What makes a Jeep "Trail Rated"? [Archive] - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

: What makes a Jeep "Trail Rated"?

guyshmee
08-14-2006, 09:38 PM
What does the badge mean? And why doesn't by Commander have one? I have a 4.7L.

XJaiger
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Do you have 4x4 or 4x2?

sgilbert
08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Mine does! It's a Hemi Limited, though----your's may be different.

On a side note: Why does Jeep put the emblem on the driver side, but not on the passenger side?

guyshmee
08-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I have a 4X4, it is a base Commander with the u package.

topcop38
08-14-2006, 11:25 PM
mine is also the u package with a 3.7 and 4x4 with no badge.

lovemyjeep
08-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Trail rated means that it has the Quadra-Trac II Active Full-Time 4WD and also the 3.73 axle ratio. Are you sure you have the 4.7, because it is a standard option with the 4.7.

XKPearl
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
You need the NV245 two speed transfer case and stuff that comes w/ it to be "Trail Rated". IIRC, on the 4.7L it comes w/ the off-road package and it may be an option if you have the tow package. There may even be a "Trail Rated" package w/ the 3.7L if you have the off-road option. Otherwise, I believe the technical lingo is that the "Trail Rated" XKs are 4WD(by Jeep standards) and the non-"Trail Rated" XKs are AWD(full-time single speed torque transfer systems).

XKPearl

hemi lover
08-15-2006, 12:04 PM
On a side note: Why does Jeep put the emblem on the driver side, but not on the passenger side?

I hope your joking! there should be one badge on each side.

The emblems basically that you have the one of the 2 upgraded 4x4 systems Quadra- Drive 2, and Quadra- Trac 2. Each have 2 speed transfer cases (4 Lo) If you don't have the badge you probably have Quadra- Trac 1, which is the basic 4x4 system I think.

sgilbert
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I hope your joking! there should be one badge on each side.

The emblems basically that you have the one of the 2 upgraded 4x4 systems Quadra- Drive 2, and Quadra- Trac 2. Each have 2 speed transfer cases (4 Lo) If you don't have the badge you probably have Quadra- Trac 1, which is the basic 4x4 system I think.

Uh, no...I've got the QuadraDrive...says so on the tailgate. Only 1 "Trail Rated" emblem...on the driver side.:confused:

hemi lover
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Uh, no...I've got the QuadraDrive...says so on the tailgate. Only 1 "Trail Rated" emblem...on the driver side.:confused:

You might want to check with your dealership, get them to put on another emblem on the other side. We cant have an uneven Commander!

sgilbert
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
You might want to check with your dealership, get them to put on another emblem on the other side. We cant have an uneven Commander!

Maybe that's why it leans 1/8" to the left! :eek:

Will ask next time I'm by there.

XKPearl
08-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Don't forget about the "Trail Rated" badge on the tailgate and the spare badge in the glovebox, or was that one on the hood and the spare badge in the jack compartment.:rolleyes:

Better yet, one "Trail Rated" badge on the driver's front fender would look just about right.:)

XKPearl

guyshmee
08-15-2006, 07:26 PM
So the only trail-rated Commander's are the Limited models, because you can't get quadra-trac II in anything but the Limited.

XKPearl
08-15-2006, 08:12 PM
So the only trail-rated Commander's are the Limited models, because you can't get quadra-trac II in anything but the Limited.

False.

XKPearl

ktek01
08-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Thats the only place they go. Doesnt have anything to do with engine, just which 4X4 package you have, but I have never seen a complete breakdown on what makes it trail rated or not.

http://www.jeep.com/trailrated/index.html

XKPearl
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
If this helps,

US 4x4 models:
XK Commanders that have the "Trail Rated" badge have a 4WD system(Jeep standards) and XK Commanders w/out the "Trail Rated" badge have an AWD system(Jeep standards).

The only "Trail Rated" 4WD "system" Jeep uses on the XK Commander is the NV245 two-speed electronically shifted transfer case which has 4x4 low (lock), neutral and full-time active 4x4 with an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52.

Jeep uses two different trade marked Four Wheel-Drive SYSTEMs that utilize this NV245 transfer case, Quadra-TracII and Quadra-DriveII. But, both are actually the same NV245 system with the difference being that the Quadra-DriveII adds ELSD which is Electronic Limited Slip Differentials.

The non-"Trail Rated" system uses a single-speed full-time NV140 transfer case which has an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. This is closer to many car based SUV AWD systems.

IIRC, all Hemi 4x4 XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-DriveII). 4.7L XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) as part of the Off-Road Package. Also, I beleive there is a package combination you can get the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) w/ the 3.7L but am unsure.

In a nutshell, a real two speed transfer case w/ low lock and neutral is needed by Jeep standards to tackle the "Trail Rated" requirements. The single speed full-time torque transfer system is AWD and therefore are not "Trail Rated".

XKPearl:)

Mango~Ridge
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Sound good XKPearl, now, is the driver Trail Rated?? hee hee hee.

XKPearl
08-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Only if the driver gets Jeep to apply a "Trail Rated" badge on his/her left breast pocket. Or was that one on the sleeve w/ a spare in the wallet.:D

2006-4.7-WHITE-LIMITED
08-19-2006, 04:41 PM
It's an old Dodge tradition from years past the 1 side emblem. Back in the 60's the 1 Dodge Pentastar was located on the passenger side fenders. So the tradition lives on in this DCM Corp. vehicle line.

hemi lover
08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
It's an old Dodge tradition from years past the 1 side emblem. Back in the 60's the 1 Dodge Pentastar was located on the passenger side fenders. So the tradition lives on in this DCM Corp. vehicle line.

That's true! I remember in the 80s and 90s when there was a badge on one side. The funny thing is my Commander has a trail rated badge on both sides. I didn't add it on, it was there when I bought it. I don't know if my Commander is just a goof up, because when I was at my dealership all of the commanders only had the badge on one side.

Commander Ron
08-20-2006, 03:56 AM
There is only one "Trail Rated" emblem on all Commanders (driver side) so my dealer tells me. I found one on e-bay to add to my commander for balance. They also had some really nice looking 3m decals that can be applied around the emblem if you are looking for a classy look. I have a black limited so it was a nice touch. I am also putting an additional emblem on the right rear liftgate since there is nothing there other than 4x4 limited on the left side of the litfgate.

TR4Runner
08-20-2006, 09:06 AM
:D :D Thought this was funny :D :D

http://www.claytoncramer.com/pictures/Scenery/MallRated.jpg

XKPearl
08-21-2006, 08:42 AM
That is a great decal,:D

Does anyone know where to get one?? It would look perfect on the rear window of my wife's truck.

Mango~Ridge
08-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I believe you can get/order them from your local DC parts department. If not try ebay. In 03 I could get them from DC part department. My 03 KJ didn't have one, I was able to call DC and they sent me one, they even sent me one for my wife's 02 GC.

Creek
08-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Mine only has the badge on one siode. I have not seen one on each side, but found it strange the it didn't. The wranglers I have seen only have the badge on one side.

SYCOHEMI
08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
That mall rated sticker is hilarious. I would love to get some extra ones and stick them on my buddies rides when they are not looking.

walkjon
08-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know if the badges vary in size? Are they larger on the Commander than on a Wrangler or Liberty?

rubicontrail.net
08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know if the badges vary in size? Are they larger on the Commander than on a Wrangler or Liberty?

No, the Trail Rated badge is the same for all models. There are two versions. The pre-2005 design is thin and a grayish color. The 2005+ design is heavier and is black and chrome.

Command This.
01-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Are all Jeep Commanders "Trail Rated" ??

HemiCommander
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Are all Jeep Commanders "Trail Rated" ??

No. You must have 4x4 to be considered Trail Rated. Go to the Jeep Web site and read about it... gives a pretty good explination. :D

JeepRig
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
No, I think it is pretty much only jeeps with the 4 wheel drive low which QT2 or QD2.

I have a 65th anniversay edition as well and only have QT1 which is all wheel drive without the 4 wheel lo.

There may be a couple of other things that come in play for it to be "trail rated" but to answer your question - No. Not all 4x4 are trail rated either.

JeepRig
01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Hemi, I wasn't disagreeing with your explanation I was responded to the original post. We must have posted at the same time.

I think "trail-rated" has to be at least 4 wheel lo. I could be wrong.

Dabitz
01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I might be wrong, but I think skid plates are required for it to be "trail rated".

jeep5253
01-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Skid plates are NOT required for it to be trail rated.

jeep5253
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
From the jeep.com website:

We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording.

Command This.
01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Ok - So Q1 Commanders are not trail rated. Thise are the ones with the V6 and all-time AWD with no low feature other than shifting into 1 or 2.

MY NEXT QUESTION -
Is the All-time all wheel drive not as good in off road situations as regular 4wd? -- pros/cons ?? thanks

SmokinDav
01-11-2007, 08:19 AM
MY NEXT QUESTION -
Is the All-time all wheel drive not as good in off road situations as regular 4wd? -- pros/cons ?? thanks

It goes like this Quadra Trac I, Quadra Trac II and Quadra Drive II. Quadra Drive II is the best for off-roading as all the center differential is electronically controlled to transfer power to the front or rear diffs and the front and rear diffs are both limited slip. Now, I'm not sure if they lock up in 4Lo or not. Someone else would have to answer that.

Dabitz
01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Ok - So Q1 Commanders are not trail rated. Thise are the ones with the V6 and all-time AWD with no low feature other than shifting into 1 or 2.

MY NEXT QUESTION -

What QT1 does is, it transfer torque to the axle that slips allowing both axels to travel at different speeds, while allowing for the axle that does have traction do do the job. The more advanced Quadra systems transfer torque to specific wheels and are way more complex. That is why QT1 is only suitable for light off-roading, like dirt rocks, light climbing, but NOT for rock climbing or any other hardcore off-roading. QT1 is indeed an AWD, but it is more advanced than that and allows for torque transfer to the axle with traction. That is why some folks are reporting good results in the snow and dirt roads. Some QT1 guys claim they can't even get the wheels to spin in the snow. We are still waiting for snow in NJ so I can't confirm that statement.

commanderdrone
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
MY NEXT QUESTION -

The general concensus (sp?) is that all-time 4x is not as reliable in "hard-core" (read: rock-crawling, extreme heat situations, etc.) offroading, as the multitude of parts needed to facilitate AWD (primarily: differential at the xfer case) require a reduction in quality to keep prices affordable to the average consumer. That is, they try to keep prices close to the part-time 4wd systems, and as a result they have to cut corners somewhere.

Then again, I doubt most of us will be putting the commanders in a situation where this would be an issue. And, noted, if you did - it would probably invalidate your warranty =)

!c

wannabe
01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Trail rated is a joke. CJ/TJ/WJ owners who off road their rigs laugh at this marketing campaign. It's only really rated for trips to the mall.

If you take it out to some real off road trails, you will find that the tires are inadquate, the skid plates are junk and the transfer case/diff combo are weak and it's too low to the ground and don't get me started about the IFS.

And if you're asking about the "Trail Rated" certification, you've got a lot to learn.

I strongly suggest to anyone interested in what "Trail Rated" really means to partner up with someone who off roads. In a TJ/CJ or built up WJ. I'm sure they'll be happy to take you off road as a passenger and show you what "Trail Rated" really means.

And no, it doesn't mean lifting your rig 6" adding ARB lockers w/twin shifter transfercase. You don't have to go crazy, but, driving off the showroom floor into off road trails with OEM junk, you're not going to make it.

But BE CAREFUL! Once you go off roading, it will get into your blood. It's a blast.

SmokinDav
01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Trail rated is a joke. CJ/TJ/WJ owners who off road their rigs laugh at this marketing campaign. It's only really rated for trips to the mall.

If you take it out to some real off road trails, you will find that the tires are inadquate, the skid plates are junk and the transfer case/diff combo are weak and it's too low to the ground and don't get me started about the IFS.

And if you're asking about the "Trail Rated" certification, you've got a lot to learn.

I strongly suggest to anyone interested in what "Trail Rated" really means to partner up with someone who off roads. In a TJ/CJ or built up WJ. I'm sure they'll be happy to take you off road as a passenger and show you what "Trail Rated" really means.

And no, it doesn't mean lifting your rig 6" adding ARB lockers w/twin shifter transfercase. You don't have to go crazy, but, driving off the showroom floor into off road trails with OEM junk, you're not going to make it.

But BE CAREFUL! Once you go off roading, it will get into your blood. It's a blast.

I agree - it is a great marketing campaign. But remember, the comparsion should be apples-to-apples, i.e. Commander vs. Trailblazer or Explorer. Comparing a Commander to a Wrangler is not what the whole TrailRated deal is about. Of course the Wrangler is a better off roader. But the Jeep Commander is a much more capable vehicle than anything else out there that is competes DIRECTLY with. Limited slip differentials being the biggest benefit versus the competition.

I'm not sure about the H3 - it may be offroad capable but it is so ugly and such a compromised vehicle that I won't even be bothered to research it as I would never be caught dead in one. :)

mikey
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
The "Trail Rated" is B.S. gimmick.
Due to a grossly undersized gas tank and average mileage of about 11 mpg (4.7V8), the Commander runs out of gas in about 200 miles. Thus, unless your "TRAIL" is very short, you need to carry an extra gas can. So much for "trail rating". And by the way, I hit a small pothole on the way from the Midway (in Chicago), just before entrance to I-55. Immediately, the steering wheel went "cockeyed" which means the car's front end is the hell ouf of balance. On one pothole??? Trail-frigging-rated? Give me a break. Good luck on on your pothole-free trails. This car is abomination.

commanderdrone
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
So much for "trail rating". And by the way, I hit a small pothole on the way from the Midway (in Chicago), just before entrance to I-55. Immediately, the steering wheel went "cockeyed" which means the car's front end is the hell ouf of balance. On one pothole??? Trail-frigging-rated? Give me a break. Good luck on on your pothole-free trails. This car is abomination.

No offense, but this is the silliest thing I've heard all day, you were doing, what, 60 when you hit that "pothole"? I drive on some of the most destroyed streets daily (Houston is built on a swamp, by the time they're done patching roads, they have to start over again.) I hit a minimum of twenty potholes a day, sometimes at speeds approaching 50, and I've never had such an occurence.

Everyone knows that "trail rated" is a marketing gimmick. That notwithstanding, Jeep is known for producing some of the best off-road stock vehicles. Sure, the parts they put on aren't the best, but you'd be complaining if they put poison spyder and ARB gear on there and knocked your price up $10k. In fact, I suspect some of y'all would complain no matter what. The vehicle is very small part of the equation -- if you can't drive it, you're going to get it stuck no matter what, and the more high-end stuff they put on there, the further out you get stuck. I saw a guy make the entire river road in big bend in a honda element -- his secret? He'd done the road 20 times before in 4x's, he knew what he was doing.

BTW, I've only ever gotten 200 miles to a tank in in-town stop & go driving. On the highway, in my 5.7l I get 400 miles per tank @ 60mph, and 340 @ 80mph. I've done 100 miles of off-road on less than half a tank. Where are you running 200+ mile trails in the US?!

!c

topcop38
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
i can confirm it for you. about 4" of snow and i floored it from a stop and no spin. it did make some noise in the left front. i assume this had something to do with the torque transfer. it sounded a little like gears grinding.

JeepRig
01-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Well said Commanderdrone!

kmag51
01-11-2007, 01:47 PM
No offense, but this is the silliest thing I've heard all day, you were doing, what, 60 when you hit that "pothole"? I drive on some of the most destroyed streets daily (Houston is built on a swamp, by the time they're done patching roads, they have to start over again.) I hit a minimum of twenty potholes a day, sometimes at speeds approaching 50, and I've never had such an occurence.

Everyone knows that "trail rated" is a marketing gimmick. That notwithstanding, Jeep is known for producing some of the best off-road stock vehicles. Sure, the parts they put on aren't the best, but you'd be complaining if they put poison spyder and ARB gear on there and knocked your price up $10k. In fact, I suspect some of y'all would complain no matter what. The vehicle is very small part of the equation -- if you can't drive it, you're going to get it stuck no matter what, and the more high-end stuff they put on there, the further out you get stuck. I saw a guy make the entire river road in big bend in a honda element -- his secret? He'd done the road 20 times before in 4x's, he knew what he was doing.

BTW, I've only ever gotten 200 miles to a tank in in-town stop & go driving. On the highway, in my 5.7l I get 400 miles per tank @ 60mph, and 340 @ 80mph. I've done 100 miles of off-road on less than half a tank. Where are you running 200+ mile trails in the US?!

!c

He isnt...he just likes to gripe!!!

commanderdrone
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
He isnt...he just likes to gripe!!!

No kidding, and _if_ he had ever run a 200 mile trail, he'd know that he had better be taking along spare gas anyhow, no matter how big his tank is. No one wants to be stuck out 100+miles b/c they failed to account for a broken fuel tank!

I always carry spare fuel when off-roading, even if I don't have issues - someone else might. My '05 rubicon (RIP) had two 5-gal cans mounted on the back. I've had to help people re-fuel 40 miles out on the PINS several times - you get tired of giving them rides back and forth.

!c

Edit: I also want to note that I haven't seen many, if any, 'hardcore' off-road rigs (low gearing, lots of torque, etc.) that can go much further than, if even, 200 miles on one tank on a trail.

bravo2376
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
If all you want to do is bash the Commander then get in one and drive into a wall. I'm sure then, you would have something to bitch about then also, because the airbag didn't work and you got a bloody nose. If all you have is bitch, gripes and complaints about the XK then get rid of it. Trail Rated and freaking climbing a Mt Everest of rocks are two different things.

Dabitz
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
deep breath... count to ten.... I hear you though!

JeepRig
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
ahhh....after a nice christmas and a great trip up the coast in the XK, I have been going through "Mikey" withdrawals. I needed to come back to earth...

Mikey helps balance out the highs in life....:)

bravo2376
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry all, wasnt talking about anyone inparticular, just got a freakin chill in the spine.

HemiCommander
01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
The "Trail Rated" is B.S. gimmick.
Due to a grossly undersized gas tank and average mileage of about 11 mpg (4.7V8), the Commander runs out of gas in about 200 miles. Thus, unless your "TRAIL" is very short, you need to carry an extra gas can. So much for "trail rating". And by the way, I hit a small pothole on the way from the Midway (in Chicago), just before entrance to I-55. Immediately, the steering wheel went "cockeyed" which means the car's front end is the hell ouf of balance. On one pothole??? Trail-frigging-rated? Give me a break. Good luck on on your pothole-free trails. This car is abomination.
Mikey,

When are you going to get rid of your Commander and get something that you enjoy???? :rolleyes: All I hear you do is bitch about the XK - esp the size of the gas tank - again if you are that unhappy why do you not buy something less adequate (by Jeep standards) that you can enjoy?

topcop38
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
i get 295 miles to a tank in town. probably 400 on the highway.

20 gallon tank x 15 mpg = 300 miles in town.

20 gallon tank x 22 mpg = 440 miles on the highway.

this is with the 3.7 but my understanding is the 4.7 only gets 1 mpg less which is only 20 miles less per tank. that sounds pretty good to me considering its over 2 tons, as aerodynamic as a brick and 4x4 to boot.

Command This.
01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
WOW that got off topic...

kmag51
01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
WOW that got off topic...

Mikey does that to you!!

HemiCommander
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Mikey does that to you!!
Yea - I can just picture some sniviling little 21 year old just wanting to torque us for kicks :p

Anyway, sounds like the only thing that Mikey will like is Life Cereal!! :D - and would probably gripe that the box was not big enough! (which having a small box would cause an inferority complex :eek: )

mikey
01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Dear cop: Your math is wrong.
1. When the gage light is ON and there is zero miles left on on gas tank, I can usually put 18 gallons in, plus or minus 0.2 gal. So let's forget about 20 gallons. I am sure there is still 2 gallons left but it make me way to nervouus to drive with a frigging light on.
2. You have 3.7 and most of us have 4.7V8 - there is quite a difference.
3. Average mileage in the city is 11 miles/gal X 18 = 198 miles - that's where the car goes empty.
4. On a highway it is about 13mpg x 18 = 234 miles. Once I drove the whole 250 miles.
I really don't complain about mileage too much. I know the car is big and heavy. But Explorer or a full-size Montero I had before were not much smaller and I was getting 14-15 city and 18-22 hwy. I always did 300 city/400 miles hwy in those cars and this thing came a shock.
Another year and I'll get rid of it. Probably for a 1/3 of the price I paid.

joskt0204
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree the tank is small, but I think maybe you just have the wrong vehicle for your type of driving. I drove mine about 175 miles today and got 17-18 miles. This was part interstate, part town, some small highway, and a little waiting to go through a tunnel. I have the 5.7 awd with 12,000 miles on it. I'm pretty much a lead foot, but I'm working on it.

Katy

topcop38
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
mikey, if your mileage is that bad then you either have a problem with the vehicle or you have an extremely heavy foot. i haven't heard of anyone getting that bad of mileage.
as for the 20 gallons and the low fuel light, i don't usually run mine down that low. when it hits 1/4 tank i usually stop and fill it up but i do notice that if it reads 1/2 tank it taked about 10 gallons to fill it. i know thats not an exact science but i'm just noting it.

John
01-20-2007, 06:20 AM
There are TWO GOOD REASONS for filling your gas tank at 1/4 rather then lower.
1. As you get toward the bottom of the tank all the gunk that has accumulated there can get sucked into the fuel filter.
2. If the fuel pump is like other jeep models it is IN THE TANK and it uses the gasonline to keep it cool. My son, who ran his Cherokee down to empty often burnt out two fuel pumps before he wised up. john

topcop38
01-20-2007, 10:10 AM
i don't let my truck get below 1/2 tank unless i'm on a road trip. my wife will run the JC lower but i try to keep it over 1/4 at all times. not so much for the reasons you pointed out but for the fact that i usually just fill them up instead of puttinh $10 or 20 on it and its cheaper to fill it at 1/2 then at 1/4:D .

Creek
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
On a recent road trip in my 4.7 I got off the interstate and the computer told me I had zero miles until empty, and it only took 18 gals. Also it dropped from 13 to 0 in about three miles. Usually don't run so close, but needed to get of at this particular exit and didn't want to stop twice.

rubicontrail.net
01-22-2007, 03:44 PM
On a recent road trip in my 4.7 I got off the interstate and the computer told me I had zero miles until empty, and it only took 18 gals. Also it dropped from 13 to 0 in about three miles. Usually don't run so close, but needed to get of at this particular exit and didn't want to stop twice.

Right because when it says 0 miles to empty there are still about 2 - 3 gallons left in the tank... this is your safety net.

Herd Mentality
01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
*Holy weird...I posted this in a completely different topic*

mikey
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey Katy:
I drove SUV's ever since 1986, before they were called SUV's and they were all fine for my type of driving. This thing... is something else. Want one more goofy thing that freaks me out? When the 3rd seat is down (and it's always down as it is useless) there is an 1.5" gap between the back of the seat and the lift gates into which all the s..t loves to go, especially the glass bottles. After the first glorious experience when my shopping when flying out the car (bottles first of course) once the lift gate was open I stopped opening the lift gate altogether unless I look inside and unjam everything out of that 1.5" hole - used only glass. Soon I came up with solution. I cut a piece of 41" long 2"X6" board and stuck it in between the back of the seat and the lift gate. The wood stays in place and stuff cannot go past the board. This car was designed by demended idiots. After a few months of owning it I predicted they will stop production in a few years. I was right - 2009 model year will be the last. This will have a delightful effect on the value of the car. 'nuff said.

topcop38
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
i dunno mikey. maybe you got christine reborn. i've had mine since 3/13/06 and just turned 12000 miles and haven't had a single problem with it. gas mileage is as good as can be expected from a brick (15 mpg in town, 21 hwy).
it goes fantastic in the snow. looks good rides nice.
as for the rear lift gate issue, i had that with our durango and my blazers.
this thing has had less reliability issues than our durango or our 96 ford windstar that we bought brand new. the windstar with a 3.8 V6 got 13-14 mpg and the durango with the 5.2 got 13.
the only complaint i have with ours is the seat material. we have a black lab that goes everywhere with us and whatever the material is made of traps the hair in it. its a miserable job getting those hairs out. the shop vac won't do it. had i known this i would have gotten the leather.

originally i didn't want the jeep but after my wife nagging me for 6 months i gave in and i love it. definitely the best vehicle we've had in the last 10 years, if not longer.

Jeeper64
01-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Turn off the traction control...Then you can get the wheels to spin!!

bravo2376
01-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Hey Katy: When the 3rd seat is down (and it's always down as it is useless) there is an 1.5" gap between the back of the seat and the lift gates into which all the s..t loves to go, especially the glass bottles. After the first glorious experience when my shopping when flying out the car (bottles first of course) once the lift gate was open I stopped opening the lift gate altogether unless I look inside and unjam everything out of that 1.5" hole - used only glass. Soon I came up with solution. I cut a piece of 41" long 2"X6" board and stuck it in between the back of the seat and the lift gate. The wood stays in place and stuff cannot go past the board. Hey mikey, they sell nets for not that much, which would solve that problem.

topcop38
01-23-2007, 07:22 AM
most seat covers are pretty ugly looking. i'd rather spend a couple hours every week cleaning it than to have them covered.

limited white 5.7
01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Well I just had mine in its first snow. I was playing, stopping on steep hills etc.. This thing is awsome, I have had blazers,broncos,expeditions and two other jeeps. This is by far the best in the snow. I love my 5.7 limited!!!

kmag51
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I have to agree....after owning two Durangos which were good in the snow this Jeep is better then good it is awesome....the truck just glides through the stuff. Oh and a not to the complainer Mikey....I got a net for the back of mine for next to nothing and it does a great job...as I said before go buy a crossover vehicle or something and start complaining in their forum. nuff said.

HemiCommander
01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
... Oh and a not to the complainer Mikey....I got a net for the back of mine for next to nothing and it does a great job...as I said before go buy a crossover vehicle or something and start complaining in their forum. nuff said.
Evidently Mikey cannot afford a cargo net - as the $25.00 would cut into his gas money :eek:
http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/commander/cargonet.htm

Plus he probably needs the wood to help defend himself from all the other people he bitches to about other things (LOL)

Nitro Express
01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Spelling ~ C-
Grammar ~ D+
Wooden board ~ Priceless

Who just tosses groceries / glass bottles in the back to let them roll around wherever they want to? So now that the board is back there he just lets the bottles (and anything else) flop around? Mikey, do the bottles ever hit one another? Call me frivolous but I bought a couple of Rola cargo organizers for my Commander. Mikey, do you drive angry as well? One last thing Mikey, the gap is 1.5". Show me a glass bottle that has a diameter of 1.5" or less. Unless you ment to say glass viles? I can't help but ask, what is a "demended idiot"?

Blake
01-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Spelling ~ C-

Unless you ment to say glass viles?

or even glass vials :D

Nitro Express
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Good catch Blake, I'm going to have to keep my eye on you... :cool:

prudemonkey
04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I had another Trail Rated Question - As I stated before, I own a 2006 Commander Limted 5.7. It is pretty well loaded, w/ the saddle leather, the hemi and QDII, however, I have no Trail Rated badges. I know I am missing the tow hooks and skid plates, but I thought that all 4Lo equipped Jeeps had the "Trail Rated" badge. Not a huge deal, but was curious if anyone found out what actually designates a Jeep as "Trail Rated"

RedCommander
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Are you sure you have QDII, do you have the tbar to lock it in 4 low?

prudemonkey
04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
definately have QDII w/ the little t-bar. Since I bought a "demo" - i am wondering if production date on it is an older 2006 that maybe was an earlier production that did not have the decals? Just trying to figure it out - did early 2006 not have it in the GC's etc...? Or did the glue fall off before I bought it -

RedCommander
04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
First owner may have debadged it.

prudemonkey
04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I thought the same thing - the first owner was the dealer (his wife so I am told). Oh well, one I add the skid plates and hooks I'll be good to go.

a49erFan
04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I purchased a center console on eBay which had the DVD player attached, I do not need the QDII tag if your interested. Gonna take the shifted off and resell it as they are going for aprox $70 on eBay.

prudemonkey
04-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks - but my console has the Quadra Drive tag below the shifter, but I am missing the "Trail Rated" badge on the side of the vehicle. Those shifters are going for $70 - thats crazy.

John
04-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Every 4wd Jeep with 4wd low is entitled to the Trail Rated Badge. You can contact Jeep Corp and they will send you a new one. I asked for and received one for my 2001 TJ which was before they had such a thing. You will need to supply your VIN number when you request the badge. john

a49erFan
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I have also seen the Trail Rated Badge on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeep-Trail-Rated-4X4-Factory-Unused-Emblem_W0QQitemZ190102326600QQihZ009QQcategoryZ107 74QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fohn_Jargo
04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm finding humor in this thread.

First off, I took my JC down a washed out dirt road that goes directly into the woods at lunch today.

I used to take my '98 2wd Ranger down this road from the other end but it was too steep in places to do the whole thing.

Anyway I started at the point where the road turns to trail. There is a couple of small streams, 2-3 feet wide 4" deep, a couple of 20 degree inclines for about 10 feet or less, tight turns, and burms created by ATV drivers. The hardest part of the trail for the JC was how narrow the trail got at some points. By that I mean it was hard for me to hear small branches schreeeeeeeching down the side. I got a couple of minor surface scratches but nothing that won't come out just by washing.

My Commander is equipped with the 3.7 QT1 and performed very very well.

For the part of this thread I find humor in, I get the impression that Mikey would complain about eating boogers with a nose hair stuck in it. That would be gross eating a nose hair.

PolarBZ
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I know what Jeeps have to do to get trail-rated, I've read the Jeep site and all that good stuff. However, given that Jeeps must go over the Rubicon to be "trail-rated" doesn't it make sense that there would be some sort of "Trail-Rated" report or video out there somewhere showing exactly what the Xk did to get its trail rating? Surely someone has something. I've seen the Camp Jeep vids but wasn't too impressed and I've searched the YouTube over for more XK vids, but to little avail.

I'd really like to see what the XK looked like AFTER it went over the Rubicon. Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Fohn_Jargo
06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I know exactly what you are saying.

I too have done many searches to no avail. :(

John
06-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Rock stacking and body bashing. Having run the Rubicon trail myself thats the ONLY way I can imagin the Commander making it. john

meat
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I know what Jeeps have to do to get trail-rated, I've read the Jeep site and all that good stuff. However, given that Jeeps must go over the Rubicon to be "trail-rated" doesn't it make sense that there would be some sort of "Trail-Rated" report or video out there somewhere showing exactly what the Xk did to get its trail rating? Surely someone has something. I've seen the Camp Jeep vids but wasn't too impressed and I've searched the YouTube over for more XK vids, but to little avail.

I'd really like to see what the XK looked like AFTER it went over the Rubicon. Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Err...

The vehicle doesn't actually have to "go over" the Rubicon to get the Trail Rated badge. It only has to meet the requirements set up by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (http://www.natc-ht.com/index.html) and - specifically - the V-TRCS (http://www.natc-ht.com/V_TRCS.htm) (Vehicle Trail Rating Classification System) qualifications.

If you read the Jeep site, it doesn't say they drove it over the Rubicon to get the rating, it says "...The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording..." - which is a neat way of advertising.

I just don't want you to waste time looking for vids that don't exist.

This doesn't mean that the Trail Rated badge doesn't mean something, it just doesn't mean what you think it means ... or that it means necessarily what Jeep intimates that it does. What it means is that the vehicles were at a test track in Nevada.

Your pal,
Meat.

SF_JEEP
06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
The vehicle doesn't actually have to "go over" the Rubicon to get the Trail Rated badge. It only has to meet the requirements set up by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (http://www.natc-ht.com/index.html) and - specifically - the V-TRCS (http://www.natc-ht.com/V_TRCS.htm) (Vehicle Trail Rating Classification System) qualifications.

Does anyone know what other SUV's are "trail rated"?

Thanks,
SF_JEEP

rubicontrail.net
06-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know what other SUV's are "trail rated"?

Thanks,
SF_JEEP

All the Jeep vehicles except the Compass are available in Trail Rated trim.

UberCommander
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Is the V6 Commander with QTI trail rated? If it is then I would have no faith in the trail rating. No vehicle without 4Lo should be trail rated in my opinion.

HEMI
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Part of Jeeps "trail rating" requires the vehicle to have 4lo..

UberCommander
06-28-2007, 03:28 AM
I just found a video of what looks to be a Commander and it just might be the video you are looking for. http://youtube.com/watch?v=dUtT7406B0U

:P

John
06-28-2007, 05:39 AM
I have actually seen jeeps being run over the Rubicon for testing purposes. So I believe they do in fact run the trail in every trail rated jeep. john

meat
06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I have actually seen jeeps being run over the Rubicon for testing purposes. So I believe they do in fact run the trail in every trail rated jeep. john
I've actually seen Chrysler run Jeeps through Big Bear, the desert and even freeway traffic for testing purposes (testing ... with the media along for the ride ... almost as if the 'testing' was staged in some cases. Almost as if the marketing guys (the same ones who started the whole 'we run the rubicon' misconception) had a hand in it:rolleyes: ).

The bottom line is that running the trails doesn't get the 'trail rated' mark, meeting the criteria I noted above does.

Having 4 Low doesn't necessarily get an automatic "trail rated" pass. one of the current criteria is that you have to have a TRUE 4WD system, not an AWD system.

Your pal,
Meat.

SF_JEEP
06-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Having 4 Low doesn't necessarily get an automatic "trail rated" pass. one of the current criteria is that you have to have a TRUE 4WD system, not an AWD system.

Sorry I wasn't clear on my last post. I meant to say what other SUVs, other than Jeeps, would pass as "Trail Rated"?

Dabitz
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
QT1 is not trail rated, but it is not an AWD system. QT1 is still a 4x4 system that transfers torque to the axle with traction, unfortunately not to specific wheels, but it is a pretty good system. I had Mitsubishi SUV with AWD that would get stuck in the snow very easily. I have put my QT1 thought steep dirt climbs and through 1F of both slushy and hard snow, and believe it or not it barely slips at all. It is pretty impressive, I can only imagine how good the other systems are. Can't wait for the winter to be back! No I don't... LOL

I believe the weight and stance of the truck + the MB tranny on the V6 with QT1 help a lot. Oh, I also read somewhere that in order to be trail rated, it needs to have skid plates.

PolarBZ
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
You see, even after looking at the Jeep site and reading about "Trail-Rated" and what it says about those factors, it never actually says what exactly it has to achieve in those categories in order to be "Trail-Rated." Just that it is rated in those areas.

"Rock stacking and body bashing. Having run the Rubicon trail myself thats the ONLY way I can imagin the Commander making it. -john"

I can see that, but I would like to actually SEE that. Frustrating to think that there is good video out there about the capabilities of something and not being able to find it. I need to go work at Jeep or something...

"What it means is that the vehicles were at a test track in Nevada."

Hell, I'd even go for video of that for starters.

I guess I'd just like to look at some terrain and be able to say, "I can do that," without having to wreck my Jeep figuring out that I CAN'T do that. =)

PolarBZ
06-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Again, reading in the Jeep.com site, it says that "Trail Rated" is a registered trademark by DC. So, it would seem that no other vehicles besides Jeep would ever be able to be called "Trail-Rated."

Legalninja
06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsqm2-e57nk&mode=related&search=

Watch the last minute or 30 seconds to see the Commander on semi-rocky trails.

jeep5253
06-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Here's a few pics showing what it can do.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/2007MothersDayOffRoad075.jpg
http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/jeep1.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/jeep5253/Commanders/cmdrf.jpg?t=1266203236

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/jeep5253/Commanders/cmdrg.jpg?t=1266203285

PolarBZ
06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey, those top two look familiar. =)

jeep5253
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Glad you noticed !:D

meat
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
QT1 is not trail rated, but it is not an AWD system. QT1 is still a 4x4 system that transfers torque to the axle with traction, unfortunately not to specific wheels, but it is a pretty good system.
Actually, the QT I system is AWD.

A true 4x4 system has a two speed transfer case, the current QT I system is a single speed system, which makes it an AWD system.

Your pal,
Meat.

CG_Commander
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Quick question for all of you.....
Do you have to have Quadra-Trac II on the Commander to be considered "Trail-Rated" or can you have Quadra Trac I. Thanks.

Jeeper64
07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
You need Quadra Trac II to be trail rated

CG_Commander
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
What are some realistic off-road limitations on the Quadra-Trac I

Jeeper64
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Well I have the QT I in mine....fine for snow and some light off roading....fire trails and such....I wouldn't do any hard core off roading in it...Not that I would do any hard core off roading in a 30k plus vehicle anyhow

Fohn_Jargo
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I also have the QT1. Like previously stated; don't go where you will need low gear. There is no rock crawling in your future.

Fohn_Jargo
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Here is a link to a video I made of QT1 at work.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=66o6lhh

rubicontrail.net
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Quick question for all of you.....
Do you have to have Quadra-Trac II on the Commander to be considered "Trail-Rated" or can you have Quadra Trac I. Thanks.

QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive II... basically to be Trail Rated you need to have low range to get you out of the tough stuff. That is why there is no Trail Rated Compass (it isn't available with low range).

QuadraTrac I will get you through regular amount of snow (if you have a blizzard you might get stuck) and will do fine for normal forest roads etc.

Creepy Jeeper
07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I bought my Commander Used...so how do I know if I have the QuadraTrac II or the QuadraDrive II???

Tim

Creepy Jeeper
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok...Thanks...One of the questions I forgot to ask at the dealer

topcop38
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
i have QT1 and we had over a foot of snow this past winter and never spun a tire.

Jeeper64
08-01-2007, 12:32 PM
i have QT1 and we had over a foot of snow this past winter and never spun a tire.
I concur.....it ran great through the snow :)

Radiac
08-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I bought my Commander Used...so how do I know if I have the QuadraTrac II or the QuadraDrive II???

Tim

Get your build sheet from Jeep, it tells all.

Go to Jeep.com
bottom of page click on Contact Us
click on customer assistance
click on E-mail
Put "build sheet" in the top box, and fill in the rest.
They will e-mail it to you in a couple of days.

I did this with my Commander and Mrs. Radiac's GC. The will now have you as the vehicle owner in case of recalls.

CG_Commander
08-03-2007, 05:17 PM
So I guess I won't be featured on any Rock-Crawling contests with my QT-1 setup, however it should be fine for the beach assuming I let air out and don't launch it over dunes at 65mph right? Thanks

jaws1977
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
are all jeeps trail rated i have a 2007 comm with all options except nav, and auto lift gate but has 3.7L

07JeepXK
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
No not all Commanders are trail rated. Only the 4.7 Liter and 5.7 Liter. The 3.7 Liter is only full time 4x4 and doesnt have a 4 LOW and thats why its not trail rated.

jaws1977
07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
well that sucks...

jeep5253
07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
are all jeeps trail rated i have a 2007 comm with all options except nav, and auto lift gate but has 3.7L
US 4x4 models:
XK Commanders that have the "Trail Rated" badge have a 4WD system(Jeep standards) and XK Commanders w/out the "Trail Rated" badge have an AWD system(Jeep standards).

The only "Trail Rated" 4WD "system" Jeep uses on the XK Commander is the NV245 two-speed electronically shifted transfer case which has 4x4 low (lock), neutral and full-time active 4x4 with an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52.

Jeep uses two different trade marked Four Wheel-Drive SYSTEMs that utilize this NV245 transfer case, Quadra-TracII and Quadra-DriveII. But, both are actually the same NV245 system with the difference being that the Quadra-DriveII adds ELSD which is Electronic Limited Slip Differentials.

The non-"Trail Rated" system uses a single-speed full-time NV140 transfer case which has an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. This is closer to many car based SUV AWD systems.

a49erFan
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Merged "Trail Rated" threads to put all information in one thread.

TPS
07-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I remember reading a story a few years ago about jeep engineers running a Commander on the Rubicon trail - it was pretty beat up, but made it through. I found the pictures, just have not found the article yet....

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/4381/rubicon0125ig.jpg
http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/5132/rubicon0137fn.jpg

PolarBZ
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I believe these are from the same trip...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/3.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/4.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/5.jpg

Now, in all reality, that Commander doesn't look like it had hardly any protection. Imagine if that had a 4.7 bumper and rails? It would probably look a lot better (before and after). I DO plan on taking my Commander through the Rubicon someday.

PolarBZ
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/th_Commander.jpg (http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/SarahannZeski/Bryan%20Added/?action=view&current=Commander.flv)

I think this video has the same Commander on the Trail too.

BigPoppaJNutZ
07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
That is awesome! Cool video, thanks!!!

John
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I have run the Rubicon trail in my TJ. I saw GRAND Cherokees substantially lifted with 33" tires and rock rails they STILL suffered a lot of damage. I would NOT suggest taking a Commander on the Rubicon trail. john

Bill G
12-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the link. Good info. Can someone tell me specifically what options are required to get the badge on the 08 Commander? For example, which tranny, motor, suspension etc.

Thanks

cico7
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2317271080_25bd0ba31b.jpg?v=0

Here's an XK badge for ya!

TR4Runner
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
There was a YouTube video of that Commander being tested on the Rubicon. I searched, but couldn't find it anymore. Anyway, after looking at the pictures earlier in this thread, you can see that it got beat up pretty badly. The rear bumper cover became a casualty when it got snagged on a rock. The video showed it pretty clearly.

All in all, it's pretty amazing that the stock Commander was able to complete the Rubicon in as good shape as it did!

TR4Runner
12-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link. Good info. Can someone tell me specifically what options are required to get the badge on the 08 Commander? For example, which tranny, motor, suspension etc.

Thanks

You answer can be found here:

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/index.html

Yeggster
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I did someresearch on the "Trail Rated" badge ... First remeber for one thing Commanders are available in Two Wheel Drive ... they will not be Trail rated of course.

ONLY Jeeps are badged "Trail Rated®" .... it's a Jeep Trademark they aren't going to let anyone else use it.

"Trail Rated" tests the Jeeps off road abilitys .. the testign facility is well known and respected independant automotive tesitng facility called the NEVADA AUTOMOTIVE TEST CENTER, they do all kinds of testing there including Military Vehicles.

The "Trail rated" testes include 5 catagorys

Traction
Ground Clearance
Maneuverability
Articulation
Water Fording

There's a bunch of videos on the web site that show the tests the Jeeps have to go throguh ... things like

Articulation with one wheel 3 feet off the ground
Fording Water that washes up over the head lights
Racing up a concrete hill that's studdes with 4" thick blocks
Climbing up another hill that has really soft loose sand
etc

Check out the videos.

http://natc-ht.com/VTRCS_Testing.htm

adamag25
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I talked to a guy who saw a commander on the Rubicon trail jeep jamboree. He said that it did make it through to the end but it was not pretty. He said most of the plastic was ripped off and there was not one piece of sheet metal that wasn't dented.

RAILFAN
12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow. I'm glad I'll never willingly subject my Commander to that level of abuse, nor likely ever need to.

Still, it's good to know it has the ability built into it - all the better for holding up to more normal use over the long haul.

JeepDog
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
the gc i owned had the badge. i thought that was pretty cool, and i know first hand that she earned it. i now have an '08 overland w/o the badge. i'm somewhat confused. it's an overland. does that not imply she's earned her badge? i don't know if some feature makes her fall short of "trail rated".

a49erFan
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
JeepDog, Welcome, I moved your post to this thread, it will answer your question.

bruinfan90241
02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I also have an 2008 overland that doesn't have the trail rated badge on it. What gives?

a49erFan
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
bruinfan do you have 4Lo?

JeepDog's does if he has QD-II (shown in his signature) so his should have the "Trail Rated" tag.

JeepDog
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
am ni right in assuming the '08 overland is trail rated with it's quaddII? if so, why no stinkling badge?

a49erFan
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
if so, why no stinkling badge?

Another member had a XK without the badge and when he pointed it out to the dealer they installed one for him.

Ranger6882
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Badges............ we don't need know stinking badges.......its actually bigger tireshttp://i42.tinypic.com/v7ze4g.gif

a49erFan
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Badges............ we don't need know stinking badges.......its actually bigger tireshttp://i42.tinypic.com/v7ze4g.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Yeggster
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
youtube "badges" video

I like that ... EVRYONE says "we don't need no stiking badges" and it's a mis-quote ... it's not what he actualy says in the moive :)

udoxx
02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
If it is any help you really don't need any badges. My 2000 TJ doesn't have a badge but my 2005 Liberty does and I know for a fact my Liberty is not more capable than my Wrangler. It's just a marketing ploy but you all knew that, didn't you?

CUPRA
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I am disappointed that Jeep only took the time to make half my Jeep 'trail rated'. It appears they got bored and didn't test the passenger side, just the drivers side, being as that is the only side that says it is 'trail rated'.

Kinda like having one foot nailed to the floor... *sarcasm*

jeep5253
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
the gc i owned had the badge. i thought that was pretty cool, and i know first hand that she earned it. i now have an '08 overland w/o the badge. i'm somewhat confused. it's an overland. does that not imply she's earned her badge? i don't know if some feature makes her fall short of "trail rated".
The first few months of 2006 Commanders had the badge on both sides. Then they only put it on the drivers side. So it may be that now they are not using any trail rated badges at all.

PolarBZ
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Cutting costs!

brendon
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
What I found odd was that my "Trail Rated" Jeep did not come with tow hooks or skid plates

jeep5253
02-19-2009, 12:39 AM
What I found odd was that my "Trail Rated" Jeep did not come with tow hooks or skid plates
Not required to be Trail Rated but they are available as options.

PolarBZ
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Trail Rated just means it'll get over the trail, not that it'll be in one piece when it gets there.

a49erFan
02-19-2009, 09:25 AM

Mine was the same so I added the hooks & skid plates.

I also added a Trail Rated badge to the passenger side (gotta love eBay).

Yeggster
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
... I also added a Trail Rated badge to the passenger side (gotta love eBay).

How do they go on? .. do they have mouting studs / drilling needed?

Yeggster
02-19-2009, 10:00 AM
OH! :) are they all the same .... I got to get a second one and don;t want a mis matched pair.

I see on ebay they just stick on ... is that how your's went?

Jeeper64
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
There are a couple different variations of the "Trail Rated" badge.. make sure that you get the right one.... or you could just order a pair so they match

a49erFan
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
OH! :) I see on ebay they just stick on ... is that how your's went?

Yes they just stick on. The ones on e-bay that I purchased are not as nice as the OEM but since you can not see them both at the same time, you will never notive that they are just a little different.

Yeggster
02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes they just stick on. The ones on e-bay that I purchased are not as nice as the OEM but since you can not see them both at the same time, you will never notive that they are just a little different.

I was actualy thinking that :) ... but it would probably bug the crap out of me if they were not identical :)

I'll probably wait till summer (so it will actually sitck on) and order pair of them.

Hey ... just had an idea ... I could gold Plate the spare one and wear it like one of thoese big 1970's neck madalions! :)

TYMAC
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
At least you can only see one side at a time. Besides I went 2 weeks after purchase before I noticed it didn't have one on the passenger side. Call me Captain Obvious.

udoxx
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
When I get my Commander, (hell, if I get it!) You can have my badges!

dieselenthusiast
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
My 2007 KJ (Jeep Liberty) came with the trail rated badge but it didn’t come with the “off-road” package. The off-road package included all 4 skid plates, tow hooks, and heavy-duty cooling fan. So perhaps you may want to see if the XK had an off-road package that included such items. Off-road packages with some manufactures also include an extra transmission cooler, electric fan, ect.

brendon
02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Not required to be Trail Rated but they are available as options.

Right, but one would think that skids and hooks would be standard for anything sold as "trail rated".

"Sure we'll sell you the 'Trail Rated' package. Oh, you actually want to go on the trails? Then you'll need to buy the off-road package as well...":ugh2:

Jax
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Well I was wondering why mine did not have the badge. I guess my 08 QDII is just street rated,, no badge. I suspect the live tv in the back seat may have been the breaking point for the raters. Don't want some kid toating rolling chrome and leather clad video theather crawling around in the rocks with real 4x4s.

Actually I am glad mine has the capabilitys, but I don't think my insurance company would understand if I brought in looking like the one in the picture. And I doubt Chrysler Credit would either.

But I do appericate you guys who do go OR sharing your experience with us less daring Commander owner.

Swadehead
11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
I just read all 16 pages of this thread. ALL 16 pages. I still have no answer.

I have a 2010 Limited - Hemi, QTII, etc. Why no badge(s)?

Is my truck not trail rated or did they simply do away with the badges for 2010?

I actually just found this link (and several others that say the same thing) for the Trail Rated badge.

http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/55010_104.htm?sgsc=ASHOPGBASE&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

You will see that it says it fits 2006-2008 Jeep Commander. Is it possible that they stopped the Trail Rated badging for 2009 and 2010?

Is there anyone here with an 09 or 10 (that they purchased new) that came with a Trail Rated badge?

Also...for anyone that is interested, here are Part Numbers for the 2 different badges:

Gray w/Silver: 55157317AB

Gray w/Chrome: 55157318AB

SAL-XK
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not going to read this thread again but I though having the 4LO transfer case was pretty much all you needed to be trail rated. Because if you have that then you will meet all these requirements.

Traction 4LO transfer case
Ground Clearance same on all XK's
Maneuverability same on all XK's
Articulation same on all XK's
Water Fording extended vent tubes I'm guessing the same on all 4x4 systems but diffidently on the QT2 and QD2 which means 4LO transfer case

LibertyorDeath
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I just read all 16 pages of this thread. ALL 16 pages. I still have no answer.

Is my truck not trail rated or did they simply do away with the badges for 2010?

I actually just found this link (and several others that say the same thing) for the Trail Rated badge.

http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/55010_104.htm?sgsc=ASHOPGBASE&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

You will see that it says it fits 2006-2008 Jeep Commander. Is it possible that they stopped the Trail Rated badging for 2009 and 2010?

Is there anyone here with an 09 or 10 (that they purchased new) that came with a Trail Rated badge?

Also...for anyone that is interested, here are Part Numbers for the 2 different badges:

Gray w/Silver: 55157317AB

Gray w/Chrome: 55157318AB

With the OTII, you are definitely Trail Rated. For all Jeeps except the Compass the only thing that makes them not Trail Rated is lack of 4 Low. More likely they just forgot the badge or perhaps stopped putting them on for 2010's after the decision to D/C them.

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 07:57 AM
So I did some more research. I went to autotrader.com and searched for all the 2010 Limiteds I could find (new or Used). I chose to look at Limiteds because they were all guaranteed to have at least QT2; with many of them having QD2. I went thru almost all of the listings that had pictures. It appears that Trail Rated badges were indeed put on some 2010 models. Furthermore, the only ones that had the badges (that I could find) were cars with QD2, not QT2 (I verified this by the Quadra Drive badge under the shifter). My findings are in no way definitive, but they are telling.

For confirmation: Is there anyone here with a 2010 (or even an 09) that has QD2? If so, did your car come with a Trail rated badge? And on the flip side...anyone with a 2010 with QT2 (like me), do you or do you not have badges?

An afterthought: Since All 2010 Limiteds have QT2, could it be the skid plates and tow hooks that were part of the QD2 package for 2010 (and not the actual QD2 itself) that earned the Trail Rated designation?

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 08:21 AM
One more question...Is there anyone here that DOES NOT HAVE QD2, but DOES HAVE "Trail Rated" badges on their vehicle?

The year of your vehicle does not make a difference for THIS question. It is only required that you purchased your vehicle new. This is to remove the possibility that a previous owner added the badge(s) themself after they took delivery.

Yeggster
11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
One more question...Is there anyone here that DOES NOT HAVE QD2, but DOES HAVE "Trail Rated" badges on their vehicle?

The year of your vehicle does not make a difference for THIS question. It is only required that you purchased your vehicle new. This is to remove the possibility that a previous owner added the badge(s) themself after they took delivery.

Mine is a 2006 that came factory with NO Skip plates (just the plastic one) and no tow hooks ... it's QD II ... and has a factory "Trail Rated" badge

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Mine is a 2006 that came factory with NO Skip plates (just the plastic one) and no tow hooks ... it's QD II ... and has a factory "Trail Rated" badge

So it appears having QDII determines if you are deemed "Trail Rated" or not.

Anyone without QDII get "Trail Rated" badges (from the factory)?

superacerc
11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Nope. Mine is QTII and Trail Rated. It's based on a vague description by Jeep.

"
Before a Jeep® 4x4 is worthy of our name, we test it on some of the toughest off-road areas in the world, including Moab and the Rubicon Trail. If it passes these tests, in five categories - traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording - it gets a Trail Rated® badge, which means it can handle whatever obstacles you encounter. "

That's from Jeep They used to give a better description that was still vague.

This was an article from when the Trail Rating Began

"Jeep Trail Rated is an industry-leading methodology to objectively measure and predict off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles," said Jeff Bell, Vice President Jeep, DaimlerChrysler Corporation. "We created Jeep Trail Rated to communicate the legendary Jeep capability that is designed into every Jeep 4x4." Jeep Trail Rated is supported by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC), which has 45 years of off-road vehicle testing experience, including the creation of standards for the U.S. military.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news_030919_jeep/index.html#ixzz15YfQOzjT

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Nope. Mine is QTII and Trail Rated. It's based on a vague description by Jeep.

"
Before a Jeep® 4x4 is worthy of our name, we test it on some of the toughest off-road areas in the world, including Moab and the Rubicon Trail. If it passes these tests, in five categories - traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording - it gets a Trail Rated® badge, which means it can handle whatever obstacles you encounter. "

That's from Jeep They used to give a better description that was still vague.

This was an article from when the Trail Rating Began

"Jeep Trail Rated is an industry-leading methodology to objectively measure and predict off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles," said Jeff Bell, Vice President Jeep, DaimlerChrysler Corporation. "We created Jeep Trail Rated to communicate the legendary Jeep capability that is designed into every Jeep 4x4." Jeep Trail Rated is supported by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC), which has 45 years of off-road vehicle testing experience, including the creation of standards for the U.S. military.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news_030919_jeep/index.html#ixzz15YfQOzjT

So why would your vehicle be trail rated and mine be not?

I have a 2010 Limited - Hemi with QTII. Does not make sense to me.

lekmedm
11-17-2010, 11:56 AM

...and searched for all the 2010 Limiteds I could find (new or Used). I chose to look at Limiteds because they were all guaranteed to have at least QT2; with many of them having QD2...

Two things:

I believe the Limiteds were available with either the 4.7L or 5.7L engines. The 4.7L came with the QTII while ALL of the 5.7L Hemis came with QDII. Since you stated earlier that your XK has the Hemi, that means you have the QDII. To double-check, count the number of bolts on your rear diff cover. If there are 12 bolts, you have QDII. If there are 10 bolts, it's QTII.

Don't get hung up over a badge. Maybe it fell off, the previous owner took it off for a cleaner look, or whatever. I'm guessing you have the Hemi with QDII. That should also mean you have the steel skid plates. Don't sweat the small stuff. Go out wheelin'!!!

:orangehat:

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Two things:

I believe the Limiteds were available with either the 4.7L or 5.7L engines. The 4.7L came with the QTII while ALL of the 5.7L Hemis came with QDII. Since you stated earlier that your XK has the Hemi, that means you have the QDII. To double-check, count the number of bolts on your rear diff cover. If there are 12 bolts, you have QDII. If there are 10 bolts, it's QTII.

Don't get hung up over a badge. Maybe it fell off, the previous owner took it off for a cleaner look, or whatever. I'm guessing you have the Hemi with QDII. That should also mean you have the steel skid plates. Don't sweat the small stuff. Go out wheelin'!!!

:orangehat:

1. In 2010, all Limiteds came with the 5.7 L Hemi. Also standard on all Limiteds was QT2. QD2 was an option (that also included skid plates and tow hooks).

2. This is more curiosity than anything else. I think there should be a defined way of determining if a vehicle is "Trail Rated" or not. I am sure there is a definition that Jeep uses, I am just trying to figure out what it is. :mofo:

LibertyorDeath
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
1. In 2010, all Limiteds came with the 5.7 L Hemi. Also standard on all Limiteds was QT2. QD2 was an option (that also included skid plates and tow hooks).

2. This is more curiosity than anything else. I think there should be a defined way of determining if a vehicle is "Trail Rated" or not. I am sure there is a definition that Jeep uses, I am just trying to figure out what it is. :mofo:

I thought I put this link in my last post.

There are 5 requirements.

Traction, Ground Clearance, Maneuverability, Articulation, and Water Fording.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/

The video mentions skid plates so I bet that is a requirement now.

Shocker
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
i have a 3.7 with a two inch lift and 32's and i have the all wheel drive so i just turn off the traction control botton ...
ive have done the back way to Crown King ,AZ and if that's not something to set your standard for trail raiting, than get a bugy ...ha-ha ..that trail is where i mark my limit ...

put that on the badge :rofl:

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I thought I put this link in my last post.

There are 5 requirements.

Traction, Ground Clearance, Maneuverability, Articulation, and Water Fording.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/

The video mentions skid plates so I bet that is a requirement now.

My skid plates are coming this week. Just waiting to get my exhaust so I can get everything installed at once (all 3 skids, front and rear tow hooks, front and side wind deflectors, intake and exhaust). Once everything is done, I may have to slap some badges on it. :)

Also, I sent an email to Jeep asking for clarification. I included my VIN. Will let everyone know if I get a response.

superacerc
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM
It's quite baffeling to see some have it and some don't. Your QDII will have without doubt more traction than my QTII. Mine also didn't come with steel skid plates. I've just got the crappy plastic versions. I do have vent's on the differential which goes in the category of Water fording don't know if any came without it. I can't see how any commander would be less maneuverable, have less ground clearance, or less articulation than another so those seem irrelevant. Seems more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. Commanders are just plain capable. That's about all I can say.

a49erFan
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I do know that a member some time back did not have the badge and when he went to the dealer they ordered one because it accidently was left off at the factory so anything is possible.

tawoody
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I'll put all the conspiracies to sleep!! I've seen several members on here mention that they purposefully took their badges off! BAM! There's a possible answer for anyone who is missing one that should have it. These members said that those badges are ridiculous since most people driving with them will never take them off road and the true "off road badge" is hitting the darn trails and earning your "badge" that way.

Swadehead
11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I purchased my vehicle new from the dealer just over a month ago.

I highly doubt they took off the badge(s).

LibertyorDeath
11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I purchased my vehicle new from the dealer just over a month ago.

I highly doubt they took off the badge(s).

X2, pretty sure Jeep wouldn't much care for the dealer doing that.

XKDRIVER
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
They have the Trail rated badges for sale on several jeep accessories web sites for about $25.

HulaPie
07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
am ni right in assuming the '08 overland is trail rated with it's quaddII? if so, why no stinkling badge?

My 09 Overland has 18 inch wheels and 4Lo and QDII and I have no badge either. I'll contact Jeep and see if they'll send me one.

jeep5253
07-26-2014, 11:13 PM
My 09 Overland has 18 inch wheels and 4Lo and QDII and I have no badge either. I'll contact Jeep and see if they'll send me one.
Ebay.

HulaPie
07-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Ebay.

I bought one from Amazon.

Do they stick on? I've seen some pictures of them with screws.

jeep5253
07-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Stick on.

Mongo
07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I bought one from Amazon.

Do they stick on? I've seen some pictures of them with screws.
Years ago, when adhesive wasn't as good as it is today, many badges/emblems did have screws that would go into holes drilled in the body of the vehicle.

So you have seen badges/emblems for vehicles from years ago, OR, perhaps you saw some of the aftermarket badges/grills that seem to be popular, the screws extend through the opening of the grill to mount them on the grill of the vehicle.