3 day stints without car, and they give it back to me still broken.

I'm dumping the oversized trash can known as a Commander and buying a Lexus.

Lotsa luck to you 06 Commander owners. You'll need it.

SDBaja
01-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. I understand what you are doing and would do the same if mine did that (other than the lexus).

We were supposed to hear of a resolution from Jeep and NHTSA in December. That sure as heck came and went.

a49erFan
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM

I own an 06 and have never had any of the listed problems, Sounds like a bad car was sent out, it was too bad the dealer didn't take it back and get you a new one without the issues. Sounds like lemon law would have applied to this particular vehicle.

RedCommander
01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm dumping the oversized trash can known as a Commander and buying a Lexus.

Sounds like a personal problem, or maybe Karma getting back at you. My 06 has been just fine, as have nearly everyone elses.

RedRocker
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a personal problem, or maybe Karma getting back at you. My 06 has been just fine, as have nearly everyone elses.
Maybe you and everyone else who's not having any problems with your commanders should hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah, but for those of us having stalling problems that Chrysler cant fix pretty much sux.

penguin
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM

'As have nearly everyone elses' is not correct. There are a number of complaints with the NHSTA that have brought it to this stage. Remember, not everyone who owns an XK is on this site.

In response to the lemon law issue; for the parts of the vehicle that can be diagnosed then your state's respective 'lemon law' or redhibition laws may apply. However, for people like me whom the dealership cannot duplicate the problem, it does not apply. I happened again to me while I was in a Burger King drive-thru. None of my issues deal with personal problems or karma, and it is without merit to suggest same. People have opinions, just like yours.

RedCommander
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
'As have nearly everyone elses' is not correct. There are a number of complaints with the NHSTA that have brought it to this stage. Remember, not everyone who owns an XK is on this site.

[Origianlly posted by ConsumerAffairs]
Federal safety regulators have received 26 vehicle owner complaints “alleging incidents of engine stall while driving in a model year 2006 through 2007 Jeep Commander,” according to NHTSA documents.

Do you have newer figures? 26 complaints from 136,444 vehicles definitely qualifies as nearly everyone else not having the issue. I hope the 26, or even double that, 50 people who do have the problem get it fixed, but that doesn't make the Commander as a whole a "giant trash can", perhaps just those specific vehicles. Maybe not even all of those because we KNOW that many of the issues were because the key was turned off.

Anyway, sorry to interject, I hope these guys problems get fixed. I was just annoyed by emporers little rant. I apologize.

penguin
01-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Do you have newer figures?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=EA07007&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

76 for the XK, but under the new PCM/TCI there are hundres of others in different vehicles. And the 76 number was from mid-last year. I've talked with Mr. Lash at NHTSA several times and there are a number more complaints.

26 complaints from 136,444 vehicles definitely qualifies as nearly everyone else not having the issue. I hope the 26, or even double that, 50 people who do have the problem get it fixed, but that doesn't make the Commander as a whole a "giant trash can", perhaps just those specific vehicles.

I agree that it doesn't make it a giant trash can; however, the issue is far beyond just a few individual vehicles. It is a certain build time that is really affected.

Maybe not even all of those because we KNOW that many of the issues were because the key was turned off.

NHTSA has already ruled that out. I'm glad that YOU know that, but that is incorrect information. There were several people that were doing that, but NHTSA has stated emphatically that that is not the issue.

Anyway, sorry to interject, I hope these guys problems get fixed. I was just annoyed by emporers little rant. I apologize.

I was annoyed by it, too. But then again, I was annoyed by yours.

RedRocker
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
penguin - Any word lately from Mr. Lash - thought DC had till Jan 4 to respond with its findings?

penguin
01-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Not yet. I'll give him a call. But even if he did receive the docs, it will probably take him a while to go through it and then report on it.

ahambrick
01-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm new to this forum and currently own an 04 Jeep TJ which I like very much. Am planning on buying an 08 Commander, but am very hesitant after reading this thread. To anyones knowledge, are there any known issues with the 07/08 model years?

RedCommander
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
There have been approximately 75 complaints reported of the 150k plus vehicles produced. It should not be a cause to make you hesitant to purchase any model year. As I understand most, if not all, reports were made of the 06 model year.

penguin
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
There have been approximately 75 complaints reported of the 150k plus vehicles produced. It should not be a cause to make you hesitant to purchase any model year. As I understand most, if not all, reports were made of the 06 model year.

Actually, there were 402 complaints for 06 models and 48 for 07 models (163k vehicles made) DCC has already acknowledge the problem that may stem from 'vapor purge corruption' and 'ESP activation events' (as they call them). Although the letter from DCC to NHTSA is a bit contradictory saying that is what might be a cause of the loss, but if it is a cause of the loss, it couldn't cause the vehicle's to turn off at highway speed. (DCC letter 1/4/08 to NHTSA). DCC has already acknowledged a problem at low speeds and are not trying to limit their liability for high speeds as there are a few suits pending with high speed accidents.

RedCommander
01-28-2008, 08:41 PM
My point still stands. Less than 2 tenths of a percent of the owners have reported a problem. This is no cause to not purchase the Commander. Those aren't exactly Ford Pinto numbers are they?

I'm not disputing that some of you have the problem, don't get me wrong on that. But the majority of these vehicles are trouble free. Even on this site. Obviously there are a few vocal people, like Penguin that rightfully won't let a problem persist, but don't let them brainwash you into believing that most of the Commanders have an issue.

penguin
01-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I think brainwashing is a little overdramatic a term to use. Irrespective, the number of complaints reported to the NHTSA is not the overall number as an unknown number will always go unreported. I do believe the problem is with the first MY of the Commander, that's why the later ones have little or no - as DCX/DCC used different manufacturing techniques and parts later on. To say the Commander is a POS is without merit. However, to say the 2006 and early 2007 MY's didn't have these problems is also without merit. And what happens if/when DCC now has to recall and the VIN ranges for this problem - then it won't be a small problem. It happens all the time:

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 367,500 Toyota and Lexus sport utility vehicles in the United States because a piece in the front console area could come loose and interfere with the gas pedal.

In a separate announcement Wednesday, Nissan North America Inc. said it would recall nearly 201,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2003 model year to fix a faulty sensor that can cause the engine to shut down.

See, small things can have a big impact.

ahambrick
01-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I appreciate all the input. I've been looking at both the Nissan Pathfinder and the Commander. From what I read on the forums, gas milage, blind spots and the engine shut down problem, are issues that are talked about most where the Commander is concerned. Makes me hesitant to buy, so I'm just trying to get a "feel" from the community... those of you that actually own Commanders.

PolarBZ
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I love my Commander. Sure, its sometimes hard to see certain places... but you adapt. All vehicles have quirks. I've never regretted getting mine and I know that my family is safe - regardless of terrain or weather.

CrzCajun
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I haven't had any issues with my XK shutting off. The only problems I had have been minor and the dealer took care of it right away. I do not regret buying my Commander at all and I love it.

penguin
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I appreciate all the input. I've been looking at both the Nissan Pathfinder and the Commander. From what I read on the forums, gas milage, blind spots and the engine shut down problem, are issues that are talked about most where the Commander is concerned. Makes me hesitant to buy, so I'm just trying to get a "feel" from the community... those of you that actually own Commanders.

All cars are going to have some kind of issue. I'm pretty sure you won't find any car without a TSB out on it. I don't regret buying my XK one bit. It has had some minor issues (in the one year of owning it, it has only shut off 5 times), but nothing insurmountable. Gas mileage could be better but after 1 year, I've actually improved from 15ish mpg (mixed) to about 17ish mpg (mixed). Blind spots aren't too bad, the reverse sensors help alot. I was an accident investigator and am an insurance adjuster so my XK is my work vehicle - and I'm damn glad it is. It's got just enough room for me and my family, the price was great and the XK (at the time of build) was the safest car in DCC's history (not sure if that has been surpassed yet). All in all, I would tell my sister to buy one (I'm trying to get her to buy one now). Just my .02.