Anyone running 255/65R17 Wranglers?? [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: Anyone running 255/65R17 Wranglers??

Hemi-Overland
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm looking for something just barely wider than the stock size Forteras with no mods on my xk.

Will those rub? And is the diameter the same or REALLY close to the stock size? I don't want it smaller..either same or just barely larger would be okay...but wondering about the rubbing.

thx guys.

GPintheMitten
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Stock is 245/65/17, and that is 29.54 inches diameter. 255/65/17 Wrangler Silent Armors are 30.1 inches diameter.

Hemi-Overland
12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
so...just about a 1/2 inch taller. Will that cause any rubbing? My first thought would be a 'no'.

GPintheMitten
12-12-2008, 04:05 AM
so...just about a 1/2 inch taller. Will that cause any rubbing? My first thought would be a 'no'.

I'm thinking no, but I hope others jump in here, who might have more experience.

robby
12-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Actually only 1/4 taller as only 1 side is on the ground.
So, installed, 1/4 closer to front edge of wheel housing, 1/4 closer to rear edge of wheel housing, etc, etc.
Again, yes 1/2 overall, but only 1/4 from centerline.
I can't imagine these clearances to be so close as to not allow for 1/4" additional.

Rob

Hemi-Overland
12-12-2008, 06:48 AM
I did a bunch of research and a search for 255/65R17. I couldn't get/find a definitive answer from what I read about no chance of rubbing even at full lock. I just don't want to take that chance. There would be a 1.7% diff in speed. Looks like dealer wouldn't be able to correct that with their StarScan. I'd have to buy some aftermarket unit. Can't justify spacers right now...wish I could, then I'd would certainly go a bit bigger.

So...245s (stock) it is for the Wrangler SilentArmors...getting them in a few hours (Friday 12th).

ANYTHING will be better than these minivan Toyo Open Country H/Ts I had put on.....totally my bad. But at least I can swap them out for only the difference in price for the GY Wranglers. whew.

They may not be as wide as I'd like...but at least I'll be ready for just about anything...mud, dirt, snow rain...these Toyos....NO rating for off road...nothing. Thank god I can change them.

Don't EVER try to save a couple bucks with a lower end tire. Lesson learned.

Discount Tire
12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm looking for something just barely wider than the stock size Forteras with no mods on my xk.

Will those rub? And is the diameter the same or REALLY close to the stock size? I don't want it smaller..either same or just barely larger would be okay...but wondering about the rubbing.

thx guys.

You can absolutely run the 255/65-17 without any rubbing issues. Our fitment guide shows the factory wheel dimensions at 17x7.5 with a 44mm offset. with a 7.5" wide wheel, you can run anywhere from a 235 to a 255 with an offset range of 9 to 59mm. You speedo will be off like you stated. If your speedo reads 65mph, you are really going 66.12 mph. Very minimal difference.

Hemi-Overland
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
ah...too late. Just got back with the 245s. Oh well...I'll have to wait another 30K or so for the bigger ones.

but

I DEFINATELY like the look. They are waaaay better than those silly Toyos. It looks like a jeep again

Hemi-Overland
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
With you guys using the Wrangler SilentArmors....what PSI are you using?

The tire place put in 45. As you know, the door jam says 35. I've read where a higher PSI works good for this tire...I just don't want uneven wear

AKFossil
12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I always place my faith in the installers but then again they are looking for reoccuring business... hmm

Hey can we get a snapshot sometime? I am curious to see how the stock size looks on your rig.

Hemi-Overland
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Yea...I'll do that...might be a bit before I can upload. I've been having trouble getting my laptop to talk with the camera. I wished I'd taken pics of the Toyo H/Ts on there. It didn't look right.

robby
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Doorjam pressure is generally correct.
The vehicle manufacturer has determined how big a footprint is desired based in the weight each axle carries.
That being said, if you had gone to vastly different design, like some real heavy six ply series mudder or of some sort, you would experiment to determine what pressure works best for your needs.
The 45psi on the sidewall is the maximum operating cold pressure for that tire. The tire manufacturer does not know what the tire will be mounted on, hence, the max specification.

Hope that doesn't muddy the water too much,
Rob

Hemi-Overland
12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
I understand all that. Reading LOTS of reviews of these Wranglers, people were complaining about them being wobbly and flexing too much on turns or evasive manuevers. I'm guessing maybe they know this...the set I just had on they inflated to 35. I'll let it sit for a few weeks at 45 and see how I like it. I also read that since it's a heavier tire, MPGs have gone down...maybe by 1 or 2 gal.

Man, hard to pick just the right tire ya know...

CrzCajun
12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
If you look on the tire itself, it'll tell you what the max psi is for that tire. I'm running 255/70/17 Silent Armors and I believe it says 44 psi on the tire.

Hemi-Overland
12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I will experiment with PSI later this month. I don't have time right now with work. I will take them down to 35 and then take a drive around town and the highway.

We have noticed some vibrations at higher speeds. Starting around 73 mph she starts to shake, probably a balance issue. And of course more shakey at 80 which is the norm speed around Atlanta. We have a drive to FL in March, hopefully I can get these puppies rebalanced to be better at higher speeds. But under 70...NO vibration at all. And never had a vibration with the OEM Forteras.

Tzeep
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I joined the forum today, what valuble info available ....However, I know my response is a bit late. I have been running with the Goodyear wrangler 255/65R17 for 34375 miles to date. That is on my 2006 Commander 5.7 Hemi. I do a lot of off road and tar driving with a lot of praise for their performance. Would recommend them anytime....Ooh and no rubbing..